CampaignGroup ID scope of uniqueness

Marcel Zemp

Mar 5, 2018, 4:20:26 AM3/5/18
to AdWords API Forum
What is the scope of uniqueness of the CampaignGroup ID? Is the scope also global, i.e. the CampaignGroup ID is globally unique?

The documentation here does unfortunately not specify it. This should probably be updated.

Bharani Cherukuri (AdWords API Team)

Mar 5, 2018, 1:18:51 PM3/5/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Marcel,

Some IDs are unique on a global level across all AdWords accounts while others are unique within the confined scope. CampaignGroupId is unique to the account and is not globally available.

Regards,
Bharani, AdWords API Team

Marcel Zemp

Mar 6, 2018, 2:47:25 PM3/6/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Bharani

Thanks for your answer. Just to be clear: you say that the (Account ID, CampaignGroup ID) pair is globally unique?

It would be good if you guys can update the documentation accordingly.

Regards Marcel

Bharani Cherukuri (AdWords API Team)

Mar 6, 2018, 3:51:10 PM3/6/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Marcel,

The (Account ID, CampaignGroup ID) pair may or may not be globally unique. But the CampaignGroupId is unique at the account level. However, I have shared your feedback with the team. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Bharani, AdWords API Team

Marcel Zemp

Mar 12, 2018, 4:27:48 AM3/12/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Bharani

Now I'm a bit confused. If the pair (Account ID, CampaignGroup ID) "may or may not be globally unique" but "the CampaignGroupId is unique at the account level", this would imply that the Account ID is not globally unique. How could that be? Can you be a bit more precise here?

Thanks for adding and clarifying this in the documentation as soon as possible as well. This is very important and should certainly part of a good documentation.

Regards Marcel

Vincent Racaza (AdWords API Team)

Mar 12, 2018, 5:09:39 AM3/12/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Marcel,

I am a teammate of Bharani and will provide support to you as she is OOO.

Account ID is globally unique (as any AdWords account with a clientCustomerId is unique) but CampaignGroup ID is only unique at the account level. So when you have the pair (Account ID, CampaignGroup ID), then this pair is also considered globally unique, similar to your Account ID being globally unique.

Thanks,
Vincent
AdWords API Team

Marcel Zemp

Mar 12, 2018, 6:54:38 AM3/12/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Vincent

Thanks, this makes things clear.

Regards Marcel

Marcel Zemp

Apr 23, 2018, 9:38:09 AM4/23/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Vincent

I was thinking about this again. In the Campaign Group Performance Report, the account ID (or ExternalCustomerId in API nomenclature *) is currently not available. I would interpret this that the campaign group ID is globally unique and not just within an account as you've stated earlier. If not, you should quickly make the account ID in that report available as well. Else there is no way to distinguish campaign groups between different accounts.

Ciao Marcel

* Your nomenclature is quite confusing sometimes: You talk of accounts in the GUI (e.g. account ID), in the API it is called ExternalCustomerId and the header of the report file says "Customer ID". What is that object called now? Account, external customer or customer?

Vincent Racaza (AdWords API Team)

Apr 24, 2018, 12:13:33 AM4/24/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Marcel,

The CampaignGroupId is only unique at the account level. For the Campaign Group Performance Reporteven though the ExternalCustomerId field is not available in this report type, you can always assume that the reporting data is bound to your account which is set in the properties file as you can only generate report on the client account level.

On your end, you can do a post-processing to add an ExternalCustomerid in this report if you want to distinguish it between the same report from other client accounts.

Also, my apologies if the terminologies that I am using confused you. The terms ExternalCustomerId, CustomerId and AccountId are the same, so you can also use it interchangeably, and we can still understand that you mean the same thing.

Marcel Zemp

Apr 24, 2018, 2:50:10 AM4/24/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Vincent

Thanks for your feedback. What is then the reason why you do not provide the ExternalCustomerId in the Campaign Group Performance Report? Having this field available directly in the report would be much easier and convenient than enriching the data in a post-processing step. In other reports, the ExternalCustomerId is also available. So I don't see a reason why this should not be possible.

Please consider making the ExternalCustomerId available in the Campaign Group Performance Report. Thanks!

Ciao Marcel

Vincent Racaza (AdWords API Team)

Apr 24, 2018, 4:29:14 AM4/24/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Marcel,

Based on your suggestion, I have created a feature request for this. However, this does not guarantee that the change will indeed be implemented. You can just follow our blog to receive any future updates like new releases.