Mandukya bhashya. Ignorance seed in sushupti

V Subrahmanian

Jun 27, 2023, 3:16:20 AM6/27/23
to A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, Advaitin
In the Bhashyam for the mantra 7: naantaHprajnam, etc. Shankara says: the three states of waking, dream and sleep, that formed the subject matter of the first six mantras, is unreal, apAramArthikam, product of avidya, like the rope-snake, and is of the nature of seed-sprout (seed (cause) = deep sleep, and the sprout (effect) are the waking and dream. Shankara holds all the three, including the sleep state, to be endowed with Avidya (tattva agrahanam):

तस्यापरमार्थरूपमविद्याकृतं रज्जुसर्पादिसममुक्तं पादत्रयलक्षणं बीजाङ्कुरस्थानीयम् । अथेदानीमबीजात्मकं परमार्थस्वरूपं रज्जुस्थानीयं सर्पादिस्थानीयोक्तस्थानत्रयनिराकरणेनाह — नान्तःप्रज्ञमित्यादिना ।

Contrasting with the three states (which is actually the entire samsara anubhava, the jagat), the Turiya, Chaturtham, is paaramaarthika, akin to the rope, which is taught as negating the snake-like pAda traya.

In that very bhashya, while the mantra negates the sushupti state: na prajnAnaghanam, Shankara says: the state of sushupti is akin to seed, devoid of discrimination, aviveka svarupa (in the waking and dream the distinctions, vivikta, are perceived but not in deep sleep):

नप्रज्ञानघनमिति सुषुप्तावस्थाप्रतिषेधः, बीजभावाविवेकस्वरूपत्वात्

Thus, in the above statements, Shankara accepts avidya in deep sleep.

Bhaskar YR

Jun 27, 2023, 7:32:58 AM6/27/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta

praNAms

Hare Krishna

Myself and Sri Subbu prabhuji have discussed this based on Sri SSS perspective of kAraNAvidyA in sushupti and other vyAkhyAnakAra-s bhAva rUpa mUlAvidyA in sushupti.  So it is not for him 😊

Just for the information there is valley of difference in saying there is jnAnAbhAva ( i.e. absence of knowledge that he is one with parabrahman) in sushupti and there is positive entity like mUlAvidyA in sushupti which envelops the brahman itself.  In short abhAva of the knowledge that he is one with brahman is not come in the way of his ekatvaM  in sushupti whereas existence of bhAvarUpa avidyA which is the upAdAna kAraNa for the adhyAsa would throw us in a helpless situation that there is no way to realize our ekatvaM in any of the avastha and lOkAnubhava or pUrNAnubhava.  So unless and until we know the meaning of avidyA beeja shakti as per the context of  avasthAtraya prakriya there is no point in either saying that there is ekatvaM in sushupti or astitvaM of avidyA in bhAvarUpa in sushupti. If the prAjna in sushupti is embracing avidyA then shruti would not have said that prajnastu parameshwaraH and who is always / ever free from avidyA (nitya nivruttaavidyatvAt Ishwarasya, he is sarvajna, sarva shakta, paraM etc.  So we have to be very careful before hastening to announce that there exists avidyA in sushupti.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!

bhaskar

sreenivasa murthy

Jun 27, 2023, 9:47:25 AM6/27/23
to A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, Advaitin
Dear Sri Subramanian,

99% of the members / students of vedanta all over the world
have agreed that there is avidya in sushupti state.
When that is the case Whom are you trying to convince?
Is it not a waste of time?

You will be doing a great service if you can reveal the teachings of
Sri Gaudapada and Sri Shankara if you could highlight the teachings
which are avivAdaH and aviruddhaH.
Please think over.
With respectful pranams,
Sreenivasa Murthy.

dwa...@advaita.org.uk

Jun 27, 2023, 12:12:20 PM6/27/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta

Dear All,

Just for the record, I would like to register my membership of the 1% brigade!

Having spent the past 2 years reading everything I could find on the topics of ignorance and disappearance of the world on enlightenment, I have finally completed what constitutes Vol. 2 of my ‘Confusions in Advaita Vedanta’, sub-titled ‘Ignorance and its Removal’. (Sent to the publisher today.) As many will recall, the purpose of this series (4 volumes in total) is to address those issues that cause confusion amongst Advaitins and to clarify Ṥaṅkara’s stance on them, principally using quotations from shruti, GIta, Gaudapada, Ṥaṅkara and Sureshvara to counter the many quotations expressing contrary or conflicting explanations.

In this volume, one of the aspects that I specifically address is the notion of avidyA as a really existent entity and I am afraid that I have to conclude, using reason and common sense, as well as the quotations, that what is meant by ‘ignorance’ is simply ‘lack of knowledge’. Essentially, it is a language problem. So, yes, there is certainly ignorance in the deep-sleep state, simply because the mind is resolved and incapable of having knowledge about anything. But there is no mUlAvidyA, I’m afraid. And I hope that many WILL be convinced if they read all of the arguments. Unfortunately, it will almost certainly be next summer at the earliest before it appears. (Incidentally, I do not consider myself to be an SSS adherent, even though I agree with him on these topics. There are quite a few others where I disagree!)

And, before everyone jumps up and down and starts sending me outraged responses, I have no intention of embarking upon a discussion here. My consideration in the book is at least 70,000 words long and cannot be summarized in a few short paragraphs. Also, I will be on holiday for the next week so unable even to read them. Sorry! I mainly wanted to reassure those readers who were dismayed to think that they were in the 1% who clearly did not understand Advaita!

Best wishes,

Dennis

Akilesh Ayyar

Jun 27, 2023, 3:46:49 PM6/27/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
If there is such a thing as “sushupti,” a state which is contrasted to waking and dreaming, then we are already speaking from a perspective of duality. Such a dualistic  perspective is itself a manifestation of avidya. If there is no avidya (and in truth there is no avidya) then neither can there really be said to be any such state called “sushupti” (or for that matter any such thing as a “dualistic perspective”).

Akilesh Ayyar
Spiritual guidance - http://www.siftingtothetruth.com/

Bhaskar YR

Jun 28, 2023, 12:53:38 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta

praNAms

Hare Krishna

If there is such a thing as “sushupti,” a state which is contrasted to waking and dreaming, then we are already speaking from a perspective of duality.

  • Yes, it is from the dualistic vyavahAra only same rule is applicable when we are  talking about contrasting nature between tureeya and prAjna 😊

Such a dualistic  perspective is itself a manifestation of avidya.

  • Yes, all loukika and vaidika vyavahAra is within the realm of avidyA only clarifies bhAshyakAra.

If there is no avidya (and in truth there is no avidya) then neither can there really be said to be any such state called “sushupti” (or for that matter any such thing as a “dualistic perspective”).

Ø     Yes, hence it has been said avastha-s (avasthA traya) are adhyArOpita on Atman to prove that he is avasthAteeta (kArika itself clarifies this).  However, avasthAtraya vishleshaNa is a prakriya like srushti prakriya, kArya-kAraNa prakriya, sAmAnya-vishesha prakriya, paNcha kOsha prakriya etc. to ultimately prove that Atman / brahman is nirvishesha.  Till the realization of this truth all these gymnastics required with the aid of shruti, yukti and anubhava 😊

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!

bhaskar

K Kathirasan

Jun 28, 2023, 1:30:38 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
I must acknowledge that I am also of the same view, not that I agree with everything SSS teaches, but avidya as a device for teaching is better appreciated experientially as epistemological rather than ontological. I welcome myself into the 1%. :)

Warmest Regards,
Kathirasan K

Bhaskar YR

Jun 28, 2023, 1:54:22 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta

praNAms Sri Dennis prabhuji

Hare Krishna

Just for the record, I would like to register my membership of the 1% brigade!

Ø     Me too 😊

to clarify Ṥaṅkara’s stance on them, principally using quotations from shruti, GIta, Gaudapada, Ṥaṅkara and Sureshvara to counter the many quotations expressing contrary or conflicting explanations.

Ø     Happy to note that you are choosy here and picking ONLY shankara bhagavatpAda and one later follower of shankara ( vArtikakAra Sri Sureshwara) to share your observations.  Just curious what makes you to think like this when plenty of later vyakhyAnakAra-s from their respective schools of thought contributing heavily on this issue in their respective works like bhAmati, paNchapAdika vivaraNa etc. !!??

In this volume, one of the aspects that I specifically address is the notion of avidyA as a really existent entity and I am afraid that I have to conclude, using reason and common sense, as well as the quotations, that what is meant by ‘ignorance’ is simply ‘lack of knowledge’.

  • Those who are from 1% camp saying that ‘nobody would get realization by sleeping’ to say that sushupti is itself mOksha 😊 bhAshyakAra would not say that either.  But even though you are one with brahman ( there are variant explanations with regard to this ikyam based on 6th mantra of kArika) you are not aware of that ikyaM / ekatvaM, that lack of knowledge is called ‘jnAnaabhAva’ which is the avidyA in abhAva form that exists in sushupti.

Essentially, it is a language problem. So, yes, there is certainly ignorance in the deep-sleep state, simply because the mind is resolved and incapable of having knowledge about anything. But there is no mUlAvidyA, I’m afraid.

  • But mUlavidyAvAdins have some explanations to this to justify their stand on the existence of bhAvarUpa mulAvidyA.  One of the main argument is, if you say in sushupti there is no avidyA, without any effort of our own you will become brahman so without any shAstra janita jnana avidyA on its own completely annihilated and you will become brahman !!  this leads to shAstrAnarthakya dOsha so we have to accept mulAvidyA is there in avyakta rupa even though vyakta adhyAsa (kAryAvidyA) is absent  there.

And I hope that many WILL be convinced if they read all of the arguments. Unfortunately, it will almost certainly be next summer at the earliest before it appears.

  • Would like to read more on these clarifications from your desk.

(Incidentally, I do not consider myself to be an SSS adherent, even though I agree with him on these topics. There are quite a few others where I disagree!)

Ø     That is OK no problem prabhuji, just saw even Sri Kathirasan prabhuji also saying the same thing 😊  We, the socalled, asampradAyavAdin Sri SSS followers would happy to know even not so good friend of Sri SSS’s shuddha shankara prakriya in agreement with this very important aspect of Advaita vedAnta and saying mUlAvidyA as propagated by vyakhyAnakAra-s is not in line with shankara.

dwa...@advaita.org.uk

Jun 28, 2023, 3:41:56 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bhaskar-ji,

Just a quick response.

Up until writing this book, I considered myself a VivaraNa Advaitin. But I found a number of so-called ‘translations’ of Ṥaṅkara bhAShya-s which imposed prior (mis-)understanding of some topics and did not translate the words that were there. This habit seems to continue into later writers – a bit like ‘Chinese Whispers’! Hence we end up with ideas like AvaraNa and vikShepa. Also later writers seem to spend inordinate amounts of effort trying to explain and argue their mistaken views.

Ignorance in deep-sleep:

  1. Ignorance means lack of knowledge, a bit like darkness means lack of photons in the visible electromagnetic spectrum.
  2. Knowledge takes place in the mind.
  3. There is lack of knowledge in deep-sleep because the mind is resolved.
  4. It is only in this sense that there is ‘ignorance’ in deep-sleep. There is no actual entity called ‘ignorance’.
  5. On awakening or going into dream, the mind becomes active again and continues the related activities (external perception in waking; internal, memory-related in dream).
  6. If the mind was unenlightened before going to sleep, it is still unenlightened afterwards! No surprise there, then!
  7. You don’t ‘become Brahman’ in deep-sleep – you are already Brahman, all of the time! You just lack the knowledge.

Best wishes,

Dennis

उत्तिष्ठत जाग्रत Bharat

Jun 28, 2023, 3:58:24 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Could you kindly,support all of those assertion from bhagavan bhashyakara's statement about ajnana being jnana abhava and so on.

उत्तिष्ठत जाग्रत Bharat

Jun 28, 2023, 4:04:58 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Also once again,requesting,PLEASE ONLY QUOTE THE LINES OF BHAGAVAN BHASHYAKARA,NO ADDED FLAVOURS FROM ANY SCHOOL,JUST ACHARYA HIMSELF.Many of us are capable here to understand sanskrit.There is a website advaitasharada,all the bashyas have been uploaded,so please refer from there

AGAIN I REPEAT NO ADDED FLAVOURS OF ANY SCHOOL,IT IS REALLY BORING TO SEE THIS DISCUSSIONS REPEATING AGAIN.

Pardon me,for my misgivings above.

Bhaskar YR

Jun 28, 2023, 4:12:55 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms uttishtata jaagrata bharat prabhuji

Hare Krishna

If you are sick and tired of repeating arguments here, please refer archives plenty of quotes and observations available from both sides.  If you are a member of Advaita-L also, there also you will get aplenty previous discussions 😊

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!

bhaskar

Jun 28, 2023, 4:16:38 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Seeing, increasing urgency within certain quarters to prove or make a point about ajnana etc.i thought maybe they would also provide the quotations for those claims.

But since i have to go and search within the archives for those quotations,that says a lot.

Sorry for the answer but cheekiness isn't gonna work on me.😁

Sri kriahnarpanamastu🙏

dwa...@advaita.org.uk

Jun 28, 2023, 5:14:08 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sri Kriahnarpanamastu,

If you read my initial post, you will see:

  1. that I only commented to allay any concerns from those who worried that they were amongst the ‘1%’ and therefore might not understand Advaita; that they might actually not be wrong.
  2. that I have written of the order of 70,000 words on this subject in the new book, including very many quotations supporting what I say, contradicting what others have said, or pointing out erroneous translations that are very likely to mislead.
  3. it is impossible to summarize all of this in a few paragraphs and I have no intention of trying to do so.
  4. that I am on holiday imminently and will not be able to respond.

I apologize for any frustration that this may cause but…

Best wishes,

Dennis

उत्तिष्ठत जाग्रत Bharat

Jun 28, 2023, 5:30:59 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Citations have been provided,those are enough as an evidence for the claims of a specific group.

उत्तिष्ठत जाग्रत Bharat

Jun 28, 2023, 5:36:08 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
My problem,starts only when someone starts making a claim but then instead of evidence from the source what we get is either rhetoric or interpretations.(from my experience while reviewing papers)

उत्तिष्ठत जाग्रत Bharat

Jun 28, 2023, 5:36:48 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
And since the evidences from the claim were provided,hence no problem at all.

dwa...@advaita.org.uk

Jun 28, 2023, 6:36:09 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

I agree entirely!

My problem,starts only when someone starts making a claim but then instead of evidence from the source what we get is either rhetoric or interpretations.(from my experience while reviewing papers)

Bhaskar YR

Jun 28, 2023, 6:53:08 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Dennis prabhuji

Hare Krishna

Just a quick response.

Ø     Thanks for taking time to reply 😊

Up until writing this book, I considered myself a VivaraNa Advaitin. But I found a number of so-called ‘translations’ of Ṥaṅkara bhAShya-s which imposed prior (mis-)understanding of some topics and did not translate the words that were there. This habit seems to continue into later writers – a bit like ‘Chinese Whispers’! Hence we end up with ideas like AvaraNa and vikShepa. Also later writers seem to spend inordinate amounts of effort trying to explain and argue their mistaken views.

Ø     Interestingly with regard to AvaraNa and vikshepa shakti of avidyA which later vyAkhyAnakara-s introduced in their vyAkhyAna, Sri SSS observed that it is quite alien to the mUla bhAshya sans avaraNAtmakatvaat in geeta bhAshya (conceal nature of avidyA) and says these two powers that sway the brahman is quite an unwanted contribution from later vyAkhyAnakAra-s.

Ignorance in deep-sleep:

  1. Ignorance means lack of knowledge, a bit like darkness means lack of photons in the visible electromagnetic spectrum.

Ø     Incidentally in FB one Sri Sudhanshu shekar prabhuji presented his views about tamas/darkness and argues that it is positive entity not mere abhAva of light.  Perhaps Sri Michel prabhuji can share this argument.

  1. Knowledge takes place in the mind.

Ø     And that knowledge has to happen in jAgrat avastha through shAstra and Acharya upadesha and for that we need karaNa like mind.  Since in sushupti karaNa is upashanta (upAdhi upashanta sthiti) we have to accept that sushupti is having the avyakta avidyA sans adhyAsa…so says mUlAvidyAvAdins.

  1. There is lack of knowledge in deep-sleep because the mind is resolved.

Ø     Yes, since the mind is laya we have to infer avidyA to there in seed form..arguments goes like this in vyAkhyAnakAra schools.

  1. It is only in this sense that there is ‘ignorance’ in deep-sleep. There is no actual entity called ‘ignorance’.

  • Based on avaraNa and vikshepa powers of avidyA AvaraNa will be there in full force in sushupti though vikshepa absent and that is what conceal the real nature of our svarUpa hence it is a positive shakti (avidyA beeja shakti) counters mUlavidyAvAdin.  And it can be noted here according to them it is not mere abhAva (absence) of knowledge it is something positive which is the material cause for the vikshepa / adhyAsa in jagrat and svapna.

  1. On awakening or going into dream, the mind becomes active again and continues the related activities (external perception in waking; internal, memory-related in dream).
  2. If the mind was unenlightened before going to sleep, it is still unenlightened afterwards! No surprise there, then!
  •  Yes this is what said in su.bh.2-1-9, here bhAshyakAra takes both sushupti and samAdhi states and observes that in both states mithyAjnAna is yet to be removed.  Quote from Sri SSS ‘ just as in deep sleep and samAdhi there is attained the intrinsic state of absence of distinctions, and yet distinction reappears in waking as before on account of mithyAjnAna not being removed, so also it may well happen in this case (final dissolution / pralaya) also.’.  To avoid complete mergence of Atman in sushupti and to propagate avidyA in sushupti there is a statement that in sushupti ONLY partial oneness happens (mAtrayaa paramAtmabhAvaH) and it is not full 😊

  1. You don’t ‘become Brahman’ in deep-sleep – you are already Brahman, all of the time! You just lack the knowledge.

  • Yes, and this is what exactly bhAshyakAra says in su. Bh. tadabhAvAdhikaraNa in 3rd chapter.   There is no time when jeeva has not become one with brahman because it is simply his intrinsic nature which cannot be deviated.  Since in jAgrat and svapna he (jeeva) is seemingly associated with foreign aspect (upAdhi saMbandha) it is said that he attains his own form in sushupti since there is absent of that associated adjuncts.

And this is not to spoil your free holiday times, just sharing my thoughts, don’t bother to reply.

V Subrahmanian

Jun 28, 2023, 7:18:59 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 1:11 PM <dwa...@advaita.org.uk> wrote:

[...]

Dear Dennis ji,

The above points, numbered upto 4, is not the correct depiction of Gaudapada and Shankara in the Mandukya:  There is a situation called 'tattva agrahanam', non-perception of the ultimate Reality, Truth, the ontological Brahman, which is there in sushupti.  This non-perception, along with the perception of duality is there in waking and dream.  Thus, the non-perception of truth is the avidya that Gaudapada and the Bhashya refer to when they say avidya in deep sleep.  It is not mere 'non-perception/not knowing things/lack of sensory knowledge' due to the absence of mind in deep sleep.

regards
subbu

Bhaskar YR

Jun 28, 2023, 7:36:28 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji

Hare Krishna

Thus, the non-perception of truth is the avidya that Gaudapada and the Bhashya refer to when they say avidya in deep sleep.  It is not mere 'non-perception/not knowing things/lack of sensory knowledge' due to the absence of mind in deep sleep.

  • Just a curious question not for subsequent debates just for academic interest, first, you said the non perception / tattvAgrahaNa is the avidyA as per gaudapaada and bhAshya in deep sleep.  And continued with the same breath you stated “  it is not mere non-perception’.  I am not able to understand this’is’ and ‘is not’.  Little more elaboration required.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!

bhaskar

H S Chandramouli

Jun 28, 2023, 8:07:18 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, dwa...@advaita.org.uk, advaita...@lists.advaita-vedanta.org

Dear Dennis,

Really do not want to spoil your holiday mood. But felt compelled to just draw your attention to one point made by you.

//  Ignorance means lack of knowledge, a bit like darkness means lack of photons in the visible electromagnetic spectrum //.

This is not the position taken in the Shrutis as explained by Sri Bhagavatpada.

BU 3-7-13

//  यस्तमसि तिष्ठंस्तमसोऽन्तरो यं तमो वेद यस्य तमः शरीरं यस्तमोऽन्तरो यमयत्येष आत्मान्तर्याम्यमृतः १३ //

//  yastamasi tiShThaMstamaso.antaro yaM tamo na veda yasya tamaH sharIraM yastamo.antaro yamayatyeSha ta AtmAntaryAmyamRRitaH || 13 || //

Bhashya thereon

//  योऽप्सु तिष्ठन् , अग्नौ, अन्तरिक्षे, वायौ, दिवि, आदित्ये, दिक्षु, चन्द्रतारके, आकाशे, यस्तमस्यावरणात्मके बाह्ये तमसि, तेजसि तद्विपरीते प्रकाशसामान्ये इत्येवमधिदैवतम् अन्तर्यामिविषयं दर्शनं देवतासु  //

//  yo.apsu tiShThan , agnau, antarikShe, vAyau, divi, Aditye, dikShu, chandratArake, AkAshe, yastamasyAvaraNAtmake bAhye tamasi, tejasi tadviparIte prakAshasAmAnye — ityevamadhidaivatam antaryAmiviShayaM darshanaM devatAsu | //

Translation (Swami Madhavananda)  // He who inhabits water,fire,the sky, the air, heaven, the sun, the quarters, the moon and the stars, the ether, darkness – the external darkness which obstructs vision, and light, light in general which is the opposite of darkness //.

AntaryAmi Devata is mentioned in respect of Darkness as well. This is the Shruti PramANa for darkness as BhAvarUpa, an existent entity.

Please do not bother about responding  immediately or even early. I am posting now since I am most likely to forget about it later. You may like to respond on your return from the holidays.

Have a nice and enjoyable holiday.

With Best Wishes

Chandramouli

V Subrahmanian

Jun 28, 2023, 9:10:14 AM6/28/23
to Advaitin
Dear Bhaskar ji,

What I had meant was: non perception of sensory knowledge.

That is not the avidya that Shankara means.

Regards
subbu

sunil bhattacharjya

Jun 28, 2023, 9:25:20 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Real logic.

Sent from my iPhone

dwa...@advaita.org.uk

Jun 28, 2023, 9:33:05 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

Dear Subbu-ji,

The points I listed were intended to be simple reasoning, not summarizing the teaching of Ṥaṅkara. And, as you know, this does say that teaching cannot contradict experience or reason.

Can I ask what, other than mind, would be the means of non-perception in suShupti? And what is ‘non-perception of truth’ other than lack of realization in the mind following shravaNa-manana? It is the giving of new names to situations that is precisely the reason why new meanings and interpretations are invented by later writers.

Best wishes,

Dennis

Dear Dennis ji,

The above points, numbered upto 4, is not the correct depiction of Gaudapada and Shankara in the Mandukya:  There is a situation called 'tattva agrahanam', non-perception of the ultimate Reality, Truth, the ontological Brahman, which is there in sushupti.  This non-perception, along with the perception of duality is there in waking and dream.  Thus, the non-perception of truth is the avidya that Gaudapada and the Bhashya refer to when they say avidya in deep sleep.  It is not mere 'non-perception/not knowing things/lack of sensory knowledge' due to the absence of mind in deep sleep.

regards

subbu

  1.
  2. On awakening or going into dream, the mind becomes active again and continues the related activities (external perception in waking; internal, memory-related in dream).
  3. If the mind was unenlightened before going to sleep, it is still unenlightened afterwards! No surprise there, then!
  4. You don’t ‘become Brahman’ in deep-sleep – you are already Brahman, all of the time! You just lack the knowledge.

Best wishes,

Dennis

उत्तिष्ठत जाग्रत Bharat

Jun 28, 2023, 9:36:18 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Sorry,but is तत्व अग्रहण a term made by post sankara advaitin ?

dwa...@advaita.org.uk

Jun 28, 2023, 10:20:10 AM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

In the Bhagavad Gītā 13.2 Bhāṣya, Ṥaṅkara indicates three ‘features’ of avidyā: agrahaṇātmaka – non-perception (agrahaṇa) of the truth; viparītagrāhaka – wrong perception (viparīta) of the truth; saṃśayopasthāpaka – doubtful (saṃśaya) perception of the truth. And he concludes that avidyā is in the mind.

Best wishes,

Dennis

Jun 28, 2023, 12:14:20 PM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

Dear Bhat-ji,

I also do not wish to participate in a never-ending discussion (and I know that these discussions have been going on for centuries!). But, since you are contesting my claim that the AvaraNa-vikShepa differentiation is post Ṥaṅkara, could you point out where, in the quotation you mention, does the ‘vikShepa’ reference occur? I don’t think that anyone would argue that lack of knowledge ‘hides’ the truth! Certainly I never suggested otherwise.

I happily repeat my ‘laughable’ statement. I attempted to read the views of a number of post-Ṥaṅkara authors trying to explain what Ṥaṅkara ‘really’ meant on the subject of ignorance and had to give up on most as they became quite incomprehensible. I like the comment of D. B. Gangolli: “Because there is no purpose served by, or any benefit accruing, from this discussion at all, vis-à-vis the determination of the Absolute, Ultimate Reality of Vedānta, we have given up this subject matter which is purely an exercise – a brain racking one at that – in futility.” Some examples and comments on these ‘mistaken’ views are given in the book (although, of course I appreciate, you are unlikely to read it). [I use the word ‘mistaken’ in a general sense, encompassing also those views which invent new elements which were never propounded by Ṥaṅkara.]

Best wishes,

Dennis

The points I listed were intended to be simple reasoning, not summarizing the teaching of Ṥaṅkara. And, as you know, this does say that teaching cannot contradict experience or reason.

Can I ask what, other than mind, would be the means of non-perception in suShupti?

Dear Dennis ji,

My response was to your 'reasoning' thus:

  1. Knowledge takes place in the mind.
  2. There is lack of knowledge in deep-sleep because the mind is resolved.
  3. It is only in this sense that there is ‘ignorance’ in deep-sleep. There is no actual entity called ‘ignorance’.
The above scenario is there irrespective of the concept of Avidya of the jiva which keeps it in bondage. The mind is essential instrument in generating knowledge through the medium of sense organs. When that instrument is resolved during sleep, no knowledge activity is possible. This is the given; everyone accepts it.  But what is being debated is the presence   or not of the Avidya that keeps the jiva in bondage and the eradication of which through shravana, etc. that releases the jiva from bondage.  The statements in the Mandukya Bhashya that I have cited are affirming this continuation of Avidya of the form of non-perception of the Truth, Brahman, during sleep and the presence of the anyathA grahana form of Avidya added to the agrahana form in the waking and dream.  The instrumentality of the mind is not the point in this debate of Avidya continuing during sleep.

regards
subbu

[...]

Praveen R. Bhat

Jun 28, 2023, 12:45:33 PM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Dennisji,

On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 9:44 PM <dwa...@advaita.org.uk> wrote:

But, since you are contesting my claim that the AvaraNa-vikShepa differentiation is post Ṥaṅkara, could you point out where, in the quotation you mention, does the ‘vikShepa’ reference occur?

Pls revisit my words, I have contested your claim of "ideas like AvaraNa and vikShepa", not differentiation that you point out now. In any case, for me to point out vikShepa, you have to first at least accept that AvaraNa is mentioned.

I don’t think that anyone would argue that lack of knowledge ‘hides’ the truth! Certainly I never suggested otherwise.

Or I will have to assume that you have accepted so based on above. Next, I need not point the word vikShepa itself just because you want that exact word. I can assert that the very word viparItagrAhaka right to AvaraNAtmaka sandwiching avidyA stands to show vikShepa! (The exact word vikShepa has been used in Vivekachudamani anyway, "attributed" to Bhagavatpadacharya).

I happily repeat my ‘laughable’ statement.

I happily ignore it, to avoid further friction.

I attempted to read the views of a number of post-Ṥaṅkara authors trying to explain what Ṥaṅkara ‘really’ meant on the subject of ignorance and had to give up on most as they became quite incomprehensible.

If I try to read many authors in the medical field and set them aside being incomprehensible, it doesn't make it the authors' fault! Reading is not learning, be it bhAShya, later authors or any other technical work; incomprehensibility can be an expected result!

I like the comment of D. B. Gangolli: “Because there is no purpose served by, or any benefit accruing, from this discussion at all, vis-à-vis the determination of the Absolute, Ultimate Reality of Vedānta, we have given up this subject matter which is purely an exercise – a brain racking one at that – in futility.”

I do not disagree with this, if it is agreeable with the other interpretation of avidyA also! It can't be partial to one view as to one accruing benefit and other not!

Some examples and comments on these ‘mistaken’ views are given in the book (although, of course I appreciate, you are unlikely to read it).

(You are right).

[I use the word ‘mistaken’ in a general sense, encompassing also those views which invent new elements which were never propounded by Ṥaṅkara.]

That seems to be a mistaken use of the word mistaken! In any case, to apply your quote of Gangolli's comment to this very research as to what Bhagavan Bhashyakara propounded or did not "has nothing to do with the determination of the Absolute, Ultimate Reality of Vedanta". The content of what he said was there before and continues in later works. Even his words may not be needed for some, his words may be sufficient for some, or his words may not be enough for some others. Be as it may, best wishes for whatever works for you.

Praveen R. Bhat

Jun 28, 2023, 12:53:57 PM6/28/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Dennisji,

Apologies for missing to make a point, lest it be misunderstood, on your statement:
I don’t think that anyone would argue that lack of knowledge ‘hides’ the truth

I wholeheartedly disagree that _lack_ of knowledge can do anything as its result, including hide. Lack, that is absence/ shUnya can do nothing, else, Vedanti cannot refute nihilists/ shUnyavAdI Buddhists!! (Same with abhAvarUpa avidyA).

gurupAdukAbhyAm,

Venkatraghavan S

Jun 29, 2023, 2:32:13 AM6/29/23
to Advaitin
Dear Dennis ji,

"Can I ask what, other than mind, would be the means of non-perception in suShupti?"
Ultimately, it is the sAkshi that is the witness of both knowledge and ignorance - in all three states - and the sAkshi needs no other means to witness entities that are sAkshi bhAsya. So, to answer the question, the witness of ignorance in deep sleep is the sAkshi and it needs no other means to cognise ignorance.

"And what is ‘non-perception of truth’ other than lack of realization in the mind following shravaNa-manana?"
The position taken in avidyA as bhAvarUpa is that avidyA is something other than the absence of knowledge, it is a transactionally existent entity.

Take this passage from Br Up Bh 1.4.7 for example. यथा गृह्यमाणाया अपि शुक्तिकाया विपर्ययेण रजताभासाया अग्रहणं विपरीतज्ञानव्यवधानमात्रम् , तथा ग्रहणं ज्ञानमात्रमेव, विपरीतज्ञानव्यवधानापोहार्थत्वाज्ज्ञानस्य ; एवमिहाप्यात्मनोऽलाभः अविद्यामात्रव्यवधानम् ; तस्माद्विद्यया तदपोहनमात्रमेव लाभः, नान्यः कदाचिदप्युपपद्यते ।

Here the opponent is asking if the self is ever evident why is it not perceived today? To this Shankara says -

Just like the shell, which even when one continues to see it (गृह्यमाणाया अपि), is not seen (अग्रहणं) because of its mistaken perception as the silver appearance, which serves as an obstruction for the perception of the shell (विपरीतज्ञानव्यवधानमात्रम्), and its attainment is merely its perception, for the right cognition of the shell serves in the removal of the obstruction of mistaken knowledge - here too, the obstruction to the attainment of the self is ignorance alone, and the attainment is merely its removal through knowledge, and nothing else is plausible.

1) The above passage raises the question - if ignorance was simply the absence of knowledge, how does it serve as an obstruction to the self effulgent self? A thing which is self effulgent, by definition, needs no second thing for its perception. Thus, all else being equal, the knowledge of the self is not needed for the  perception of the self. That being the case, the absence of the knowledge of the self cannot act as an obstruction for the knowledge of the self-effulgent self either.

2) It is for this reason - to explain why an otherwise knowable entity is not known, that the idea of ignorance as a positive obstruction was postulated - and such a postulation exists in the work of the bhAShyakAra himself as seen in the above passage through the use of the word  व्यवधानम्.

How can the word व्यवधानम् in the bhAShya meaning obstruction, be used to denote the absence of knowledge? An obstruction has to have some presence. A non existent thing cannot obstruct anything in the literal sense.
It is not a figurative usage either, because the absence of knowledge can be figuratively referred to as an obstruction in the cognition of an object only where that object is not self evident (e.g. "I didn't know he had a car"), not when dealing with self evident things like the self, lamps etc ("how did I know the room had a lamp? It was obvious, it was shining").

3) Similarly, the word अपोहन in the text, meaning removal, is more appropriate when dealing with things being removed have some presence. The usage of the ablative in  तस्माद्विद्यया तदपोहनमात्रम् - the removal of ignorance by knowledge - further strengthens this. This indicates that knowledge is the means for the removal of ignorance. If ignorance is the absence of knowledge, knowledge wouldn't be an instrument for the removal of ignorance, knowledge itself would be the absence of ignorance.

Anyway I don't think we need to rekindle this debate which has been going on for centuries and will continue to do so for centuries, but to say that this idea of a positive ignorance is purely a figment of later commentators and is non-existent in the works of the bhAShyakAra, is a contention not supported by facts.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

Simha Hnln

Jun 29, 2023, 2:39:51 AM6/29/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta

_*"MOOLAVIDYA"  - REVIEW OF DISCUSSION -BY  Pandiraraja Sri VS RAMACHANDRA SHASTRIGAL*

_*"MOOLAVIDYA"  - REVIEW OF DISCUSSION -BY Sri VS RAMACHANDRA SHASTRIGAL*_

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n6RFmBfo0f0cTrOUG-CpX1odEhmDSAgl/view?usp=drive_link

[6/29, 1:32 AM] Simha HNLN:

Am sharing an authoritative authentic technical paper titled

_*"MOOLAVIDYA"  - REVIEW OF DISCUSSION -BY Sri VS RAMACHANDRA SHASTRIGAL*_

////

A VERY AUTHORITATIVE AND AUTHENTIC EXPOSITION.

🙏👍🪷👍🙏

[6/29, 1:35 AM] Simha HNLN:

Please don't share these files in public.

This is for your use in annihilating the discussion on MOOLAVIDYA by SSS AND HIS BLIND FOLLOWERS FROM KARYALAYA 😂😂😂

[6/29, 10:02 AM] Subramanian VS Advaita group:

Thanks for the valuable article. I shall read this.

 Simha HNLN:

Got it from AMMA'S archives physically.

This will arm you with full capability to put down the opposition view

THEY ARGUE THAT

_*"THERE IS NO MULAVIDYA during SUSHUPTI"*_

[6/29, 11:00 AM] Subramanian VS Advaita group: 🙂🙏y

_

On Tue, Jun 27, 2023, 12:46 PM V Subrahmanian <v.subra...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

उत्तिष्ठत जाग्रत Bharat

Jun 29, 2023, 2:39:58 AM6/29/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Apurba,venkatji for explaining this.dennis ji and other members of the sss group are always insinuating with condescending rhetoric against parampara and my gurudev(subbuji).

Non perception of truth was said in the context of the word तत्व अग्रहण but somehow he tries to dismiss it by saying that it is"self realization through sravana manana ityadi."

I just don't get it as to how that actually interprets into this.

Yours sincerely
Saptarshi.

V Subrahmanian

Jun 29, 2023, 2:44:34 AM6/29/23
to Advaitin
Shankaracharya has on several occasions questioned: How can abhava, absence, produce a positive effect, bhaava?

This is another strong logic from Shankara that debunks the mistaken idea of jnanabhava, a term Shankara himself has used. The positive effect of bondage, the result of avidya, in its various forms is there for everyone to experience, even described graphically by Shankara in many places and the remedy prescribed by the Shruti itself, all go to emphasize the bhava rupatva of avidya.

regards
subbu

sreenivasa murthy

Jun 29, 2023, 3:57:41 AM6/29/23
to Advaitin, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
Dear friends,
The states of waking, dream and deepsleep are of vyaBicairatasvarUpa
where as aham which is devoid of limiting adjuncts  and which is atman alone
is of avyaBicaritvasvarUpa. When the states appear and disappear their contents also appear and disappear. Sruti declares : vAcAramBaNaM vikArO nAmadhEyam ||

Where is vidya, where is avidya, where is mulavidya?
They are figments of iimagination and products of unbriddled intellectual speculation.
This is the basic and final truth.

You can draw your own conclusions.
Sreenivasa Murthy.

Bhaskar YR

Jun 29, 2023, 11:01:47 PM6/29/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji

Hare Krishna

Thanks for the clarification.

K Kathirasan

Jun 30, 2023, 12:09:55 AM6/30/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Dennis ji,

Not just in one instance, but he gives the same/similar definitions for Avidya in Brhadaranyaka Up Bhashya 3.3.1 and Brahma Sutra Bhashya 4.1.2 as well. Perhaps the most compelling consistency in definitions across three different bhashya-s.

Warmest Regards,
Kathirasan K

Bhaskar YR

Jun 30, 2023, 12:33:27 AM6/30/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms

Hare Krishna

Not just in one instance, but he gives the same/similar definitions for Avidya in Brhadaranyaka Up Bhashya 3.3.1 and Brahma Sutra Bhashya 4.1.2 as well. Perhaps the most compelling consistency in definitions across three different bhashya-s.

Ø     Now the question is, whether mUlAvidyA, as propounded by paNchapAdika vivaraNakAra / bhAmti prasthAna falls under one of these definitions or it is completely something else!!??  Just as a matter of fact, as per mUlAvidyAvAdins,  the avidyA which is the material cause for the adhyAsa is brahmAshrita ( has the locus in brahman) and it is neither agrahaNa, nor anyathAgrahaNa nor saMshaya, something else, some force which has the capacity to  envelope brahman itself.  The term mUlAvidyA or kAraNAvidyA itself is not the contention but the definition which has been introduced by later vyAkhyAnakAra-s is!!…which is quite extra-terrestrial to shankara bhAshya 😊 so says those who see the mistake in these definitions.

Bhaskar YR

Jun 30, 2023, 7:03:17 AM6/30/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Venkatraghavan prabhuji

Hare Krishna

  • As usual you are on the point with regard to issue on the hand.  Your articulation of thoughts closely resembles our beloved Sri Chitta prabhuji’s eloquent mails.  Kindly allow me to share my thoughts.

  • Basically you have four observations. i.e.
  • (a) witness (sAkshi) can cognize both jnana and ajnAna without any other means.
  • (b) Based on Br.up. bh. You are saying :  abhAva rUpa avidyA cannot be the cause for the obstruction, self effulgent self can illumine on its own without any obstruction.m
  • (c ) vyavadhAnaM depicting the existence of positive avidyA in sushupti as per bhAshyakAra.
  • (d) apOhana, the removal of avidyA more appropriate ONLY and only when avidyA is bhAvarUpa and not abhAva of correct knowledge.

Hope this is what you are observing in justification of Astitva of bhAvarUpa avidyA which is neither agrahaNa, nor anyathAgrahaNa nor saMshaya but something different in bhAvarUpa.

Kindly let me know whether I have summarized your points correctly.

H S Chandramouli

Jun 30, 2023, 7:36:02 AM6/30/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, advaita...@lists.advaita-vedanta.org

Namaste.

For a change, I thought I would give reference to a verse from the vArtika of Swami Sureswaracharya concerning  avidyA  vis-à-vis  PanchabhUtAs and  Creation in general, along with the observation by Sri SSS himself thereon.

BUBV 2-4-418

//  कार्यात्माऽपचयं  गच्छन्यत्र  निष्ठां  निगच्छति ।

  तानि भूतानविद्येति  प्राहुस्त्रय्यन्तनिष्ठिताः  ॥  //

//  kAryAtmA.apachayaM  gachChanyatra  niShThAM  nigachChati |

 tAni bhUtAnavidyeti  prAhustrayyantaniShThitAH  || //

Meaning  (Not literal translation )  //  All effects ultimately resolve themselves into their  root cause. Those well versed in vedAnta  have termed  the root cause,  into which the Elements (PanchabhUtAs) ultimately  resolve themselves into, as avidyA  //.

In this context, Sri SSS makes the following observation at Foot Note 1, Page 652 of his translation cum commentary on BU (Vol 1).

Translation from kannada to english mine  //  In BU 1-5-1, the name *satya* has been given to nAmarUpAs. In mUrtAmUrta BrahmaNa also, kAryakaraNAtmaka panchabhUtAs have been addressed by the name of *satya*. It has been stated in BUBV  2-4-418  that vedAntins call  these as avidyA ; They should be understood  to mean avidyAkalpita //.

Thus even Sri SSS admits that Swami Sureswaracharya  has referred to panchabhUtAs as avidyA , although he (Sri SSS)  reiterates his opinion  that here also it should be understood as avidyAkalpita and not as avidyA. But no specific reasons have been given at least in this place.

Regards

Venkatraghavan S

Jun 30, 2023, 9:52:17 AM6/30/23
to Advaitin
Namaste Bhaskar ji
Thank you for your kind words.

I agree with your summary of the email I had sent earlier, although in (c), the vyavadhAnam in the context of the passage quoted was not limited to suShupti alone.

Such a bhAvarUpa avidyA can be said to be the cause of the agrahaNa, anyathAgrahaNa and samshaya - because of which those effects are themselves referred to sometimes as avidyA (e.g. tametam evam lakshaNam adhyAsam paNDitAh avidyeti manyante). So, I wouldn't say that such a bhAvarUpa avidyA is not agrahaNa, anyathAgrahaNa and samshaya. Nor would I say it is.

Kind regards,
Venkatraghavan

S Venkatraman

Jun 30, 2023, 10:23:16 AM6/30/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Venkatraghavanji,

I find your statement, “ So, I wouldn't say that such a bhAvarUpa avidyA is not agrahaNa, anyathAgrahaNa and samshaya. Nor would I say it is.” a bit baffling. What exactly do you mean by it?
Many thanks and regards,

Venkatraman

Sent from my iPhone

Venkatraghavan S

Jun 30, 2023, 10:27:45 AM6/30/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Venkatraman ji,

How would one describe the cause in terms of the effect - is it the same as the effect? is it different? In advaita we refer to it as tAdAtmya, but it is neither bheda nor abheda.

Regards,
Venkat

Venkatraghavan S

Jun 30, 2023, 12:11:01 PM6/30/23
to Advaitin, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
Namaste Subbuji,
Some other thoughts from the mANDUkya bhAShya - I'm sure you know all this already, but thought that articulating this would be helpful, most of all, to me.

The 13th and 16th kArikA-s and their bhAShya-s are particularly helpful.

द्वैतस्याग्रहणं तुल्यमुभयोः प्राज्ञतुर्ययोः ।
बीजनिद्रायुतः प्राज्ञः सा च तुर्ये न विद्यते ॥ १३ ॥

निमित्तान्तरप्राप्ताशङ्कानिवृत्त्यर्थोऽयं श्लोकः — कथं द्वैताग्रहणस्य तुल्यत्वे कारणबद्धत्वं प्राज्ञस्यैव, न तुरीयस्येति प्राप्ता आशङ्का निवर्त्यते ; यस्मात् बीजनिद्रायुतः, तत्त्वाप्रतिबोधो निद्रा ; सैव च विशेषप्रतिबोधप्रसवस्य बीजम् ; सा बीजनिद्रा ; तया युतः प्राज्ञः । सदासर्वदृक्स्वभावत्वात्तत्त्वाप्रतिबोधलक्षणा बीजनिद्रा तुर्ये न विद्यते ; अतो न कारणबन्धस्तस्मिन्नित्यभिप्रायः ॥

If we look at the first sentence in the bhAShya - Shankaracharya says both the turIya and prAjna are equivalent in that the dvaita agrahaNa is similarly applicable to both prAjna and turIya. Then, why is causal bondage only for the prAjna and not the turIya? The answer is given in the kArikA itself, it is because prAjna is bIjanidrA yutah. He then explains the term nidrA in the kArika to mean tattva-apratibodhah, the same term used to describe avidyA.

If such a tattva apratibodha was abhAvA rUpa, then as both prAjna and turIya equally have abhAvarUpa tattva apratibodha (dvaita agrahaNasya tulyatvAt), there would be no basis to differentiate between the two.

A bhAva rUpa tattva pratibodha in the turIya is not accepted, so that cannot be the basis to differentiate prAjna from tutIya. Therefore, we are left with no choice but to conclude that a bhAvarUpa tattva apratibodha is present in prAjna, which is why it is different from turIya.

It is for this reason that the tattva apratibodha is called bIja (causal seed), and the prAjna as endowed with such a bIja - bIjanidrA yutah says gauDapAdAchArya.

The twin powers of avidyA are explained in a later kArikA and bhAShya:

अनादिमायया सुप्तो यदा जीवः प्रबुध्यते ।
अजमनिद्रमस्वप्नमद्वैतं बुध्यते तदा ॥ १६ ॥

योऽयं संसारी जीवः, सः उभयलक्षणेन तत्त्वाप्रतिबोधरूपेण बीजात्मना, अन्यथाग्रहणलक्षणेन चानादिकालप्रवृत्तेन मायालक्षणेन स्वापेन, ममायं पिता पुत्रोऽयं नप्ता क्षेत्रं गृहं पशवः, अहमेषां स्वामी सुखी दुःखी क्षयितोऽहमनेन वर्धितश्चानेन इत्येवंप्रकारान्स्वप्नान् स्थानद्वयेऽपि पश्यन्सुप्तः, यदा वेदान्तार्थतत्त्वाभिज्ञेन परमकारुणिकेन गुरुणा ‘नास्येवं त्वं हेतुफलात्मकः, किन्तु तत्त्वमसि’ इति प्रतिबोध्यमानः, तदैवं प्रतिबुध्यते । कथम् ? नास्मिन्बाह्यमाभ्यन्तरं वा जन्मादिभावविकारोऽस्ति, अतः अजम् ‘सबाह्याभ्यन्तरो ह्यजः’ (मु. उ. २ । १ । २) इति श्रुतेः, सर्वभावविकारवर्जितमित्यर्थः । यस्माज्जन्मादिकारणभूतम् , नास्मिन्नविद्यातमोबीजं निद्रा विद्यत इति अनिद्रम् ; अनिद्रं हि तत्तुरीयम् ; अत एव अस्वप्नम् , तन्निमित्तत्वादन्यथाग्रहणस्य । यस्माच्च अनिद्रमस्वप्नम् , तस्मादजम् अद्वैतं तुरीयमात्मानं बुध्यते तदा ॥

Here he describes mAyA as ubhayalakshaNatmikA - a) tattva apratibodharUpeNa bijAtmanA and b) anyathAgrahaNa lakshaNena - and says that both are anAdi.  These are the very same AvaraNa and vikshepa shakti-s of avidyA spoken of by later commentators.

He later explains the description of turIya as anidram with the sentence -
नास्मिन्नविद्यातमोबीजं निद्रा विद्यत इति अनिद्रम् ;  turIya is called anidram because nidrA, the causal seed of darkness that is ignorance is not present in it.

If avidyA was jnAna abhAva, then the jnAna whose absence is being referred to here must be the jnAna that is born from shravaNa manana nididhyAsana (as Sri Dennis admits in the other email), ie vRttijnAna and not svarUpajnAna.

The implication of such a supposition is this - If Shankaracharya had admitted to avidyA being vRttijnAna abhAvarUpa, then turIya as anidram would have to mean "being endowed with vRttijnAna" because the absence of the absence of vRttijnAna is the presence of vRttijnAna. This obviously cannot be correct, because the neither vRtti nor its absence are present in turIya.

Therefore, bIjanidrA must mean bhAvarUpa tattva apratibodha, the prAjna is endowed with such a bIjanidrA, the turIya is not endowed with such a bIjanidrA and hence is referred to as anidram.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023, 08:16 V Subrahmanian, <v.subra...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

S Venkatraman

Jun 30, 2023, 12:34:28 PM6/30/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your explanation Venkatraghavanji.

In the case of clay becoming a pot I would say both cause and effect are the same and yet different in form. But in the case of milk and curd both are different and latter cannot ever become the former. So when you say, “I wouldn't say that such a bhAvarUpa avidyA is not agrahaNa, anyathAgrahaNa and samshaya. Nor would I say it is.“ you aver that bhavarupa avidya resulting in agrahana etc is only the cause-effect relationship of the clay-pot type?

Regards,
Venkat

Sent from my iPhone

H S Chandramouli

Jul 1, 2023, 12:03:46 AM7/1/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, Venkatraghavan S

Namaste Venkat Ji,

Reg // How would one describe the cause in terms of the effect - is it the same as the effect? is it different? In advaita we refer to it as tAdAtmya, but it is neither bheda nor abheda //,

Can you please give any reference to this. In my understanding, Cause is not described in terms of the effect at all. It is not necessary either. Effect is the manifest form of the cause which is always unmanifest. I don’t think tAdAtmya relationship between cause and effect is correct  when both of them enjoy the same level of Reality. samasattA (समसत्ता). In Advaita SidhAnta, only AdhyAsika tAdAtmya (आध्य्सिक तादात्म्य)  is admitted as for example as stated in BSB 2-2-38 copied below.

// ब्रह्मवादिनः कथमिति चेत् , ; तस्य तादात्म्यलक्षणसम्बन्धोपपत्तेः //

//  brahmavAdinaH kathamiti chet , na; tasya tAdAtmyalakShaNasambandhopapatteH //

This pertains to the relationship between jagat and Brahman wherein Brahman is addressed as the vivarta kAraNa for jagat. Brahman and jagat enjoy different levels  of Reality (विषमसत्ता).

Regards

H S Chandramouli

Jul 1, 2023, 12:14:59 AM7/1/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, Venkatraghavan S

Namaste.

For  // AdhyAsika tAdAtmya (आध्य्सिक तादात्म्य)  is admitted as for example as stated in BSB 2-2-38 copied below //,

Please read

//  AdhyAsika tAdAtmya (आध्य्सिक तादात्म्य)  is admitted  between cause and effect  as for example as stated in BSB 2-2-38 copied below //.

Regards

Praveen R. Bhat

Jul 1, 2023, 12:56:19 AM7/1/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Venkatji,

On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 7:57 PM Venkatraghavan S <agni...@gmail.com> wrote:
Namaste Venkatraman ji,

How would one describe the cause in terms of the effect - is it the same as the effect? is it different? In advaita we refer to it as tAdAtmya, but it is neither bheda nor abheda.
To add, perhaps you meant the beautiful lakShaNa: bhedasahiShNuH abhedaH.

Kind rgds,

Venkatraghavan S

Jul 1, 2023, 1:12:52 AM7/1/23
to H S Chandramouli, Advaitin, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
Namaste Chandramouli ji

On Sat, 1 Jul 2023, 05:03 H S Chandramouli, <hschand...@gmail.com> wrote:

Namaste Venkat Ji,

Reg // How would one describe the cause in terms of the effect - is it the same as the effect? is it different? In advaita we refer to it as tAdAtmya, but it is neither bheda nor abheda //

The context of the above statement was Bhaskar ji's question if my understanding meant that "bhAvarUpa avidyA .. is neither agrahaNa, nor anyathAgrahaNa nor saMshaya but something different in bhAvarUpa", to which I said that I didn't hold they avidyA is different to agrahaNa etc, because in one sense it can be said to be the same and in another sense it can be said to be different. For which Sri Venkataraman asked how, and I made the above remark.

Can you please give any reference to this. In my understanding, Cause is not described in terms of the effect at all. It is not necessary either.

True, but the context is the above.

Effect is the manifest form of the cause which is always unmanifest. I don’t think tAdAtmya relationship between cause and effect is correct  when both of them enjoy the same level of Reality. samasattA (समसत्ता). In Advaita SidhAnta, only AdhyAsika tAdAtmya (आध्य्सिक तादात्म्य)  is admitted as for example as stated in BSB 2-2-38 copied below.

// ब्रह्मवादिनः कथमिति चेत् , ; तस्य तादात्म्यलक्षणसम्बन्धोपपत्तेः //

//  brahmavAdinaH kathamiti chet , na; tasya tAdAtmyalakShaNasambandhopapatteH //

Here Shankara is saying that there is the tAdAtmya sambandha between mAyA and Brahman and so also between jIva and Ishvara. This is AdhyAsika tAdAtmya only. The sambandha between cause and effect that is admitted in advaita is such a tAdAtmya (bheda sahiShNu abheda) only. There is a lengthy discussion in laghuchandrikA about this. Will look it up when I have time, but it is not really germane to the point being discussed.

This pertains to the relationship between jagat and Brahman wherein Brahman is addressed as the vivarta kAraNa for jagat. Brahman and jagat enjoy different levels  of Reality (विषमसत्ता).

Regards

As I said AdhyAsika tAdAtmya is not being denied. The naiyyAyika tAdAtmya is denied.

Anyway bringing it back to current discussion - there is no need to take the position that bhAvarUpa avidyA is different to agrahaNa, anyathAgrahaNa and samshaya, for reasons stated above. As the bhAmatikAra says - न खल्वनन्यत्वमित्यभेदं ब्रूमः, किन्तु भेदं व्यासेधाम.

Regards
Venkatraghavan

Venkatraghavan S

Jul 1, 2023, 1:14:02 AM7/1/23
to Advaitin
Namaste Praveenji
Wow, I literally hit send on a mail a few seconds ago saying precisely this!

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

V Subrahmanian

Jul 1, 2023, 2:29:40 AM7/1/23
On Sat, Jul 1, 2023 at 9:33 AM H S Chandramouli <hschand...@gmail.com> wrote:

Namaste Venkat Ji,

Reg // How would one describe the cause in terms of the effect - is it the same as the effect? is it different? In advaita we refer to it as tAdAtmya, but it is neither bheda nor abheda //,

Can you please give any reference to this. In my understanding, Cause is not described in terms of the effect at all.

We have this Bhashya 1.4.2 vaakya -   प्रकृतिशब्दश्च विकारे दृष्टः — यथा ‘गोभिः श्रीणीत मत्सरम्’ (ऋ. सं. ९ । ४६ । ४) इति ।   श्रुतिश्च — ‘तद्धेदं तर्ह्यव्याकृतमासीत्’ (बृ. उ. १ । ४ । ७) इतीदमेव व्याकृतनामरूपविभिन्नं जगत्प्रागवस्थायां परित्यक्तव्याकृतनामरूपं बीजशक्त्यवस्थमव्यक्तशब्दयोग्यं दर्शयति ॥ २ ॥

  The meaning is: prakriti = Cause, is seen to be used in place of vikaara = effect.  The Acharya gives a passage from the Rg Veda samhita where the word 'gobhih' is used in place of milk which is a product of the cow.

And the Br.Up. itself uses this method: the world, an effect of the tattva called Avyaakrita, is denoted by the name of the cause, Avyaakrita.

The context is: which word in the Katha mantra under discussion matches the gross body.  It is settled by the Bhashyakara that the word 'avyaktam' is the one that denotes the gross body? He reasons: Avyakta, being the cause of the pancha bhutas, is that way the cause of the gross body.  Here the effect, gross body, is denoted by the cause, avyakta.

regards
subbu

H S Chandramouli

Jul 1, 2023, 3:48:05 AM7/1/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, Venkatraghavan S, V Subrahmanian
Namaste Subrahmanian Ji,

Absolutely yes. No disputes on that.

Regards

H S Chandramouli

Jul 1, 2023, 4:46:55 AM7/1/23
to Venkatraghavan S, Advaitin, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta

Namaste Venkat Ji,

Reg  //  there is no need to take the position that bhAvarUpa avidyA is different to agrahaNa, anyathAgrahaNa and samshaya, for reasons stated above. As the bhAmatikAra says - खल्वनन्यत्वमित्यभेदं ब्रूमः, किन्तु भेदं व्यासेधाम.//,

I will close from my side with just a few clarifications concerning my understanding.

The quote from bhAmatikAra is an alternative definition (to the one offered by Sri Bhagavatpada) for  the word ananyatvam understood as AdhyAsika tAdAtmya (आध्य्सिक तादात्म्य). It is not applicable for ananyatvam understood as cause and effect which is the topic under discussion.

Yes. AgrahaNa, anyathAgrahaNa and samshaya are manifest forms of unmanifest bhAvarUpa avidyA. They conform to ananyatvam understood as cause and effect relationship, as they enjoy  samasattA (same level of Reality) status. Thus AgrahaNa, anyathAgrahaNa and samshaya are same as bhAvarUpa avidyA.

Regards

Venkatraghavan S

Jul 1, 2023, 4:53:47 AM7/1/23

On Sat, 1 Jul 2023, 09:46 H S Chandramouli, <hschand...@gmail.com> wrote:

Namaste Venkat Ji,

Reg  //  there is no need to take the position that bhAvarUpa avidyA is different to agrahaNa, anyathAgrahaNa and samshaya, for reasons stated above. As the bhAmatikAra says - खल्वनन्यत्वमित्यभेदं ब्रूमः, किन्तु भेदं व्यासेधाम.//,

I will close from my side with just a few clarifications concerning my understanding.

The quote from bhAmatikAra is an alternative definition (to the one offered by Sri Bhagavatpada) for  the word ananyatvam understood as AdhyAsika tAdAtmya (आध्य्सिक तादात्म्य). It is not applicable for ananyatvam understood as cause and effect which is the topic under discussion.

It is certainly applicable, so I disagree with your comment. But never mind, I don't think that is central to the discussion at hand so we don't have to continue further.

Kind regards
Venkatraghavan

V Subrahmanian

Jul 2, 2023, 4:07:06 AM7/2/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
Many thanks Venkat ji for the Mandukya selections.  The Bhashya words मायालक्षणेन स्वापेन  for the 1.16 kaarika is very significant.  The entire jiva/samsari bhaava is stated to be a delusion, 'sleep'.  This reminds us of the great shloka of the 2nd chapter of the Bh.Gita:

या निशा सर्वभूतानां तस्यां जागर्ति संयमी ।
यस्यां जाग्रति भूतानि सा निशा पश्यतो मुनेः ॥ ६९ ॥

Bhashya:

या निशा रात्रिः सर्वपदार्थानामविवेककरी तमःस्वभावत्वात् सर्वभूतानां सर्वेषां भूतानाम् । किं तत् परमार्थतत्त्वं स्थितप्रज्ञस्य विषयः । यथा नक्तञ्चराणाम् अहरेव सदन्येषां निशा भवति, तद्वत् नक्तञ्चरस्थानीयानामज्ञानां सर्वभूतानां निशेव निशा परमार्थतत्त्वम् , अगोचरत्वादतद्बुद्धीनाम् । तस्यां परमार्थतत्त्वलक्षणायामज्ञाननिद्रायाः प्रबुद्धो जागर्ति संयमी संयमवान् , जितेन्द्रियो योगीत्यर्थः । यस्यां ग्राह्यग्राहकभेदलक्षणायामविद्यानिशायां प्रसुप्तान्येव भूतानि जाग्रति इति उच्यन्ते, यस्यां निशायां प्रसुप्ता इव स्वप्नदृशः, सा निशा अविद्यारूपत्वात् परमार्थतत्त्वं पश्यतो मुनेः ॥

The correspondence is so very glaring.  The Maya supti of the karika is seen in the Gita bhashya as ajnana, avidya, tamas, etc.

regards
subbu

K Kathirasan

Jul 3, 2023, 8:28:37 AM7/3/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

Here are my thoughts about the discussion about Avidya.

I have yet know of anyone who became a jivanmukta by inquiring into Avidya. Nor have I encountered shruti texts that had ‘exhaustively’ and ‘consistently' taught what avidya is, though the Shruti had contrasted Avidya and Vidya in service of directing one’s pursuit of Vidya (i.e. Brahmavidya). We know that the inquiry should be into Brahman from the opening sutra of the Brahma Sutra. Why? Because where there is light, darkness cannot exist. Similarly when Brahman is known, Avidya (or the inquiry into its reality) becomes immaterial. Therefore, for the jijnasu/mumukshu the inquiry into Avidya has no value in knowing Brahman.

Then for whom is this discussion valuable to? It is valuable for the people who want to defend and protect the Advaita Vedanta siddhanta which has been carried out by the Bhamati and Vivarana sub-traditions. This subject of avidya is more valuable for dialecticians than sadhaka-s. In no way am I downplaying the importance of defending and protecting the Advaita Vedanta Siddhanta as it also important as we need new ways to present the siddhanta as time, place and situations change.

Let us also acknowledge that no real conclusion can be arrived at about Avidya because it is not tangible like an amala fruit in the hand. We will forever debate about this because diverse perspectives is possible with all things that are mithya.

I remember bringing this dilemma to Swami Dayananda Saraswati about 22 years ago. He told me that there are two schools of thought on this issue and that it is important that I inquire into Brahman instead of Avidya. That was one of the best pieces of advice that I have ever gotten as a Sadhaka. I am certainly not a dialectician. Even if I were to be one, perhaps I can entertain that all perspectives have their own merit and each one of us gravitate towards a perspective based on our personality, values and knowledge. It is not always knowledge alone that decides the perspective we choose. As Haradatta says in his commentary on the Apastambha Dharmasutra (1.7.29), we learn through four quarters namely time, teacher, discussion and lastly one’s own wisdom.

Warmest Regards,
Kathirasan K

S Venkatraman

Jul 3, 2023, 9:06:48 AM7/3/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Wonderfully written. Regards,

Venkatraman

Sent from my iPhone

Bhaskar YR

Jul 3, 2023, 11:52:12 PM7/3/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Kathirasan prabhuji

Hare Krishna

Very well said prabhuji.  I completely agree with you.  For the sAdhaka / mumukshu what is required is shravaNa, manana and nidhidhyAsana to realize his svarUpa. But unfortunately when it comes to ‘manana’ part, we sideline the svarUpa jignAsa and focus our attention on avidyA jignAsa 😊 One of the reasons, I reckon, for this unprovoked enquiry about avidyA is, bhagavatpAda’s preamble to his nyAya prasthAna bhAshya i.e. adhyAsa bhAshya.  Why on the earth this bhAshya required as an introduction when our primary is to know/realize brahman who is ever avidyA vinirmukta!!??  Why shankara instead of teaching brahma vidyA first talked about avidyA /adhyAsa??  Is it so important to know the nature of avidyA in the task of brahma jignAsa??  If we see the adhyAsa bhAshya, the answer is perhaps yes!!  Though he hardly quotes any shruti / smruti pramANa to justify his stance on avidyA, he explains this to draw the line between reality / paramArtha as indicated in shAstra and the common experience / lOkAnubhava/ pramAtru-pramANa-prameya vyavahAra.  And assures that he is going to prove that in the forthcoming sUtra bhAshya how based on this ‘primary error’ all the shAstra vyavahAra and lOka vyavahAra taking place and how it needs to be realized in the light of adhyArOpa-apavAda methodology.  So IMO he elaborated this aspect to crystalize the concept of Upanishad pratipAdita brahman who is nirvishesha and how everything else just superimposed on him / it for the pedagogical purpose.  But what would you say when this adhyArOpita avidyA itself given the same status as brahman and starting your theory by saying :  there is a mUlAvidyA which has the brahmAshraya which is even before creation and prompted / tempted brahman to do creation, which is there is all the three avasthA-s, which is anirvachaneeya etc.  Which is nothing but instead of treating the avidyA an epistemological concept it has been unduly mixed up mAya/brahman etc. and depicting it as an ontological entity.  I think this unnecessary importance and significance about the concept of avidyA in vyAkhyAnakAra-s works like bhAmati and vivaraNa prompting others to question the role of avidyA in Advaita Vedanta based mUla bhAshya.  Yes, I do agree all these are mere dialectics but shankara talked about it while presenting the brahma tattva and cautioned us that even shAstric vyavahAra i.e. including brahman jignAsa also within the sphere of adhyAsa ( taking himself as ‘jignAsu / pramAtru/jnAtru), so knowing the basic problem is important here like rightly diagnosing the disease help us to take the right medicine 😊 Just my thoughts.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!

bhaskar

Namaste,

Raman_M

Jul 4, 2023, 2:34:49 AM7/4/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

namaste,

Perhaps known to most of you, but sharing in case there are some who are unaware.

[Quote From the wikipedia]

The notion of avidyā and its relationship to Brahman creates a crucial philosophical issue within Advaita Vedānta thought: how can avidyā appear in Brahman, since Brahman is pure consciousness?[170] For Shankara, avidya is a perceptual or psychological error.[96] According to Satchidanandendra Saraswati, for Shankara "avidya is only a technical name to denote the natural tendency of the human mind that is engaged in the act of superimposition."[171] The later tradition diverged from Shankara by turning avidya into a metaphysical principle, namely mulavidya or "root ignorance," a metaphysical substance which is the "primal material cause of the universe (upadana)," thereby setting aside Shankara's 'Unevolved Name-and-Form' as the explanation for the existence of materiality.[96][172] According to Mayeda, "[i]n order to save monism, they characterized avidya as indefinable as real or unreal (sadasadbhyam anirvacanya), belonging neither to the category of being nor to that of non-being."[96] In the 20th century, this theory of mulavidya became a point of strong contention among Advaita Vedantins, with Satchidanandendra Saraswati arguing that Padmapada and Prakasatman had misconstrued Shanakara's stance.[173]

Shankara did not give a 'location' of avidya, giving precedence to the removal of ignorance.[174][note 34] Sengaku Mayeda writes, in his commentary and translation of Adi Shankara's Upadesasahasri:

Certainly the most crucial problem which Sankara left for his followers is that of avidyā. If the concept is logically analysed, it would lead the Vedanta philosophy toward dualism or nihilism and uproot its fundamental position.[175]

The later Advaita-tradition diverged from Shankara, trying to determinate a locus of avidya,[176] with the Bhamati-school locating avidya in the jiva c.q. prakriti, while the Vivarana-school locates it in Brahman.[177][176]

[Unquote]

Raman

ps: If any of you have access to the article of shri S K Arun murthi

titled

The Mūlāvidyā Controversy Among Advaita Vedāntins: was Śaṅkara Himself Responsible?

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10781-008-9053-9

and if possible and permissible, kindly share

thank you

On 29-06-2023 12:14, Simha Hnln wrote:

[...]

Bhaskar YR

Jul 4, 2023, 3:25:58 AM7/4/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Raman prabhuji

Hare Krishna

The notion of avidyā and its relationship to Brahman creates a crucial philosophical issue within Advaita Vedānta thought: how can avidyā appear in Brahman, since Brahman is pure consciousness?

Ø         Yes, for that matter dualists too raise this objection.  Perhaps forethinking these objecttions, bhAshyakAra written adhyAsa bhAshya to clarify his stand about the concept of avidyA.  And in short elsewhere, bhAshyakAra himself clarifies when one realizes that the brahman is pure consciousness and he is brahman then there is no avidyA whatsoever to anyone.  As per shankara adhyAsa is ‘sarvAnartha hetu’.

[170] For Shankara, avidya is a perceptual or psychological error.[96] According to Satchidanandendra Saraswati, for Shankara "avidya is only a technical name to denote the natural tendency of the human mind that is engaged in the act of superimposition

Ø     Yes, this stand ofcourse based on what bhAshyakAra himself said in his adhyAsabhAshya.  adhyAsa is naisargika, svAbhAvika and quite evident in day to day life transaction.  And he also clarified that this adhyAsa is avidyA.

."[171] The later tradition diverged from Shankara by turning avidya into a metaphysical principle, namely mulavidya or "root ignorance," a metaphysical substance which is the "primal material cause of the universe (upadana)," thereby setting aside Shankara's 'Unevolved Name-and-Form' as the explanation for the existence of materiality.[96][172] According to Mayeda, "[i]n order to save monism, they characterized avidya as indefinable as real or unreal (sadasadbhyam anirvacanya), belonging neither to the category of being nor to that of non-being."[96] In the 20th century, this theory of mulavidya became a point of strong contention among Advaita Vedantins, with Satchidanandendra Saraswati arguing that Padmapada and Prakasatman had misconstrued Shanakara's stance

  • avidyA is anirvachaneeya, it is neither sat nor asat, nor tattva, nor attatva, but it is brahmAshrita, it is mUla, it is root cause etc. are the later additions to the definition of avidyA/ adhAsa which hardly finds any substance  in mUla bhAshya.  Sri SSS says this is because unwarranted equalization of avidyA with mAya.

Shankara did not give a 'location' of avidya, giving precedence to the removal of ignorance

Ø     However shankara clarified there is no transactions like vidyAvidyA in brahman.  The upasiddhAnta from this is quite evident.

.[174][note 34] Sengaku Mayeda writes, in his commentary and translation of Adi Shankara's Upadesasahasri:

Certainly the most crucial problem which Sankara left for his followers is that of avidyā. If the concept is logically analysed, it would lead the Vedanta philosophy toward dualism or nihilism and uproot its fundamental position

  • Fortunately those who know the adhyArOpa – apavAda prakriya  in shuddha shankara Vedanta would not succumb to this trap.

K Kathirasan

Jul 4, 2023, 3:39:15 AM7/4/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Bhaskar ji,

I thank you for the clarification and I see the thrust of your argument being the appreciation of avidya as essential to a jijnasu or mumukshu. I would like to offer another perspective. However for the sake of being focused, my sharing below is to answer the question, ‘Is the appreciation of Avidya necessary for a mumukshu/jijnasu or is it part of the pedagogy’?

Shankara talking about avidya/adhyasa in the Prasthana Traya Bhashya-s (including the Adhyasa Bhashya), is not the acknowledgement of a mumukshu having the need to know what is adhyasa ‘conceptually'. Though Shankara’s Prasthana Traya Bhashya-s and his traditional interpretation help both teachers and sadhakas to know Brahman, the greater value it provides us is the appreciation of the Advaita Vedanta Siddhanta. In fact, it is my opinion that his commentaries are undisputedly essential for teachers more than sadhaka-s, though the latter can benefit from it too but dispensable as long as the sadhaka is learning from a samapradayavit teacher.

However Shankara's commentaries are guided by the verse sequence and structure of the Prasthana Traya itself. He did not have the opportunity to present an elaborate pedagogy (though stating it just as a jargon i.e. Adhyaropa Apavada) as he was confined to the texts. The prefaces to the commentaries such as the Adhyasa Bhashya, Upodghata to the Bhagavad Gita Bhashya and the various Upanishads are also classic examples where Shankara makes what is implicit in the Shruti, explicit. In fact I have found just studying and contemplating Shankara’s prefaces to be radically enlightening too.

Given my presumption that Shankara had not given an elaborate pedagogy as to how a teacher teaches a muumukshu anywhere in his Bhashyas, where else can we go to for finding the answer? I found my answer in the Shishya Pratibodha Vidhi Prakaranam of his Upadesha Sahasri’s Prose Section. This title literally means ’The Chapter on the Method of Teaching a Disciple’. I love this chapter because Shankara, possibly for the first time, shows how a Sadhaka should be taught by a samapradayavit teacher.

Herein he displays how a teacher skilfully uses the traditional methodology of Adhyaropa Apavada without using that term explicitly. He presents the pre-requisites of the teacher and the sadhaka. In this elaborate presentation where he gives a sample dialogue between a student and teacher, where the latter furnishes the Shruti vakya-s one by one along with reasoning for the various erroneous notions that the Sadhaka may hold about Brahman or the Self. In this chapter, the topic of enlightening the sadhaka on Avidya is totally absent.

However, in the next chapter the disciple suddenly asks ‘What is Ignorance’. To this question, the teacher answers:

"You are the non-transmigratory Supreme Self, but you wrongly think that you are one liable to transmigration. (Similarly), not being an agent or an experience you wrongly consider yourself to be so. Again, you are eternal but mistake yourself to be non-eternal. This is Ignorance.”

If you study the above mentioned verse, one would realise that instead of presenting avidya as a concept, Shankara clearly states that it is an error that needs to removed. And on the next few verses the teacher facilitates an ‘experiential inquiry’ as opposed to a 'didactic presentation’ of adhyasa. This is an important point for one to see that Shankara does not get into a didactic presentation of avidya. Instead even when teaching what adhyasa is to the sadhaka, he maintains the inquiry centred on the ‘I’, the first person experience. To me this is a very crucial aspect of the pedagogy that Shankara advocates.

From the above, I hope that we can also see another perspective where Shankara demonstrates that a conceptual or a didactic presentation of Avidya is not necessary for a Sadhaka. If at all, when the question of Avidya is raised by a Sadhaka, the teacher skilfully directs the inquiry into one’s personal experience of erroneously identifying oneself as the non-Self. And that too this discussion is only necessary when the Sadhaka asks this question, and not in the presupposed agenda for teaching, as evidenced in the Shishya Pratibodha Vidhi Prakaranam of the Upadesha Sahasri. Perhaps this is the grandeur of Upadesha Sahasri itself where Shankara is not restricted (not in a negative sense) by the order of verses that he can’t negotiate with when commenting on the Prasthana Traya.

Warmest Regards,
Kathirasan K

Venkatraghavan S

Jul 4, 2023, 3:55:54 AM7/4/23
to Advaitin
Namaste Kathirasan ji,
I think what you have stated is precisely the case. I have felt the same when looking at the overall presentation of Shankaracharya's. Thank you.

However, the issue that I have is when later commentators have sought to address this question - in reaction to challenges to Shankara's presentation of advaita by various other schools - that interpretation has been cast by a few as something that is fundamentally extrinsic / contradictory to the bhAShyakAra's presentation, in effect, positioning the later vyAkhyAnakAra-s as deliberately going against the views of the pre-eminent teacher in our tradition. We have seen echoes of those charges in this very thread itself.

These discussions therefore are primarily to challenge such a view.

Kind regards
Venkatraghavan

Bhaskar YR

Jul 4, 2023, 5:27:24 AM7/4/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Kathirasan prabhuji

Hare Krishna

Thanks for your clarification.  Yes, for the sincere sAdhaka / mumukshu what is required is a shrotreeya / brahmanishTa guru, his personal guidance as per sampradaya and shAstra.  One to one personal contact and his personal guidance is enough for the shishya’s self aggrandizement (AtmOnnati) according to his adhikAra.

But why some still insisted for the clarity of avidyA ‘as per’ shankara Advaita is just because that would help those who want to know shuddha shankara Vedanta prakriya, though it is mere academic I don’t think it is absolute unnecessary in vedAnta jignAsa.  The emphasis has special significance since those theories floating with the tag of shuddha shankara Vedanta within themselves drastically differs and belittle each other.  Yes, these things hardly a matter of concern those who genuinely indulged in Atma svarUpa jignAsa.  But for those who baffled to see the various methodologies conceived by various commentators and those who are identifying themselves with absolute minorities ( just 1% out of 100% ) in sampradaya would be eager to know more about shankara prakriya as enshrined in mUla bhAshya.  I humbly believe this attempt regarding determination of bhAshyArtha would help them in the process of ‘mananaM’.  Ofcourse, everyone would agree mananam has to take place with shruti, shrutyukta tarka and sarvatrika pUrNAnubhava ( an universal experience of everyone).  In this scenario (if not in the guru-shishya teaching method exclusively meant for realization) there is no problem in carrying out the deliberation on the enigmatic concepts like mAya, avidyA, mithya, adhyAsa, asat etc. to determine the contextual usage of these terms in PTB.  Yes, I once again reiterate that it is purely polemic in nature but I reckon it is never ever out of syllabus of Advaita doctrine especially when those vyAkhyAnakAra-s, who themselves scholars, venerable and knowers of traditional methods, do not accept one another’s interpretations / vyAkhyAna!!.  When someone say I am from vivaraNa school it is obvious that he has some reservations against bhAmati and vice versa.  So some after seeing all this given the final and worthy call : when shankara bhagavatpaada himself there why others!!??  Go back to shankara, shankara bhAshyamekaM sharaNaM vraja.

Bhaskar YR

Jul 4, 2023, 6:41:39 AM7/4/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Venkataraghavan prabhuji

Hare Krishna

However, the issue that I have is when later commentators have sought to address this question - in reaction to challenges to Shankara's presentation of advaita by various other schools

  • I think this is very important observation.  Later commentators addressed some of the issues and elaborated some concepts to clarify some issues raised by various other schools in general and  dualists in particular against shankara’s presentation of those same concepts.  Yes, Sri SSS also points out this in one of his works.

that interpretation has been cast by a few as something that is fundamentally extrinsic / contradictory to the bhAShyakAra's presentation, in effect, positioning the later vyAkhyAnakAra-s as deliberately going against the views of the pre-eminent teacher in our tradition.

  • It may be noted this has happened within the tradition itself i.e. between bhAmati and vivaraNa prasthAta ( Sri SSS says vArtika prasthAna is an exception to this) long time before others finding them at fault when presenting the shuddha shankara prakriya.  bhAmati vyAkhyAnakAra has been abused as ‘mandana prushta sevi’ just because his over reliance on mandana’s brahma siddhi and vivaraNa’s vyAkhyAna termed as ‘gArdaba gaana’ by bhAmati vyAkhyAnakAra just because to counter the below belt comments of vivaraNa on bhAmati.  So, these inner confrontational movements were existing within the traditional circle and some unbiased sampradayavids attempted reconciliation to bring these rivalries on a common platform but in vain.  Example, Sri Appayya deekshitar’s SLS.

We have seen echoes of those charges in this very thread itself.

Ø     The main person insisting his followers to ‘go back to shankara’ Sri SSS says, it would be better to stick to genuine Advaita sampradaya it should be given all the value and importance and better than all others’ opinions the siddhanta expressed by the bhAshyakAra in his PTB.  And we can always consider the Advaita siddhAnta established on the basis of the mere logical devices adopted by vyAkhyAnakAra-s for the purpose of refutation of dualists’ objections as just another opinion on Advaita which may not be in line with mUla bhAshya.  And he further observes that, because of this,  whenever, in any context, there exist any disparity of opinion among vyAkhyAna ( mainly written to counter dualists) we should follow ONLY original opinion expressed by mUla bhAshyakAra since it is self-sufficient to deduce any complicated concept within siddhAnta.

These discussions therefore are primarily to challenge such a view.

Ø     I am trying to prepare some notes on avidyA in sushupti based on Sri SSS’s works like gaudapAda hrudaya, mAndUkya rahasya vivruttiH, avasthAtraya Chandrika, paramArtha chintAmaNi etc. But kindly note not to challenge the 99% but to show what 1% would think on these terms.  To show this I have only one source i.e. Sri SSS’s works and I am entirely dependent on that sole source (ofcourse backed by mUla bhAshya) to present my views as against plenty of traditional sources and supports which vehemently and vociferously declaring otherwise.  But I think, as before, I should give it a try in my free time without leaving it in the middle citing the reason that it is not necessary to deliberate on these issues in brahma jignAsa 😊

Venkatraghavan S

Jul 4, 2023, 7:36:00 AM7/4/23
to Advaitin
Namaste Bhaskar ji,

On Tue, 4 Jul 2023, 11:41 'Bhaskar YR' via advaitin, <adva...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

  • It may be noted this has happened within the tradition itself i.e. between bhAmati and vivaraNa prasthAta ( Sri SSS says vArtika prasthAna is an exception to this) long time before others finding them at fault when presenting the shuddha shankara prakriya.  bhAmati vyAkhyAnakAra has been abused as ‘mandana prushta sevi’ just because his over reliance on mandana’s brahma siddhi and vivaraNa’s vyAkhyAna termed as ‘gArdaba gaana’ by bhAmati vyAkhyAnakAra just because to counter the below belt comments of vivaraNa on bhAmati.  So, these inner confrontational movements were existing within the traditional circle and some unbiased sampradayavids attempted reconciliation to bring these rivalries on a common platform but in vain.  Example, Sri Appayya deekshitar’s SLS.
As sanAtana dharma anuyAyi-s, it is incumbent upon us to take the best qualities of our forefathers / our sampradAya AchArya-s and use that as models for emulation.  As the upaniShAd also - yAnyasmAkagm sucharitAni, tAni tvayopAsyAni....no itarANi.

Like the mythical hamsa / annapakshi that takes only the milk from a mixture of milk and water, let us imbibe the right values and leave the unsuitable ones aside. Let us leave judgements to the others.

[...]

We should certainly take the bhAShya as our guide, but where the import of the bhAShya one can take the vyAkhyA-s also. One need not set them aside in toto.

These discussions therefore are primarily to challenge such a view.

Ø     I am trying to prepare some notes on avidyA in sushupti based on Sri SSS’s works like gaudapAda hrudaya, mAndUkya rahasya vivruttiH, avasthAtraya Chandrika, paramArtha chintAmaNi etc. But kindly note not to challenge the 99% but to show what 1% would think on these terms.  To show this I have only one source i.e. Sri SSS’s works and I am entirely dependent on that sole source (ofcourse backed by mUla bhAshya) to present my views as against plenty of traditional sources and supports which vehemently and vociferously declaring otherwise.  But I think, as before, I should give it a try in my free time without leaving it in the middle citing the reason that it is not necessary to deliberate on these issues in brahma jignAsa 😊

Yes please, that would be a very useful exercise - some of Sri SSS's insights into the bhAShya are really brilliant. Your efforts will certainly be helpful to all mumukshu-s.

Kind regards,
Venkatraghavan

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!

bhaskar

Venkatraghavan S

Jul 4, 2023, 7:37:26 AM7/4/23
to Advaitin
Sorry - wanted to say "where the import of the bhAShya is doubtful, one can take the vyAkhyA-s also".

putran M

Jul 7, 2023, 1:42:54 AM7/7/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 4, 2023 at 7:37 AM Venkatraghavan S <agni...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry - wanted to say "where the import of the bhAShya is doubtful, one can take the vyAkhyA-s also".

Namaskaram,

I have not followed closely this round of discussion. But I understand, the traditional schools that hold such positions on "mithya" and "avidya" are not doing so because the bhashya is doubtful at places. Their stand is that the import of the Upanishads as expounded in the bhashya is that avidya is synonymous with maya ultimately or that there is an ontological category of mithya. There is no concession here. Vivarana has its understanding, Bhamati has its; and SSS has his. It is doubtful to us only.

thollmelukaalkizhu

Venkatraghavan S

Jul 7, 2023, 3:26:23 AM7/7/23
to Advaitin
Namaste Putran ji

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023, 06:42 putran M, <putr...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 4, 2023 at 7:37 AM Venkatraghavan S <agni...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry - wanted to say "where the import of the bhAShya is doubtful, one can take the vyAkhyA-s also".

Namaskaram,

I have not followed closely this round of discussion. But I understand, the traditional schools that hold such positions on "mithya" and "avidya" are not doing so because the bhashya is doubtful at places. Their stand is that the import of the Upanishads as expounded in the bhashya is that avidya is synonymous with maya ultimately or that there is an ontological category of mithya.
There is no concession here.

That is not the subject of the discussion, nor am I implying the above. I do not intend to say that the reason why there is a difference of opinion between commentators, is because the bhAShya is doubtful.

Vivarana has its understanding, Bhamati has its; and SSS has his. It is doubtful to us only.

Rather, all I am saying is that where one has a doubt as to what the bhAShyakAra means, one can refer to commentaries. This is a matter of personal experience. To this day, there are many portions of the bhAShya where I rely on commentaries to understand what the bhAShyakAra had in mind. That is no slight on the bhAShya.

There is a hidden depth to Shankaracharya's writing which is not always immediately apparent, which is clarified when one reads the commentaries. That is all that is being implied.

Regards
Venkatraghavan

Praveen R. Bhat

Jul 7, 2023, 4:26:41 AM7/7/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Venkatji,

On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 12:56 PM Venkatraghavan S <agni...@gmail.com> wrote:

There is a hidden depth to Shankaracharya's writing which is not always immediately apparent, which is clarified when one reads the commentaries. That is all that is being implied.

Very well said. I see bhAShya is vishvatomukha and has scope of more and more possibilities of explanation like sUtras. To some, these are confusing, while to some they are clarifying. I have always seen the focus of vyAkhyAs and TIkAs as the latter, meaning to clarify the genuine doubts of the seekers. The side-effect is vidvatpradarshana or vidvatmanoranjana. I find beauty in vivaraNa as well as bhAmati pakShas without compromising mUlabhAShya and the end advaita goal. The issue is only when there is focus on petty namecalling or when they are pitted against each other. No seeker really needs to focus on it and lose heart!

asmadAchAryaparyantAM vande guruparamparAm.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,

Bhaskar YR

Jul 7, 2023, 5:24:24 AM7/7/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

Vivarana has its understanding, Bhamati has its; and SSS has his. It is doubtful to us only.

praNAms Sri Putran prabhuji

Hare Krishna

Yes, your observation is quite accurate and in a way, Sri SSS is not an exception to this 😊  Let us take an example of ‘X’ aspect in a main text book.  Digest (1) says X is ‘a’ and by explaining the X through  ‘a’ claims that it would ease the difficulty in understanding the X aspect in main text.  Digest (2) says Oh!! No,  ‘X’ in the main text should be understood as ‘b’ and it is not ‘a’!!  and the authors of Digest (2) would explain and claim that the X aspect we have to understand  through ‘b’ only and that would ease the difficulty in understanding the ‘X’ in main text and also helps us to realize the ‘drawbacks’ of thinking the X as ‘a’ in Digest (1) 😊 And there starts the squabble between the authors of Digest (1) & (2).  After seeing all this, some other publication would come up with the suggestion and clarification that in the main text itself the  X aspect has been explained without giving any room for any doubt and it is in itself self-sufficient and we have the detailed explanation of all the related X aspect issues at various places in the main text itself and depending on the context we have to understand this X aspect without ‘disturbing’ the main or fundamental purpose (uddesha) of main text.  And, here,  no need to mention those who want to know the main intent of main text about aspect ‘X’, the last option is quite appealing 😊  And I think this is self-explanatory in this context to understand that why would insist ONLY mUla bhAshya and why not sub-commentaries.

Bhaskar YR

Jul 7, 2023, 6:17:47 AM7/7/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

is that avidya is synonymous with maya

praNAms Sri Putran prabhuji

Hare Krishna

While Sri SSS categorically rejects this claim I have seen in the Advaita works itself the enigmatic term mAya has been explained differently at different places considering the different contexts.  Here are some of those explanations :

  1. mAya is avidyAkruta
  2. mAya is Ishwara shakti
  3. mAya is brahmAnanya
  4. mAya is anirvachaneeya & mithyaa
  5. mAya is a thing which is not actually there.
  6. mAya is tuccha & heena in vyavahAra
  7. mAya is atyanta abhAva vastu ( like hare’s horn) in paramArthika
  8. mAya is nothing but parabrahman since there is abedha between shakti and shaktivanta

And recently I have seen 3 more definitions from 3 different perspectives, source panchadashi shloka : mAya is tuccha & atyanta abhAva (6&7 above), mAya as per logic it is mithyA and anirvachaneeya (4) and mAya is very much real from the transactional view point.

Raman M

Jul 8, 2023, 1:49:01 AM7/8/23
to Advaitin
one gentleman was kind enough to forward me the article of sri arun murthi and some observations from his notes....

[quote]
Swami Satchidanandendra Saraswati issued an appeal (Vijn˜apti) to all scholars in 1961and called for a debate on this issue. Doherty refers to this Vijn˜apti (2005; p. 212, fn. 9) and gives the names of scholars for and against the views of SS (ibid, p. 213, fn. 10) in that debate. She, in the same paper, makes a reference to ´a¯rada¯Pı another debate initiated by Sr:ngerı¯S ¯t:ha in 1976 to settle the issue of mu¯la¯vidya¯ (p. 223). It is clear from Doherty that Sringeri Pı¯t:ha was against the views of SS on mu¯la¯vidya¯. But D. B. Gangoli whom she alsocitesinsomeothercontextinthesamepapermentionsthattheSr:ngerı¯JagadguruhadvisitedSSandgot clarified SS’s view and was fully satisfied with it (1997; p. 30). Then what was the need for organizing a debate by Sr:ngerı¯Pı¯t:ha after the passing away of SS? It appears there is some apparent contradiction here. 5 This debate continues till date on a low key in private circles and only restricted to scholars of older generation within the state of Karnataka (erstwhile Mysore state). The main followers of this view of SS were Veda¯nta s´iroman:i S. Vittala Sastri, Veda Brahma Sri H.S. Laksminarasimhamurthy, Sri Devarao Kulkarni and D.B. Gangolli. However his followers did not seriously pursue with vigour on this issue though they were committed to such a view. When the author of this paper in his personal talk with Laxminarasimhamurthy had raised the issue of mu¯la¯vidya¯, he said that the fight which ensued in the debate between the two sides was so bitter that he does not want to rake up the issue any more. The monastic institutions like Sringeri, considered to be the centre of Advaitic learning use all their power and influence to suppress such intellectual debates.
[unquote]

Bhaskar YR

Jul 10, 2023, 1:12:17 AM7/10/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms

Hare Krishna

Swami Satchidanandendra Saraswati issued an appeal (Vijn˜apti) to all scholars in 1961and called for a debate on this issue. Doherty refers to this Vijn˜apti (2005; p. 212, fn. 9) and gives the names of scholars for and against the views of SS (ibid, p. 213, fn. 10) in that debate.

  • Yes this was there and apart from personally inviting scholars for debate, Sri SSS has also written letters to various scholars across India with regard to his stand against mUlAvidyA and got the answers from them as well and replied to their queries and objections.  It seems Karyalaya has the printed details of these debates.

She, in the same paper, makes a reference to ´a¯rada¯Pı another debate initiated by Sr:ngerı¯S ¯t:ha in 1976 to settle the issue of mu¯la¯vidya¯ (p. 223). It is clear from Doherty that Sringeri Pı¯t:ha was against the views of SS on mu¯la¯vidya¯.

  • And Marta Doherty (most probably a follower of SDS of Arsha vidya) herself against the stand of Sri SSS has written extensively about Sri SSS’s mUlAvidyAnirAsa.  And I myself talked to her with regard to this and got the paper from her (softcopy) which I provided to Sri jnAnaprasUnandendra Saraswati who answered all the objections raised in her paper in support of mUlAvidyA vAda.

But D. B. Gangoli whom she alsocitesinsomeothercontextinthesamepapermentionsthattheSr:ngerı¯JagadguruhadvisitedSSandgot clarified SS’s view and was fully satisfied with it (1997; p. 30).

  • This is not 100% sure.  But in a small booklet in Kannada ‘ mulAvidyA bhAshya vArtika viruddha’ the author Sri Vittala shastri ( Sri jnaanaanandendra Saraswati, direct disciple of Sri SSS) observes, it was about to conclude that the concept of mUlAvidyA as explained by vykhyAna-s is not in line with mUla bhAsya at divya sannidhaanaM.  But it is not clear what exactly came in between to conclude anything in substance.

Then what was the need for organizing a debate by Sr:ngerı¯Pı¯t:ha after the passing away of SS? It appears there is some apparent contradiction here. 5 This debate continues till date on a low key in private circles and only restricted to scholars of older generation within the state of Karnataka (erstwhile Mysore state). The main followers of this view of SS were Veda¯nta s´iroman:i S. Vittala Sastri, Veda Brahma Sri H.S. Laksminarasimhamurthy, Sri Devarao Kulkarni and D.B. Gangolli.

  • All are from Sri SSS’s school only 😊  Atmanandendra Saraswati, jnana prasunandendra  Saraswati, Sri Mattur Ashwattha Narayana avadhani, Sri ChandramouLi avadhani (brothers,  both are now taken sannyasa) and Sri KG Subbaraya sharma some more names that can be added to this list.

However his followers did not seriously pursue with vigour on this issue though they were committed to such a view. When the author of this paper in his personal talk with Laxminarasimhamurthy had raised the issue of mu¯la¯vidya¯, he said that the fight which ensued in the debate between the two sides was so bitter that he does not want to rake up the issue any more. The monastic institutions like Sringeri, considered to be the centre of Advaitic learning use all their power and influence to suppress such intellectual debates.

Ø     Yes I have heard about this in one of the vedAnta shibira at HN Pur that Sringeri authorities would not invite scholars who follow Sri SSS’s perspective whenever there is vidvat gOshti.