Google Click ID (GCLID) will now be generated at impression-time

Shay BarChen

Oct 9, 2016, 4:47:07 AM10/9/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,
Just to make sure that I'v understand the following change -

"In Q4 2016, we will change the timing of GCLID generation to impression time (or when your ad is shown) instead. As a result, if a user clicks on a particular ad impression multiple times, those clicks will be associated with only one GCLID. Consequently, landing page visits for the exact same impression will share the same GCLID value. "

Today, every time the user clicks on an Ad, He gets a new GCLID - Always . That to say that one AD ID can have Many GCLIDs in the click performance reports

After the Change -

One AD ID will have one GCLID Only if the user clicked several times on the same Ad in the same search results page.  But without refreshing the search results page or searching again and being exposed to the same AD )

Actions such as re-searching ( even if searching for the same query search) or refreshing the search results page or re-opening the browser and re-searching for the same query as before - will generate a new GCLID every time. Even if the same AD is being displayed and clicked by the user.

Is the above correct ?

Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)

Oct 10, 2016, 9:37:02 AM10/10/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Shay,

Yes, that is correct. Doing a new search results in a new impression, which means at that point a new GCLID will be generated.

Cheers,
Nadine, AdWords API Team

Shay BarChen

Oct 16, 2016, 12:11:42 AM10/16/16