'Atma Gita' - Source ?

V Subrahmanian

Sep 6, 2020, 12:25:32 AM9/6/20
to A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, adva...@googlegroups.com
In the 9th Chapter, Dhyana Deepa Prakaranam, of the Panchadashi, Swami Vidyaranya cites some verses from an 'Atma Gita'.  A search for the verses commencing from 152 below does not yield any results.  Could anyone locate the source of the text called Atma Gita?  It is likely that it is part of Yoga Vasishtha.  In any case, the exact source of the text would give us more valuable verses for Mumukshu-s.

अर्थोऽयमात्मगीतायामपि स्पष्टमुदीरितः ।
विचाराक्षम आत्मानमुपासीतेति सन्ततम् ॥ १५१॥

साक्षात्कर्तुमशक्तोऽपि चिन्तयेन्मामशङ्कितः ।
कालेनानुभवारूढो भवेयं फलतो ध्रुवम् ॥ १५२॥

यथागाधनिधेःलब्धौ नोपायः खननं विना ।
मल्लभेऽपि तथा स्वात्मचिन्तां मुक्ता न चापरः ॥ १५३॥

देहोपलमपाकृत्य बुद्धिकुद्दलकात्पुनः ।
खात्वा मनोभुवं भूयो गृह्णीयान्मां निधिं पुमान् ॥ १५४॥

अनुभूतेरभावेऽपि ब्रह्मास्मीत्येव चिन्त्यताम् ।
अप्यसत् प्राप्यते ध्यानान्नित्याप्तं ब्रह्म किं पुनः ॥ १५५॥

Om Tat Sat

Sunder Hattangadi

Sep 6, 2020, 12:57:01 PM9/6/20
to A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, adva...@googlegroups.com
Some clues, but nothing definitive:

Also known as the Uddhava Gita, Krishna’s final discourse to his beloved disciple Uddhava on the eve of Krishna’s departure from the earth.

3) Uddhava Gita, also known as Hamsa Gita, from the Bhagavat Purana, in which Krishna, before leaving earth and returning to his heaven, Vaikuntha, summarizes the wisdom of his life to his companion Uddhava.

V Subrahmanian

Sep 6, 2020, 2:23:31 PM9/6/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
Thanks Sunder ji for the links.  In the commentary to the Panchadashi it is stated that those verses Swami Vidyaranya cites are from that work, even as it is stated in the first verse itself.  So, the actual verses are to be found in the text if and when we locate it.

regards
subbu

Sunder Hattangadi

Sep 7, 2020, 12:01:24 AM9/7/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
http://farmtofamilymusic.com/ShriAtmaGita.html
This website of Theosophy from Adyar gives a
translation of AtmaGita and refers to Uddhava Gita as the source, but without ch./verse.

Sent from my iPhone

sunil bhattacharjya

Sep 7, 2020, 1:57:54 AM9/7/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Sunderji. Many people are not aware that when Adi Shankara wanted to write a commentary on the Original bagavad Gita of 745 verses. Bhagavad gita, he was dissuaded from that and was advised instead to write a commentary on the Shri Lalita Trishati, and this was towards the end of his writing the commentaries. The reason is very clear that the Ajativada verse from the Bhagavad Gita was lifted to use it Gaudapada's commentary of the Mandukya Upanishad. Ajativada verse in a slightly modified language is very much there in the Uddhava Gita.

Around the 8th century AD, Bhatta Bhaskara of the Bhedabheda school  wrote a commentary of the Bhagavad Gita of 700 verses, in which 45 verses including the Ajativada verse was omitted from the text. Shri Abhinava Shankaracharya contested  the commentary of Bhatta Bhaskara, but he did not care to mention that the original bahagavad Gita had 745verses. Ironically, Shri Keshva Kashmiri BHatta of the Bhedabheda school himself admitted about 500 years ago that the original Bhagavad Gita has 745 verses.

Yours truly took care to bring out the Original Bhagavad Gita with 745 verses.

Regards.\Sunil KB

S Venkatraman

Sep 7, 2020, 3:31:23 AM9/7/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com, advaita-l
Namaste Subbuji,

I just listened to the commentary of Swami Paramarthananda on this verse of Panchadashi. He says Atma Gita also called Atma Purana is attributed to Shankarananda who is the Guru of Vidyaranya himself. According to him, Atma Purana is a voluminous work which analyses the Dasha Upanishads. It is similar to Anubhuti Prakasha of Vidyaranya and a Sanskrit commentary is also available on it.

Commenting on this verse, Swami Swahananda in Panchadashi published by Ramakrishna Mutt says, “Atma Gita or Atma Purana 131, probably by Sankarananda or Vidyasankara, the Pontiff of Sringeri before Bharatitirtha and Vidyaranya”. From the way numbers are used in this publication it appears that 131 is the verse no. in Atma Gita or Atma Purana.

Regards,
Venkatraman

V Subrahmanian

Sep 7, 2020, 4:00:34 AM9/7/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com, advaita-l
Thanks to all of you for mentioning the Atma Purana as a possible source, based on the commentaries/footnotes, etc. to the Panchadashi.  Sri Shankara, a member of this group, said in another group:

//All the available commentaries on Panchadasi are silent on the identity of Atmagita. Swami Swahananda says it is Atma Purana, but these two verses could not be found in Atma Purana.

regards
shankara //

So, we have to look for the source elsewhere.

regards
subbu

sunil bhattacharjya

Sep 7, 2020, 10:51:16 AM9/7/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Dear Venkataramanji,

I think Shankaranananda and Vidyashankara are two different persons. Historically Swami Vidyashankara Tirtha was the guru of the Kudali Shringeri math, and when Malik Kafur attacked Karnataka, in the very beginning of the 13th century, the Swamiji had to leave Kudali Shringeri and escape to the Kanchi Kamakoti Math and he was heartily welcome there, and he was offered the Mathadhikari position there. After Malik Kafur went back to Delhi, he killed his boss, the Khilji king, and married khilji's second wife, and then Malik Kafur himself was beheaded by Khilji's son from his  first wife and all these happened probably in a couple of year or less. The situation in Kurali Shringeri became normal and  later on Vidyashankara swami sent back his disciples  Vidyatirtha Swami as the Mathadhipati of the Kudalui Shringeri Math and his another disciple Swami Vidyaranya started another math in Hampi. Later on Swami Vidyatirtha shifted to New Tunga Shringeri and when he passed away Swami Vidyaranya became the Mathadhipati of the Shringeri math.

The things were very different eight centuries  ago and there was great brotherly relationship between the Shringeri math and the Kamakoti math but eventually and unfortunately that great britherhood seems to have disappeared. Sureshwaracharya who was the first mathadhipati of the Dwaraka math, appointed a successor to him  in the Dwarka math, and he himself  took over the Kanchi Kamakoti math, when Adi Shankara Passed away. Later on  when the Hastamalaka Swami, also known as Prithvidhara Swami wanted to leave Kudali Shringeri and go to  the Kanchi Kamakoti math, Swami Susrasharacharya himself shifted to the Shringeri math. However for weird reason, all these great friendly changes in these mathsin those old days, are frowned upon by the later generations in these maths.

I only wish a new mathadhikari would appear in any of these maths and he would succeed in restoring the friendship between these maths , which prevailed in the good old days, and I also hope that the Shringeri math would accepts the truth that Adi Shankara was born in 509 BCE. The Rajatarangini gives the proof that Adi Shankara did visit Kashmir in the 5th century BCE, and Shringeri math will never be able to ignore that truth, however much the present management of the math tries to do.

Regards,
Sunil KB

S Venkatraman

Sep 7, 2020, 12:08:04 PM9/7/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Sunilji for all this historical information. It was all very new to me. Regards,

Venkatraman

Sent from my iPhone

Thangavelu Singanallur

Sep 7, 2020, 9:32:57 PM9/7/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com, advaita-l
Harih Om to S. Venkatraman,
You mention "I just listened to the commentary of Swami Paramarthananda on this verse of Panchadashi". Can you please give the chapter and verse in Pancadasi. I am a student of Sw. Paramarthananda in winter months.
Regards
S. R. Thangavelu

Aravinda Rao

Sep 7, 2020, 9:56:14 PM9/7/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com, advaita-l
Thanks for the good historical note by Sri Sunil about the threats faced by the peethams. I too wish like him and want them to see the
future dangers.
Aravinda Rao

S Venkatraman

Sep 7, 2020, 10:16:52 PM9/7/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Thangaveluji,

It is chapter 9 verse 151. Regards,

Venkatraman.

Sent from my iPhone

Sunder Hattangadi

Sep 7, 2020, 11:22:00 PM9/7/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com

V Subrahmanian

Sep 8, 2020, 12:23:04 AM9/8/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 8:51 AM 'Sunder Hattangadi' via advaitin <adva...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Having downloaded, I searched manually the last chapter, on Nrsimha Tapini Upanishad for those verses 'cited' in the Panchadashi 9th Ch. since Swami Vidyaranya has focused on this Upanishad for his teaching of Nirguna Upasana.  No luck. Other chapters too have to be checked.  If only there was a method for searching digitally.....

regards
subbu

Sunder Hattangadi

Sep 8, 2020, 5:36:03 PM9/8/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com

sunil bhattacharjya

Sep 8, 2020, 10:38:59 PM9/8/20
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Dear Aravinda Raoji,

One of the original  mathas,  set up by Adi Shankaracharya was at the confluence of the rivers,Tunga and Bhadra in Kudali, about 10 KM away from  Shimoga town in Karnataka. After Vidyatirha Swamiji, and later on  Vidyaranya Swamiji, shifted from Kudali Shringeri  Math  to the then newly started Tunga-Shringeri Math, the old  Kudali-Shringeri math continued in the original place and they have the guru-parampara list from the time of Adi Shankar, just like the other Shankara mathas in the other parts of India.  I have seen one such guru-paramara-list of thet Kudali-Shringeri math, published from Tirupati in 1935. The Tunga Shringeri math never cared in the past to have the guruparampara list from the time of Adi Shankara in 509 BCE. At one time they claimed to have a guru parampara list  from the time of Adi Shankara in 44 BCE and in that they showed Shri Sireshvaracharya to have been the mathadhipati for an absurd duration of 700 years. HIstorically the administration in Tunge Shringeri appears to be quite weak, and they probably consider it below dignity to ask other people to help the math to sort out the issue. If this problem of ego, is taken care of, this guru-parampara-list can be taken care of, in a day. I sent some mails in the past to Tunga Shringeri, but I did not get a single reply.
This is just for the kind information and with a request to you and the other lke-minded scholars of this august forum, to consider if we can help the Shringeri math to uphold the truth that Adi Shakara was born in 509 BCE, in any possible way.

Regards,
Suni KB