Why Nhial Bol quit politics

Elisabeth Janaina

Sep 21, 2016, 9:27:50 AM9/21/16
to southsudankob

Why Nhial Bol quit politics

Obaj Shago | | 1:08 pm
Nhial Bol (The Niles photo)

The Former Chairman of Sawa-Sawa political party and former editor of the Citizen Newspaper, Nhial Bol Aken, has left the SPLM in Opposition.

Mr. Nhial is veteran journalist and was the chairman of the Sawa-Sawa party, which he formed after abandoning his career in Journalism.

In February this year, he joined the SPLM- IO, saying he hoped he would contribute to change under the IO.

But he now says the leadership of IO is not serious with reforms in the peace agreement.

“For the last 7 months I have been in IO, trying observe the provisions of the reforms which they have proposed in the compromise agreement, I found that the pervious and the current leadership of the IO are not serious about reforms,” Mr Bol told Eye Radio.

“I didn’t go there because of position or anything; I went there with the hope that will change this country but it never worked. So wherever you don’t see yourself, you’ve to leave.”

He said he’s going to live a “private life”.  The SPLM-IO in Juba is yet to comment.