Structure Report for CustomerNegativeCriterion

Dorian Kind

Feb 26, 2018, 4:30:02 AM2/26/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

since API version 201710 there is the possibility to add negative criteria on the account level via the CustomerNegativeCriterionService. As there can be up to 65,000 of these negative criteria, I was a bit surprised to find that apparently there is no structure report that can be used to determine which negative placements already are set on an account in order to not upload these again.

So it appears that we'll have to use the CustomerNegativeCriterionService in order to retrieve the list of existing CustomerNegativeCriterion instances, but this is not necessarily straightforward because of the page size limit of 10'000 entries and the fact that there is no obvious way of segmenting the result (you obviously cannot fetch them separately by campaign or ad group ID, for example). Taking that into account, I was wondering whether we should just upload our local list of negative criteria without first checking if there are any criteria already present. Or is there a better way of synchronizing account-level negative criteria?

Thanks for any feedback and best regards,
Dorian

Bharani Cherukuri (AdWords API Team)

Feb 26, 2018, 2:42:49 PM2/26/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Dorian,

There are several report types that you could use to retrieve the campaign level negative criteria. You may use Campaign Negative Placements Performance ReportCampaign Negative Keywords Performance Report and Campaign Negative Locations Report to retrieve the excluded placement, keywords and locations information.

To retrieve the account level negative criteria, it is currently not possible using API reports. You will need to use the CustomerNegativeCriterionService or use Shared sets to manage this criteria.

Bharani, AdWords API Team

Dorian Kind

Feb 27, 2018, 3:19:25 AM2/27/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Bharani,

thanks for your response. I understand there's a number of reports for campaign level negative criteria, however I am interested in the account/customer level ones.
Also, I'm a bit surprised you mention Shared Sets, as from what I can tell they don't support CustomerNegativeCriterion. Can you clarify?

Best regards,
Dorian

Bharani Cherukuri (AdWords API Team)

Feb 27, 2018, 3:06:43 PM2/27/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Dorian,

That's right, for account level negative criteria, the only option is to use CustomerNegativeCriterionService to exclude specific criteria across all campaigns in your client account. You will be able to add your local list of negative criteria from the API. However, if the criteria already exists then it will not create a duplicate entry in the UI.

If you're looking to create a central list of negative placements or keywords and add it to all your campaigns you can take a look at Shared sets at the campaign level. Let me know if you have any other questions.

cv

Mar 7, 2018, 2:49:41 AM3/7/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Bharani,

I am not able to get/add AccountLevel Negative Keywords using CustomerNegativeCriterionService .
I think account level Negative Keywords get/add is not supported till date.

Is it true? Or I am missing something here.

Thanks,

Bharani Cherukuri (AdWords API Team)

Mar 7, 2018, 1:09:53 PM3/7/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

That's right. The CustomerNegativeCriterionService supports only the negative criteria mentioned in this guide at the account level. You could consider taking a look at Shared sets to manage negative keywords. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Bharani, AdWords API Team