Gen. Malong “not under house arrest” -Ateny

Elisabeth Janaina

Aug 6, 2017, 8:59:16 AM8/6/17
to southsudankob
Gen. Malong “not under house arrest” -Ateny
Daniel Danis | August 6, 2017 | 10:19 am
Kiir meeting Malong after the latter was persuaded to return to Juba
from Yirol. PHOTO//Maal Maker, OoP

The Press Secretary in the Office of the President, Ateny Awek Ateny
has dismissed an online petitioned filed by the wife of General Paul
Malong over circumstances surrounding her husband’s “stay” in Juba.

Lucy Ayak, who is based in Nairobi, Kenya, wrote an open letter to
President Salva Kiir, pleading for General Malong to be allowed to
travel outside the country on medical grounds.

In the petition posted on Change.org, Ayak described her husband’s
health as “worrying for the family” and urges the President to permit
General Malong to leave Juba.

Mrs. Malong said her husband has not been allowed to travel since his
return to Juba in May, after friends persuaded him in Yirol to
postponed his planned trip to Aweil.

“As I write this piece, Gen. Paul Malong remains under “un-pronounced”
house arrest, under unclear and unexplained circumstances…almost three
months later, he remains in custody, without any statement from your
office or any other government apparatus/agency. All communication
channels with you have been gradually curtailed,” said the petition.

Ayak further wrote that Gen. Malong’s condition needs regular check
ups, and that he currently requires one.

“I should bring to your attention the fact that my husband is not
currently in good health, as I am also sure that you well know. He has
been having routine checkups and treatment both in Juba and Nairobi
over the time he has been working under your command,” she added.

In response, the Press Secretary in the office of the President, Ateny
Wek said General Malong has not been forbidden from traveling or from
seeking medical assistance.

According to Ateny, General Paul Malong has not been placed under
house arrest or denied access to any doctor.

Ateny Wek spoke with Daniel Danis earlier today.

Lucy Ayak who wrote the petition says she is a Student of Masters in
Leadership and Governance from University of Nairobi, and a wife to
Gen. Paul Malong Awan, the former Chief of General Staff of the SPLA,
South Sudan.

“I am so surprise, when somebody who is not in Juba tries to put
things they she or he [has]. Gen. Paul Malong is not under arrest, he
is not. And he is not under any ban whatsoever. Gen. Malong is a free
man. In actual fact, Gen. Malong is not even complaining about going
outside the country. That lady maybe wanted to have international
attention,” Ateny said.

Mr. Ateny said he only saw the petition online, but has not received
it at the state house, J1.

However, Ateny said he has not seen Gen. Malong since he [Malong] met
Kiir after returning from Yirol.