Performance Reports on Paused Campaigns

PI.X

Jul 12, 2018, 5:14:41 AM7/12/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi,

We are finding that we cannot retrieve data on paused campaigns in some performance reports. Using the following query (python dict notation):

geo_q = {

'reportName': 'Missing Paused Campaigns',

'dateRangeType': 'CUSTOM_DATE',

'reportType': 'GEO_PERFORMANCE_REPORT',

'downloadFormat': 'CSV',

'selector': {

'fields': ['Date', 'CountryCriteriaId', 'CampaignName', 'CampaignStatus'],

'dateRange': {

'min': '20171001',

'max': '20171231',

},

'predicates': [

{

'field': 'CampaignStatus',

'operator': 'IN',

'values': ['PAUSED', 'REMOVED']

},

],

},
}

Where we have data visible in the UI for some paused campaigns, we only get results for our removed campaigns.

Meanwhile, if we request a Campaign Performance Report over the same date range, we do get our paused campaigns:
campaign_q = {

'reportName': 'Missing Paused Campaigns',

'dateRangeType': 'CUSTOM_DATE',

'reportType': 'CAMPAIGN_PERFORMANCE_REPORT',

'downloadFormat': 'CSV',

'selector': {

'fields': ['Date', 'CampaignName', 'CampaignStatus'],

'dateRange': {

'min': '20171001',

'max': '20171231',

},

'predicates': [

{

'field': 'CampaignStatus',

'operator': 'IN',

'values': ['PAUSED', 'REMOVED']

},

],

},
}

Using the above definitions, we loaded the results into dataframes:
geo = pd.read_csv(rd.DownloadReportAsStream(geo_q, skip_report_header=True, skip_report_summary=True))
camp
= pd.read_csv(rd.DownloadReportAsStream(camp_q, skip_report_header=True, skip_report_summary=True))
print(set(geo['Campaign state']))
print(set(camp['Campaign state']))

# output:
# {'removed'}
# {'removed', 'paused'}

We're just curious to know if this is a bug or if for some reasons some reports are simply not available for paused campaigns while they are available for removed campaigns.

Best,
PI.X

Dhanya Sundararaju (AdWords API Team)

Jul 12, 2018, 2:57:09 PM7/12/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi PI.X,

Thank you for sending the details. I was able to test this on my test account and found that I was indeed able to get paused Campaigns in Geo Performance Report. In order to troubleshoot further, could you please reply back with your client customer id and specific examples of where you find the data discrepancy?

Regards,
Dhanya, AdWords API Team

PI.X

Jul 12, 2018, 8:23:59 PM7/12/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Dhanya,

Thanks for your reply. My Client Customer ID is 419-012-1505. The data discrepancy should be reproducible with the queries above. The queries have identical selectors, but are requesting different reports. In the Geo Performance Report however, there is no information on the Paused campaigns from that time period, while the Campaign Performance Report does include data on those.

Best,
PI.X

Dhanya Sundararaju (AdWords API Team)

Jul 13, 2018, 2:23:08 PM7/13/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi PI.X,

Thank you for sending the details. I was able to see the difference between UI and API. The paused Campaigns with CampaignIds: 970606533 and 995598659 are both Universal App campaigns which do not show up on Geo Performance Report. Please refer this section of guide for better clarity. Instead you can use the CAMPAIGN_LOCATION_TARGET_REPORT but please note that it is only for campaign level location targets. Please give it a try and let me know if you still face issues.

PI.X

Jul 15, 2018, 8:38:48 PM7/15/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Dhanya,

Thanks again for your reply. I see that the issue is not to do with Campaign Status but due to the campaign type. I'm a little confused by this however, as I can see the breakdowns of the Geo Performance Report using the UI. The Campaign Location Target Report can only show performance in the targeted locations; is there any way to get the performance breakdowns overall, as we can in the UI?

Best,
PI.X

Dhanya Sundararaju (AdWords API Team)

Jul 16, 2018, 2:50:53 PM7/16/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi PI.X,

You are correct. I am afraid, the breakdown is available via UI but not via API for UAC Campaigns. However, I can request my team to include it as a feature request in future release if possible.

PI.X

Jul 16, 2018, 9:43:16 PM7/16/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Dhanya,

It would be great if this could be added as a feature in a future release. Thank you for clearing up my confusing on the matter.

Best,
PI.X