Sat 8 Aug: East Fort Hout Bay

Allison Lamb

Aug 2, 2015, 3:34:58 PM8/2/15
to TMTra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trailers
This coming Saturday we are on a route we haven’t run in a while – Hout Bay beach/East Fort/Blackburn contour/Chapmans.

Rendezvous and Start Time
RV in the beach parking lot at the bottom of Chapman's Peak Drive in Hout Bay, outside Vida e Caffe, ready to start at 07h30.

Route
From the beach parking area we run up Chapman’s Peak Drive to East Fort then we go off-road and take the gravel track for a steady climb across to Blackburn Ravine followed by a single track scenic traverse along the escarpment overlooking Hout Bay to Lower Chapman’s Peak. Return by the climb down to Chapman’s Peak Drive and a jog back to the start.

Terrain and Distance
The start is along the tarred road for about a kilometer, then we turn off to the left and head up to East Fort. Then mostly single mountainside trail before returning down Chapman’s Peak Drive. Some good climbs off set by spectacular views of Hout Bay harbour and the Sentinel.
Details here:
http://vobtrailwrg.blogspot.com/2012/11/feedback-saturday-10-november-east-fort.html <http://vobtrailwrg.blogspot.com/2012/11/feedback-saturday-10-november-east-fort.html>
Altogether about 12kms, a good 380m of ascent, which should take more or less 2 hours 15 minutes.

Recovery Group and Run/Walk Group
To be confirmed.

Dogs
Please note that K-Way VOB club rules do not permit dogs on our runs.

What to bring
Water, whistle, warm/windproof top depending on weather.

See you there!
Allison
0839837152

K-Way VOB's Medium Distance Trail Group
Website: http://www.acsisvob.co.za/ <http://www.acsisvob.co.za/>
Blog: http://vobtrailwrg.blogspot.com/ <http://vobtrailwrg.blogspot.com/>
Warning:  Trail running is inherently more dangerous than road running.  It takes place over uneven hazard strewn trails in exposed and often remote terrain where help is not always readily available.
Participation is voluntary and entirely at your own risk as although the organizers take reasonable precautions to ensure runner safety, it cannot be guaranteed.  To this end neither the Club nor the organisers personally can be held liable for any claims relating to inter alia, injuries, disabilities and death. Further any minor child participating in any trail running activity will be deemed to be doing so with the consent of his or her guardian.
By starting out on a trail run you explicitly acknowledge that: 1] you understand the associated risks involved and accept full responsibility for your own safety. 2] you are medically and physically fit to participate and 3] are carrying the necessary water, clothing and safety equipment required for the particular run.

image.jpg

Gaeleen and Julian Tompkins

Aug 1, 2022, 4:00:05 AM8/1/22
to Table Mountain Trailers

Hi Trailers

This coming Saturday we are on a route we haven’t run in a while – Hout Bay beach/East Fort/Blackburn contour/Chapmans.

Rendezvous and Start Time

RV in the beach parking lot at the bottom of Chapman's Peak Drive in Hout Bay, outside The Beach Cafe, ready to start at 07h30.

Route
A few different options – which can be decided on the day by the leader of the group.  Some options are:

Option 1:  See attached PDF.   From the beach parking area we run up Chapman’s Peak Drive to East Fort then we go off-road and take the gravel track for a steady climb on the lower path across to Blackburn Ravine followed by a single track scenic traverse along the escarpment overlooking Hout Bay to Lower Chapman’s Peak.   From the saddle, we return by the climb down to Chapman’s Peak Drive and a jog back on the tar to the start.

Option 2: Do the higher single track and join the lower track and continue as Option 1

Option 3:  Do the run as an out an back option and miss the tar section

Added Bonus: - for those that need some extra  – ascend Chapmans peak from the saddle, tag the peak and return to join the rest back to the start

Terrain and Distance
The start is along the tarred road for about a kilometer, then we turn off to the left and head up to East Fort. Then mostly single mountainside trail before returning down Chapman’s Peak Drive. Some good climbs off set by spectacular views of Hout Bay harbour and the Sentinel.

Altogether about 12kms, a good 380m of ascent, which should take more or less 2 hours 15 minutes.

Walking Group
To be confirmed on Friday’s email

Dogs
Please note that K-Way VOB club rules do not permit dogs on our runs.

What to bring
Water, whistle, warm/windproof top depending on weather.

Have a good week.

Gaeleen  083 55 696 79

[...]

East Fort Hout Bay trail route.pdf

Gaeleen and Julian Tompkins

Aug 5, 2022, 4:06:49 AM8/5/22
to Table Mountain Trailers

Hi Trailers

Tomorrow’s run is ON

There will be no walking group.

See you in the morning, ready to start a 07h30

Gaeleen

0835569679

[...]

Aug 8, 2022, 12:43:50 AM8/8/22
to Table Mountain Trailers

Hi Trailers

This Saturday we are back in Newlands Forest.

Rendezvous and Start Time

Meet at the gate of the Newlands Forest Fire base / station.     Sign in at 7.20am and start at 7.30am

Route

We head off in the direction of Kirstenbosch and do a little loop in  paradise giving Lady Anne Barnard the impression that we are passing by her cottage. Continue pass intersection and head back onto the jeep track and proceed to the left in the direction of the first bicycle slip lane that leads towards Kirstenbosch. Where to now. We make our way up to the big rock and now we find ourselves on the contour path where we head in the direction of the dreaded Newlands Ravine. Do we go up the Ravine? No, we don't. Sense of smiles all around. We carry on in the direction of Kings blockhouse. Regrouping at the turnstile we turn our heads towards the blockhouse and acknowledge the King with a royal wave and proceed towards the tafelberg gravel road and dip down on the single track to the Queen and thereafter to the Prince before making our way back to Newlands forest parking.

Distance: 16.8km

Difficulty: intermediate

Elevation: 849m

Relaxed Group:  Confirmed, and a shorter route can be arranged

Walking Group
To be confirmed on Friday’s email

Dogs
Please note that K-Way VOB club rules do not permit dogs on our runs.

What to bring
Water, whistle, warm/windproof top depending on weather.

Have a good week.

Grant   083 354 6128

[...]

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-07 at 8.07.54 PM.jpeg

Gaeleen and Julian Tompkins

Aug 12, 2022, 4:00:16 AM8/12/22
to Table Mountain Trailers

Hi Trailers

Tomorrow’s run is ON.  It’s going to be cold and probably wet – it is Newlands after all.  Please come prepared

Rendezvous and Start Time

Meet at the gate of the Newlands Forest Fire base / station.     Sign in at 7.20am and start at 7.30am

Distance: 16.8km for the main group and a shorter option of 12.5 km as well

Difficulty: intermediate

Elevation: 849m

Relaxed Group:  Confirmed

Walking Group
There will be no official walking group

[...]

Dec 5, 2022, 12:02:20 AM12/5/22
to Table Mountain Trailers

Hi Trailers

This Saturday we find ourselves in the beautiful surroundings of cape point.

Route:

Starting from Buffels Bay Parking at 7.30am we run in an anticlockwise direction heading towards Cape Point Funicular, the shores of Dias Beach and looping back to the Parking at Buffels Bay.   There will be an option for a swim in the tidal pools afterwards too.

Distance: 15.8kms

Rendezvous and start time

The park opens at 7am. The queues can be long so please arrive early. It is about an 8km drive from the gate to Buffels Bay  so we will start running at 7h30 am. Park at Buffels Bay lower parking – NOT Buffelsfontein info centre

Groups:

The main group will do the full route.

The relaxed group may opt to do the Kanonkop route with same start point.

Walking group:  To be confirmed on Friday

Please remember your entrance fee:

R94  with SA ID

Wild card or MyGreenCard – recommended  see details on  https://www.sanparks.org/parks/table_mountain/tourism/access-cards-permits.php

What to bring

Water, whistle, a space blanket and your ICE information. It is nice to swim in the pool at Buffels Bay after the run so come prepared or even picnic if time is on your side.

Please check the weather before you set off from home and pack the appropriate waterproof/warm gear. Cape Point can be much windier and colder than the rest of Cape Town

Please note that TMT unfortunately does not allow dogs on its runs.

Please carry emergency contact numbers in your bag or on your wrist/shoe

Have a good week.

Grant   083 354 6128

[...]

.

image.jpg
e21c7ee2-6e71-409b-bcf9-9a7690ba9daf.JPG

Gaeleen and Julian Tompkins

Dec 9, 2022, 12:34:23 AM12/9/22
to Table Mountain Trailers

Hi Trailers

Tomorrow’s run is ON

There may be a sprinkling of rain and a fresh to strong south easter – please come prepared.

Walking group:  Confirmed – Route to be decided by group

Relaxed group:  Will be doing the Kanonkop route

See further details below

Route:

Starting from Buffels Bay Parking at 7.30am we run in an anticlockwise direction heading towards Cape Point Funicular, the shores of Dias Beach and looping back to the Parking at Buffels Bay.   There will be an option for a swim in the tidal pools afterwards too.

Distance: 15.8kms

Rendezvous and start time

The park opens at 7am. The queues can be long so please arrive early. It is about an 8km drive from the gate to Buffels Bay  so we will start running at 7h30 am. Park at Buffels Bay lower parking – NOT Buffelsfontein info centre

Groups:

The main group will do the full route.

The relaxed group may opt to do the Kanonkop route with same start point.

Walking group:  Confirmed