TSAN and ASAN cannot work on aarch64 server

Sheng Liu

Mar 25, 2020, 10:33:25 PM3/25/20
to address-sanitizer
Hi,

I am currently working on promoting Kudu running on aarch64/ARM64 server, I have tried to build and run tests of Kudu on ARM server according to the README of https://github.com/apache/kudu. After doing some modification in Kudu, I have sucessfully built the Kudu on ARM64 server, but when I try to build and run test cases of Kudu with TSAN or ASAN enabled. the building process can sucess, but all the test cases(TSAN or ASAN) running will raise following error:
root@kudu-asan2:/opt/kudu/build/asan# bin/kudu-ts-cli-test
AddressSanitizer:DEADLYSIGNAL
==14360==ERROR: AddressSanitizer: SEGV on unknown address 0x000000000000 (pc 0x000000000000 bp 0xffffdfed61b0 sp 0xffffdfed61b0 T0)
==14360==Hint: pc points to the zero page.
==14360==The signal is caused by a READ memory access.
==14360==Hint: address points to the zero page.

AddressSanitizer can not provide additional info.
SUMMARY: AddressSanitizer: SEGV (<unknown module>)
==14360==ABORTING

I am using Ubuntu18.04 on arm server:

root@kudu-asan2:/opt/kudu/build/asan# uname -a
Linux kudu-asan2 4.15.0-70-generic #79-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 12 10:36:10 UTC 2019 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

and with LLVM-9.0.0. I have struggled this problem for a while but no progress, could any help me give some suggestion ?
Thanks a lot!

Dan Liew

Mar 25, 2020, 11:57:43 PM3/25/20
to address-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

ASan's signal handler is catch SIGSEGV. It looks like your program is
trying to dereference a nullptr. Unfortunately ASan doesn't seem to be
able to produce a stacktrace in this case. I'd recommend running with
gdb or lldb attached and disabling ASan's signal handler (set
ASAN_OPTIONS=handle_segv=0 in your environment) so the debugger can
catch the SEGV so you can work out where the nullptr dereference is
happening.