Behaviour of include_zero_impressions when impressions are zero but conversions are non-zero

Travel Analytics

Feb 23, 2018, 8:19:09 AM2/23/18
to AdWords API Forum
We often have the case when we stop or pause a campaign that impressions for a few days are zero but conversions (which are attributed using the smart attribution) are non-zero on those days (our average booking cycles are +3 weeks).

I'm trying to understand the behaviour when include_zero_impressions=False in Adwords API calls. Is this equivalent to having a where clause:

WHERE Impressions > 0

If this is the case I'd appreciate any guidance on achieving something like:

WHERE SUM(All, Metric, Columns) > 0

To avoid loosing conversions on days where impressions are zero. I'd like to avoid setting include_zero_impressions=True due to the vast number of empty rows we get back on certain reports, which in most cases produces +1GB reports.

Milind Sankeshware (AdWords API Team)

Feb 23, 2018, 3:17:41 PM2/23/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

If include_zero_impressions is false, report output will not include rows where all specified metric fields are zero. Thus, even if this header is false and the Impressions of a row is zero, the row is still returned in case any of the specified metric fields have non-zero values. Setting zero impression to false is equivalent to impression > 0 in where clause. For more information please check this guide.

Thanks,
Milind, AdWords API Team.