TOO_MANY_CHANGES error when access customersync service

Tirtha Ghosh Dastidar

Feb 11, 2019, 1:37:51 PM2/11/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi team,

I am trying to get delta changes from adwords API (using sample code from https://github.com/googleads/googleads-python-lib/blob/master/examples/adwords/v201809/account_management/get_account_changes.py)

I get error when accessing the changes.
Error message: googleads.errors.GoogleAdsServerFault: [CustomerSyncError.TOO_MANY_CHANGES @ selector]

1. How small of a time window can i provide to the customersync service?
2. Any advised best practices when using this service?

We have 100s of millions of keywords on adwords. The idea is to download only the delta and not the full keyword performance report. Hence we are exploring the customersync service.

googleadsapi...@google.com

Feb 11, 2019, 6:09:06 PM2/11/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Tirtha,

Please find my responses inline:
  1. How small of a time window can i provide to the customersync service?
  1. The dateTimeRange is expected in the following format : yyyyMMdd HHmmss. Which means, the shortest time interval that you can get the changes for is a second.
  1. Any advised best practices when using this service?
  1. If you are encountering TOO_MANY_CHANGES error, as you are trying to do, reducing the time interval should help in getting the changes. If that does not help, you should assume that the entire object has changed and retrieve the object using the specific service. If you are trying to gather the performance stats of a new keywords added during a time frame, you could also have a logic at your end to make a note of the keyword ids along with the ad group Id of these newly created keywords and use that as a predicate in your report definition. Please note that CustomerSyncService only supports queries for dates within the last 90 days.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Sreelakshmi, AdWords API Team

    http://googleadsdeveloper.blogspot.com/search/label/adwords_api
    https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/community/

Was your question answered? Please rate your experience with us by taking a short survey.
If not -- reply to this email and tell us what else we can do to help.

Take Survey

http://googleadsdeveloper.blogspot.com/search/label/adwords_api
https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/community/

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/030fec64-f166-4862-88b5-ad934283a039%40googlegroups.com.

Tirtha Ghosh Dastidar

Feb 12, 2019, 6:55:13 PM2/12/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Sree,

Few followup questions.

The documentation says that the changedCampaigns object contains all campaign ids from the selector even if the campaign did not change. But ad_group_ids which show up within the changedAdGroups have some changes in them. I was testing with an account which underwent changes. I cant seem to find any object with adGroupChangeStatus <> FIELDS_UNCHANGED.

Question:
1. If a campaign has no change but adgroups under it have changed. Would the parent campaign have a change status? As I understand, any adgroup_id which shows up should have some changes.

I am trying to understand how the syncservice object status change for given actions. If it helps, I can share the sample data I downloaded from the sync service in private.

Thanks
Tirtha

googleadsapi...@google.com

Feb 13, 2019, 2:25:37 PM2/13/19
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tirtha,

The service would always return campaign ids based on the selector irrespective of whether it was changed or not. But the campaignChangeStatus will reflect the correct status which will indicate if the campaign was modified or not. For example, if you add an adgroup in a campaign, the campaignChangeStatus will be FIELDS_UNCHANGED. But the changedAdGroups will contain an entry corresponding to the new adgroup that was added. The adGroupChangeStatus in this case will be NEW. The parent campaign id in this case will not have the status as changed. I also tried updating an attribute of the adgroup (for instance the name) and the service did return the specific adgroup in changedAdGroups with the adGroupChangeStatus as FIELDS_CHANGED.

Since you are not able to get the updates via the service, could you please share the details and SOAP logs of the update that you performed on the ad group along with the SOAP logs of the CustomerSyncService.get()? I can take a closer look. You could share the details using reply privately to the author option.

Tirtha Ghosh Dastidar

Feb 21, 2019, 2:20:33 PM2/21/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hey Sree,

Did you find my private message with the details?

Thanks
Tirtha

googleadsapi...@google.com

Feb 21, 2019, 5:01:07 PM2/21/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Tirtha,

Yes, I had replied to you privately on the same day. Let me share my response here:

Upon checking the change history, I see that the timestamp when the ad groups were created in the campaign (id = 1690014842) is Jan 29, 2019, 1:52:49 PM. As you noticed these are in GMT. Hence converting them to PST, you should be looking between min : 20190129 055100 and max: 20190129 055300. Could you try this and see if that is returning the new status for changedAdGroups?

Thanks,
Sreelakshmi, AdWords API Team

    http://googleadsdeveloper.blogspot.com/search/label/adwords_api
    https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/community/

Was your question answered? Please rate your experience with us by taking a short survey.
If not -- reply to this email and tell us what else we can do to help.

Take Survey

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum" group.

Tirtha Ghosh Dastidar

Feb 21, 2019, 6:11:06 PM2/21/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Sorry I missed the email. Thanks for the response. I will look into it.

Thanks
Tirtha