Android context menu and lookups

Jed Copestone

Jul 7, 2022, 10:38:33 AM7/7/22
to aarddict
Hi,

In Android 10 I can do lookups by selecting text / longpressing for the context menu / selecting Aard 2. In Android 12 my only option is share / Aard 2.

I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to add Aard 2 to the context menu in Android 12 (One UI 4.1) so that I don't have to go via share?

2. Whichever method I use, I am taken to a specific dictionary entry rather than the list of results showing which dictionaries have hits. Is there any way to change this so that I am taken to the results page, as if I'd done a manual search?

Thanks

Igor Tkach

Jul 7, 2022, 6:32:43 PM7/7/22
to aarddict
On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 10:38 AM Jed Copestone <ga...@fastmail.net> wrote:
In Android 10 I can do lookups by selecting text / longpressing for the context menu / selecting Aard 2. In Android 12 my only option is share / Aard 2.

Are you sure? It's there for me on Android 12, same as before, but it is buried under ⋮ menu, and even there it may not be visible until you scroll the popup down.
The long press popup content depends on the words you select (a concept? geographical) and depending on that the overflow under varies in length,
and tailing items may be pushed out of visibility (Aard 2 is the last in the list for me). I don't think applications can influence their placing in the context menu.

I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to add Aard 2 to the context menu in Android 12 (One UI 4.1) so that I don't have to go via share?

2. Whichever method I use, I am taken to a specific dictionary entry rather than the list of results showing which dictionaries have hits. Is there any way to change this so that I am taken to the results page, as if I'd done a manual search?

Not in the current version, no. The view you get is not just a specific dictionary entry though, it's a list of results, matching what you would get in the lookup screen but with actual articles instead of just title and navigating to the next one with a swipe instead of scrolling. When you get a match for your lookup it typically saves a click. When you get no results for your lookup you just get a short toast message saying so, and perhaps there could be a better behavior in this case.

Why do you prefer to go to the lookup screen instead?

Thanks

Jed Copestone

Jul 8, 2022, 8:23:12 AM7/8/22
to aarddict
Thanks a lot for getting back to me.

I don't have the ⋮ on my context menu in Android 12, only copy, share and select all. I vaguely thought the ⋮ was a kind of overflow and wouldn't be shown if there was nothing to go in it.

I hadn't realized it was possible to get to the other hits via swipe. I see now they are shown on a bar along the top. That is probably a better solution than going to the lookup screen anyway.

Igor Tkach

Jul 8, 2022, 10:50:43 AM7/8/22
to aarddict
On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 8:23 AM Jed Copestone <ga...@fastmail.net> wrote:
I don't have the ⋮ on my context menu in Android 12, only copy, share and select all. I vaguely thought the ⋮ was a kind of overflow and wouldn't be shown if there was nothing to go in it.

Taking another look, I see that Aard 2 shows up in the context menu only for some applications, e.g. I see it in web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, DuckDuckGo), but not in email programs (GMail). Looks like Android 11 indeed made changes to how applications can interact, some details here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67660035/process-text-not-visible-in-text-selection-menu-in-most-apps-after-android-11 . My understanding is that it is up to the other applications to declare that they want to be able to query either Aard 2 specifically or any app that supports PROCESS_TEXT intent like so.