Sri Jaishankar Narayanan prabhuji Acharya at Arsha Vidya Varshini

Bhaskar YR

Jan 13, 2023, 2:41:58 AM1/13/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, Advaita-L

praNAms

Hare Krishna

Recently I have seen Sri Jaishankar Narayanan prabhuji’s photo in FB.  I am happy to know through him only that he has been dedicating his whole time in Advaita sAdhana, pravachana, building gurukula, helping vedAnta students, teaching Sanskrit, vedanta etc. Frankly I did not know that when I was engaging with him in dicussion, thought he was also like me an armchair philosopher/householder discussing Vedanta  during his free time, sitting at office .  But that is not the fact.  He gave up everything in his life and completely dedicating in veda mAta seva.  Our philosophical differences apart, my humble praNAms to him.  Being an ordinary householder with all greed and ambitions in life, sAdhana as such not worth mentioning I should not have discussed with him in freestyle .  My praNAms and utmost respect to him.  I hereby tender by unconditional apologies if at all during the discussion, at the heat of the moment,  hurt his feelings and sentiments.

He is really a true vedAnti and vairagya is OtaprOta in his life. Those who want to know more about his dedicated and unselfish services , can read the link provided by him below. Sincerely I feel I need minimum 100 janma-s to get this dispassion  in me.  Being an ordinary materialistic householder I really feel myself fortunate and proud for having the satsanga of noble souls like Sri Jaishankar prabhuji, Sri Subbu prabhuji, Sri Praveen Bhat prabhuji, Sri Venkatraghavan prabhuji etc.  My humble praNAms to them all.

Here is the link and Sri Jaishankar prabhuji’s words :

//QUOTE//

If you are visiting Tirunelveli or Kanyakumari please call and come to the Gurukulam we are building. You can get some idea about what we are doing from here - https://www.indica.today/conversations/human-problems-are-fundamentally-the-same-wherever-you-are-jaishankar-narayanan/

//UNQUOTE//

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!

bhaskar

putran M

Jan 13, 2023, 3:03:35 AM1/13/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaskaram Bhaskar-ji,

Are you saying you accept now the things he said about Advaita, SSS or the followers of SSS? Or that your words on these topics can be dismissed here on since you are an armchair philosopher? If that is not the case, then we can appreciate his efforts without being apologetic about our debates here.

When people here recently condemned Raghavendra or his followers, based on their statements on advaitins and Shankara, I don't think anyone is questioning their exemplary vairagya (by comparing ourselves with Sri Raghavendra) and other sadhana for the cause of the sanatana dharma.

thollmelukaalkizhu

Bhaskar YR

Jan 13, 2023, 4:06:33 AM1/13/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Putran prabhuji

Hare Krishna

Are you saying you accept now the things he said about Advaita, SSS or the followers of SSS?

  • Have I said that!!??

Or that your words on these topics can be dismissed here on since you are an armchair philosopher?

  • IMO, an armchair philosopher cannot be always wrong and dedicated vedAntin cannot be every time right 😊  Respecting someone for his unselfish services, acknowledging it in appreciation and offering apology for the acrimonious exchanges, do not mean whatever he said is right and whatever I shared is wrong!!  I don’t know how you have come to this conclusion that too when I specifically said : “Our philosophical differences apart”. For that matter even today I have my differences with Sri Subbu prabhuji and we have decided to stop vedAnta discussion. But this would not stop me to touch his feet and pray for his blessings when I meet him personally.  I hope you know the difference between ‘respecting’ a person and ‘accepting’ his/her view points blindly😊

If that is not the case, then we can appreciate his efforts without being apologetic about our debates here.

Ø     I am not talking about the ‘content’ of our debate I am talking about the ‘style’ of my debate.

When people here recently condemned Raghavendra or his followers, based on their statements on advaitins and Shankara, I don't think anyone is questioning their exemplary vairagya (by comparing ourselves with Sri Raghavendra) and other sadhana for the cause of the sanatana dharma.

Ø     I think I have already shared my thoughts on abusing Sri rAghavendra  with malicious intentions by the conditioned householders who do not have even an iota of vairagya.  People (socalled advaitins) attacked him without bothering anything about ‘exemplary vairagya’, his compassion, his bhakti towards mukunda etc. just because he wrote on Advaita and Advaita followers.  yes it would definitely hurt the sentiments of advaitins, but character assassination of a yOgi / yati / saNyAsi is not the way to avenge that.

Praveen R. Bhat

Jan 13, 2023, 6:53:32 AM1/13/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com, Advaita-L
Namaste Bhaskarji,

On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 1:11 PM 'Bhaskar YR' via advaitin <adva...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Being an ordinary materialistic householder I really feel myself fortunate and proud for having the satsanga of noble souls like Sri Jaishankar prabhuji, Sri Subbu prabhuji, Sri Praveen Bhat prabhuji, Sri Venkatraghavan prabhuji etc.

Thanks for your kind words; I just wish I live up to an iota of it!

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
/* येनेदं सर्वं विजानाति, तं केन विजानीयात्। Through what should one know That, owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */

putran M

Jan 13, 2023, 7:33:30 AM1/13/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaskaram Bhaskar-ji,

It is fine if based on outside knowledge, you form some opinions on who is a conditioned householder and who is an advanced vairagi deserving special respect. I am not objecting to your modulating your style accordingly or feeling apologetic about arguing a certain way with certain people (but not with others). That is natural.

Ideally however, the way I look at it, our style remains uniform irrespective of the person behind the name on the screen and changes its frequencies only in response to the content of their words on the screen.

thollmelukaalkizhu

Venkatraghavan S

Jan 13, 2023, 3:01:56 PM1/13/23
to Advaitin, Advaita-L
Namaste Bhaskar ji,

Thank you for the kind words, but I am certain I am out of place in such exalted company.

My namaskarams to wonderful people like Sri Jaishankar Narayanan who are examples for all of us.

Kind regards,
Venkatraghavan

Jaishankar Narayanan

Jan 14, 2023, 11:37:41 AM1/14/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

Bhaskar ji, Sada ji and Venkatraghavan ji - Thanks for your kind words. It is all blessings of the Shastra and Guru as stated by Vidyaranya at the end of triptideepam in Panchadashi

aho shaastram aho shaastram aho gururaho guruh |
aho jnaanam aho jnaanam aho sukham aho sukham ||

with love and prayers,
Jaishankar

Bhaskar YR

Jan 17, 2023, 3:11:34 AM1/17/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Putran prabhuji

Hare Krishna

  • I have to clarify certain things, hence writing this.

It is fine if based on outside knowledge, you form some opinions on who is a conditioned householder and who is an advanced vairagi deserving special respect.

  • It is not based on ‘outisde knowledge’ it is based on one’s walking his/her talk.  If it is merely based on ‘outside knowledge’ I am also qualified for that vairAgi post 😊.  I too can ‘talk’ lot about vairagya, niswArtha, dedicating the life to vedAnta, living the dispassionate life while in saMsAra etc. but without any ‘walk’.  IMO, those who walk their talks certainly deserve more and special respect.

I am not objecting to your modulating your style accordingly or feeling apologetic about arguing a certain way with certain people (but not with others). That is natural.

Ø     Yes it is quite natural, you can not talk the same thing in same way/tone/style with different people.  The style and way of asking and discussing a doubt about vedAnta with the guru is something different asking the same doubt and discussing it with your guru-bhais or other students of vedAnta.  In a day to day vyavahAra also it is quite natural, kids don’t ask their demands to their father like they do with mother 😊 When I was in vedAnta shibira more freely I used to discuss and argue a lot with other shibirArthi-s but when the same problem reached our guruji for the clarification it was in a more polished way without any silly and mischievous other talks that we had among ourselves.

Ideally however, the way I look at it, our style remains uniform irrespective of the person behind the name on the screen and changes its frequencies only in response to the content of their words on the screen.

Ø     Ideally my way of taking these things are little different.  I can take the lenience to discuss in freestyle with others who I think doing so like me.  So style of discussion will be casual without any significant diplomacy (not crossing the border though)   though I respect their view points.  Sri Putran prabhuji is for me a good friend with whom I can take the liberty to share my thoughts freely.  But tomorrow if I come to know Sri Putran prabhuji is a sanyasi, given up everything mentally physically just to pursue the vedAnta jnAna then after prostrating myself in front of him I would continue to discuss/share my thoughts with him in a more submissive way irrespective of whether we agree or not!!.  That is the saMskAra taught to me by my elders and that is the reason why I get disturbed when heard any personal abuses about Sri Raghavendra Swamiji, though he is Advaita dveshi, Acharya / Parampara nindaka in his works,  for me he is, first, a sanyasi in tattvavAda sampradaya, a yati / yogi/ bhakta of gOvinda.  This is how I look at the things and I am not compelling others to follow this.  They have their own rights to adopt same tone, language and style when discussing with a vairAgi or a traditional sanyasi / a bonafide Acharya in tradition/ with like minded other householder vedAntins / spiritual aspirants  or materialists who do vedAnta vichAra in their free time.

sunil bhattacharjya

Jan 17, 2023, 3:49:28 PM1/17/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bhaskarji,

Yes, the sanyashis are to be respected and we have to talk to them respectfully, and this is the norm in our religion. However, that does not mean that we have to agree thoughtlessly  with the actions and views of the sanyashi, just because he is a sanyashi. Many including me, are unable to codone the inhuman action of shri Raghavengra swami, when he deserted his wife and his wife had to starve and finally commit suicide.

Same thing applies in debates with a sanyashi. It is not necessary that the sanyashi is always right. If we find the sanyashi wrong, we must speak out  in a straightforward manner, albeit respectfully, without using any offensive language.

My 2 cents
Jai Shri Krishna
Sunil KB

Bhaskar YR

Jan 18, 2023, 11:43:33 PM1/18/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Sunil Bhattacharjya prabhuji

Hare Krishna

Many including me, are unable to codone the inhuman action of shri Raghavengra swami, when he deserted his wife and his wife had to starve and finally commit suicide.

Ø     I have not read his credible biography sofar.  Seen only Kannada movie about Sri Raghavendra ( maNtralaya mahAtme by Dr. Rajkumar) in that his wife through him would get the mukti when she approaches him with preta rUpa.  I don’t know what tattvavAdins say about this episode.  But don’t you think other schools followers also would have the same dubious thinking on our Acharya also!!??  Emotionally blackmailing his mother to take sannyasa ( Acharya pressurizes his mother : “permit me to take sannyasa otherwise crocodile would eat me”…is just using the mother sentiments wrongly to ease his path to renunciation, according to them 😊 ) and his pavAda in parakAya pravesha episode wherein it has been said he was enjoying the ‘sukha’ in king’s body with his wives and reluctant to return to his original shareera or oblivious of his true stature when he was completely enjoying ‘luxuries’ of royal life.  See for these episodes in biography we would give our own justifications and for us it is quite legitimate.  But others would always see these things in a suspicious manner just due to their hatred towards Advaita siddhAnta 😊  I don’t think case is something different when we the advaitins look at other Schools’ Acharya’s biography with this attitude.

Same thing applies in debates with a sanyashi. It is not necessary that the sanyashi is always right. If we find the sanyashi wrong, we must speak out  in a straightforward manner, albeit respectfully, without using any offensive language.

  • Yes, I agree with this.

sunil bhattacharjya

Jan 19, 2023, 2:36:25 PM1/19/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

Dear Bhaskarji,

Would you mind kindly letting us know in brief,  what are you trying to say through your following lengthy para? :
[...]

Do you also honestly think that people should ignore the inhuman treatment given to an innocent woman? Do you think Lord Krishna condoned his violation of the ethical rules of the grihastha dharma. ?

As regards your referring to the case of  Adi Shankara, please permit me to  tell you  that Adi Shankara was hardly seven years old boy at that time, when he, in the company of his childhood friend,  left his home in search of a guru. He did not blackmail his mother, giving a false story of a crocodile trying to kill him? The grip of crocodile clearly implied that he was in the grip of death as he could have had the premonition that he had had hardly nine (9) more years to live, and he wanted his mother to release him to go in search of a guru, in order to fulfil the very purpose of  taking his birth.  In fact he could be with his guru for nine years, when his guru too took his samadhi. At that time he had contact with  Vedavyasa, who blessed Adi Shankara ith 16 more years to live to complete the mission of his life. At that time he also met hisParam Guru Shri Gaudapadacharya in the Himalayas, and thereafter he followed the guidance of the param guru.

My 2 cents
Jai Shri Krishnajiki
Sunil KB

Bhaskar YR

Jan 20, 2023, 12:40:18 AM1/20/23
to adva...@googlegroups.com

praNAms Sri Sunil Bhattacharjya prabhuji

Hare Krishna

Would you mind kindly letting us know in brief,  what are you trying to say through your following lengthy para? :

Ø     It is surprising still you are asking this question.  OK one more time, we are not supposed to abuse any yati / sanyasi / yOgi without knowing the complete credentials of these biographies.  And the followers of different schools of thought would have their own justification / clarification for each and every questionable incidents in their respective traditional Achraya’s life, like what you written below with regard to shankara’s age, his mother etc. though traditionally accepted biographies giving different narrations of same incidents in his life!!??  So, if we really want to know what is that justification with regard to Sri rAghavendra’s socalled inhuman behavior towards his wife, we have to listen to tattvavAdi traditional.  And we should not hasten our opinion on our own on any of the Acharya-s just because they are talking against other sampradaya and siddhAnta.  Hope my stand is clear here.

[...]

Ø     Do you really think shankara ‘enjoyed’ the ‘practical’ kAma shAstra while learning about it in king’s body and forgot that he has entered that shareera of king for entirely different purpose??  See episodes like this would always be taken with pinch of salt granting some poetic freedom to the writer of these lines in biographies.

Ø    OK, let that be aside, take the ramaNa maharshi’s life history, he left everything and everybody all of a sudden and did not bother to even inform his mother.  And even after his mother personally approached him and pleaded in front of him to return home with tears in her eyes, ramaNa did not even respond to her pleadings for many days.  And finally after one of his followers / devotees seeing ramaNa’s mother’s struggle for several days asked ramaNa to atleast write something to console her as he was observing ‘mouna’ at that time.  ramaNa attributed his deeds to prArabda and quietly asked her to leave the place by writing a chit to her.  Do you really think making one’s mother cry is a noble act?? Can we expect Lord arunachaleshwara would bless ramaNa for not taking the permission of his parents and making her cry inconsolably!!??    See these things would happen for some definite purpose, we the mortals don’t know anything about it.  If I am right taking sannyasa was not the own decision of Sri Raghavendra, he decided to take sannyasa Ashrama as per the instructions given by his guru Sri vyAsarAja.  And there might be something more behind it. Who knows it!This is my humble opinion.