Ad Performance Report And AdType

Eric Foertsch

Dec 20, 2018, 6:57:47 PM12/20/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hello,

I am trying to download some Ad Performance reports from the Google Ads API and I am hitting a strangely formatted error.

AdWordsReportsException: One or more AdWords Report download errors have occurred.

Customer passed in invalid field name for a report type. (Error: ReportDefinitionError.INVALID_FIELD_NAME_FOR_REPORT, FieldPath: AdType, Trigger: Cannot select a combination of AdType and )

Here are the fields I am requesting:

          // Attributes
          "AccountDescriptiveName",
          "AdGroupId",
          "CampaignId",
          "CampaignName",
          "CriterionId",
          "CriterionType",
          "ExternalCustomerId",
          "AdType",
          "Description",
          "Description1",
          "Description2",
          "DisplayUrl",
          "CreativeDestinationUrl",
          "ExpandedTextAdDescription2",
          "ExpandedTextAdHeadlinePart3",
          "CreativeFinalUrls",
          "Id",
          "Labels",
          "LabelIds",
          "ImageAdUrl",
          "ImageCreativeImageHeight",
          "ImageCreativeImageWidth",
          "ImageCreativeMimeType",
          "ImageCreativeName",
          "Status",

          // Segments
          "Device",
          "Date",

          // Metrics
          "Conversions",
          "AveragePosition",
          "Clicks",
          "Impressions",
          "Cost",
          "GmailForwards",
          "GmailSaves",
          "SearchImpressionShare",
          "VideoViews",
          "VideoViewRate",
          "VideoQuartile100Rate",
          "VideoQuartile25Rate",
          "VideoQuartile50Rate",
          "VideoQuartile75Rate"

 Looking at the documentation it doesn't look like there is a restriction on AdType even though the error says that there is one.

Has anyone encountered this error before?

Luis Xander Talag (AdWords API Team)

Dec 21, 2018, 1:09:28 AM12/21/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Eric,

The ReportDefinitionError.INVALID_FIELD_NAME_FOR_REPORT means a customer passed an invalid field name for a report type.

Could you provide the complete report definition you used as well as your clientCustomerId when you encountered the ReportDefinitionError.INVALID_FIELD_NAME_FOR_REPORT error so I could further check this. Please reply via Reply privately to author.

Thanks and regards,
Luis
AdWords API Team

Zweitze

Dec 24, 2018, 4:21:13 AM12/24/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Assuming you attempt to use AD_PERFORMANCE_REPORT make sure you only use fields compatible for exactly that type of report. For instance, you use SearchImpressionShare which is -AFAIK- not supported by AD_PERFORMANCE_REPORT.

You may be using more fields intended for other reports.

Dannison Yao (AdWords API Team)

Dec 25, 2018, 10:11:11 PM12/25/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Eric,

I am a colleague of Luis, allow me to provide additional support for your concern. Zweitze is correct, upon checking the fields you have provided, the field SearchImpressionShare is not supported in the Ad Performance Report. Could you try omitting this field and retry your request? This should fix the error.

Regards,
Dannison
AdWords API Team