RE: The Nature of the Absolute (Parabrahman, Ultimate Reality, Void)

Vasavada, Kashyap V

May 28, 2018, 9:01:56 AM5/28/18
to Kushal Shah, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Kushal,

Thanks for the link. Like Alex I was also at the ICCR meeting in Dec. 2016 and gave a talk. I do remember that according to some at the meeting concept of Shunyata and Brahman are same.  Most likely Alex does not agree with this (?). I will reread Alex’s talk . In my talk (which will be published in the proceedings) the emphasis was  that both of these concepts find close parallelism in modern physics.

Best Regards.

Kashyap

May 28, 2018, 11:32:05 AM5/28/18
to Vasavada, Kashyap V, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kashyap,

It is certainly true that many physicists take deep interest in Advaita and Buddhism, since it provides them some basis for some of their bizzare theories. But I find this somewhat problematic since scientists often use these concepts as a shoulder to cry upon rather than one to stand upon and see farther. The fundamental assumptions or starting point of physics and Advaita/Buddhism are starkly different and it's almost impossible to have a genuine acceptability for both at the same level. Genuine Advaitins like to think of Physics the same way as Physicists like to think of engineering: a gross approximation made to fulfill practical needs.

Best,
Kushal.

Kushal Shah @ EECS Dept, IISER Bhopal
http://home.iiserb.ac.in/~kushals

Vasavada, Kashyap V

May 28, 2018, 12:25:07 PM5/28/18
to Kushal Shah, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Kushal,

Sorry Kushal! I will have to be blunt! A typical physicist does not need Vedanta any more than a typical Vedantin  needs physics. So to say “crying over shoulders”  is not appropriate! In fact our daily life is wrapped up in science and technology so much that it is exactly opposite, i e. Vedantins use science more than physicists use Vedanta. I believe you have cell phone in your pocket right now and your house and the places you go to are full of technical gadgets. Presumably you visit doctors, hospitals and use cars and airplanes ! So it is too late for complaints like this!! We have to go back to caves in Himalayas! So my statements are made for advance towards  some mutual understanding between the two areas. Otherwise physicists will go there way ( as western minded physicists do anyway, calling Vedanta non sense) and let Vedantins go their way to Himalayan caves if they want!

So there should be mutual respect for the two fields. It cannot be one way street!

Siegfried Bleher

May 28, 2018, 12:39:41 PM5/28/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com, Vasavada, Kashyap V

Dear Kushal,

Thank you for linking to the article on Sunya and Atman—it is very illuminating.  I include the following quotes from the article:

“Sunyata is a state of pure consciousness that one would revert to if one were able to empty oneself of any illusory constructions or impressions of an unchanging or permanent reality,whether of things or persons

Atman-consciousness is a kind of consciousness-as-nothingness in asmuch as it is empty of the attributes of ego-specific subjectivity.”

As a practitioner of both vipassana and yoga, I would offer that, in agreement with Professor Boruah, there is essentially complementarity between these viewpoints and ultimately convergence. Difference is evident primarily from the perspective of the mind that discerns self from other.

The difference is that between affirming the experience of ‘being that’ and ‘pointing to that’ which is free of individualized ego-centered consciousness.  These are complementary viewpoints, not conflicting at their heart.

A metaphor I find useful is that of an ocean: the ocean can be empty of waves or perturbations, but it is still very much present as ocean.

As a physicist, I agree in a limited way with your assessment that “The fundamental assumptions or starting point of physics and Advaita/Buddhism are starkly different”.  For me, the fundamental assumption of physics is not the specific axioms we may offer as the ground of a particular theory, rather it is the fact that we begin with empirical ‘primitives’ (observations, qualia).  The axioms and resulting theories arise from patterns we see, their mathematical representations, and subsequent empirical testing.  In formal (meditative) practices we also begin with ‘primitives’ which are the sensory data, notice patterns that emerge from persistent practice, and arrive at ‘theories’ (e.g. Eight-fold Path, Ashtanga Yoga).  In particular, the fact that quantum mechanics arrives at complementarity (here I am not highlighting any conflicts in the many interpretations of QM, only the concepts that have so far withstood the test of time) points not merely to a quirky property of matter at small scales, but rather it points to the same ontological truth that underlies the disagreements between Advaita and Buddhism.

Sincerely,

Siegfried

From the article Kushal refers to:

It is certainly true that many physicists take deep interest in Advaita and Buddhism, since it provides them some basis for some of their bizzare theories. But I find this somewhat problematic since scientists often use these concepts as a shoulder to cry upon rather than one to stand upon and see farther. The fundamental assumptions or starting point of physics and Advaita/Buddhism are starkly different and it's almost impossible to have a genuine acceptability for both at the same level. Genuine Advaitins like to think of Physics the same way as Physicists like to think of engineering: a gross approximation made to fulfill practical needs.

Best,

Kushal.

----------------------------
Fifth International Conference
Science and Scientist - 2017
August 18—19, 2017
Nepal Pragya Pratisthan, Kathmandu, Nepal
http://scsiscs.org/conference/scienceandscientist/2017

Send a Donation to Support Our Services: http://scienceandscientist.org/donate
(All Indian residents are eligible for tax benefits for their contributions under section 80G of the Income Tax Act)

Report Archives: http://bviscs.org/reports

Why Biology is Beyond Physical Sciences?: http://dx.doi.org/10.5923/j.als.20160601.03

Life and consciousness – The Vedāntic view: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19420889.2015.1085138

Harmonizer: http://scienceandscientist.org/harmonizer

Darwin Under Siege: http://scienceandscientist.org/Darwin

Princeton Bhakti Vedanta Institute: http://bviscs.org

Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Institute: http://scsiscs.org

Sadhu-Sanga Blog: http://mahaprabhu.net/satsanga

Contact Us: http://scsiscs.org/contact
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D." group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/Online_Sadhu_Sanga.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Online_Sadhu_Sanga/CABSgQwqwmJojfm2Aq1O8CTD8z8DVZMeGnrMFN1bAok4xzB02%3Dg%40mail.gmail.com.

Vasavada, Kashyap V

May 28, 2018, 3:11:26 PM5/28/18
to Sabhajit Mishra, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sabhajit,

I agree that the fundamental requirement for a physics (scientific in general) theory is agreement of the model with (sensory) experiments. But I will point out that both the questions you raise do come up in physics. Idea of underlying reality is usually forced on physicists by experiments. For example, overwhelmingly large number of physicists believe in local but non real quantum world because of wave particle duality and Bell type experiments. “why are there things rather than nothing.” comes up in cosmology and even though the universe is supposed to come from vacuum, it is not nothing as imagined by common man. It has quantum fields built in! So a physicist has to worry about definition of “nothing” also!!

Best Regards.

Kashyap

Kushal Shah

May 28, 2018, 8:12:17 PM5/28/18
to Vasavada, Kashyap V, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kashyap,

Your email actually corroborates what I said! As you might know, many founders of modern physics including Einstein, Schrodinger and Heisenberg found great solace in Vedanta for the bizarre theories they had to develop to explain experimental findings. However, physicists soon realized that getting too much into Vedanta can be problematic since the basic assumptions are starkly different. Also, over time physicists got used to the bizarre equations and got too busy calculating numbers. That's what I meant by saying that Physicists used Vedanta purely as a shoulder to cry upon rather than to stand on and see farther.

It's certainly true that Vedantins use scientific products for their day to day functioning more than the other way round, but that doesn't make science more profound than Vedanta. We all use engineering more than general relativity, but that doesn't make engineering more profound. Usefulness in daily life should not be equated with depth of knowledge.

If physicists can look down upon engineering as a lesser subject, why can't Vedantins look down upon physics? And the chain surely surely doesn't stop there. In turn, Bhaktas also look upon Vedantins as foolish intellectuals. Ironically, it was Adi Sankaracharya himself who wrote Bhaja Govindam! To clarify, I am not saying that one subject is higher than the other but pointing towards the fact that respect should not just be mutual but universal. If X doesn't respect Y, it should not expect to be respected by Z.

If physicists wish their subject to be taken seriously by Vedantins, the first criteria is that they must be willing to question all their fundamental assumptions including that of objectivity. There's no point trying to row an anchored boat.

Best,
Kushal.

Kushal Shah @ EECS Dept, IISER Bhopal
http://home.iiserb.ac.in/~kushals

Ganesh L S

May 29, 2018, 3:51:26 AM5/29/18
to online_sa...@googlegroups.com

Kushal stated:

​If physicists wish their subject to be taken seriously by Vedantins, the first criteria is that they must be willing to question all their fundamental assumptions including that of objectivity. There's no point trying to row an anchored boat.

A truthful observation and a wonderful metaphor.  Perhaps there is a problem with the length of the anchor-rope; is it infinite?  And, does the boat really matter at all?  Do we even have to consider anyone or thing in the boat, the calmness around or is it raging winds on the contrary, the roughness of the ocean, and so on?  To make matters even more challenging we consider first, second, third and nth person perspectives while desiring 'objectivity'.

Please let each one of us first focus on discovering our source before attempting to discover the common source of everything around. In this journey, we will necessarily have to deal with 'shoonya' and 'poorna', and perhaps simply dwell in bewilderment and awe.

A modicum of divya drishti could help in our lonely, but uncannily collective, journeys.

Best wishes,
LSG.

Asingh2384

May 30, 2018, 1:07:53 PM5/30/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com, vasa...@iupui.edu
Dear Kushal and Siegfried

URM explains the similarity between Sunyata and Purana as follows:

Sunyata (often misinterpreted as Nothingness) is the Zero Pont State of the universe that is all-inclusive (everythingness) or Purana (Whole). Sunyata means  “absent of mass” but not absent of energy. In the Zero Point State all matter (mass) converts to energy in a fully dilated space-time or eternity.

Hence, according to the URM scientific predictions, Sunyata and Purana are equivalent Zero Point State of the Wholeness or Everythingness. Nothingness does not exist.

Best Regards
Avtar

--
----------------------------
[...]

Rajendra Bajpai

May 30, 2018, 2:20:02 PM5/30/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com, Vasavada, Kashyap V
I have a few suggestions. First, let us write Purana as Purna. Second Shunyata should be considered as disabling or switching off of Inertia and not as the absence of mass.  Fluctuations in the Purna hive rise to temporary manifestation of inertia. These fluctuations, or call them spandan, seem to have patterns, which Vedantins and Physicists try to discover. Third, Purna is an infinitely large many body system, while usual interpretations of quantum mechanics pertain  to single body system. The comparison may or may not yield insights.
Rajendra Bajpai

Kushal Shah

May 30, 2018, 8:20:59 PM5/30/18
On Mon, May 28, 2018, 10:08 PM Siegfried Bleher <SBl...@msn.com> wrote:

 In particular, the fact that quantum mechanics arrives at complementarity (here I am not highlighting any conflicts in the many interpretations of QM, only the concepts that have so far withstood the test of time) points not merely to a quirky property of matter at small scales, but rather it points to the same ontological truth that underlies the disagreements between Advaita and Buddhism.

Hi Siegfried, that sounds like a very interesting point! Can you please elaborate on this?

Best,
Kushal.

Andris Heks

May 30, 2018, 8:43:36 PM5/30/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Superb observations!

Many thanks to you all.

Best,

Andris Heks

Sent: Thursday, 31 May 2018 10:04 AM
To: Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

--
----------------------------
[...]

Vasavada, Kashyap V

May 31, 2018, 8:03:39 AM5/31/18
to From the Chief Editor, J. Integr. Neurosci., IMR Press, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

Debates on consciousness has taken an interesting turn towards conditions in India, poverty and lack of hygiene etc.! I grew up in India until I was 23 and have settled in U.S. since 1960.We were from a low middle class, but we had running water few hours a day and Indian style toilette  inside the rented house. We visit India every now and then. So I am familiar with both the worlds. True, there is still lot of poverty and lack of hygiene  especially in villages and small towns, principal reason being shortage of water. But this is being remedied by building dams ,canals , wells and  water reservoirs all over. Prime minister Mody  made an interesting call to build toilettes instead of temples! When we visit our relatives (middle to upper middle income , not necessarily rich), we find all of them have filtered drinkable water and western style toilettes in their homes. Eating food from vendors on street  is still not safe especially for western immune systems! But there are very good clean restaurants.  The material progress is absolutely amazing. There are fancy high rises in every city and 6 lane high ways at lot of places. Middle class people (there may be 3 to 400 million of them In India now!) can afford cars. When I was growing up only super rich could afford cars. Cars and industrial growth has of course brought in pollution and it will have to be solved like Los Angelis, may be by using electricity.  Does Joe realize that India put a space craft in Martian orbit at the first attempt? Indian IT people , scientists and engineers are respected everywhere. Many  CEOs of major companies in U.S grew  up in India.

Things are good enough so if I got my PH. D. today, I might have considered moving back. Now I am almost 81, my children , grandchildren and relatives are here. So it is kind of too late to move back. But we do visit. With his multi million dollars Joe should plan a visit to India.

What about U.S.?  Middle and upper income people are doing fine. But in most cities, there is minimal public transportation. Talk about poor people in inner cities. They do have toilettes, but there is lot of trash at lot of places. Some of them cannot afford hot water, nutritional foods and medical treatments. Many of them depend on govt. welfare. Because of the gun violence, poor parents are not sure if their kids would come back home in the evening. So overall it is not paradise either. The govt. and people need to work a lot at making it a better society.

Well ,this rant is too long! But I had to say something.

Best Regards.

Kashyap

Jun 1, 2018, 11:00:24 PM6/1/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kushal,

Complementarity in quantum physics is the inability to simultaneously specify (measure) two canonically conjugate physical observables of a given object, such as corresponding components of position and momentum.  Hence, according to Heisenberg uncertainty principle, specificity in one complementary variable implies uncertainty in the other. This points to complementarity of spatial and temporal characteristics of any observable object. Similarly, absorption in ‘being’ (“locating the self in the present”) dissolves spatial localizability of the (subjective) self; locating the self in space (“I am this body” or “I am in this body”) surrenders localizability in the present.

Of course, there are more subtle implications of this comparison, if taken further.  For example, surrendering spatial localizability also implies complementarity of number and identity—if I am not spatially localizable, then I am also not distinguishable from other.

Best wishes,

Siegfried

--

----------------------------
[...]

Kushal Shah

Jun 2, 2018, 5:41:50 AM6/2/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Siegfried, that I think is a brilliant analogy! Makes perfect sense.

I do believe that a convergence between Physics and Consciousness studies can perhaps be achieved if we look at the essence of their theories instead of the specific details. In that sense, Newton's laws of motion are also very profound. In particular, the concept of inertia and action-reaction.

Best,
Kushal.

Kushal Shah @ EECS Dept, IISER Bhopal
http://home.iiserb.ac.in/~kushals

mark leigh

Jun 2, 2018, 9:17:05 AM6/2/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Namaste,

I would like to offer something for some consideration on the synthesis of Buddha Dharma and Vedanta, which are in fact synonymous.

I will give a brief entry on how they are the same and non different, perhaps only in yukta method and cultural appearance. My background to this is studying both side by side for 30 years, not as a scholar but as a sadhaka and doing the practices and meeting and conversing with both sides in diverse surrounding and conditions.

 I read that people try to equate Sunya with Brahman, this is not correct, Sunya is the same as sushupti, its the realm of purified chitta or consciousness free from awareness of mental and physical phenomenon nirodha samapatti, jagrat and svapana are not in the awareness and its not quite at the level stage of turiyatita#avadhuta, but it has pure communication with turiya as ishvara and the chitta is transformed to swarupa lakshanam.

 The synthesis of states in Abhidharma and Vedanta. Both have a structure of 3 states and ultimate reality.

Vedanta
3 avasthas/states and turiya

1. Physical consciousness~Jagrat
2 Mental consciousness ~ Svapna
3. Pure Consciousness ~ Sushupti
4. Absolute Consciousness~ Turiya~ Brahman

 Abhidharma

3 spheres/states and Tathagata

1. karmaloka~ sense sphere
2. Rupaloka( nama and rupa, concept and object) ~ Form sphere including the mind and the rupa jhanas/Dhyana
3. Arupa~ Formless absorption arupa jhana/dhyana ( absent of karma and rupa, nama and rupa )
4. Lokuttara~ world transcending tathagatha ~Brahman

 Why is Tathagatha synonymous with Brahman, some basic etymology of the compound tathagatha

Tat~that
agartha means having arrived at
gata and agata is also in the compound meaning all pervasive

Siddharta in the pali suttas refers to his himself as Tathagatha. one how has arrived at that~ Brahman~ which is all pervasive.

 Brahman is not impersonal, its Absolute

Sunya is not void or empty, its the region of awareness where the chitta vrittis are purified by ways of chitta training in ways of samadhi.

Sunya is not Brahman, Brahman enters pure consciousness to reveal Self, sunya is pure consciousness.

Sunya is prajna~ is sushupti

Harih Om

Jai Guru Datta