GCLID from TrueView Discovery Campaigns

Hardly Creative

Jul 22, 2020, 11:52:08 PM7/22/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
We'd like to be able to pull the GCLID of all users who trigger the 'earned view' metric in Google Ads which come from TrueView Discovery campaigns. Since the user stays on YouTube that is obviously impossible to pull at the moment. The Click Performance Report also doesn't seem to include this information.

We have some fairly extensive use cases for why this would be useful. Happy to write up a feature request if there was a good way to do that.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Jul 23, 2020, 2:39:04 PM7/23/20
to a...@hardlycreative.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. Discovery campaigns are currently not supported, but a feature request has already been put in place for it in Google Ads API. When it becomes available in future releases, you can find updates on our blog

We will welcome any additional feedback you would like to provide for this feature request as we are always looking to improve our product. If you would like to provide your use cases, please don't hesitate to do so!

Regards,
Danica, Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q22YQiX:ref

Hardly Creative

Jul 23, 2020, 2:44:18 PM7/23/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Danica, it's not the new Discovery campaign type we are looking at. It's TrueView Video Discovery (YouTube) campaigns which were merged with AdWords in 2015.

And our request is related to being able to pull the GCLID from the Click Performance Report from the API with an additional metric attached so we can appropriately use Google Ads machine learning for our KPI.

We've determined the only way to do this is use the offline conversion tool, but of course, we need the GCLID to accomplish that.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Jul 24, 2020, 1:31:21 PM7/24/20
to a...@hardlycreative.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Unfortunately, this is currently not possible since YouTube Earned Action field such as Earned Views is not available in the API. There is currently a feature request to add them in.

Regards,
Anthony

Hardly Creative

Jul 27, 2020, 11:19:01 AM7/27/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Ok, thank you for confirming.

The interesting thing is we do pull in those metrics daily to Data Studio for all clients using the Google Ads connector. I wonder how that's possible if it's not even a metric that can be pulled from the API?

Would it be possible to add to that feature request to also make it possible to pull the GCLID for all earned actions reported in Google Ads via the API? Possibly via the Video Performance Report? If we could pull GCLID as a dimension, and the earned actions as a metric, that would be absolutely perfect.

Those metrics are the primary KPI for our client base (record labels and other entertainment industry companies), and we really need to be able to log those events as a conversion in Google Ads so we can better optimize all campaigns and use Google's machine learning capabilities.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Jul 27, 2020, 3:45:20 PM7/27/20
to a...@hardlycreative.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The Google Ads connector may be pulling from the Google Ads UI rather than the API. I'll be happy to push these details to the feature request for you.