Field Testing

AG6QV - Frank

Nov 7, 2022, 5:50:33 PM11/7/22
to PNW Microwave
Hello Everyone,

As discussed at the previous microwave build day we are dedicating 11/13
to field testing. The forecast is looking good so far. Do we have a
meeting point for initial tuneup before we split into two groups and
increase the distance?

I'll bring 3 rigs: 10 GHz SSB/CW and two 122 GHz systems with horn and
dish FM/CW and a HT for coordination.

- Frank

--
73 de Frank
CN87tl

Nick Krachmalnick

Nov 7, 2022, 6:20:06 PM11/7/22
to AG6QV - Frank, PNW Microwave
Hi Frank,

Nothing new to my knowledge regarding a meeting point.

Will bring 10 GHz (My 10 GHz system 2 has an output).

10GHzSys2TXout1.jpg

Still working on raising that from the ~4.5 dBm initial & 10 GHz horn. I have not really set up the feedhorn on the 10/24GHz dish yet. Will also bring my 122 GHz horn unit as the dish feedhorn is not set up on that yet.

We should sync up the 122 radios to verify where each radio see's the signal to save time.

Ray Cannon - W7GLF

Nov 7, 2022, 9:03:33 PM11/7/22
to PNW Microwave
I have looked at the location up here - Matthews Beach and OO Denny Park.  They are only about 1.3 miles apart so about twice as close as the ones suggested earlier Be'er Shiva and Coulon Park (3+ miles).

I had a strange thought about trying to bounce 10 GHz signals off of a mountain between the two endpoints that we chose but unfortunately although OO Denny Park can see Rainier Matthews Beach cannot.   Likewise Coulon can see Rainier but Be'er Shiva cannot.  I don't see any mountains that both of endpoints of either path can see simultaneously.  Oh well...

If we decide to do it up here we can meet in my back yard to test the setups.  The back yard is not very even with attacks from moles so one needs to be careful walking.   I do have test equipment and tools to do simple repairs.  Matthews Beach is about 25 minutes away from here driving around the north side of Lake Washington and OO Denny Park is about 10 minutes.

Rick, W7RNB, would be the expert on Matthews beach since I have never been there but OO Denny park has lots of room and several picnic tables - hopefully we can grab one of those.

Of course if we decide on Be'er Shiva and Coulon then Frank's would probably be the logical place to meet.

I have done some GoogleEarth stuff and find the following paths

OO Denny Park to Matthews  223.6 True 208.3 Magnetic                              to Rainier 159 True  143.7 Magnetic
Matthews to OO Denny Park    43.4 True   18.1 Magnetic

Coulon to Be'er Shiva  290.7 True  275.4 Magnetic                               to Rainier 156 True  140.7 Magnetic
Be'er Shiva to Coulon  110.7 True    95.4 Magnetic

My equipment:

122 GHz:
3 units - I will only bring two - horn and dish - both lockable to gps.  I think from my test with Nick I know frequency offset but it would be good to verify.

10 GHz
2 units - I am thinking of only bringing my W1GHZ unit unless someone out there wants to try a bounce off of Mount Rainier.  Getting 2 dishes in the car is possible if I dismount one of the dishes for travel.

I do have a generator but I hope we can just use batteries.  I can bring a 20 AH and a 47 AH battery along.  I suspect at OO Denny Park I might be able to setup next to my car.  Question is can I avoid the trees?

Whereevr we go if would go it would be good to have two groups - one for each side.  Each group should have at least two operators.  This would allow us to compare units side by side.

Let me know what others think...

Nick Krachmalnick

Nov 8, 2022, 1:09:21 AM11/8/22
to Ray Cannon - W7GLF, PNW Microwave
Yes, I know that it is off frequency.

Analyzer was warming up, no ext 10 Mhz ref. I still have some work left to do on this.

73's

KR

Nov 9, 2022, 11:13:37 AM11/9/22
to PNW Microwave, Ray Cannon - W7GLF, Nick Krachmalnick
Proposal 1:  We could meet at Gene Coulon Memorial Beach Park parking lot.  The parking lot about 200 feet from one end to the other.  We won't see summer time crowds this time of year.   That would give us a short distance to test 10GHz and 122GHz.  Then we split into two teams.

Team 1 - Test from pier by Ivar's

image.png

Team 2 - Test from Atlantic City Boat Ramp

image.png

--Konrad

--
Best,
Konrad

Konrad Roeder
425-444-0595 Cell

Ray Cannon - W7GLF

Nov 10, 2022, 8:54:32 PM11/10/22
to PNW Microwave
We need to settle on a location.  I don't really care but the thought struck me that if anyone had a problem while we were testing at a remote location there would be no way to do any last minute repairs.

One advantage that Coulon has is the path is 2.3 miles rather than just 1.3 miles.  Also the two end points are about 15 minutes apart by car.  The disadvantage is that it is further away for Nick, Fred, Rick and myself but I can live with that.

KR

Nov 11, 2022, 8:47:11 AM11/11/22
to Ray Cannon - W7GLF, PNW Microwave
Proposal #1 Atlantic Boat Ramp (on the water just south of Be'er Shiva Park) to Coulon Park was the proposal that Frank had initially proposed.

Ray Cannon - W7GLF

Nov 12, 2022, 3:29:08 PM11/12/22
to PNW Microwave
Since I haven't heard any other comments let's go with Konrad's idea and meet at Coulon parking lot.  I assume at 9 AM???

Nick Krachmalnick

Nov 12, 2022, 3:33:15 PM11/12/22
to Ray Cannon - W7GLF, PNW Microwave
OK Coulon Park parking lot at 9 AM.

Fred and I will see you there and monitor eial if there are any further changes to the testing meet place.

73's

Frank M. Kromann

Nov 12, 2022, 6:09:09 PM11/12/22
to Nick Krachmalnick, Ray Cannon - W7GLF, PNW Microwave

That sounds good. I'll be there too.

- Frank

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/PNW-Microwave/CAJLZ--UpXFEeTqDnMuzHzQkWS0kBktQ-KN91LS1bO4fVwBc5Xg%40mail.gmail.com.
--
Web by Pixel, LLC
Frank M. Kromann

Ray Cannon - W7GLF

Nov 12, 2022, 6:21:32 PM11/12/22
to PNW Microwave
I will be on 146.58 on my way down...

KR

Nov 13, 2022, 10:39:56 AM11/13/22
to Ray Cannon - W7GLF, Nick Krachmalnick, Frank Kromann, Fred W, PNW Microwave
Konrad under the weather...

I caught a cold (or the Rona?) yesterday.  I took the test but have not seen the results.  Either way, I'm going to sit it out today and maybe call in sick tomorrow at work.  I really looked forward to today.

--Konrad

Nick Krachmalnick

Nov 13, 2022, 11:45:04 AM11/13/22
to KR, Ray Cannon - W7GLF, Frank Kromann, Fred W, PNW Microwave
Sorry to hear that.

I am here at Coulon in Ivars parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone

AG6QV - Frank

Nov 13, 2022, 8:46:49 PM11/13/22
to Nick Krachmalnick, KR, Ray Cannon - W7GLF, Fred W, PNW Microwave

We managed to get a few short distance contacts: https://web20.webbypixel.com/LogBook

- Frank

Ray Cannon - W7GLF

Nov 13, 2022, 9:44:39 PM11/13/22
to PNW Microwave
Disappointing.  We are wondering if trying to go over water and high dew point explains and why nothing was heard on 122 GHz shot over Lake Washington.  We certainly need to find a better spot for testing.

Frank by the way I tested my 10 GHz W1GHZ receiver inside the house and it seems to work well.  I am not sure I remember hearing an increase of noise when I switched it on in the field.  I do hear that at home when the oscillators start up.  I am wondering whether the 46 degree temperature might have had something to do with that.  I will need to do some more testing at home by taking it outside to see how it does in the cold.  It does have a DowneastMicrowave preamp on receive so the RX should be pretty hot.