AuthenticationError.NOT_ADS_USER

adwords...@lioncita.com

Dec 22, 2017, 3:47:47 PM12/22/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hello there,

I am getting the following error when querying Adwords API:

<reportDownloadError>
  <ApiError>
    <type>AuthenticationError.NOT_ADS_USER</type>
    <trigger>&lt;null&gt;</trigger>
    <fieldPath></fieldPath>
  </ApiError>
</reportDownloadError>

I read the troubleshooting part of the documentation, but I am clearly not in the situation that is described in there.

Here is what I did in terms of configuration:
  1. I created a Manager Account (adwords...@lioncita.com) to get a developer token.
  2. With that same account, I got from the Google API Console Credentials page, a client id and a client secret.
  3. I created a Manager Test Account (adwords.my-t...@lioncita.com)
  4. From that account, I created a Client Test Account.
  5. I granted myself (leonid.iv...@gmail.com) administrative access to that Client Test Account.

Then, here is how I am trying to query the API:

  1. Via OAuth2.0, I authorize my app (identified by the developer token, client id and client secret coming from the Manager Account) to query the Client Test Account on behalf on myself
  2. I do the following query:
    SELECT CampaignId, AdGroupId, Impressions, Clicks, Cost FROM ADGROUP_PERFORMANCE_REPORT WHERE AdGroupStatus IN [ENABLED, PAUSED] DURING LAST_7_DAYS
  3. And I receive the error message described above

For more details, see the sequence of HTTP requests and responses below:

My app redirects the user (myself) to the following url:

https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/auth?client_id=100369740038-n0d6tm4jba0c34ikdcv14rssenr9c5uq.apps.googleusercontent.com&response_type=code&scope=https://www.googleapis.com/auth/adwords&redirect_uri=https://api.lioncita.com/oauth.php&access_type=offline&prompt=consent

After the user grants authorization, my app get the code in the callback.

With that code, my app requests an access token:

Then, with that access token, my app tries to pull the data:

I have spent a long time trying to figure out what is happening here.
Thanks in advance for your help,

Best,
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3
Auto Generated Inline Image 4

adwords...@lioncita.com

Dec 26, 2017, 2:19:28 PM12/26/17
to AdWords API Forum
Anyone?

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 12:47:47 PM UTC-8, adwords...@lioncita.com wrote:
Hello there,

I am getting the following error when querying Adwords API:

<reportDownloadError>
  <ApiError>
    <type>AuthenticationError.NOT_ADS_USER</type>
    <trigger>&lt;null&gt;</trigger>
    <fieldPath></fieldPath>
  </ApiError>
</reportDownloadError>

I read the troubleshooting part of the documentation, but I am clearly not in the situation that is described in there.

Here is what I did in terms of configuration:
  1. I created a Manager Account (adwords...@lioncita.com) to get a developer token.
  2. With that same account, I got from the Google API Console Credentials page, a client id and a client secret.
  1. I created a Manager Test Account (adwords.my-test-account-1@lioncita.com)
  1. From that account, I created a Client Test Account.
  2. I granted myself (leonid.iv...@gmail.com) administrative access to that Client Test Account.

Zweitze

Dec 27, 2017, 3:05:54 AM12/27/17
to AdWords API Forum
That error means that you used a login without an AdWords MCC or AdWords account. Maybe it's also possible with an empty MCC.

So, in your second step one, choose a login which actually has rights to your AdWords account "779-xxx-xxxxx". Note that the dialog may not always show the login it will actually use. Usually it has a link "use a different accoount" (or something like that), allowing you to choose a login. Do ensure you use the right login.

  1. I created a Manager Test Account (adwords.my-t...@lioncita.com)
  1. From that account, I created a Client Test Account.
  2. I granted myself (leonid.iv...@gmail.com) administrative access to that Client Test Account.

adwords...@lioncita.com

Dec 27, 2017, 7:37:05 PM12/27/17
to AdWords API Forum
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, this is not the source of my problem.

In the "second step one", <leonid.iv...@gmail.com> authorizes my app to query Adwords API on its behalf.
As you can see on the screenshot here attached, <leonid.iv...@gmail.com> has administrative access to the client test account  779-751-4042, which is the account my apps tries to query in vain.

I also tried to use the manager test account that created the client test account 779-751-4042, with the same results.

What else could it be?

Thanks in advance,
007.png

Bharani Cherukuri (AdWords API Team)

Dec 28, 2017, 9:40:49 AM12/28/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

Thank you for providing more details. The NOT_ADS_USER error is encountered when the OAuth2 credentials used are not associated with an AdWords account. Can you please generate another refresh/access token, and ensure that you retrieve the authorization code from the browser link by logging in as a user who has access to the AdWords account? You must be logged in as a user who has access to the AdWords account against which you want to issue the request.

If you continue to have an issue with this, could you provide us the email address used to generate the access token, so I can take a look?

Regards,
Bharani, AdWords API Team
Message has been deleted

adwords...@lioncita.com

Dec 28, 2017, 4:57:40 PM12/28/17
to AdWords API Forum
The animated gif mentioned above, uploaded as a static image.

Here is a link to it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14g2sF0cccgb2Y2G27sNbhJZ-IP0F0pD4/view

On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 1:52:13 PM UTC-8, adwords...@lioncita.com wrote:
As requested, I generated another refresh/access token in the condition that you indicated, but got the same result.
I have attached a video of it in this post (cf video.gif)

My app is:
The test client account that my app tries to query is: 779-751-4042

The user who has administrative access to this account and authorizes my app to query Adwords API is: leonid.iv...@gmail.com

Thank you for taking the time to look at it.

Best,

adwords...@lioncita.com

Jan 2, 2018, 1:47:47 PM1/2/18
to AdWords API Forum
Anyone?

Bharani Cherukuri (AdWords API Team)

Jan 2, 2018, 2:20:31 PM1/2/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

Thank you for sharing the details. I deleted your previous post because it contained sensitive information such as Developer token. You may refer to our forum posting guidelines for reference so as to avoid exposing private information in your future posts. Also, we strongly recommend that you reset your developer token

This said, I was able to take a look at the video and it looks fine. To investigate the issue further, could you please enable logging and provide us the SOAP request and response logs which generated this error? Please use Reply privately to author option to share the details.

Regards,
Bharani, AdWords API Team