Fwd: [sudans-john-ashworth] Kenya MPs propose sanctions

Elisabeth Janaina

Oct 14, 2016, 4:22:40 AM10/14/16
to southsudankob
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "John Ashworth" <ashwor...@gmail.com>
Date: 14 Oct 2016 09:10
Subject: [sudans-john-ashworth] Kenya MPs propose sanctions
To: "Group" <sudans-joh...@googlegroups.com>

1. Kenya MPs propose sanctions, asset freeze on S.Sudan leaders

Capital News

By LABAN WANAMBISI, NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 12 – Two parliamentary
committees want Kenya and the East Africa Community at large to
consider imposing sanctions on South Sudan’s leaders if they fail to
cooperate in a proposed unity government to end a bloody conflict.

Defence and Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Ndung’u Gethenji said
they will also be seeking to freeze the assets of leaders who have
been jostling for power in South Sudan and have enriched themselves,
associates, and their families while much of the public suffers on the
verge of famine through a savage civil war.

“We are looking at jointly bringing a Motion to the National Assembly
to ensure that sanctions are targeted against those who are
perpetuating war-like activities, genocide and killing and they may no
longer enjoy having their assets in our county, their children
studying in our schools in relative comfort in peace and security
while they continue to destroy the lives of their people back in their
own country. Kenya can no longer afford to have another failed state
on its border,” he said.

The MPs expressed worry towards the renewed fighting in South Sudan’s
capital Juba.

“The EAC must also stand up strong and say enough is enough and issue
a notice for termination of membership of South Sudan, we must also
look at sanctions targeted at those people who are involved in the
fighting, who are involved in the financing and many of those people
are living in Kenya, many of those people are living in Addis, many of
those people are living in Khartoum, and this must end immediately,”
Gethenji added.

National Security Committee Chairman Asman Kamama implored the warring
parties to resolve problems and difference using dialogue and not by
force of arms so that peace and stability can be regained.

“The situation is so bad that people have even problems getting food;
Kenyans have lost businesses in billions, our banks were burnt. We
want the region to advise Dr (Riek) Machar that the time for war is
not now. The time for peace is what we need to pursue to its logical
conclusion,” Kamama stated.

The renewed violence is fuelled by the rivalry between South Sudan
President, Salva Kiir and Vice-President Machar. It has so far claimed
over 300 lives.

Machar has since fled Juba and on Wednesday was reported to be on his
way to South Africa for medical check-ups.

https://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2016/10/kenya-mps-propose-sanctions-asset-freeze-s-sudan-leaders/

END1

2. Kenyan lawmakers considering sanctions on S. Sudan leaders

October 13, 2016 (JUBA) –Members of the Kenyan parliament are
considering a motion to sanction politicians “perpetrating” the
violence in war-torn South Sudan.

The chairman of Kenya’s security committee in Parliament, Asman Kamama
and his counterpart in the defence and foreign relations committee,
Ndugu’u Githinji both told in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi that the
motion would be considered next week.

“There are South Sudanese leaders who live and invest in Addis Ababa,
Nairobi, Khartoum and yet they are perpetrators of war in Juba, that
is why we want to bring a motion to impose sanction on such people to
ensure their assets are frozen,” said Githinji.

The world youngest nation descended into a conflict between forces
loyal to President Salva Kiir and his former deputy Riek Machar in
2013. A peace agreement signed in August 2015 is at a verge of
collapse after fighting resumed in July, forcing Machar to flee Juba,
months after formation of a transitional national unity ggovernment .

Machar was replaced by Taban Deng Gai, the opposition’s ex-chief
negotiator, in July.

The Machar-led faction met in Khartoum and resolved to implement the
peace accord using all means, including by armed resistance, raising
fears of a renewed civil war.

Kenya, which played a key role in negotiating the peace agreement and
a guarantor to the shaky implementation of the peace accord, says a
return to war should be avoided.

“The African Union, East Africa Community and the United Nations must
say enough is enough and put an end to this war in South Sudan,”
Kamama told Kenya’s Citizen TV.

Kamama said South Sudanese politicians should not be allowed to fan
war in the region.

“We cannot allow people to stage wars from the peace and comfort of
hotels in Nairobi. The proposed sanctions will target property owned
by the perpetrators including barring their children from attending
costly schools in the country,” he said.

South Sudanese politicians have assets in neighboring countries where
their family members continue to lead lavish lives despite the
economic crisis sparked by the two years conflict. At least one
million South Sudanese have been displaced as refugees to neighboring
countries and millions others are facing acute food shortage in the
country

Kenyan MP Gethenji said Presient Salva and SPLM in Opposition leader
Machar must restrained from continuing the path of violence.

“We warn Mr Machar and his top generals that they will face tough
sanctions when the two committees table a motion in Parliament and we
urge him to pursue diplomatic channels,” said Gethenji.

It is not clear how the move by Kenyan parliamentaries will help ease
fighting in South Sudan. The international community, led by the
United States, have urged South Sudan neighbours to act on the
intransigent rival political leaders by targeting their assets.

Both President Kiir and Machar were named by the United States-based
advocacy group, the Sentry, to have mansions in Nairobi.

(ST) http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article60524

END2
______________________
John Ashworth

ashwor...@gmail.com

+254 725 926 297 (Kenya mobile)
+211 919 695 362 (South Sudan mobile)
+44 787 976 8030 (UK mobile)
+88 216 4334 0735 (Thuraya satphone)
Skype: jashworth1

PO Box 52002 - 00200, Nairobi, Kenya

This is a personal e-mail address and the contents do not necessarily
reflect the views of any organisation

The content of this message does not necessarily reflect John Ashworth's views. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, John Ashworth is not the author of the content and the source is always cited.