GP Metro Change - West End

George Rheault

Jan 4, 2023, 1:15:50 PM1/4/23
to PB...@googlegroups.com
FYI -  Route 8 in Portland's West End | Greater Portland Transit, ME (gpmetro.org)

Does anyone have a clue about why the recent (and expensive) beautification of Andrews Square has necessitated a bus rerouting discussion?

I am unlikely to attend the meeting next week, but I am bothered that a major West End intersection may have been redesigned without consideration for bus service.

Also, this is Portland so of course there is always the sneaking suspicion that the Andrews Square redesign was intentionally meant to push the bus route somewhere else in order to protect some affluent West Ender from experiencing the horrors of mass transit.

Scsmedia

Jan 4, 2023, 3:09:35 PM1/4/23
to PB...@googlegroups.com
George is referncing this change and a conversation that will happen at the West End Neighborhood Assn meeting next Wednesday.  The existing route takes a right turn at Andrews Square and then proceeds to Emery Street.  The modification to Andrews Square paid for with Federal CBDG funds tightened the corners for pedestrian safety, apparently making the bus turn impossible.  Not shown is the temporary change.

Personally, it makes more sense for the bus to go to Pine Street and then down to Emery which has a wide three way intersection.

There are no bus stops shown here so I do not know which stops that would impact and we also do not know how many people use these stops.  The bus does need to go to the corner of Emery and Danforth to service Harbor Terrace.  It also makes the jog back to Spring Street to service 100 State Street (which was impacted by construction this summer).

Route 8 in Portland's West End

Route Change in Portland's West End

Due to recent construction in Andrews Square, METRO's Route 8 needs to change its permanent route through the West End. METRO has been using Cushman Street since construction was completed, but given that local streets will need to be used to serve all the destinations in the area, we seek the neighborhood's input on the best, (or least-disruptive) route through the area.
METRO is considering two options:
  1. Using Clark Street, turning right onto Cushman Street, and left onto Emery Street (currently in use)
    • This option would have impact to bus stops aside from the changes already made in November 2022
  2. Using Clark Street, turning right onto Spring Street,  and turning left onto Emery Street.
    • This option would require the relocation of the stop at Emery/Spruce Street, likely impacting on-street parking on Spring Street.

Public Meeting Date and Location

The West End Neighborhood Association (WENA) has generously put this issue on their January 11, 2023 agenda.
Meeting Date: January 11, 2023 at 6:30 PM
Meeting Location: Reiche Community Center, 166 Brackett Street, 2nd Floor
Can't attend? Submit feedback here.

Steven Scharf

Scsmedia

Scsmedia

Jan 12, 2023, 4:42:16 PM1/12/23
to pb...@googlegroups.com, mtre...@gpmetro.org
Memo to the Portland Bicycle and Pedestrain Advisory Committee
Re: GP Metro Proposed Route 8 Change - West End

The West End Neighborhood Association held our quarterly meeting at which the Greater Portland Metro and two city staff attended to get feedback on the routing of the 8 bus through part of the neighborhood. This route change has been necessitated due to the project at Andrews Square to make the corner more pedestrian friendly.

Inline image

Original view of the square

Inline image

Today’s view of the square

As you can see they removed the slip lane and added additional sidewalk and plantings are in front of the pole and monument. It also squared up the intersection bringing the pine Street curbs into alignment. In doing so they created a more pedestrian friendly space in the West End. This project and been in the planning stages for the last 10 years and finally came to fruition last summer using CBDG funding.

An unforeseen problem arose during construction and after completion that the bus cannot make the sharper turn around the corner from West Street to Pine Street. Note the prominent building is The Butler School housing which serves elderly residents. Their bus stop was on the Pine Street side of the building and for now has been moved to the West Street side of the building. (It was pointed out at the meeting that there is no ADA accessibility from that side of the building.)

To solve the routing problem during construction, Metro rerouted the bus down Clark Street to Cushman Street.

METRO is considering three options:

  1. Using Clark Street, turning right onto Cushman Street, and left onto Emery Street (currently in use) This option would have no impact to bus stops aside from the changes already made in November 2022 Slight line-of-site issues at Cushman/Emery

  2. Using Clark Street, turning right onto Spruce Street, and turning left onto Emery Street. This option would require a slight relocation of the stop at Emery/Spruce, but this would not have any impact on parking as the parking on Spruce Street is on the south side.  May be safest option as buses would be driving on opposite side of the street from parked cars Buses may have issues turning from Clark to Spruce with a vehicle parked close to the Spruce/Clark stop sign

  3. Using Clark Street, turning right onto Spring Street,  and turning left onto Emery Street.  This option would require the relocation of the stop at Emery/Spruce Street, likely impacting on-street parking on Spring Street. All-way stops at Spring/Clark and Spring/Emery may or may not be advantageous for bus turns

We had an exceptional attendance at the meeting of 36 people with a significant number of people from Cushman Street who were all opposed to using Cushman Street citing various claims and excuses (busses speed down the one block street, children and pets playing in the street, etc.)

I suggested they look at running from the Western Prom to Pine Street and then to Emery Street which 211 feet from the Butler School ADA entrance vs 170 feet from the entrance to West Street. (Personally, I think these distances are minimal in nature). Based on the data presented last night, the bus stop has about four weekday boarding per day!

There is a powerpoint presentation on the Metro website with a lot more detail: https://gpmetro.org/1636/Route-8-in-Portlands-West-End

George Reault and folks has asked how could this blunder have happened. I do not consider it a blunder. If presented the options, ten times out of ten, I would choose to redesign Andrews Square exactly how it was done.

But some background that went over people’s head last night. Pre Covid there was a plan to completely reroute the 8 bus through the West End called the 2019-2021 Peninsula Loop “Reboot” Plan

Proposed map and schedule changes in 2019-2022 would have run a more direct route via Fore River Parkway to Danforth Street, avoiding local, lower-volume streets • Significant negative feedback to this proposal • Reboot plans were paused in 2021 to allow for a regional planning project called Transit Together to play out

The Bike Ped Committee reviewed the concept with several list serv threads in 2019 to 2021. It appears they “paused” the process prior to our taking a position on it. Had this pln gone through, this issue would be a non factor. But 2019 was so long ago, thankfully we have the list serv to provide back up history!

Steven Scharf

207-415-4662

SCSM...@aol.com