What is difference of MediaFile and Asset?

Yang Wenjun

Nov 9, 2019, 5:59:42 AM11/9/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Team,

I found that MediaFile is very similar with Asset.
Also, when I tried to create UAC with Images, I found media_id got before ( uploaded with Adwords API )  is not useful now.
Need to use Asset in Google Ads API

So my question is: What is the difference when dealing with UAC?
Should we get rid of MediaFile totally ?

Thanks!
Wenjun

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Nov 11, 2019, 12:21:10 PM11/11/19
to yang.ra...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yang,

Please note that Assets and Media are completely different and not related to each other in any way. They both store similar kinds of information, but they are not interchangeable, and using one in place of other will always result in blank data. The asset resource is for managing assets for asset-based ads. The media is for upload/get media to be used in ads. For creating/managing App Campaigns, you will need to use the asset resource to add any ad group ad assets. Please refer to this guide for more information.

Other ad types that do not have assets will use MediaFile. For example, Gmail ads and Image ads. You may find this documentation helpful to locate as to which ad types support MediaFile.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Bharani, Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5001UMWmo2:ref