Gogrial elders recommit to ending inter-communal violence

Elisabeth Janaina

Aug 9, 2017, 10:19:03 AM8/9/17
to southsudankob

Gogrial elders recommit to ending inter-communal violence

File photo: Gogrial governor Gregory Deng Kuac

A one-day peace conference that brought together elders, youths and women groups of Gogrial state on Sunday, ended with a recommitment to end fighting and reconcile the deeply divided and feuding Apuk and Aguok communities.

Paramount Chief Nyal Chan Nyal told Radio Tamazuj on Monday that the one-day conference was attended by all constitutional post holders from Gogrial state at the national government.

Nyal said after a meeting in Yei last week, the elders resolved to end the fighting between the two communities and deploy security forces at border points to prevent any escalation of violence.

“The third item is the formation of peace committee to disseminate messages of peace, reconciliation, unity and forgiveness.  The fourth item is conducting disarmament, the fifth is forming boundary committee to identify and delineate and the sixth item is to identify the ring leaders, establish the court for trial and determine the mechanism of compensation,” Nyal said.

For his part, Gogrial State Governor Gregory Deng Kuac called for peace between the two communities. He said, “Instead of unnecessary criticism, let us unite and give the necessary support and guidance to the leadership of Gogrial State at various levels to rescue our communities in difficulties.”

He called on parents and elders in the state to take the responsibility of preaching peace and unity to the younger generations. “We should keep telling our youths to choose bright future and avoid interrupting other people who are moving toward the process of bright future,” he said