Provisional Route for Next Councilor Ride: Edge City Edition

Zack Barowitz

Aug 8, 2022, 9:44:23 PM8/8/22
to Portland Bicycle-Pedestrian Advisory Committee
Which will be last Sunday in September:
Here is a possible route on and around the Portland periphery.
(NB: Google maps does not know all the shortcuts through UNE, Evergreen Cemetery, and the Rowe school that we know).
Zack

--
917-696-5649
ZacharyBarowitz.com

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and confidential,
and only intended for the addressee. Should you receive this message by
mistake, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or use of this message is strictly prohibited. Please inform
the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

John Brooking

Aug 13, 2022, 6:54:57 PM8/13/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. Riverside Street between Brighton and Warren is one of the suckiest roads I know for bicycling. Not just the 4 narrow lanes, which doesn't bother me so much but I know it does some people, but there's just more motorist entitlement there than almost any other road I know of. Probably related to the proximity to the interstate, even though it's not technically part of the interchange.

I don't know if this would be an appropriate topic, and I think we've brought it up on a similar ride to Westbrook a few years ago, but there's that RR ROW alongside Warren that passes right near the end of Pinecrest. It would be awesome to have a bike/ped cut-through to Warren there. Yes, it's only Warren, but there are a lot of commercial destinations there, or a shorter way to continue on to Morrill's Corner. Otherwise it's 6 miles between the end of Pinecrest and the nearest point on Warren Avenue, along that stretch of Riverside, as compared to less than a quarter mile apart as the crow flies. (Lucky crows!)

BTW, following Ludlow through to Pinecrest and then continuing to Holm Avenue is a great low-traffic alternative to Brighton Avenue to get to Westbrook. Saves you laboring up the hill in the travel lane (or sidewalk, if you prefer) past the shopping center. You even now have a bike lane from there to the Westbrook line. (And since this spring, BMUFL signs along the Rock Row stretch in Westbrook.)

P.S. More CyclingSavvy courses plus other cool stuff, like a lighthouse ride, lobster bake, and overnight bikepacking trip to the Peoples Perch in East Baldwin, coming up in a few weeks. I'll send a separate message about that pretty soon.

John Brooking
Cyclist, Cycling Educator, Technologist