Siegfried and Shyamala RE: [Sadhu Sanga] More to Siegfried Bleher

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Jun 19, 2017, 4:55:27 PM6/19/17
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Siegfried and Shyamala,

Thanks for the interesting comments. It is good to note that ancient Indian wisdom has some relevance to the philosophical issues raised by modern physics. But the question of consciousness and quantum mechanics is very intriguing. Currently human observers are present when observing (subjective) quantum phenomena. But there was a time when sentient objects were not present in the universe and still quantum processes went on just like today! You might argue that ultimate consciousness, Brahman was present all the time!!

Best Regards,

Kashyap

Jun 19, 2017, 7:55:49 PM6/19/17
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Kashyap,

We can certainly construct a narrative for the history of the universe up to the present, but will such a history not always be colored by the biases of our own consciousness?  How can we imagine a time when sentience was not present, when the imagining itself is a function of sentience?  But then, maybe whatever it is that was or is present apart from us is none other than what emerges from the right kind of inquiry; or it is as you say, that ultimate consciousness (Brahman) has always been present.

All the best,

Serge Patlavskiy

Jun 20, 2017, 4:11:40 AM6/20/17
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
-
Kashyap Vasavada <vasa...@iupui.edu> on June 19, 2017 wrote:
>Currently human observers are present when observing
>(subjective) quantum phenomena.
.
[S.P.] First. There is a difference between "observer" and "subject of cognitive activity". The role of an observer is in recording the events. So, any physical device (and natural sense organ) may play (or perform) the role of an observer. However, a physical device does not possess consciousness -- it is not able to make sense of the recorded events.
.
As to human, it can play as the role of a passive observer (who just records the events using own sense organs and artificially constructed devices), so the role of performer of cognitive activity which results in making sense of the recorded events. To the point, in certain experiments, even the absence of results/events may make sense for the given researcher.
.
Second. Human observer CANNOT observe quantum phenomena in principle. Quantum phenomena are UNOBSERVABLE. We should stop confusing the audience. In either case, the human as a subject of cognitive activity starts assessing the results of experiments only after the act of measurement is accomplished.
.
Third. The idea of "quantum" pertains not to the physical features of energy, but to ability of a complex system as a whole (like an atom) to absorb/release energy. Energy changes always continuously, but, it is the complex system that is able to absorb/release energy in portions.
.
My approach can explain why this takes place. The case is that the overall (or entropic) state of a complex system (like an atom) depends equally on the activity of three factors simultaneously: on informational factor, on material factor, and on energetic factor. If the overall (or entropic) state of a complex system would depend ONLY on the activity of energetic factor, the complex system would absorb/release energy in a continuous manner.
.
With respect,
Serge Patlavskiy

Jun 21, 2017, 7:27:35 AM6/21/17
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
​​
The same facts lead one to conclude that consciousness is universal, and another to conclude that it is not. If an apple falls to the ground, what consciousness is required to make it fall? Moreover, should it be a universal consciousness? Are not laws governing two bodies sufficient to explain their mutual attraction? I believe that behaving under the influence of laws is not an evidence of consciousness, but knowing the behaviour (which is nothing but registering and recalling) is consciousness. Maybe the ultimate lawmaker was God, but this assumption does not help us in the least to explain nature, of which we are part. The President of India puts his signature of assent on all laws, but the man in the street may not be aware of this all the time and even if he is aware it is of little use to him. Where God enters, science exits. Of course, we can explain everything by saying that God or Universal Consciousness (whatever it may be) has caused it. Science consists of all those things that are proved so far, and all other approaches including religion consist of all those things that are not disproved so far. In the good old days of Rishis, they thought that the sun was going round the earth and that too at the behest of God, just to help mortals, as if the only business of the Father of Everything is to protect man. In modern days, we know this is trash. Today's newspapers say that scientists have discovered three planets  additionally in the goldilocks region circling stars similar to ours, and if conditions are similar, life there is highly probable. If men are there in those planets, we should make arrangements to contact them to find out what they think about universal consciousness, because they should be more ancient than our Rishis and Sankaracharyas. Previously we thought we are the only conscious beings in the universe and that God is spending all his time devoting his mind to the problem of how to save his pet creation, namely human beings (so we thought). With the probability of life elsewhere also, poor God has to divide His time among all His children to ward off criticism of favouritism to some of His children.
My feeling is that we should explore nature in a scientific way all the time to extract more of its secrets. Because this method is proving useful. if ultimately it proves a failure and God chides us for wasting time, we can always ask Him for His pardon, because according to our assumption He is full of Mercy and is sure to overlook our mistakes.

----------------------------
Fifth International Conference
Science and Scientist - 2017
August 18—19, 2017
Nepal Pragya Pratisthan, Kathmandu, Nepal
http://scsiscs.org/conference/scienceandscientist/2017

Send a Donation to Support Our Services: http://scienceandscientist.org/donate
(All Indian residents are eligible for tax benefits for their contributions under section 80G of the Income Tax Act)

Report Archives: http://bviscs.org/reports

Why Biology is Beyond Physical Sciences?: http://dx.doi.org/10.5923/j.als.20160601.03

Life and consciousness – The Vedāntic view: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19420889.20

[Message clipped]

Murty Hari

Jun 21, 2017, 9:08:15 AM6/21/17
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Srinivasa Rao Kankipati,

You are very right that no event that we observe via senses, nor any scientific experiment using any sort of material instruments has proven, or can ever prove the existence of universal consciousness or God. Vedanta clearly says so, for example, Kenopanishad. Science explores only that part of reality which is accessible to senses directly, or indirectly.  "Is there reality that is not accessible to senses and whose existence cannot be proved even by logic?" is the question.  Vedanta says yes and also gives some spiritual techniques, which if practiced to perfection allow one to verify the truth of what Vedanta says.  But there can never be a scientific theory or experiment that will prove to a scientist that universal consciousness or God  exists.

Syamala Hari

--
[...]

---