Bike Lights

Dan Driscoll

Sep 29, 2021, 12:04:33 PM9/29/21
to LSR Group, Randon, Michael Misner, Delwin Andrews
Fellow Randos,

Sad news, I hear that CYGO Lite is no longer making our beloved Expilion 850 lumen light, that many of us have relied upon for years.

A lights Run time is key, and replaceable batteries on the fly is pretty much a requirement.

I’ve done just a little bit of homework, and found Fenix to have options https://www.fenix-store.com/bikers-corner/

The BC30 V2.0 at 2200 possible lumens looks like a winner, for $89.95 with 20% off. It requires 2 batteries, but run time is up to 6 hours at 600 lumens. I find 600 lumens to be adequate for much of the night riding, and you’d have a lot more if you can spare the run time, for steep descents.

In addition you will need to buy batteries (I’d guess minimum of 4) and a charger, Fenix is out of stock on many of their 18650 batteries, but these can be bought anywhere, get as many mAh as possible. This is the same battery that we use in our scuba diving lights.

Fenix also makes a PD 35V3 single battery flashlight that could work for $97.31, but they are currently out of the ALB-10 bike mount for $16.95, that you would need to attach it to your handle bars.

What is cool about these lights as opposed to the CYGO lights is that the batteries are not proprietary and can be purchased anywhere, in addition the batteries can be charged without being in the light, but on a regular charger. In addition to that they sell a battery “3500-U” that has a charging port on the battery, so you could recharge that battery at an overnight control with just a USB cable, and not need the whole bulkier recharger, like when you are doing a self contained Super Six...

As a new customer you can get 20% off your first Fenix order, I’ve asked for a bigger Rando discount but not sure if that will happen.

That’s what I’ve found….. Would love to have some input from others about what else might be available.

Thanks, DanD

PatCH

Sep 30, 2021, 11:55:48 AM9/30/21
to Dan Driscoll, LSR Group, Randon
Dan-- check out Exposure Lights. A bunch of randos use them (seemingly mainly in the UK, as they're a UK brand), and I've been meaning to get one someday. You can mount them on the handlebar, or you can get one of their nifty mounts and put it upside-down under your Garmin (though you'd not be able to use your Garmin external battery at the same time). The runtimes appear pretty decent, the beam shape seems pretty good, and you can charge with an external battery pack or what have you.

Good luck with your search!

--Patrick.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 9:36 PM Peter Mathews <pmathe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Interesting note and comments here Dan, which I'd like to add to.

I've run a BC30 for several years. In fact I use it every time I ride my Baron. This is a really great light for my use. I especially like that it uses 18650 cells (and I already had a stock of these and chargers). It has a good flash mode which I use for daylight running. Mine has a remote switch which actuates a very bright high beam for as long as the switch is held down. It is excellent for emergency situations and especially great for high speed descents. I find the mount is good and it switched easily between the recumbent and my Specialized Diverge.

One negative I would not is that is is quite heavy. But solidly built.

For randonnees I use an IQ-X running off a SP dyno hub. For previous lights I made a couple of chargers which run off the dyno so I can charge the 18650s during daylight running if I need to. You can buy them from places like Fastech (https://www.fasttech.com/product/1137904-miller-ml-102-universal-usb-smart-charger-version).

Enjoy your riding. In Melbourne down under we are restricted to a 15km lockdown and an nighttime curfew at present.

PeterM

Peter Mathews
p: +61 (0) 43 999 2130

Dan Driscoll

Sep 30, 2021, 1:49:16 PM9/30/21
to PatCH, LSR Group, Randon
Thank you very much, my friend...

very interesting and different light, I’ve never seen, surfed for a while, but need to spend more time to see if the battery is just rechargeable or swappable, and dig down into run times.

Who could have know picking a new light would be so intense ;=)

DanD

Pam Wright

Sep 30, 2021, 2:25:43 PM9/30/21
to Dan Driscoll, LSR Group, Randon
Loving this dialog - thanks to you all for chiming in, which I soak it all up!

Pam Wright

Nelson Ralls

Sep 30, 2021, 2:42:15 PM9/30/21
to Pam Wright, Dan Driscoll, LSR Group, Randon
I've had good luck with the fenix  BC30 V2.0 mentioned by Dan, although mostly just a commuter these days.

Nelson.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Lone * Star * Randonneurs" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Talk2LSR/1364364859.704563.1633026339629%40mail.yahoo.com.

Richard Stum ~ eoGEAR

Oct 4, 2021, 8:27:17 PM10/4/21
to Dan Driscoll, LSR Group, Randon
Dan and others,

I agree that for rando use one wants a light that has interchangeable batteries, so you don't have to carry 2 or 3 separate light units.

Lumen output is a good starting point, but it is not everything. As a photographer, I have tested some of the earlier Fenix bike light models. I test the light that is hitting the road, measured as an EV reading (or LUX), using a digital incident light meter. I found that the many bike lights have a very broad beam, which is great for mountain biking, but it is a waste of energy for roadie use. Instead, most roadies need a slightly narrower beam that is more powerful. That is due the higher speeds experienced on the road, compared to the trail.

Consequently, after testing several Fenix hand-held flash lights and bike lights I decided on the UC30 which puts out up to 1000 lumens. It is a very directional light but lets me see further down the road than many others I have owned or tested. To disperse the light a little to the sides, I attached a small piece of frosted photo gel to the top 3 or 4mm of the lens. And yes, it uses the non-proprietary 18650 batteries. I use the Fenix handlebar mount.

Speaking of lights, check out my blog page on why riding at night is sometimes safer than during the day.

Cheers,
Richard Stum
Living in the Mountains of Central Utah
Rap Sheet: Salt Lake Randonneurs RBA | Rando Richard—Blog | Strava | eoGEAR—Cycling Bags |