President Kiir tells governors to control targeted killings

Elisabeth Janaina

Oct 19, 2016, 1:53:12 AM10/19/16
to southsudankob
President Kiir tells governors to control targeted killings

Article
Comments (19)

email Email
print Print
pdfSave
separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

October 18, 2016 (JUBA) - South Sudanese President, Salva Kiir, has
directed state governors to control revenge killings by those whose
family members have fallen victims of targeted killings, saying it was
time to reconcile and move away from act of anger and bitterness.

JPEG - 23.7 kb
President Salva Kiir addresses the nation at the South Sudan National
Parliament in Juba, November 18, 2015. (Photo Reuters/Jok Solomon)

The President was referring to the recent reported killings in
Equatoria region targeting members of the ethnic Dinka from where he
hails.

“I want the state governors, particularly from the states whose people
may have fallen victims of targeted killings to refrain from acts of
revenge against fellow citizens. It is not time to revenge,” said
President Kiir.

"The act of anger and bitterness will not take us anywhere. The people
who have been targeted should remain calm because this is not the
first time such thing have been done to them,” reminded president Kiir
in a meeting with some of the state governors at his residence in Juba
on Sunday.

The head of state specifically singled out targeted killings along
highways in Central and Eastern Equatoria states.

He said the ambushes on innocent civilians on Juba-Yei and Juba-Nimule
roads were the acts of enemies of peace who were seeking turmoil in
the country.

“I said last time when I toured some of the areas in Juba town that it
is not time for revenges, it is time for forgiveness, even if we get
those who killed people, we still forgive them because they don’t know
what they are doing,” he added.

The head of state also reiterated his earlier comments that the
allegations that he gave orders to the Army Chief of General Staff,
Paul Malong Awan, and other Dinka army generals to declare war against
Equatorian people for the recent targeted killings on the roads, was a
creation of people who would like to take advantage of the situation.

“That is not true. These rumours are created by enemies of peace.
There are people who want peace and there are people who want to cause
a situation so that they create fear and confusion for the people.
These are the people when traders in the market close down their shops
because of the confusion they are causing, they then take advantage
and go into people’s shops and take whatever is there,” he charged.

The situation, he said, cannot be allowed and the people responsible
will have to be identified and find a way to handle them.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following
rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their
Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on
the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to
express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your
comment as an article to com...@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

18 October 22:21, by Mr Point

The President is completely right to remind all that peace and
forgiveness are more important for national development than targeted
killing of civilian.

For the same reason it is important that those who are responsible
for targeted killing of civilians are held to account by a hybrid
court as provided in the Peace Agreement.

Why not?

repondre message
19 October 04:40, by Shadrack Nuer Machut

Pres. Kiir & his Eqauatorians must provide realistic & working
solutions to stop Equatorians fro their final decision of "kill any
Dinka." What do u expect from Dinka if Equatorians keep killing & govt
keeps saying forgive? Take care soon be’4 patience runs short!

repondre message
19 October 06:54, by Akuma

Mr.Point,

Now I can agree with you on your above statement.
We need move our country #Forward from target killing to
living in harmony and peace loving citizenship.

repondre message
18 October 22:24, by Akeen Mangarthon

I said last time when I toured some of the areas in Juba town that
it is not time for revenges, it is time for forgiveness, even if we
get those who killed people, we still forgive them because they don’t
know what they are doing,” he added.

So no rule of law? Is this jesus talking or President?

repondre message
18 October 22:54, by Lango2010

You are right to say so because you lost no one at the high
way robber and killing of one tribe ’Dinka or MTN’ this is not a
Church. tell Mr President that one time you leave the chair and the
Dinkas will do the same to any ruling tribe. you people mark that
well. if we don’t separate tribe from politic. soon genocide will take
place in this nation.

repondre message
18 October 23:00, by Lango2010

one may think i am citing the problem.but no, i have moved
many areas i saw how Dinkas are acting silently. Tit for Tat is
looming at the next door. these are their saying ’why are we
targeted?, what have we achieved after sacrificing our children? what
if other tribe will rule this country? ...’ so let be prepared for the
worst to come.

repondre message
19 October 06:46, by Equatoria1

Lango2010
Firstly, u need to change your name b’se that is not
MTN name. Secondly, I would like to remain u that genocide has already
been committed on 2013 when MTN killed thousands of Nuers in vain &
now same MTNs are killing Equatorians. Funny, MTNs are trying to play
VICTIM CARD while they’re the one killing & terrorising the rest of
South Sudanese using State own resources. Cowards walah!

repondre message
19 October 03:25, by Nyesi Ta

Jesus has come down in the form of Kiir for the second time.
But I’m afraid the Jieng Council of Elders (JCE) will squash the
spirit that is talking in Kiir, preaching forgiviness like the
Pharisees who held a council against Jesus and handed him to Pontius
Pilate for execution. I mean JCE is an equivalent or even worse than
the council of the Pharisees because they are destroying many lives.

repondre message
18 October 23:17, by The rock

where are Equatorian leaders, why are you covering them up in the
name of Presidency? you will also pay a prices too when this thing
catches fire all over Equatoria region. forgiveness my ass, nothing to
forgive and see what is going to happen to those Equatorian working in
Bhara El ghazel region, soon you gonna hear the news Mr. President and
you Equqtorian Allies....

repondre message
18 October 23:25, by marie

Yes, mr president tell this to the people who have been wiped out
from their villages in Morobo, Lainya, Pageri, Loa, Mugali, Kadeba,
Mundri, Malakal, Leer etc. Nobody wants bloodshed, but if my relatives
are all killed, I have nothing to lose when I kill the suspects. The
government uses the state apparatus but behind those apparatus is a
human face. Let him start with his security.

repondre message
18 October 23:28, by marie

Civilians become victims in convoys of the army. It is not only
Dinka killed on the road, but there are victims from other tribes
also. The only thing to stop the killing is the implementation of the
peace agreement. Dinka has gone over social media inciting the
continuation of the killing of other people that they started in 1983.
If we can not live as one people, we better divide this country.

repondre message
18 October 23:33, by marie

South Sudan is too big to manage, it is better to have three or
four countries. Equatoria with Fertid can form a country. Dinka and
Lou can have their country, Nuer, Shilluk, Murle and Anyuak can have
their own country. This is a feasible reality for our country from the
way the situation is descending into the abyss. We have never been one
people but only that we had one common enemy the arabs.

repondre message
18 October 23:59, by marie

Our hatred for the Arabs goes back to 6th century when the Nubian
Kingdom had to pay 360 slaves to the Arabs as appeasement token and
Southerners were the source, especially Dinka which made them to come
to South to hide among the other tribes who settled in the South prior
to the coming of Dinka and now they dare to call other tribes names
such as Ugandans, Congolese, Kenyans etc.

repondre message
19 October 00:02, by marie

The problem with those people who say Equatorians are from other
countries do not understand the history of Africa or their history.
How were the population in Africa living prior to the partition of the
Africa by the colonists and the scramble for Africa. A lot do not know
because they thought kraals is where live started and do not know
anything beyond their kraal and now claim to be civilized.

repondre message
19 October 00:45, by Equatoria1

This Kiir is hypocrite. He ordered Malong on Saturday to dispatch
his evil Anyoors to the areas of Juba-Nimule Rd, Yei and Morobo areas
to "clean up the resistance". These clean up is a shot to kill any
moving thing. They tried in Labonok on Monday but were resisted.
Yesterday they were rampaging in Yei-Lasu Rd. Whatever, Kiir is saying
is the opposite on the ground. He already ordered revenge!!!

repondre message
19 October 00:59, by Equatoria1

Kiir is really determine to end the generation that the fate
of this country lay on. Like yesterday, they send as young as 15-17yrs
young Dinka men (Mathiang Anyoor) to carry out these revenge killings
& its really petty to see them get killed like of yesterday!! South
Sudanese need to really wake up to their senses & realise that there
is no gov’nt but monster that is slowly swallowing the nation

repondre message
19 October 03:45, by Paul

Equatoria1,

So you were one of those who butchered the civilians along the
roads? Now that the war is brought to your hiding place your back hole
starts hurting. Your lucky you have kids (mathiang Angkor) facing you.
The adults have not joined in just yet.

repondre message
19 October 06:28, by Equatoria1

Paul/Malong
Your MTN adults have been eating the Oil & donors’ money to an
extend that their bellies become too fat to fight/run. Now they are
only relying on those kids (Anyoors) to protect them on their seats.
And FYI I am not complaining here but I was only countering the claim
that Kiir called for no revenge!! Otherwise,the Mighty IO forces are
happy to receive your pregnant MTN men too!!

repondre message
19 October 07:11, by Equatoria1

...just to update u Paul. Your Anyoors are on retreat in Muru
land, their nooses were bleed so bad in Upper Nile & as I write their
bodies are left eaten by vultures in Chukudum. Is that what u & your
Nya-Kiir fantasying on? You blocked minded really need to wake up &
start doing positive things to the people than terrorising them!
MTN’re not targeted, South Sudanese are just returning their favou