Posted on Behalf of Bicycle Coalition / Education: Request to Collaborate w PBPAC

1 view

Denise Brautigam

Jan 28, 2023, 12:02:15 PM1/28/23
to Portland Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee, Erik DaSilva
Erik daSilva who works in education & advocacy for the Bicycle Coalition [BCM], contacted me recently when I contacted the BCM to see if they would assist getting the PBPAC Winter Riding Skillshare event on Zoom. This was before I brought it up on the listserv and John and others offered to do it.  Anyway, Erik did eventually get in touch and was very interested in collaborating with the PBPAC on events.

He went so far as to ask if anyone from this group would like to work with him and his team creating events, especially for the BCM lunchtime webinars. These are excellent btw.  I have attended the last 3.  I am a seasoned cyclist with over a decade of year-round riding and I always learn something new [& useful] at these webinars. And they are well presented. Both Dan & Erik who host them, are obviously seasoned Zoom users and know how to use it.

Anyway, I will let Erik speak for himself.  Here is the letter he sent me which I am posting with his permission - please contact Erik directly if you are interested in working with him:

Speaking for the education / advocacy team (and you've spoken with Angela or Dan recently), we would definitely like to support PBPAC in the future and perhaps partner on some events. At the very least it seems like we could cross-market events and help each other get the word out. We have a long list of topics that we'll be discussing on our Wednesday Webinar series, but perhaps you'd be interested in joining us for one of the following more relevant-to-PBPAC topics: a) micromobility and b) trails and interconnectivity. We are open to other topic ideas as well.

Thanks for all the good work that you do!

Erik daSilva (he/him)
Associate Education Director
Celebrate 30 years of the BCMdonate today!

John Brooking

Jan 28, 2023, 12:31:52 PM1/28/23
to PB...@googlegroups.com, Erik DaSilva
Thanks, Denise!

I'll take this opportunity to mention that I have been talking with BCM and others recently about starting a statewide communication group for spreading information about all kinds of bicycling education in Maine. I'll provide more information when we get farther along, but any individuals interested in either helping with that, or just subscribing to our eventual push communications, can let me know and I'll add you to our list. Thanks.

I'll be attending some February webinars myself, the ones on micromobility (2/1) and meeting the DOT Active Transportation Planner (2/15).

John Brooking
Cyclist, Cycling Educator, Technologist