TABLE MOUNTAIN TRAILERS - Saturday 15th Feb 2020 - Up Woody Ravine - Tranquility - Down Corridor

Debbie Slabbert

Feb 10, 2020, 8:07:16 AM2/10/20
to tmtra...@googlegroups.com

Hi all Trailers!

This week we go back up on to Table Mountain from the pipetrack side but we will start from Theresa Ave in Camps Bay.

Route:

We start at Theresa Ave (see below for directions) and climb up to meet the pipetrack.  From here we turn right and run along the pipetrack to Woody Ravine. After a steep climb up Woody, we will head to Tranquility Cracks.  There are various options down, but the suggested route is down Corridoor.

Rendezvous:

We meet at Theresa Ave in Camps Bay at 6.30am.  Please arrive by 6.20am for sign-in and run briefing.

Terrain and distance:

This is mostly single track with a bit a of jeep track at the start and end. Some steepish climbs (😊) and descents, but well worth the views. The distance is 8km and there are ample routes for those who want extra distance.

Watch the Relive video of our route here:

https://www.relive.cc/view/vYvE9YGLwGv

Directions:

Coming from town, pass the turnoff to the cable car and continue down towards Camps Bay, taking the 3rd road to the left (Fiskaal Road). Follow this road up the hill - it becomes Francolin Ave and then Theresa Ave. Parking at the entrance is limited so park along the sea side of the road as far as possible taking care not to block any resident’ s driveways or entrances. Please ensure that your car is facing the correct direction.

Remember to bring:

Water, Whistle, Warm/windproof/rain top, ICE information and a snack.

This is a pack run so we are to look out for each other and ensure that the person behind knows we have turned.

We regroup frequently to ensure that everyone sticks together.

We will hopefully have three groups – fast, medium and a relaxed group.  This will be confirmed on Friday.

Unfortunately no dogs are allowed on our runs.

Look forward to seeing you all on Saturday.

For any queries, please whatsapp me.

Debbie

0845825822

*If you are new to this group, please read Table Mountain Trailers’ guidelines here: www.tablemountaintrailers.org.za

 K-Way VOB Trail Run Warning: Trail running is inherently more dangerous than road running. It may take place over uneven hazard strewn trails in exposed and often remote terrain where help is not always readily available.

Participation is voluntary and entirely at your own risk as although the organizers take reasonable precautions to ensure runner safety, it cannot be guaranteed. To this end neither the Club nor the organisers personally can be held liable for any claims relating to inter alia, injuries, disabilities and death. Further any minor child participating in any trail running activity will be deemed to be doing so with the consent of his or her guardian.

By starting out on a trail run you explicitly acknowledge that:

1] you understand the associated risks involved and accept full responsibility for your own safety.

2] you are medically and physically fit to participate and

3] are carrying the necessary water, clothing and safety equipment required for the particular run.

Debbie Slabbert

Feb 10, 2020, 8:10:58 AM2/10/20
[...]

Unfortunately no dogs allowed on our runs.

Debbie Slabbert

Feb 10, 2020, 9:38:02 AM2/10/20
[...]

We will have three groups – fast, medium and a relaxed group.  This will be confirmed on Friday.

[...]

Sep 12, 2022, 2:05:31 AM9/12/22
to tmtra...@googlegroups.com

Hi
 Trailers,

Next Saturday we will be venturing along a beautiful route starting from Simonstown. This is a point to point route, so there will be some car admin involved. The trail requires a permit from SanParks and permission from the landowner of the private reserve that the path crosses. This has been organised, and each group will need to carry a copy which I will supply at the start,  just in case there are rangers on the mountain.  SanParks would like us to report any sightings of klipspringers, ideally with photographs.

Route
We start from Jan Smuts Drive in Simonstown and climb up the jeep track which turns into a single track towards the Quarries. Just before the Quarries we take the path that turns to the left, and climb up towards Blockhouse Gap, passing ruins of a Blockhouse. At Blockhouse Gap we take the path to the left to climb to the top of Swart Kop. The path continues south towards Smitswinkel, along the top of the Swartkop mountains, and then descends towards the Smitswinkel tented camp and the road to Cape Point, near where the cars are parked at the end. For extra distance, there is the option to cross the main road and continue down to Smitswinkel Bay, with a climb back up to the car park. If the fast group needs a lot more distance, there is the option to run back to the start, either on the trail or on the t*r along the coast (approximately 19km if completing the full loop...). There will be around 739m ascent in total on the basic route.

Rendezvous and start time
Meet at
7.20 am at Jan Smuts Drive, Simonstown (near number 30) ready to start at 7.30am.

How to get there

Drive through the centre of Simonstown towards Cape Point. Just after Simons Town School on the right, and a convenience store on the left, turn right up Harrington Road. Continue to the T junction at the top and turn left into Jan Smuts drive. Continue along Jan Smuts and the start will be just after number 30 on the right. There should be parking along Jan Smuts, please be considerate when parking and do not block any residents access.

The car park at the end of the trail is at Smitswinkel Bay Corner (permit indicates max of 4 vehicles) This is approximately 12 min drive (9.3km) from the start.

Parking is not permitted at Smits Forestry station or Smits Camp, including driveways.

Terrain and distance
Starting on jeep track, then single track. Uphill start and then undulating with a steepish descent near the end. Around 9,5 - 11km depending on the route chosen.

Groups
This is a pack run with regular regroups, we will split into speed groups with leaders and sweeps on the morning.

There will be NO relaxed group on Saturday.

Dogs
Please note that K-Way VOB club rules do not permit dogs on our runs. The permit also indicates that dogs are not allowed on this trail.

What to bring
Water, whistle, warm/windproof top depending on weather, space blanket, ICE ID - either on your phone, bracelet/tag, card in your backpack.

ImportantPlease remember to look behind you at every turn in the route to make sure the people behind you see which way you are going.
Leaders of each group will ensure that no-one is left behind. Please keep the groups together and ensure that no-one is left on their own.

Hope to see you all there for a great morning out on some beautiful trail !

Debbie Slabbert

Run Organiser

[...]

an...@mweb.co.za

Sep 16, 2022, 2:31:30 AM9/16/22
to tmtra...@googlegroups.com

Good Morning Trailers

Our run tomorrow is ON

The weather reports are predicting much cloud cover, and the possibility of a little rain during the morning, so please bring appropriate clothing.

Just a reminder that there will be no relaxed group.

Having said that, there will be lots of regrouping, and stopping to admire the views, and definitely time spent taking photos!

Looking forward to seeing you at the start tomorrow morning at 7.20am.

Debbie

0845825822

an...@mweb.co.za

Jul 30, 2023, 3:00:16 PM7/30/23
to tmtra...@googlegroups.com

Hello Trailers

This week we go back up on to Table Mountain from the pipetrack side but we will start from Theresa Ave above Camps Bay.

Route:

We start at Theresa Ave (see below for directions) and climb up to meet the pipetrack.  From here we turn right and run along the pipetrack through Slanghole to the Oudekraal Ravine track. After a very steep climb up, we will head to Grootkop for some magnificent 360 degree views. There are various options down, but the suggested route is down Woody Ravine.

You can watch our route on the link below:

 https://www.plotaroute.com/route/2337183?units=km

Rendezvous:

We meet at Theresa Ave in Camps Bay at 7.20am for sign-in and run briefing.  We will start running at 7.30am.

Terrain and distance:

This is mostly single track with a bit a of jeep track at the start and end. Some steepish climbs (😊) and descents, but well worth the views. The distance is about 12km and there are ample routes for those who want extra distance, or for those who need to cut it short.

Directions:

Coming from town, pass the turnoff to the cable car and continue down towards Camps Bay, taking the 3rd road to the left (Fiskaal Road). Follow this road up the hill - keeping LEFT.  It becomes Francolin Ave and then Theresa Ave. Parking at the entrance is limited so park along the sea side of the road as far as possible taking care not to block any resident’ s driveways or entrances. Please ensure that your car is facing the correct direction.

Weather:

At this stage, Saturday’s weather looks very cool, with clear skies.  No rain forecast.  But this is Cape Town and many things can change between now and the end of the week!  Hopefully the skies remain clear for the Grootkop views.

Remember to bring:

Water, Whistle, Warm/windproof/rain top, ICE information and a snack.

This is a pack run so we are to look out for each other and ensure that the person behind knows we have turned.

We regroup frequently to ensure that everyone sticks together.

We will hopefully have three groups – fast, medium and a relaxed group.  This will be confirmed on Friday.

Unfortunately VOB do not allow dogs to accompany us on our runs.

an...@mweb.co.za

Aug 4, 2023, 2:42:07 AM8/4/23
to tmtra...@googlegroups.com

Hi Trailers

Our run for tomorrow is ON.

It looks like a cloudy start “with brightening skies” and a NNW19/h wind.

As we say in Cape Town:  come prepared for anything 😊

There will be NO relaxed group starting from Theresa Avenue.  However, there is a relaxed group doing a different route in the Tokai area.  Please get in touch should we wish to know more.

Looking forward to seeing you at 7.20am.

Debbie

0845825822