TABLE MOUNTAIN TRAILERS: Saturday 18 March : Kalk Bay to Silvermine East via Cave Peak

Gaeleen and Julian Tompkins

Mar 14, 2022, 1:51:01 AM3/14/22
to Table Mountain Trailers

Hi Trailers,

This Saturday 19th March we will head back into Silvermine but starting from Kalk Bay side.  Run, Swim, Coffee

We’ll park at Kalk Bay station and wind our way up to Silvermine, doing a clockwise, circular route.  Once back -  a swim at the Brass Bell Pools and then various options for coffee or breakfast.

Route
We start from Kalk Bay station and go up the steps to Boyes Drive. Instead of taking Weary Willie’s, we turn left along the road until the Trappieskop route. Just after the saddle we take a right on to the single track that takes us to Cave Peak. After some easy scrambling up we run through to the amphitheatre. From there we take the Crassula path and head along single and jeep tracks towards Muizenberg Peak. Those wanting to bag another of the 13 Peaks can trot up to the top. After the descent, there are many paths (jeep track and single track)  to get back to Weary Willie’s and back down to Kalk Bay.

Rendezvous and start time
Meet at
6:15am at Kalk Bay station (next to Cape to Cairo) ready to run at 6.30am.

Terrain and distance
Single track and jeep tracks. Uphill start and then undulating in Silvermine. Around 10 – 14km depending on the route chosen   See attached potential route for the Medium group – the longer route could include Muizenberg Peak.

Groups
This is a pack run with regular regroups, we will split into speed groups with leaders and sweeps on the morning.

There will be at least 2 groups, and we may split those too, deciding on the day.

Dogs
Please note that  K-Way VOB club rules do not permit dogs on our runs.

What to bring
Water, whistle, warm/windproof top depending on weather, space blanket, ICE ID - either on your phone, bracelet/tag, card in your backpack.  AND Swimming things, money for the car guard, money for coffee, breakfast etc – there are a few great options in Kalk Bay

Covid

You know the drill by now.  If not feeling well, stay at home.  Bring a mask or buff along

ImportantPlease remember to look behind you at every turn in the route to make sure the people behind you see which way you are going.
Leaders of each group will ensure that no-one is left behind. Please keep the groups together and ensure that no-one is left on their own.

Run Manager

Gaeleen Tompkins (083 55 696 79)

Warning:  Trail running is inherently more dangerous than road running.  It may take place over uneven hazard strewn trails in exposed and often remote terrain where help is not always readily available.

Participation is voluntary and entirely at your own risk as although the organizers take reasonable precautions to ensure runner safety, it cannot be guaranteed.  To this end neither the Club nor the organisers personally can be held liable for any claims relating to inter alia, injuries, disabilities and death. Further any minor child participating in any trail running activity will be deemed to be doing so with the consent of his or her guardian.

By starting out on a trail run you explicitly acknowledge that:
1] you understand the associated risks involved and accept full responsibility for your own safety.
2] you are medically and physically fit to participate and
3] are carrying the necessary water, clothing and safety equipment required for the particular run.

--

.

TMT Via Trappies.JPG

Gaeleen and Julian Tompkins

Mar 18, 2022, 1:30:08 AM3/18/22
to Table Mountain Trailers

Hi Trailers

Tomorrow’s run in ON  Expect a bit of wind, and hopefully we have a spectacular sunrise .

See details and route descriptions below

Geoff has offered to take people to explore Boomslang cave – if you are keen to join, please bring a headtorch.  Option of swimming at Brass Bell pool afterwards too

See you ready to start at 6.30 am

Have a great day

Gaeleen

0835569679