TMT: Sat 23 October 2021 Front Face 6.30am

1 view

Allison Lamb

Oct 17, 2021, 7:02:51 AM10/17/21
to 'Samantha Brinkmann' via Table Mountain Trailers

Hi Trailers!

This Saturday we return to Table Mountain Front Face.

Rendezvous and start time **NOTE NEW START TIME**
Meet at 6:25 am at Kloof Nek top parking above MyCiti parking. We start running at 6:30 am.

How to get there?
Drive up Kloof Nek Rd to the top and follow the signs to the Cable Station. After turning left onto Tafelberg Rd you will see a parking area on your left, it has two levels, turn left into the upper level.

Route
A straightforward out and back run along the scenic trail across the North Face of Table Mountain to Oppelskop and return.

Terrain and distance

Singletrack, technical, 'undulating'. 10-14 km's depending on whether you turn around at Platties (7km return) or go to Oppelskop and return. 2h30ish.

Terrain and distance
A good fairly steep climb up to the upper contour path below Kloof Corner ridge then along the undulating single mountain contour trail which runs across the North face overlooking the City.
Once upon the contour path, there are a few modest gradients and most of it is along single gravel and rocky trail with occasional precipitous short stretches but the route is easy to follow. We will take the path up to saddle rock. Distance is about 10-14 km's taking more or less about 2hrs 30m.

Groups
This is a pack run with regular regroups, depending on numbers – we will split into speed groups with leaders and sweeps on the morning.

Dogs

Please note that  K-Way VOB club rules do not permit dogs on our runs.

What to bring

Water, whistle, warm/windproof top, rain jacket - weather dependent, space blanket, ICE ID - either on your phone, bracelet/tag, card in your backpack.

At this time of year, the weather can change fast. Please make sure that you are carrying the right equipment, enough food and water.

Power walkers: I will be walking with the power walkers to Platties and back.

ImportantPlease remember to look behind you at every turn in the route to make sure the people behind you see which way you are going.
Leaders of each group will ensure that no one is left behind. Please keep the groups together and ensure that no one is left on their own.

Please remember to adhere to the COVID rules below:

  • No gathering in a big group at the start or end of the run.
  • All runners to carry a mask or buff.
  • Practise social distancing.
  • We will break into small groups as per regulations while we run.
  • No personal sign in – ensure the leader ticks you in/out. Please carry emergency contact numbers in your bag or on your wrist/shoe.
  • We will monitor the groups weekly for size.
  • VOB reserves the right to stop TMT if the COVID infections increase again in the Western Cape.
  • If you have any symptoms or have been in contact with anyone with symptoms, please stay at home.

Warning:  Trail running is inherently more dangerous than road running.  It may take place over uneven hazard strewn trails in exposed and often remote terrain where help is not always readily available.

Participation is voluntary and entirely at your own risk as although the organizers take reasonable precautions to ensure runner safety, it cannot be guaranteed.  To this end neither the Club nor the organisers personally can be held liable for any claims relating to inter alia, injuries, disabilities and death. Further any minor child participating in any trail running activity will be deemed to be doing so with the consent of his or her guardian.

By starting out on a trail run you explicitly acknowledge that:
1] you understand the associated risks involved and accept full responsibility for your own safety.
2] you are medically and physically fit to participate and
3] are carrying the necessary water, clothing and safety equipment required for the particular run.

See you there!

Allison Lamb

Cell: 083 983 7152