Detached living

V Subrahmanian

Nov 26, 2020, 10:42:11 AM11/26/20
to A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, adva...@googlegroups.com
A pilgrim, on the way back to his town, halted at a dharmasala. He appeased his hunger there with the free meal offered to him. Then, desirous of doing good and acquiring punya, he joined the inmates in serving food to the pilgrims who had come there. Thereafter, he helped in cleaning up the place. Before retiring for the night, he engaged in conversation with the others, expressed his sympathy to those who voiced their personal problems and also gave them beneficial suggestions. He behaved as if the choultry was his home and the persons there were his family members. Yet, his mind was fully at peace and he left the next morning without the least hesitation or regret. After he returned to his home, a person asked him, "Where did you spend your last night?", "At the dharmasala," he replied." "What transpired there? ", asked the relative. "Nothing of consequence. I ate there, slept and left. That is all."
A married man has many duties and responsibilities and he has to face many a problem affecting his family. The scriptures and Bhagavatpada graciously advise him to lead his family life without attachment. He ought to be like the pilgrim during his stay at the dharmasala. He will then perform his duties and face family problems effectively and efficiently but without any mental agitation.
- Jagadguru Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamigal - Parables of Acharyal.
(Source: Exalting Elucidations, Sri Vidyatheertha Foundation)

Srini Nagul

Nov 26, 2020, 11:03:45 AM11/26/20
to A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, adva...@googlegroups.com
Hari OM
Thanks for sharing the parable. And thanks to all saints and souls for all the guidance and teaching. Thanksgiving and pranams to all.

Even though the parable is is helpful to reflect, it oversimplifies the approach.

Person spending a night in dharmasala is fully aware that the consequences of his choices and decisions have absolutely no impact
the day after. Even while staying in austere conditions of dharmasala, there is immense luxury of thought that it is going to end in a day!
Easy to practise "detached" part of living in dharmasala that has requirement for "viveka". One can also practice "viveka" at dharmasla,
but can get away without it. Not so back at home.

"Detached" part of living at home requires "vairagya" borne out of "viveka" - right thinking, and relentlessly alert living, not its lack,
for performing duties dutifully and face challenges efficiently.

Hari OM
-Srinivas

sunil bhattacharjya

Nov 26, 2020, 11:02:33 PM11/26/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Dear Subbuji.

Your parables has a pleasant and peaceful ending. I shudder to think, how the following patheric scenes took place:
(i)
I understand that Shri Ramanujacharya, the founder of the Vishishtadvaita school, abandoned his wife, without giving her any clue. and took to Sanyasa,  when his wife went to visit her prenatal home. I also read that when  his guru Shri Yadavaprakasha was taking him to Varanasi along with the other disciples,  Shri Ramanujacharya secretly ran away from the group at mid-night and told his people back at home that he ran away as his guru conspired to kill him.
(ii)
So also it is so pathetic that Shri Raghavendra Swami of the Dvaita school, abandoned his wife and his starving wife had to commit suicide. Kindly correct me if what I heard is wrong.

I understand that one cannot leave one's wife without taking her permission. The sage Yajnavalkya took the permission of his wife Maitreyi before taking sanyasa and his wife asked him as to how he would manage to live on in the forest. The sage replied that he needed only "Phalakanadodaka" i.e., Phala (fruit), Kanda (tuberous root) and Udaka (water) to live on and that is available, where he was going to.

Regards,
Sunil KB

vishnu Bapat

Nov 27, 2020, 12:34:54 AM11/27/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com
This is vijnyana. Please keep sending such practical tidbits