AREA_OF_INTEREST - not available for shopping campaigns?

Robert Rodakowski

Sep 19, 2016, 9:16:26 AM9/19/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

As described in latest release notes and also announced here, AREA_OF_INTEREST as a part of positive geo-targeting will no longer be applicable to display campaigns. However, as we observed, it is not possible to set AREA_OF_INTEREST for shopping campaigns as well It works in AdWords UI, but using API (v201607) we get an error:

Operation not permitted for campaign type (triggered by: AREA_OF_INTEREST).

I'm a bit confused. Could you please explain, whether this behavior is intentional?

Best Regards,
Robert.

Vishal Vinayak (Adwords API Team)

Sep 19, 2016, 5:34:34 PM9/19/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Robert,

As per our latest blog post on the topic, this setting would not be available on all non-search campaigns (including display and shopping campaigns). You would be able to use this setting only on search campaigns with a changed scope (as detailed in the second paragraph of the blog post).

Regards,
Vishal, AdWords API Team

Robert Rodakowski

Sep 20, 2016, 3:28:19 AM9/20/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Vishal,

Thank you for clarifications!
To be honest I've been always thinking about shopping campaigns being more like search, rather than display, as shopping ads appear alongside Google search results... Anyway, thanks once again.

Regards,
Robert.