Displaced women tell of latest rape

Elisabeth Janaina

Sep 22, 2016, 9:10:33 AM9/22/16
to southsudankob

Displaced women tell of latest rape

Emmanuel Akile | | 12:52 pm
UN Jebel camp, which is hosting thousands of displaced people, mostly women and children
UN Jebel camp, which is hosting thousands of displaced people, mostly women and children

Some women at the UNMISS camp in Jebel Kujur in Juba say they were raped by some soldiers in military uniforms over the weekend.

The women say they were coming from the market on Friday when some men in uniform offered to drop them to Checkpoint.

But on the way, they say they were taken to a nearby bush and raped.  A youth leader in the UN camp was the first to speak out on this incident.

One of the women who were raped told Eye Radio that they were 25. They say each was raped by a different soldier.

“On Friday went to Custom and Kony-konyo market to bring some food items. On our way back we were told that there was fighting at Check-point,” the unnamed rape victim narrated their ordeals to Eye radio.

“We were on a Bonga bus, which was ordered to turn back. We stopped at Eye Radio junction. They told us to foot [it to the POC].

“On our way, they said they would drop us to Checkpoint. But unfortunately they took us somewhere else, in the bush; then every one of them took one of us.

“They raped us; and we slept there under the trees. In the morning of Saturday, they dropped us to Checkpoint and we [entered] the UNMISS camp. They were in military uniform.”

When contacted, the spokesperson of the SPLA, Brigadier Lul Ruai, said he had no information on the matter.

“I’ve no information, sir; and I’m yet to find out,” Brig Ruai told Eye Radio. “I’ve no information. I’ve to find out from our authorities at Checkpoint.”

The youth leader at the UNMISS camp said such incidents happen many times to women who reside inside the camp. Rape is a criminal offense and is punishable under the South Sudanese laws.