South Sudan denies coup plot against President Kiir

Elisabeth Janaina

Oct 13, 2016, 1:38:58 AM10/13/16
to southsudankob
South Sudan denies coup plot against President Kiir

Article
Comments (4)

email Email
print Print
pdfSave
separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

October 12, 2016 (JUBA) - South Sudanese government has dismissed as
wild rumours reports that there was a conspiracy to take over power
from President Salva Kiir by a group comprising politicians, military
officers and tribal leaders in the capital, Juba.

JPEG - 31.9 kb
South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir attends the reopening of
parliamentary sessions in Juba, South Sudan on June 11, 2012. (Photo
Giulio Petrocco/AFP/GettyImages)

This comes after a wild rumour was successfully circulated in the
capital, Juba, and beyond for the past two days that President Kiir
was dying and that there was power struggle between politicians and
senior army commanders over who should succeed him if he died.

Information Minister Michael Makuei Lueth in response convened a news
conference on Wednesday at which denied the rumours that there was an
attempted coup being organized by former dissidents of Riek Machar,
politicians from the Equatoria region and members of ethnic Murle
tribe in Juba.

“All these are wild rumours which are usually created in order to
cause havoc and inculcate fear into the people in Juba, and people are
advised to leave Juba claiming that the situation will worsen in Juba
this time round,” Lueth told reporters at a news conference also
broadcast live by the state owned South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation
(SSBC).

“There is nothing like [that]. These are just creations of some people
to cause confusion,” he said.

Lueth, who speaks as the official government spokesperson asserted
that the situation was under control in Juba as well as the security
situation across the country. He advised people not to panic.

He also dismissed reports that there was an ongoing killing in the
capital in retaliation to the roadside ambushes in which passengers
predominantly members of the Dinka, from which president Kiir hails,
were targeted last week while traveling in a convoy of commercial
vehicles which he said were stopped at gunpoint by unknown gunmen.

The minister also dismissed the rumour circulating the death of
President Salva Kiir in Juba.

“Yesterday another mad person decided to put in the media that Salva
Kiir is dead, it was also another problem, and I have been receiving
calls all over the world that Salva Kiir is dead, and this is done
here, this is unfortunate,” he explained.

The minister threatened to cut off internet services across the
country, claiming that measures if taken, would not allow warmongers
to continue to circulate rumours in order to cause insecurity in the
country.

“Yesterday I was called and asked a clear question, is Salva Kiir dead
or alive, this was a direct question, and I said no, this is a mere
lie, there is nothing as such, Salva Kiir has not even been sick, he
was in the office since morning up to this afternoon, he left the
office at 4:30 pm, and at present he is in his house,” said Lueth,
without elaborating on the source of the news and who called him to
ask.

He continued that: “There is no killing of any body, and if there will
be any killing, it will be by law, when we apprehend those culprits,
we will take them to book, and they will answer.”

The source of the plot to remove from power president Salva Kiir and
his death remains unclear. Observers say there were circulations on
social media alleging the death of the president until his spokesman,
Ateny Wek Ateny, came out with a release claiming to refute the
allegation on the social media. He did not cite source of the
allegation.

Critics and political analysts are keen to stress that the story was
made by some government officials in order to deflect the public
outcry about the rising insecurity on major high ways compounded by
economic crisis.

“They make up their own stories and come out to deny them,” a
political analyst who did not want to be named, told Sudan Tribune on
Wednesday when asked to comment on the two allegations.

“I am surprised the minister of information came out to convene a
press conference when there was any allegation circulating anywhere
whatsoever. I checked major news sources and I failed to get [it].
What I got was what the presidential press secretary Ateny Wek Ateny
himself circulated in the press. He did not cite any source. He was
himself the source of the statement denying the allegations and no
more source of the allegation he was denying,” he challenged.

“Also the story of coup plot was another made story. The whole
intention is to deflect the attention of the public from demanding
protection from the government. They (government officials) feared
that if they do not come out with such scary story, the public may go
out to protest their ineptness in protecting the population,” he said.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following
rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their
Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on
the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to
express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your
comment as an article to com...@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

12 October 23:49, by Mr Point

This makes a change!
Salva Kiir has invented seven coups before when there wasn’t a
coup (I have previously listed them). Now he send his people out to
deny a coup was attempted. They are more experienced in pretending
there was a coup when there wasn’t.
Anyway it will lead to a crackdown on his imagined enemies.

repondre message
13 October 07:28, by Akuma

Mr. Pointless,

Please avail with those seven coups for the readers to
believed on your prove.

repondre message
13 October 01:02, by Dinka-Defender-General

Guys, just calm down because the general is in control of the
situation right now. Wait for further news. Thanks!

repondre message
13 October 03:24, by Equatoria1

The Wild Dogs, who were once best known for their ability &
willingness to plan and coordinate their ambush against their prey are
now about to tear themselves apart after the kill.
I say give me pop corns and turn the tv on!!!