JMEC organizes workshop on security modalities in Juba

Elisabeth Janaina

Sep 22, 2016, 9:15:31 AM9/22/16
to southsudankob

JMEC organizes workshop on security modalities in Juba

JUBA/NAIROBI (22 Sep.)

The Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC) on Wednesday launched a two-day workshop for stakeholders in last August’s peace deal to review security arrangements in Juba.

The oversight body says discussions will focus on the UN Security Council resolution on the deployment of a regional protection force in Juba.

Speaking during the opening sessions, John Luk Jok, South Sudan’s transport minister said that the people of South Sudan lost confident in their government, saying citizens are leaving the country due to due to insecurity.

 “There are still elements that are moving out there. We hope that the agreement on cantonment also includes them so that we don’t have anybody carrying guns and terrorizing our people,” said Luk.

For its part, the SPLM-IO faction led by Riek Machar accused the current government of trying to make use of the peace monitoring body in Juba to recruit soldiers for Taban Deng.

Manawa Peter Gatkuoth, spokesman of the SPLM-IO faction, told Radio Tamazuj that they are still calling for the deployment of regional troops in Juba.