Who is behind the Yei-Juba and Nimule-Juba road attacks on innocent civilians?

Elisabeth Janaina

Oct 15, 2016, 1:54:54 AM10/15/16
to southsudankob
Who is behind the Yei-Juba and Nimule-Juba road attacks on innocent civilians?
Writers, Opinion Articles, Opinion Writers
1

2 Votes

By Dak Buoth, Nairobi, Kenya
dak-buoth1

Dak Buoth addressing media during a peaceful demonstration held in
front of South Sudan Embassy in Nairobi on 9th 7, 2016, at the wake of
renewed fighting at State-house, Juba South Sudan

October 13, 2016 (SSB) — I condemned with contempt it deserved, the
barbaric attack on innocent civilians at Yei-Juba road this week on
10th October 2016. The decease videos and the pictures circulating on
social media look very disturbing and sadistic in nature. It is
absolutely abnormal to take a video of someone slaughtering or
skinning an African person and post it for public viewing. I cried
that these irrational goons should end their act of hooliganism.

Compatriots, may your souls rest in eternal peace! Such heinous acts
should not be carried out on our land and against our very own people.
Let’s declare enough is enough. It seems our hearts have really gone
dark. With this kind of gruesome attack, it appears as if we have
become wild and less human. There are many reasons to believe that we
have gone crazy.

The sources I perused read that over 20-plus passengers were killed in
Yei-Juba road. That the attackers had first stop the Vehicle and
separated the passengers according to their ethnic background, thus,
it was alleged that only members of Dinka community were shot
indiscriminately; that victims comprise of children, women and the
Elderly. This callous act is uncalled for. The attackers should stop
this madness in its entirety. These killers should rethink and devised
a new style to advance what they are up to.

In Naath vernacular we say ‘ee kuir Bwai’ meaning an ‘act of
cowardice. In any event, when you’re arguing with coward person and he
sense what your intentions are, he will hit you hard and you will
never see the light again.

20 is not just a number. It’s because we are used to big numbers like
70, 000, 50,000 and 20,000 victims that is why President Salva Kiir
did not bother to declare a single day of national mourning. We have
no hope for the future. If we live in country administered by
visionary leaders who adhered to laws and order, these assailants
ought to be pursue, apprehended and taken behind bars to face the
wrath of law. But because we live in lawless state govern by the likes
of Salva Kiir, Wani and company; we shall ever be in for rude shocks.

Let me clear the air, i doubt whether the perpetrators are the
progressive forces who are seeking regime change, if so than it is
unfortunate, it will cause us dearly because two wrongs never make one
right. However, until contrary is proven otherwise, I suspect the
murderers to be the same known gatekeepers and mercenaries in Juba.
They might do it to divert attention from the real change on sight.

Pundits normally says, ‘what you see is not the thing, but what you
see behind the thing is the thing’’ In the last few days, I have been
grappling to weight the credibility of this disturbing information
with a view to find the truth. As I mentioned therein, the informants
who visited the scene of the crime told us that all casualties were
from Dinka ethnic group; evidently, I have seen many of my colleagues
on social media expressing their pain over the loss of their love ones
who perished in that incident. We share the pain, and we stand with
you in this difficult moment. Let us do something vital to avoid the
recurrent of such incident once and for all.

The question I was asking myself was: where are the survivors from
other ethnic groups who were spared or they were also kidnapped by the
attackers? If not, why can’t the media interviews them and tells us
the firsthand information as to what transpired in the vehicle?
Secondly, if indeed there are survivors who reached up to Juba, why is
the government preventing media from interviewing them, I believed the
reporters must have sought to record their side of stories on the
same.

However, since there are no credible witnesses who can verify the
alleged information, I think ordinary citizens like us can analyze it
independently based on our own understanding on those matters.

My stance is on two folds: the perpetrators can either be the
government forces or we can attribute this case to the infamous
unknown gun men that operate in and outside Juba environs. So far, the
opposition (SPLM-IO) did not claimed responsibility for what happened
in Yei-Juba and Nimule-Juba roads respectively. The statement
published this morning by SPLM-IO spokesperson Mabior Garang only
denied and dispel any rumors and suspicion linking SPLM-IO into the
Yei-Juba clash. Besides, the opposition forces are not known for
committing such atrocities before.

In view of the foregoing, I exonerate the opposition SPLM-IO in this
case. Nonetheless, I should also shed light and put into consideration
the comment made by SPLM-IO Youth Chairman, my good Friend Honorable
Mabior Riiny Lual with regard to Yei-Juba road incident. This is what
he posted on his Facebook page early this week, ‘‘If SPLM-IO Equatoria
branch capitalizes on killing civilians in retaliation to government
action, then SSPLM-IO is going to loss war. You cannot kill the same
people you are trying to liberate unless in crossfire.

This is contrary to the vision of the Movement I support and it will
damage the credibility of the Movement and its leadership. Equatorian
leaders should desist from these targeted killings otherwise it will
unleash a tit-for-tat revenge killing which is detrimental to our
collective existence as south Sudanese. Chairman of the Movement Dr.
Riek Machar should intervene and stop this act of terror’’

Mabior Riiny Lual’s post makes sense, however, I surprise because did
not find an iota of evident backing his argument. I look at it as
blanket blame. I did not take his view in high regard because his
comment lacks facts to prove his terror claims against the so-call
SPLM-IO Equatoria branch and its local leaders.

I presumed Hon. Mabior Riiny is SPLM-IO insider whom we should rely on
for credible information. I guessed he was moved by emotion and
bitterness because of the report alleging that the victims were of
certain ethnicity in south Sudan.

Arguably, chances are high that it is the government forces that have
killed our people on Yei-Juba road. Hence in my adjudication, they are
guilty as charge. According to the International rights agencies
reports, it’s always indicated that it is Salva Kiir forces that
normally killed civilians indiscriminately for the last four years.
You would recalled back in 2014, they castrated scores of Nuer boys in
Leer in Unity state, ordered the soldiers to rape Nuer Girls and Women
as form of payment in 2015; they have killed civilians in the UNIMISS
CAMP both in Bor town 2014, and in Malakal, Upper Nile State 2015.
Moreover, it is the government soldiers that have been committing
massacre in every Equatoria towns such as Wau, Keji Keji, Mundri and
in Torit et cetera.

Take note, since Salva Kiir Government has proved itself beyond
reasonable doubt to be devilish, autocratic, corrupt and ethnic based
regime, it can kill innocent Dinka wittingly so as to create a funny
story to continue blackmailing the ignoramus people of South Sudan. At
the moment, the government knows very well that it is heavily relying
on the Dinka population and other handful of political brokers from
other tribes. And with its treacherous and traitorous tactics, the
Government can try to manipulative and exploit to its advantage the
way Dinka are stereotyped through the so-called MTN.

As such, it can kill the Dinka Civilians and propagate that it is the
opposition forces that target Dinka, that they just don’t like Salva
Kiir presidency per se but hate every Dinka in South Sudan. They can
do this with an aim of injecting fear and scaring away Dinka
population from joining other nationals in the trenches. If it
succeeds in creating this perception, vast majority can decide to lean
on government so long it has fuel to balloon their stomachs.

Jah man, Rasta Mob Marley says in one of his roots song, ‘‘you can
deceive some people some time, but you cannot deceive all people all
the times’’ I’m sure our people won’t fall into such trapped. The bona
fide custodians of South Sudan independent are none other than the
Dinka and the likes, therefore Juba Regime will not succeed in it
plans to brainwash them.

The cliques in Juba are on a journey in futility. Soon the
revolutionary Dinka Majority will get out of their comforts and join
their sibling in their quest for a just, secular and democratic
society for all, and the current policy of ethnic exclusionism,
cronyism and patronage will be buried and never exhumed.

On the one hand, if you think the so-called unknown gun men are
separate from the President Forces, than let us consider them as prime
suspect in the Yei-Juba road. Over times, many deadly incidents have
attributed to unknown gun men in Juba include the state-house massacre
in July 2016 and no one has ever claim responsibility.

The writer lives in Kenya, he can be reach for comments via elig...@yahoo.com

The opinion expressed here is solely the view of the writer. The
veracity of any claim made are the responsibility of the author, not
PaanLuel Wël: South Sudanese Bloggers (SSB) website. If you want to
submit an opinion article or news analysis, please email it to
paanlu...@gmail.com. SSB do reserve the right to edit material
before publication. Please include your full name, email address and
the country you are writing.