Honey production takes sting out of economic crisis in Yei

Elisabeth Janaina

Sep 20, 2016, 1:04:12 PM9/20/16
to southsudankob

Honey production takes sting out of economic crisis in Yei

YEI (20 Sep.)

The value of oil in South Sudan has diminished, but farmers are turning to another liquid substance for profit: honey.

Elizas Martu, a beekeeper in Tore county of Yei River State, says that he makes over $200 per jerrican of honey. He harvests the honey three times per year, earning him much more than other agricultural endeavours.

“Beekeeping is one of the simplest sources of investment and raising revenue than agriculture,” Martu told Radio Tamazuj. “I make more harvesting natural honey per every harvest season compared to agriculture," and added that the practice does not depend on climatic cycles.

The biggest challenge Martu faces includes a lack of roads, access to big markets, storage and insecurity. Recently, Yei has seen fighting between government and opposition forces.

Another beekeeper, Angelina Hawadia, says that selling honey has become her family's main source of economic livelihood.

“We call on partners more especially those supporting agriculture and forestry to also consider beekeeping as another source for economic sustainability,” Hawadia said