ACTION: April 5th #oakmtg

Torrie Fischer

Mar 31, 2016, 10:52:10 AM3/31/16
to oakland, sfbarentersfed
Hi, oakland@ et al.

April 5th is coming up soon for #oakmtg.

There's a huge pile of things coming up that we need volunteers for.
I'm actually going to be out of town next week due to 3 month old plans
which is frustrating since I can't do much outside of
email/twitter/slack.

The big things at #oakmtg this week:

- A vote for a 90 day moratorium on evictions and rent increases,
including for rentals outside of rent control (mostly single family
homes)
- Declaration of a housing emergency
- An appeal against the demolition of Biff's Coffee Shop at 2630
broadway before building *255* units of housing
- A handful of loans for affordable housing projects

This meeting will be packed. The coalition responsible for much of the
noise around the E 12th St Peoples Proposal, who also shut down the
last council meeting, will be present to testify in favor of the
moratorium.

full agenda: https://oakland.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=A&ID=478342&GUID=
80ABC8C5-886C-4FBC-BC25-E2BA63A9AAE7

Since I'll be out of the country then, it'd be super neat if someone
could volunteer to help wrangle speakers in favor of these things with
prepared statements etc. Let me know if thats you <3
signature.asc

Sonja Trauss

Mar 31, 2016, 5:32:28 PM3/31/16
to Torrie Fischer, oakland, sfbarentersfed
April 5th is also an eminent domain item in Berkeley:

13.

Referral: Use of Eminent Domain on Vacant and Blighted Properties (Continued from March 15, 2016)

From: Councilmembers Capitelli, Moore, and Droste

Recommendation: Referral to the City Manager to report back to Council on the feasibility of using eminent domain on vacant and/or blighted properties (both residential and commercial properties, and on vacant lands). The report should identify the scope of public use, including but not limited to: the development of affordable housing, public open space, and/or providing city services for our homeless population.

Financial Implications: Staff time

Contact: Laurie Capitelli, Councilmember, District 5, 981-7150

http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Clerk/City_Council/2016/04_Apr/City_Council__04-05-2016_-_Meeting_Info.aspx

Demand: NO Exceptions, NO Developer Handouts, NO Corruption
Read: https://medium.com/@SFyimby/the-ballot-measure-25-below-market-rate-bdce45968804#.w2xql6ubx

Diego Aguilar-Canabal

Mar 31, 2016, 5:40:59 PM3/31/16
to Sonja Trauss, SFYIMBY: oakland, sfbarentersfed
There is a lot of concern that Mayor Bates' item might be shelved until a later meeting, since the agenda is packed and this is towards the end. However, there are enough important items that I do want people to attend. It's just going to suck to rally a bunch of people and then have the most important item not be heard. Thoughts?

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Sonja Trauss <sonja....@gmail.com> wrote:
April 5th is also an eminent domain item in Berkeley: 13. Referral: Use of Eminent Domain on Vacant and Blighted Properties (Continued from March 15, 2016) From: Councilmembers Capitelli

Sonja Trauss

Mar 31, 2016, 5:42:11 PM3/31/16
to Diego Aguilar-Canabal, SFYIMBY: oakland, sfbarentersfed
what other items are important?

Ian Monroe

Mar 31, 2016, 5:45:16 PM3/31/16
to Sonja Trauss, Diego Aguilar-Canabal, SFYIMBY: oakland, sfbarentersfed

Diego Aguilar-Canabal

Mar 31, 2016, 5:46:54 PM3/31/16
to Sonja Trauss, SFYIMBY: oakland, sfbarentersfed

11.

Workforce Housing Affordability Plan (Continued from March 8, 2016)

Sonja Trauss

Mar 31, 2016, 5:48:30 PM3/31/16
to Diego Aguilar-Canabal, SFYIMBY: oakland, sfbarentersfed
ok yeah so lets tell people to come for items 11 and 17a. it means any time someone is free is a good time for them to come.
Message has been deleted

Starchild

Mar 31, 2016, 6:46:45 PM3/31/16
to Sonja Trauss, Torrie Fischer, oakland, sfbarentersfed, ebl-d...@yahoogroups.com
That's certainly always important to oppose! Municipalities have plenty of unused and under-used parcels that are already publicly owned – they should focus on developing those parcels, not trying to seize private property non-consensually via eminent domain or blight ordinances. Lots of owners will voluntarily build housing on their lands if governments simply remove the obstacles to doing so.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

californiac...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2016, 9:02:46 PM3/31/16
to SFBA Renters Federation, oak...@sfyimby.threadable.com, sfbaren...@googlegroups.com
Dear People,
I've never posted here before--I live in Berkeley and I received the following newsletter regarding item 17a on the Berkeley City Council Agenda from my neighborhood email list-- and found it to be alarmist, inaccurate, xenophobic, and even unethical given our current housing crisis. Who is the "Berkeley Neighborhoods Council"? I thought Berkeley neighbors were progressive and welcoming. Yet this group is rallying to oppose the proposal for policies supporting more housing, policies we should have had in place 30 years ago.

From: <bn...@berkeleyneighborhoodscouncil.com
Date: March 29, 2016 at 4:19:26 PM PDT
To: "BNC 50" <bn...@berkeleyneighborhoodscouncil.com
Subject: [FWD: Mayor Bates proposal for fixing the housing crisis in Berkeley - Item 17a on April 5th Council Agenda]

Special Edition of the BNC eNEWS

A new development proposal is underway that will affect large numbers of homes and neighborhoods.   Since there seems to be no plan to notify anyone affected by this proposal, Berkeley Neighborhoods Council (BNC) is posting this Special Edition.  Our urgent request is you read this and then forward it to everyone on your personal and organization e-mail list.

What:    A proposal by Mayor Bates, "Addressing the Housing Emergency"  with 13 recommendations, among which include changing the zoning in and around residential areas, increasing height limits and eliminating giving nearby neighbors a chance to comment on proposed projects that could affect their everyday lives.

When:  This proposal is #17a on the agenda of the Council, Tuesday, April 5, 2016, 7:00 pm

Where:  School District Board Room, 1231 Addison Street (West Campus)

Since the length, over 70 pages, of the Bates proposal prohibits going into each of its recommendations here, we will mention only a few.  We urge everyone to read the full proposal which can be accessed by the following link:

1).   By-Right approval (no notice and no opportunity to comment by nearby neighbors) of new multi-family and mixed use developments in all City designated Priority Development Areas.  (PDAs are in the Downtown and Southside areas, and along both sides of San Pablo Avenue Albany to Oakland, University Avenue from the west side of MLK, Jr to Third, and South Shattuck and the Adeline Corridor.)  Higher buildings than currently allowed are encouraged.

  Developers would not get a "By-Right Approval" unless their project had "a minimum height equal to the maximum allowed under zoning" (which could be even higher with a Density Bonus-see below).  "By-Right buildings" will not be required to meet any more than the current lowest environmental standards, Gold LEED.

2).   Increase Developer Density Bonus to 50% from the current 35%.  To get the additional 15% bonus, the developer must provide an unspecified number of units affordable to people earning up 120% of area median income.  This does not help the vast majority of current tenants in Berkeley who earn 100% or lower of area median income.   This Bonus increases density for all new multi-family buildings throughout Berkeley, not just in PDA areas.

3).   Change Zoning from R2 and R2A to R3 in a full block or 200 feet behind commercial zoning on both sides of Telegraph from Dwight Way to Oakland, and along University and San Pablo Avenues.  Some examples of streets affected by this increase in zoning are: Hearst, Addison, 10th, Curtis, Mathews, Regent, Chilton, Florence, Halycon, and Dana.   Taken in combination with the Density Bonus increase this would result in 9 story buildings.

Mayor Bates is not proposing this change for Adeline and South Shattuck, but says the concept would be considered as part of the Adeline Corridor project. If applied in the South Shattuck, Adeline Corridor, this proposal would affect streets like Wheeler, Fulton, Harper and Ellis.

4).   Increase zoning designation to R4 in the Southside Area.  This Area is bounded by the west side of College, east side of Fulton, north side of Dwight Way and south side of Bancroft.  The result, combined with "By-right approval" and the proposed "Density Bonus" will be taller, larger, denser buildings under the stated purpose of providing housing for students.

5).   Reduce Fees on New Construction.   Mayor Bates wants staff to look at fees, which he suggests are too high, and to streamline the process of approving new market rate development so that fees for developments can be reduced.  Presumably the purpose of this recommendation is to encourage development.

This proposal by Mayor Bates is a blueprint for expanding the gentrification of Berkeley.  Although couched in terms of providing more affordable housing, and expressing concerns over the impacts of high rise buildings on nearby residential neighborhoods, in reality, it promotes lining the pockets of for-profit developers at the expense of nurturing a livable city. In BNC's view, new development must include three objectives:

1.    promoting strong neighborhoods that house an economically diverse population,

2.    preserving our City's historical resources, and

3.    achieving the highest environmental goals and healthy living standards.

This is Berkeley.  We can and must do better planning if we are to have a sustainable future.  Let's work together to find better solutions.

Send your comments by e-mail to bn...@berkeleyneighborhoodscouncil.com.  We will publish a follow up to this article in our next regular eNEWS.

You are subscribed to the "BNA-Bateman" group.

Visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/bna-bateman

Sonja Trauss

Mar 31, 2016, 9:08:04 PM3/31/16
to californiac...@gmail.com, SFBA Renters Federation, SFYIMBY: oakland
This is great, super helpful for understanding item 17. Ok good, I'm in. I'll be at Berkeley City Council on Tuesday :)

Torrie Fischer

Mar 31, 2016, 9:22:16 PM3/31/16
to californiac...@gmail.com, SFBA Renters Federation, oak...@sfyimby.threadable.com, sfbaren...@googlegroups.com
"This does not help the vast majority of current tenants in Berkeley who earn 100% or lower of area median income."

Math checks out on this one. 50% of people make less than the average.

This pattern can be seen outside of Berkeley AMI too. 50% of people are shorter than the average body height and 50% of people are older than average.

I think they're onto a deep conspiracy.

Alexander Berger

Mar 31, 2016, 9:25:18 PM3/31/16
to Torrie Fischer, californiac...@gmail.com, SFBA Renters Federation, SFYIMBY: oakland
Yeah, this is amazing. They might have something on "tenants" (as opposed to owners?) but not "vast majority."

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Torrie Fischer <tdfi...@hackerbots.net> wrote:
"This does not help the vast majority of current tenants in Berkeley who earn 100% or lower of area median income." Math checks out on this one. 50% of people make less than the average. This pa

Robert R. Tillman

Mar 31, 2016, 9:32:05 PM3/31/16
to Torrie Fischer, californiac...@gmail.com, SFBA Renters Federation, oak...@sfyimby.threadable.com
"Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."

Robert R. Tillman
RRT Partners LLC
14 Sunshine Ave.
Sausalito, CA 94965
415-332-9242 Telephone

Torrie Fischer

Apr 1, 2016, 1:27:14 AM4/1/16
to Ian Monroe, Sonja Trauss, Diego Aguilar-Canabal, SFYIMBY: oakland, sfbarentersfed
And the one Eric Panzer wrote as well:

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2016/03/31/op-ed-honor-berkeleys-history-bu
ild-more-housing/

Also hey if you live in berktown here's a petition from Livable
Berkeley to add your support to:

https://www.change.org/p/berkeley-city-council-end-berkeley-s-housing-c
runch

27 more to reach 200. Forward this around <3

> > --
> > Demand: NO Exceptions, NO Developer Handouts, NO Corruption
> > Read:
> > https://medium.com/@SFyimby/the-ballot-measure-25-below-market-rate
> > -bdce45968804#.w2xql6ubx
> >
> > --
> > This list too heavy for you? Join the ANNOUNCEMENTS ONLY list:
> > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sfbarentersfed-announce and
> > send an
> > email to SFBArentersfe...@googlegroups.com.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SFBArentersfed/CAEMAOD7yNvahYri7S
> > wCUdVs2e5m9AVSK6xnv18KRn_UonizU0Q%40mail.gmail.com
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SFBArentersfed/CAEMAOD7yNvahYri7
> > SwCUdVs2e5m9AVSK6xnv18KRn_UonizU0Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=emai
> > l&utm_source=footer>
> > .
signature.asc

Ian Monroe

Apr 1, 2016, 1:47:25 AM4/1/16
to Starchild, Sonja Trauss, Torrie Fischer, ebl-d...@yahoogroups.com, oakland, sfbarentersfed
Actually Berkeley really doesn't have much land. But certainly BART would build as soon as we upzoned so your point stands.

The blight language in particular is rooted in some ugly parts of history.

Alfred

Apr 1, 2016, 4:47:57 AM4/1/16
to Ian Monroe, Starchild, Sonja Trauss, Torrie Fischer, ebl-d...@yahoogroups.com, oakland, sfbarentersfed
Everything they fear is either not true, or sounds awesome.  As for the eminent domain item, Sonja describes it perfectly with "Show me a blighted lot, I'll show you a denied building application."  Hello 2631-37 Durant Ave, now vacant for almost 2 years.  There was a vacant house a block from where I live that was simply being renovated from a single 9-bedroom unit to three apartments with a net gain in the amount of living space, that also sat vacant for years to get approved.

Alfred

~~~  ~~~

Diego Aguilar-Canabal

Apr 1, 2016, 1:20:35 PM4/1/16
to Torrie Fischer, Ian Monroe, Sonja Trauss, SFYIMBY: oakland, sfbarentersfed
the Berkeley Progressive Alliance platform is also pretty helpful in understanding what fauxgressive NIMBYs want: http://berkeleyprogressivealliance.org/2016/02/26/affordable-housing-platform/

somewhere on a random comments section I saw someone saying "we have a plan to build at least 1000 or 1500 units"... LOL

Caroline Green

Apr 4, 2016, 5:42:53 PM4/4/16
to Sonja Trauss, SFBA Renters Federation, SFYIMBY: oakland
Thanks so much for your input and rebuttals. It's helped me with some tough but important conversations with my neighbors this week. However, the fear-mongering continues, see forwarded message below: Even though there are "only 20 letters in opposition", it is super important to continue to make the voice of the unhoused, displaced, priced-out, and otherwise non Nimby Berkeley homeowner population heard.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "'ami zins' via BNA-Bateman" <bna-b...@googlegroups.com>
Date: April 4, 2016 at 12:20:05 PM PDT
To: <bna-b...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [BNA-Bateman] Tues April 5 - Berkeley Rezoning Mtg. and ONLINE PETITION

Hi Neighbors,

This is urgent...please  consider signing and writing a letter, and signing the online petition below.  Even if this does not directly effect your neighborhood it does profoundly have the potential to alter Berkeley in negative ways and certainly goes against what many of your neighbors want in South, West and Central Berkeley.

Please sign this petition to the Berkeley City Council to "SUPPORT AFFORDABLE HOUSING NOT PLANNING GIMMICKS."

The plan to be discussed at Tuesday, April 5th council meeting has only received 20 letters in opposition so far. Perhaps you agree that Berkeley needs to build more lower income housing rather than luxury apartments. Perhaps you also would oppose with the Mayor's plan to muzzle the neighborhoods and eliminate the opportunity for us to give input on multi-family housing developments. I hope you will read the petition story and sign it.

https://www.change.org/p/council-ci-berkeley-ca-us-support-affordable-housing-not-planning-gimmicks?recruiter=519575633&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

And if you can, please get in touch directly with our Councilmemeber to express your feelings about this:

Lori Droste, Berkeley City Council District 8
2180 Milvia St.
Berkeley, CA 94704
510-981-7180
ldr...@cityofberkeley.info

Peace,
Ami

From: <bn...@berkeleyneighborhoodscouncil.com>
Date: March 29, 2016 at 4:19:26 PM PDT
To: "BNC 50" <bn...@berkeleyneighborhoodscouncil.com>

   http://records.cityofberkeley.info/Agenda/Documents/DownloadFile/4_5_2016%3b%20CLK%20-%20Report%20(Public)%3b%20MAYOR%3b%20%3b%20REGULAR%3b%20ADDRESSING%20THE%20HOUS.pdf?documentType=1&meetingId=178&itemId=1994&publishId=2575&isSection=False&isAttachment=True

[...]

DST

Apr 4, 2016, 6:48:02 PM4/4/16
to SFBA Renters Federation, oak...@sfyimby.threadable.com, sfbaren...@googlegroups.com
Hi Torrie et al,

Thank you for the email. Who is coming to advocate at this meeting tomorrow? The proposal is to institute rent control due to the housing emergency. It is at City Hall, 3rd Floor, and I estimate it will go on somewhere around 6-6:30P.

Ironically the 1st page of the report says that the moratorium is necessary due to the " housing shortage", yet doesn't present a long term solution.

Also, next next Tuesday the 19th, the CC will look to adopt an approximately $20,000 per housing unit impact fee that will be added to any new housing unit built in Oakland. It kills a lot of homes in the pipeline as many of the projects did not anticipate this expense. The speakers for this pack the house, but almost no one speaks against the proposal.

It would be good to get some people out for these.

Dates are:

Tuesday April 5
1 Frank Ogawa Plaza (12th street BART)
3rd Floor
Approximately 6-6:30P

Tuesday April 19
1 Frank Ogawa Plaza (12th street BART)
Time TBD

You can read agenda and report here:

Torrie Fischer

Apr 4, 2016, 7:41:51 PM4/4/16
to SFYIMBY: oakland, SFBA Renters Federation, DST
Oakland currently has rent control. I'm actually still kinda unclear on
what exactly this vote will do, since the ordinance's wording says the
following:

"no housing provider shall (a) serve or give of a rent increase that,
on a cumulative basis over the 12 months preceding the effective date
of proposed regulation, is greater than that which is allowed by
existing local and state rental ordinances"

Which I'm reading as "make rent increases that are already illegal
under rent control illegal". It even explicitly quotes bits of costa
-hawkins to say not applicable to buildings after 1995, no single
family homes, etc.

I'm pretty sure this thing is just a way to make noise and let the
radical activists feel empowered about making change which can be later
pointed to as "See look! You listened to us then but now you're not!"
I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm actually not too worried about
Tueday in oakland having

Impact fees is an Actual Problem though. I want to pack the house with
people speaking out against it.

Thursday the 14th there's gonna be our regular East Bay Forward meetup
where we can all meet up in person and review out how we're attacking
this.

In the meantime, I'm wanting to write an op-ed against Oakland impact
fees. If folks want to contribute words or talking points that need fed
into people's brains, let me know. I should have a draft by Monday
night.
> _____
>
> oakland: oak...@sfyimby.threadable.com
>
> Web view:
> https://threadable.com/sfyimby/my/conversations/action-april-5th-numb
> er-oakmtg#message-148819
>
> Mute:
> https://threadable.com/ea/59Vza0eaJRSHJY7GffiHKfjiilOytLl0XrsE0IPjBDr
> LabZKQttYAbVNu1gQOaIXVF7QHkUW
>
> Unsubscribe:
> 60tYNOW60ftMqGMxXyBIsmwJ43bo0g3VdpN6ZgFTy_Jy5h
>
> Feedback: sup...@threadable.com
signature.asc

Sonja Trauss

Apr 4, 2016, 7:46:01 PM4/4/16
to Torrie Fischer, SFYIMBY: oakland, SFBA Renters Federation, DST
Here's the memo I wrote about how the SF Nexus study is misleading: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SZDmWSM9r5ff7Au4aXPmZocnmms75poLbg-IWFGtb1A/edit?usp=sharing

Now it's time to vote for housing: May 10th at CITY HALL www.sfyimby.org

Victoria Fierce

Apr 4, 2016, 7:54:30 PM4/4/16
to Sonja Trauss, SFYIMBY: oakland, SFBA Renters Federation, DST
Awesome. Thanks, Sonja!
signature.asc

d.aguila...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2016, 1:56:17 PM4/7/16
to SFBA Renters Federation, oak...@sfyimby.threadable.com, sfbaren...@googlegroups.com
Not sure where my previous comment about the agenda disappeared to, but does anyone from #oakmtg have any insight as to how council manages to get to stuff? Emailing anyone in charge seemed pretty fruitless. I get the impression that Bates/Worthington compromises tried pleasing everyone with the agenda and ended up pissing everybody off. #berkmtg essentially filibustered itself into anarchy (not the good kind).

Ummmmm so I guess I'll give everyone a heads up if/when these items are expected to return, k? K.

d.aguila...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2016, 4:35:59 PM4/7/16
to SFBA Renters Federation, sfbaren...@googlegroups.com, d.aguila...@gmail.com
Ugh. NIMBYs who think they are fighting just for low-income residents by blocking market-rate, and make up bogus stats about vacancies to try to claim there is no demand for market-rate, are literally as batshit as climate change deniers. </rant>

also hi Berkeley Daily Planet!