PNW April build day

AG6QV - Frank

Apr 19, 2022, 9:56:34 PM4/19/22
to PNW Microwave
Hello everyone,

It's that time again. The microwave build day is on April 24th from 9am
to noon-ish. Bill (N6MN) has indicated that he will join us and bring
some microwave equipment surplus to his needs.

- Frank

--
73 de Frank
CN87tl

Ray Cannon - W7GLF

Apr 20, 2022, 3:56:17 PM4/20/22
to PNW Microwave
Let me know if there is anything I can bring...  I will look around here and see if there is anything that someone might be interested in.

Nick Krachmalnick

Apr 20, 2022, 4:10:59 PM4/20/22
to Ray Cannon - W7GLF, Frank Kroman, PNW Microwave
I will bring my 500 Watt load & the rest of my 1296 gear.

73's

Ray Cannon - W7GLF

Apr 22, 2022, 7:00:41 PM4/22/22
to PNW Microwave
I assume there will be a sufficiently powerful 28 volt power supply and a variable 10 watt source of 1296.  If not I can bring mine but it will take a little work to get it out of the desktop position.  I also assume there will be a good meter there but just in case I will bring mine.  It can handle up to 10 Amps DC so it is fine for setting idle current but not for measuring current when amplifier is running full throttle.

I also have a NARDA 30 dB directional coupler plus a 30 dB attenuator that I have been using to drop power from 100 watts (+50 dBm) down to -10dBm which I can then measure with one of my 432 wattmeters.  At first I was trying my Bird 43 with a 400-1000 MHz slug but I was getting some sporadic nonsense readings (which may be because my 43 Bird wattmeter has a peak reading circuit board which could be picking up 1296 when it is close to my dummy load).

The NARDA coupler is useful if you want to look at the 1296 output on a spectrum analyzer as well.

I can lug my amplifier along for the ride although I have never gotten more than about 100 watts out of it.  I still need to rig up a source of 1296 that I can easily vary from say 3 to 12 watts.  I think I can do that here - it will take recabling.  I also need a good way to view both input and output power simultaneously.    I think I can do that as well if the Bird will behave.  I am starting to trip over coaxial cables running between my bench and where my radios live :)...

Nick Krachmalnick

Apr 23, 2022, 1:47:23 AM4/23/22
to Ray Cannon - W7GLF, Frank Kroman, Fred Wilde, PNW Microwave
I'll bring my amp, power supplies, a 1296 driver amp that is easy to adjust the gain up to ~ 18 watts,
I came bring a bird as well. I have one 100 watt "J" slug (950 Mhz - 1260 Mhz) I can bring.

Nick

Ray Cannon - W7GLF

Apr 23, 2022, 2:42:52 PM4/23/22
to PNW Microwave
OK.  I will not plan to bring my IC1271A - it is a pain to disconnect and pull out of its spot on the desk.  I am pretty sure others will have SG-Labs 1296 transverters there but I can throw mine in just in case.

John Petrich

Apr 23, 2022, 6:38:47 PM4/23/22
to Ray Cannon - W7GLF, PNW Microwave
Ray and Nick,
I can bring my portable 1296 20 Watt rig and PS for tomorrow's testing.  No problems regarding disconnecting or disrupting anything in my shack.  Attached is a photo of it ready to go.

CU tomorrow<
John, W7FU

1296 MHz rig.docx