Building Truly Intelligent Machines

Kushal Shah

May 17, 2018, 7:17:11 AM5/17/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Hi All, I would like to share with you a very thought provoking interview with Judea Pearl, winner of Turing award for the invention of Bayesian networks:

Best,
Kushal.

Kushal Shah @ EECS Dept, IISER Bhopal
http://home.iiserb.ac.in/~kushals

Bruno Marchal

May 20, 2018, 12:27:01 PM5/20/18
On 17 May 2018, at 05:33, Kushal Shah <atma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All, I would like to share with you a very thought provoking interview with Judea Pearl, winner of Turing award for the invention of Bayesian networks:

It is not too bad for the idea, except when he says that science confuse X causes Y and Y causes X (corrupted politicians, antisemites, racists and prohibitionists... do that all the time, but science is, on the contrary extremely cautious on this).

Then he betrays his lack of seriousness, probably because it is a short interview in a magazine I guess, when he says that the machines will have free will. I agree that this follows from reasonable hypotheses, but when doing science we can never be sure, and his hypotheses are not really given. He is also unaware of the metaphysical or theological consequences of all this, but he is not alone.

Best,

Bruno

--
----------------------------
Fifth International Conference

Send a Donation to Support Our Services: http://scienceandscientist.org/donate
(All Indian residents are eligible for tax benefits for their contributions under section 80G of the Income Tax Act)

Report Archives: http://bviscs.org/reports

Why Biology is Beyond Physical Sciences?: http://dx.doi.org/10.5923/j.als.20160601.03

Life and consciousness – The Vedāntic view: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19420889.2015.1085138

Harmonizer: http://scienceandscientist.org/harmonizer

Darwin Under Siege: http://scienceandscientist.org/Darwin

Princeton Bhakti Vedanta Institute: http://bviscs.org

Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Institute: http://scsiscs.org

Sadhu-Sanga Blog: http://mahaprabhu.net/satsanga

Contact Us: http://scsiscs.org/contact
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D." group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/Online_Sadhu_Sanga.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Online_Sadhu_Sanga/CABSgQwr7oX%3Do7T4c%2BrK0bf2ud2RckCvZTtwMSjCtQYAiQATUMw%40mail.gmail.com.

Kushal Shah

May 21, 2018, 6:17:43 AM5/21/18
On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 7:51 PM, Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 17 May 2018, at 05:33, Kushal Shah <atma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All, I would like to share with you a very thought provoking interview with Judea Pearl, winner of Turing award for the invention of Bayesian networks:

It is not too bad for the idea, except when he says that science confuse X causes Y and Y causes X (corrupted politicians, antisemites, racists and prohibitionists... do that all the time, but science is, on the contrary extremely cautious on this).

Here the author (Judea) was not referring to science in general but only to mathematical equations. Scientists may be able to differentiate between these concepts, but machines cannot since they are purely based on mathematics. This is a very important point since the goal of AI is to make machines autonomous in many fields of human activity.