Bhavarupa and Orders of Reality

S Venkatraman

Dec 23, 2022, 2:02:27 PM12/23/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

From all the discussions going on in this forum, I am quite confused about the meaning of the term bhavarupa and hence am seeking clarity.

It is said that avidya is bhavarupa i.e. something that is existentent because otherwise jnana cannot remove it. My question is - by existence what is meant - conceptual existence or physical existence?

The second question on which I am seeking clarity is on orders of reality. It seems to me that whenever there is adhyasa, the substratum and the superimposition belong to two different orders of reality. If this is not so, subsequent sublation is impossible.

Example 1 - World is superimposed on Brahman due to avidya. World belongs to Vyaavahaarika satta and Brahman to Paaramaarthika satta.

Example 2 - Snake is superimposed on Rope due to bad light. Snake belongs to Praatibhaasika satta and rope to Vyaavahaarika satta.

Is my understanding right?

Thank you and regards,
Venkat

Sent from my iPhone

On 23-Dec-2022, at 10:30 PM, Jaishankar Narayanan <jai...@gmail.com> wrote:

Namaste,

According to Bhaskar ji avidyA-kalpita (atyanta asat jnAna-abhAva-kalpita) mAyA is vyAvahArika satya and it is ‘existing thing’ like water!! and it is anirvachaneeya.

Really great logic!

with love and prayers,
Jaishankar

H S Chandramouli

Dec 24, 2022, 3:41:56 AM12/24/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com, S Venkatraman, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta

Namaste.

Reg  <<  It is said that avidya is bhavarupa i.e. something that is existentent because otherwise jnana cannot remove it. My question is - by existence what is meant - conceptual existence or physical existence? >>,

 avidyA as bhAvarUpa involves both *conceptual* meaning jnAna , as well as *physical* meaning *vastu* or *object*. Technically it is termed involving both अर्थाध्यास (arthAdhyAsa)  and ज्ञानाध्यास (j~nAnAdhyAsa).

Conceptual  alone would mean something relating to jnAna ONLY. Nothing  *physical* associated with it. That makes avidyA  *abhAvarUpa*. Only  ज्ञानाध्यास (j~nAnAdhyAsa), but no अर्थाध्यास (arthAdhyAsa).

Reg  << The second question on which I am seeking clarity is on orders of reality. It seems to me that whenever there is adhyasa, the substratum and the superimposition belong to two different orders of reality. If this is not so, subsequent sublation is impossible  >>,

AdhyAsa always involves different Orders of Reality. There are  different  types of AdhyAsa. They are categorized also in different ways.

One way of categorization is  स्वरूपाध्यास (svarUpAdhyAsa) and संसर्गाध्यास (saMsargAdhyAsa).

In स्वरूपाध्यास (svarUpAdhyAsa) the entities involved are themselves considered to be of  different Orders of Reality. Superimposition of Rope-Snake on Rope,Creation on Brahman are examples of  स्वरूपाध्यास (svarUpAdhyAsa). Rope-Snake and  Creation belong to different Orders of Reality  with respect to Rope and Brahman respectively, and are  considered  अध्यास  by their  very nature (स्वरूप  svarUpa).

In संसर्गाध्यास (saMsargAdhyAsa)  on the other hand, the entities are considered as of the same Order of Reality, but their relationship or association   is  of a different Order of Reality and considered as अध्यास (adhyAsa). Their relationship  or association  can neither be declared  related or nonrelated  अनिर्वचनीय (anirvachanIya). Examples are mirror and reflection there in, clear crystal and  its coloration due to a nearby flower. In this case, mirror/reflection as well as crystal/coloration are of one Order  of Reality,  while their relationship or association is another Order of Reality.

Another way of categorization is निरुपाधिक अध्यास (nirupAdhika adhyAsa) and  सोपाधिक अध्यास (sopAdhika adhyAsa).  They could be considered as broadly corresponding to  स्वरूपाध्यास (svarUpAdhyAsa) and संसर्गाध्यास (saMsargAdhyAsa) respectively.

My understanding.

Regards

Chandramouli

V Subrahmanian

Dec 24, 2022, 4:33:09 AM12/24/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com, S Venkatraman, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
Very nicely stated Chandramouli ji.  Thanks.

H S Chandramouli

Dec 24, 2022, 6:29:09 AM12/24/22
to A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, Advaitin, Sudhanshu Shekhar

Namaste Sudhanshu Ji,

Reg  <<  In sansarga-adhyAsa, can it not happen between objects of different order
of reality?
>>,

Yes. That is correct. It can and does indeed. Thanks for pointing out the error. Statement in my earlier post

<<  In संसर्गाध्यास (saMsargAdhyAsa)  on the other hand, the entities are considered as of the same Order of Reality, but their relationship or association   is  of a different Order of Reality and considered as अध्यास (adhyAsa). Their relationship  or association  can neither be declared  related or nonrelated  अनिर्वचनीय (anirvachanIya). Examples are mirror and reflection there in, clear crystal and  its coloration due to a nearby flower. In this case, mirror/reflection as well as crystal/coloration are of one Order  of Reality,  while their relationship or association is another Order of Reality. >>

Should have read

<<  In संसर्गाध्यास (saMsargAdhyAsa)  on the other hand, the entities are considered as established in their respective nature, but their  relationship or association or identification can neither be declared  related or nonrelated  अनिर्वचनीय (anirvachanIya). Examples are mirror and reflection there in, clear crystal and  its coloration due to a nearby flower. In this case, mirror/reflection as well as crystal/coloration are of one Order  of Reality,  while their relationship or association is another Order of Reality  >>.

AdhyAsa between Atman and anAtman is characterized as संसर्गाध्यास (saMsargAdhyAsa) and not स्वरूपाध्यास (svarUpAdhyAsa).

I may add here that there is a whole lot of different types of adhyAsA  listed in addition to what I have mentioned above. A very comprehensive review  of these is available in the commentary in hindi on the text विज्ञान नौक (vij~nAna nauka) of Sri Bhagavatpada by Bhagavan Pandit Sadhuvarya which is translated in kannada by Sri Mysore Shivananda Subrahmanya Shastri . The topic of adhyAsa is  very well presented. Link for the same

<<  https://www.scribd.com/document/485906961/Vijnananauka-of-Shankaracharya >>

I could not locate the link to the hindi version.

Regards

Chandramouli

On Sat, Dec 24, 2022 at 3:15 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l <adva...@lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
Hari Om Chandramouli ji.

In sansarga-adhyAsa, can it not happen between objects of different order
of reality? Brahman and world, there is sansarga-adhyAsa. Idam and Rajat,
there is sansarga-adhyAsa.

How do you state that sansarga-adhyAsa is between objects having same order
of reality.

Regards.

On Sat, 24 Dec, 2022, 2:12 pm H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l, <

S Venkatraman

Dec 24, 2022, 7:41:03 AM12/24/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta, Sudhanshu Shekhar
Thank you Chandramouliji.

Sent from my iPhone

Bhaskar YR

Dec 26, 2022, 2:33:14 AM12/26/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com, S Venkatraman, A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta

praNAms

Hare Krishna

If possible further elaboration requested with regard to arthAdhyAsa which has been explained as physical / vastu/object.

// quote //

avidyA as bhAvarUpa involves both *conceptual* meaning jnAna , as well as *physical* meaning *vastu* or *object*

Conceptual  alone would mean something relating to jnAna ONLY. Nothing  *physical* associated with it. That makes avidyA  *abhAvarUpa*

// unquote//

Not able to understand these two statements.  avidyA as bhAvarUpa has two meanings!!  But  in jnAnAdhyAsa it is  ‘abhAvarUpa’ !!??  where can I find the bhAshya reference for these two type of adhyAsa-s??

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!

Bhaskar YR

sunil bhattacharjya

Dec 26, 2022, 12:05:39 PM12/26/22
to adva...@googlegroups.com
That is why Lord Krishna calls it as good as not there, meaning that the existence is fleeting existence, like we spend a short time in a movie theater.

Sent from my iPhone