How to add images to a search ad group?

lezhne...@gmail.com

May 9, 2022, 8:35:23 AM5/9/22
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
According to this document, it is possible to add images to search ad group to enrich the ads: https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/9566341?hl=en

Can you show an example of how to use APIs to do so? O could not find a way.

I tried to use "AdGroupAssets" but that failed, see my error log:

Request
-------
Method Name: /google.ads.googleads.v10.services.AdGroupAssetService/MutateAdGroupAssets
Host: googleads.googleapis.com
Headers: {
    "x-goog-api-client": "gl-php\/8.1.3 gccl\/14.0.0 gapic\/14.0.0 gax\/1.7.0 grpc\/1.44.0",
    "x-goog-request-params": "customer_id=XXXX",
    "developer-token": "REDACTED"
}
Request:
{"customerId":"
XXXX","operations":[{"create":{"adGroup":"customers/XXXX/adGroups/136095741963","asset":"customers/XXXX/assets/12360514046","fieldType":"SQUARE_MARKETING_IMAGE"}},{"create":{"adGroup":"customers/XXXX/adGroups/136095741963","asset":"customers/1926380188/assets/12363615942","fieldType":"SQUARE_MARKETING_IMAGE"}},{"create":{"adGroup":"customers/XXXX/adGroups/136095741963","asset":"customers/XXXX/assets/12363620082","fieldType":"MARKETING_IMAGE"}}]}

Response
-------
Headers: {
    "request-id": "xaUKOsYsF9-tkFeomyp4-w",
    "date": "Mon, 09 May 2022 12:30:03 GMT",
    "alt-svc": "h3=\":443\"; ma=2592000,h3-29=\":443\"; ma=2592000,h3-Q050=\":443\"; ma=2592000,h3-Q046=\":443\"; ma=2592000,h3-Q043=\":443\"; ma=2592000,quic=\":443\"; ma=2592000; v=\"46,43\""
}

Fault
-------
Status code: 3
Details: Request contains an invalid argument.
Failure: {"errors":[{"errorCode":{"assetLinkError":"UNSUPPORTED_FIELD_TYPE"},"message":"The given field type is not supported to be added directly via asset links.","trigger":{"stringValue":"SQUARE_MARKETING_IMAGE"},"location":{"fieldPathElements":[{"fieldName":"operations","index":0},{"fieldName":"create"},{"fieldName":"field_type"}]}},{"errorCode":{"assetLinkError":"UNSUPPORTED_FIELD_TYPE"},"message":"The given field type is not supported to be added directly via asset links.","trigger":{"stringValue":"SQUARE_MARKETING_IMAGE"},"location":{"fieldPathElements":[{"fieldName":"operations","index":1},{"fieldName":"create"},{"fieldName":"field_type"}]}},{"errorCode":{"assetLinkError":"UNSUPPORTED_FIELD_TYPE"},"message":"The given field type is not supported to be added directly via asset links.","trigger":{"stringValue":"MARKETING_IMAGE"},"location":{"fieldPathElements":[{"fieldName":"operations","index":2},{"fieldName":"create"},{"fieldName":"field_type"}]}}],"requestId":"xaUKOsYsF9-tkFeomyp4-w"}

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

May 10, 2022, 9:37:47 PM5/10/22
to lezhne...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dmitriy,

Thank you for posting your concern.

To further check the issue, could you provide the complete request and response logs with request ID and request header generated on your end without redacted fields?

You can provide it via Reply privately to author option. If this option is not available, then send it instead on this email address googleadsa...@google.com.

Regards,
Google Logo
Ernie John
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2aqzGG:ref

lezhne...@gmail.com

May 11, 2022, 1:33:38 AM5/11/22
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
request id: xaUKOsYsF9-tkFeomyp4-w

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

May 12, 2022, 6:56:21 AM5/12/22
to lezhne...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dmitriy,

Thank you for getting back to us. I am also a member of the Google Ads API team.

Moving forward, kindly note that asset extensions (image assets) are currently not supported. You may check this documentation as it contains the supported asset extension types.

Also, as per this blog post, you can see here that for image asset extensions, developers can migrate manually on Q3 of 2022.

Regards,
Google Logo
Carmela
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2aqzGG:ref

Dmitriy Lezhnev

May 12, 2022, 7:37:45 AM5/12/22
to Google Ads API Forum Advisor, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for the links. Now it all makes sense. So to summarize, we can't use images in search ads over API until (approx) the end of this year?
--
Dmitriy Lezhnev

Github: lezhnev74
Twitter: @dimalezhnev

Timezone: UTC+5

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

May 13, 2022, 4:41:44 AM5/13/22
to lezhne...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dmitriy,

Thank you for the clarification. Also to clarify, you should be able to create image ads, as per this guide .

As for Image Asset extensions, yes, you can’t use it because it is currently not supported, but I'm afraid that we can't confirm now the date that it will be supported. For it’s availability, you may refer to this blog post , and keep an eye on our blog for updates.

Best regards,
Google Logo
Heidi
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2aqzGG:ref

Jan Jouke Tjalsma

Jul 12, 2022, 6:15:27 AM7/12/22
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hi Heidi,

Is there any update on image asset extensions (on ad group level)? At the moment we are able to create image assets using the UI, but not programmatically. The blog post you linked still says "Developers can start migrating in Q3 2022" (and we are currently in Q3).

We have tried using Ads API v11 creating the image extensions extensionfeedsettings and adgroupassets but neither seems to work although creation of the image assets itself works fine.

Is it correct that the only way to add these currently is the UI of Google Ads?

Kind regards,

Jan Jouke

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jul 12, 2022, 9:13:20 AM7/12/22
to neoh...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

I work with Heidi. According to our  documentation the Ads API still don't support asset based image extensions. Currently we are still in Q3.
Regards,

Google Logo
Aryeh
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2aqzGG:ref

Mattias Nyman

Jan 22, 2024, 9:07:18 AMJan 22
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hi everyone and especially the Google Reps. Any news on this topic? Is it still not possible to add Image extensions to Search Ads using the Google Ads API? Any insight in when this will become available?

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Jan 22, 2024, 1:22:21 PMJan 22
to mat...@flygresor.se, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us.

As per the client library 'Add Responsive Search Ad Full' Python code, it is possible to add Image extension to Responsive Search ad. Hope this helps.

This message is in relation to case "ref:!00D1U01174p.!5004Q02aqzGG:ref"

Thanks,

Google Logo Google Ads API Team

Daniel Larsson

Feb 2, 2024, 8:01:30 AMFeb 2
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
The code example "Add Responsive Search Ad Full" uses the ExtensionFeedItemService to get an image extension. According to this https://groups.google.com/g/adwords-api/c/xok3dLXYqBQ/m/dQ_s5MUkAQAJ the "Extension setting services are deprecated and will be removed in an upcoming release".

Do you have any notes regarding this? I guess the code example is no good.

Regards, Daniel

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Feb 2, 2024, 11:16:23 AMFeb 2
to boda...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us.

From August 2, 2023, we started auto-migration of image and location extensions to assets. The auto-migration ended on September 30, 2023. Once the image and location extensions have been migrated to assets, you won’t be able to mutate the image and location extensions. When the migration is complete, you will have access to the assets. You may refer to this blog post for more information. Hope this helps.

Daniel Larsson

Feb 5, 2024, 4:44:46 AMFeb 5
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hi, thanks!

In my case I have never used the ExtensionFeedItemService. And as it is deprecated I won’t use it.

But I am very interested in adding images to ads of type "responsive search" via the Google Ads API. According to https://developers.google.com/google-ads/api/docs/assets/overview#asset_types_linked_to_ads it is not possible to link assets of type image to an ad of type "responsive search ad". I can add images to an ad of type "responsive search ad" in the Google Ads web user interface (ads.google.com) though. In the Google Ads web interface the image is called "image extension". I can add an image (image extension) in the web interface, but I don’t think I can see it or update it using the Google Ads API. Or, am I doing something wrong?

My next attempt will be to link an asset of type AD_IMAGE to an ad group – using the Google Ads API. According to
https://developers.google.com/google-ads/api/docs/assets/overview#asset_types_linked_to_customers_campaigns_and_ad_groups you seem to be able to link an asset of type AD_IMAGE to an ad group (or a campaign). Will this add an image (as an image extension) to my ads?

Regards, Daniel

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Feb 5, 2024, 9:55:56 AMFeb 5
to boda...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Yes, according to this document, it is still not supported to add images to ads of the type 'Responsive search'.

With regard to your question on linking an asset of type AD_IMAGE to an ad group, I am checking with the rest of our team and one of our colleagues will reach out to you once we have an update. Meanwhile, your patience is highly appreciated.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Feb 5, 2024, 4:27:41 PMFeb 5
to boda...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for getting back to us.

You can link an asset to an ad group with an AdGroupAsset. I suggest you refer to this AdGroupAsset documentation for more information. Also, you can use CampaignAsset or CustomerAsset as well to link at other levels. There are objects that represent links among assets, asset sets, ad groups, campaigns, and customers, I recommend you to go through this asset documentation for more information.

Please feel free to get back to us if you have any queries.

Daniel Larsson

Feb 6, 2024, 2:59:10 AMFeb 6
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
I understand that you can link an image (asset type) as AD_IMAGE (asset field type) to an ad group or a campaign.

My next questions:

1. If I add an "image extension" in the Google Ads web user interface, can I get that information when fetching the ad (or ad group) using the Google Ads API?

2. If I link an AD_IMAGE asset to an ad group using the Google Ads API – will that image be displayed as an "image extension" when the ads (all ads in the ad group) are displayed on Google Search?

3. What is the difference between an AD_IMAGE (linked to an ad group or a campaign) and an "image extension" (added to an ad using the Google Ads web user interface)?

Regards, Daniel

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Feb 6, 2024, 8:52:45 AMFeb 6
to boda...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Please find the answers for your questions below:

1. If I add an "image extension" in the Google Ads web user interface, can I get that information when fetching the ad (or ad group) using the Google Ads API?
  • Yes, according to this Blog Post, metrics for the extensions will be available until sometime in 2024.
2. If I link an AD_IMAGE asset to an ad group using the Google Ads API – will that image be displayed as an "image extension" when the ads (all ads in the ad group) are displayed on Google Search?
  • We have auto-migrated image and location extensions to assets, which ended on September 15, 2023. After the migration, you won’t be able to access the image and location extensions. The image and location assets will be the entities that are served. So, the image will be displayed as an asset instead of an extension.
3. What is the difference between an AD_IMAGE (linked to an ad group or a campaign) and an "image extension" (added to an ad using the Google Ads web user interface)?
  • As we have auto-migrated image and location extensions to assets, you will not be able to create image extensions in the UI. So, now you can link image assets to customers, campaigns, or ad groups through linkage objects.
I hope this clarifies. You can get back to us if you still have any issues/concerns related to the Google Ads API.

Daniel Larsson

Feb 6, 2024, 12:05:39 PMFeb 6
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
You say that "As we have auto-migrated image and location extensions to assets, you will not be able to create image extensions in the UI. So, now you can link image assets to customers, campaigns, or ad groups through linkage objects."

An image extension is linked to an ad – not an ad group, campaign or customer. Different ads within the same ad group could have different image extensions. How are these migrated to assets? I understand that they end up as assets, but what do you link them to? Are all images (for different ads) linked to the same ad group?

Regards, Daniel

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Feb 6, 2024, 4:33:36 PMFeb 6
to boda...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Kindly note that the image extensions were linked to individual ads, not ad groups, campaigns, or customers. These are migrated to assets in the following ways:​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​
  • Individual Image Assets: Each image extension becomes an individual image asset in the Google Ads platform.
  • Linking: You no longer directly link these images to specific ads. Instead, you associate them with ad groups or campaigns.
I would suggest you refer to the help center article About image assets to get more information.

Daniel Larsson

Feb 7, 2024, 3:26:43 AMFeb 7
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hi, nice thanks! I will try to upload images as assets and then link them to ad groups.

One final (?) question :-)
* After linking an image asset to an ad group (or campaign, or customer) – will the image show up in the ad previews in the Google Ads web user interface? So I can verify that the linking works.

Regards, Daniel

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Feb 7, 2024, 6:43:39 AMFeb 7
to boda...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Yes, the images will show up in the ad previews in the Google Ads account. I would suggest you to check the article How it works for more information. Also, you may follow the article Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool which helps identify why your ad or ad asset might not be appearing. Hope this helps.

Daniel Larsson

Feb 9, 2024, 3:59:24 AMFeb 9
to Google Ads API and AdWords API Forum
Hi again :-)

I am now linking images as AD_IMAGE assets to ad groups. The linked image assets show up as linked image resources in the Google Ads web user interface. I hope that the linked image assets will show up in the resulting ad on Google search. This has not been verified yet.

But, when editing an ad (editing headlines, descriptions etc) in the Google Ads web interface I cannot see the linked images. It seems like the AD_IMAGE needs to be linked to the campaign (instead of the ad group). Otherwise it wont show up.

And, I cannot see the linked images (AD_IMAGE assets linked to ad groups) in the ad previews (when editing an ad in the Google Ads web interface) either.

I have not yet verified that the AD_IMAGE assets linked to ad groups show up in ads on Google search. I hope it works :-)

Regards, Daniel

Google Ads API Forum Advisor

Feb 9, 2024, 9:56:46 AMFeb 9
to boda...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Kindly note that you can add the field AD_IMAGE to the campaign as well as the ad group. Also, note that when you create image assets at ad group level or campaign level, keep your account structure in mind because

  • Ad Group level provides for the strictest relevance, assuming a well structured account.
  • Campaign level provides for faster implementation in cases where images will be relevant to all ads within the campaign.
I would recommend you to kindly refer to the "Best practices to create effective image assets" help center article for more information. Since your issue is more related to the Google Ads UI, I would recommend you to reach out to the Google Ads Product support team as they are better equipped to address your concerns. Please note that our team can only assist with the technical queries or concerns related to the Google Ads API.