$10k grants for creative action against voter suppression

Michael Garcia

Aug 28, 2020, 5:23:21 PM8/28/20
to SF-awesom...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

There are grants available (up to $10k) for creative projects to fight voter suppression. From an associate:

“Please tell people and orgs you work with who are in the creative activism game. Or anyone who could come up with a creative, effective project to address the crazy voter problems that are happening all over the country.

We’re having an info session online at noon EST on Monday, Aug 31. Zoom link.
If you’re interested but don’t have a solid idea yet, do come. We’re looking to share and brainstorm together.

Here’s a page with more info, and how to apply. We’re asking for short letters of interest by Sept 2. Quick turnaround time, but, we want to get these projects funded asap!

We’re looking for creative projects that address the biggest voter suppression problems, like:

- Lack of poll workers.
- Barriers to voting by mail - lack of voter education on the logistics of voting during COVID, misinformation, disinformation.
- Voting safely in a pandemic - how can we help people assess the real risk, minimize it, and/or quell uneeded fears that may stop them from voting
- Outright voter suppression tactics, especially in Black and Indigenous communities and in communities of other underrepresented groups.
- Preparing people for what happens aftervoting - polling indicates half the country may not trust the outcome for various reasons. Lawsuits, challenges, contested elections, and lots of tension are expected.

To combat them, we need artistic and creative projects that aim to:
- Keep polling places staffed.
- Ensure that people understand how to effectively vote by mail, drop-off, or in person.
- Empower people to confidently vote down-ballot in local elections
- Ensure that people know that voting is relevant to the issues that  motivated so many people on the streets in the past months (and years)
- Monitor election boards and hold them accountable, so they can’t, for example, quietly close polls in communities of color.
- Cultivate engagement, fun, humor, joy, and community around voting and elections.
- Prepare people for the unknowns that will come after November.

The focus is on states with a history of voter suppression and of special interest in this election: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin, but others as well.

If you know of projects or people who might be a good fit, please let them know. We’re excited to be able to fund great projects at this critical time.”

Joel Pomerantz

Aug 31, 2020, 1:29:27 PM8/31/20
to Friends of Awesome
And if voter suppression is already too deeply entrenched and facilitates a coup d’etat, as Trump seems to be promising, we have some prep to do:
https://wagingnonviolence.org/2020/08/mass-direct-action-might-be-the-only-way-to-stop-trump-from-stealing-the-election/

"The more quickly we nonviolently disrupt Trump’s plans — at scale — the less longer-term disruption to our country and our lives.”

"How can we influence the center to join us?”
"How did the successful anti-coup movements remain nonviolent when violence was used against them?”

“Authoritarian rulers fear peaceful resistance above all else.”
> --
> Discuss things you feel awesome about. Not just here. =:|:= This discussion group is connected with the SF chapter of the Awesome Foundation (sf.awesomefoundation.org)
> ---

Zach R

Sep 6, 2020, 11:43:25 AM9/6/20
to sf-awesom...@googlegroups.com
Hey Michael,
  I just saw this email now...is it too late to apply?  I make conscious / political hip hop and would love to create a new song to combat voter suppression.

Specifically, Id like to address voter manipulation through facebook ads and the scandal there that Guardian reporter Carole Cadwalladr blew the whistle on with Camridge Analytica (it's still a problem).

Id also like to address disenfranchisement in PoC and the disabled community (im disabled).

lmk if it is too late to apply plz, thanks!

- Zach / Revolt

Sep 6, 2020, 11:52:40 AM9/6/20
to SF-awesom...@googlegroups.com
While I’m not affiliated with this group, their website does say the deadline for short proposals was Sept 2, unfortunately. The Awesome Foundation Disability Chapter might also be a good place to apply with a project like this, their grant cycle closes on the 15th of each month: https://www.awesomefoundation.org/en/chapters/disability

On Sep 6, 2020, at 8:43 AM, Zach R <organi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

 Hey Michael,