Why is the BikeShare flying so under the radar?

Nathan Miller

Jul 27, 2022, 4:16:33 PM7/27/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
A FEW more details on the Portland Bikeshare in the Parks & Rec newsletter: Parks, Recreation & Facilities | Portland, ME - Official Website (portlandmaine.gov)

I just don't get why there has been so little public promotion of this program. I'm the type of person who would be on pre-registration lists, pouring over maps of the station locations, and likely analyzing individual use fees vs. membership costs, and then annoying all my friends with this information, IF any of that was available. Given that it's already slipped from "early" to "late" summer for launch, I'm thinking they first year usage numbers are going to be real low.

Nate

Full text:

Preparations are in high gear for an August launch of Portland Bikeshare. Bike share is a system of publicly-accessible bikes distributed throughout the community for shared use, a concept that has been widely popular in cities around the country and world. Community-based bikeshare operator Tandem Mobility was selected as the city’s bikeshare vendor through a competitive process in 2021. Tandem operates over a dozen bike share systems nationally.

2022 will run as a pilot program year for the bikeshare system, with 200 bikes: 150 traditionally geared cruiser-style bikes and 50 electric-assist. The bikes will be deployed throughout the peninsula at a series of bikeshare stations: 25 locations with new, bikeshare-dedicated racks and another 20+ locations using public bike racks. Bikes will need to be checked out, returned, and locked at these designated locations.

Several bikeshare stations will be located within City of Portland parks, such as at East End Beach, Amethyst Park, the Back Cove Trail, Bell Buoy Park, and Deering Oaks. These park-based bikeshare stations are expected to be among the most highly used in the system.
Stay tuned for more details as the August launch date nears, and we hope to see you next month in one of our parks on a Portland Bikeshare bike!

Zack Barowitz

Jul 27, 2022, 10:14:20 PM7/27/22
to Portland Bicycle-Pedestrian Advisory Committee
Yea that is odd. Maybe they don't have the staff to administer it?

917-696-5649
ZacharyBarowitz.com

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and confidential,
and only intended for the addressee. Should you receive this message by
mistake, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or use of this message is strictly prohibited. Please inform
the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.