violating laws of nature!

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Jul 21, 2018, 3:35:32 PM7/21/18
to VINOD KUMAR SEHGAL, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Vinod and Kushal,

Suspending or violating laws of nature!!!

OK with me as long as what you are saying is not called science!

I will not take you to court, but police or your doctor may ask you, did you violate any laws of nature?!!

Well, seriously, this is not uncommon for some religious  practitioners. There is a Christian physicist on another blog who argues that resurrection of Christ was so important that God did bend laws of nature temporarily!

As long as you are talking about mind and consciousness, it is fine to assume that there could be different laws. But according to my understanding , in talking about siddhis you are encroaching the domain of physics. You cannot get away with violations of established laws, unless you empirically prove these phenomena. If you prove them  then, physicists will have to rethink about the laws. If you cannot establish siddhis empirically,  question of siddhis will remain  strictly a matter of belief. You are not going to convince anyone who does not already believe in them. Laws of science cannot be discarded when they are inconvenient to your beliefs. All of us use science all day! I hope, I am not excessively blunt!

Best.

Kashyap

Jul 21, 2018, 8:19:23 PM7/21/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kashyap,

Physics is not about finding 'laws of nature', but only mathematical models which can predict results of certain experiments under certain conditions. Anyone who has studied physics seriously knows that all mathematical models have a certain range of validity. It's not good to stretch the models beyond that.

I can understand your insistence on empirical validation, but have already stated that it's only a particular way of verifying knowledge. To say that nothing is valid unless it's empirically tested is again an overstretch.

I see the above as a simple obvious fact which should not require any convincing unless one has certain deep rooted beliefs in the monopoly of physics over matter.

Best,
Kushal.

Kushal Shah @ EECS Dept, IISER Bhopal
http://home.iiserb.ac.in/~kushals

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Jul 22, 2018, 5:15:43 AM7/22/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Kushal,

OK. Let us be fair. Can you give one source which discusses verifiable theory of matter other than science ?  Probably  not Vedas, Upanishads and Puranas, or eastern and western philosophers  although I do have very high respect for all of them  for the issues they deal with. Vinod keeps on mentioning astral bodies, but he himself has to base his beliefs on the descriptions of a select few Swamijis. He cannot verify himself or produce any evidence about them.  In fact one can ask them, let us set aside astral bodies, did they know about fundamental particles such as protons, electrons, quarks etc.? No one will say that their knowledge of matter was anywhere near our current knowledge through science. You will realize that once you give up empirical methods, your choices are reduced to  just beliefs unless you yourself want to go into Samadhi. Again as I said before,  mind and consciousness studies are  different issues.  Science by choice has concentrated on the study of matter so far and has done remarkable job at it.  So let us draw a line at matter!

Best.

kashyap

Kushal Shah

Jul 22, 2018, 7:42:58 AM7/22/18
to Ph.D. Sadhu-Sanga Under the Holy Association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja
Dear Kashyap,

Strictly speaking, science provides only a theory of how matter interacts with itself. It does not provide any theory of matter itself. This is very important distinction that needs to be made. Is there any scientific theory that can describe an electron or photon in its entirety without referring to any interactions?

What Yogic studies say is that all these multitude of particles and their varied interactions are totally irrelevant when we are talking of how matter interacts with consciousness. You are right in saying that Yogic studies say nothing about how matter interacts with itself. That is totally within the purview of science. But consciousness can also exercise control over matter and that is what these siddhis are about. This does not contradict science in any way.

Now how do we verify these siddhis? You are again right in saying that neither me nor anyone else on this group, as far as we know, actually has the capability to demonstrate any of the siddhis mentioned in PYS. But does that mean that we should not believe in these siddhis? No! Whether we believe in a person or not largely depends on that person's character and integrity (and not which university s/he is affiliated with and how many degrees s/he has). This is true in science also. We would hardly make any progress if all scientists had to personally verify all experiments. And when a person of Vivekananda's and Ramakrishna's character and integrity says that the siddhis mentioned in our scriptures exist, we should not discard this idea just like that. We also need not blindly believe in this! An important point here is that a belief in the siddhis is not necessary for making spiritual progress. In fact, some of these siddhis are considered to be obstacles in the spiritual path and aspirants are strongly advised to turn them away when they arise during deep meditative states.

I am personally neither interested in promoting a belief in the siddhis nor in pursuing them myself. I will only object when someone discards them without trying to properly understand. Even Einstein could not come to terms with Quantum Mechanics all his life. And so, I do understand that even the most rational people can have deep rooted beliefs which can prevent them from appreciating various aspects of reality. Yogic studies are lot more deeper and cannot be understood unless we are willing to radically change our perspective.

Best,
Kushal.

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Jul 22, 2018, 6:27:46 PM7/22/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Kushal,

KS: “I am personally neither interested in promoting a belief in the siddhis nor in pursuing them myself. I will only object when someone discards them without trying to properly understand.”

KV: OK. One reason I raised the question of siddhis is that you and Ram started discussing Anima etc. I promise  not to discard siddhis without trying to understand. BTW whether they are important or harmful for Yogis to advance in their sadhana,  physicists  will be interested in verifications, because some of the claims like flying with your own power, Psychokinesis etc. are   encroaching world of physics!!  I have also high respect for PYS. But  statements other than siddhis in PYS like Ashtang Yoga are about good behavior, meditations etc.  and physics has as yet nothing to say about them. So please list the siddhis in PYS you believe and then we can discuss one by one. Otherwise these will be just like mythological stories. Some people believe and some do not, There is no way to settle truth except trust in Maharishi Patanjali.

KS: “Strictly speaking, science provides only a theory of how matter interacts with itself. It does not provide any theory of matter itself. This is very important distinction that needs to be made. Is there any scientific theory that can describe an electron or photon in its entirety without referring to any interactions? “

KV: As you very well, typically science is  interested in understanding “how” rather than “why” The latter leads to philosophical debates. Whatever we know about electrons or photons is enough most of the time to understand empirical results. That is the whole purpose of science and its success shows all around our society. It has admittedly not succeed yet to understand consciousness, but so also there are problems with concepts of dark matter, dark energy, unification of forces etc.  But that is the nature of science. It is great that science books are never closed!

KS: “You are again right in saying that neither me nor anyone else on this group, as far as we know, actually has the capability to demonstrate any of the siddhis mentioned in PYS. But does that mean that we should not believe in these siddhis? No! Whether we believe in a person or not largely depends on that person's character and integrity (and not which university s/he is affiliated with and how many degrees s/he has). This is true in science also. We would hardly make any progress if all scientists had to personally verify all experiments.”

KV: This is not right. It is true that if someone has established high credentials in some scientific area, other scientists do pay attention to his/her statements in some different areas. This is as it should be. But this does not result in automatic uncritical acceptance. The famous example is Einstein’s opposition to QM. That was proven mostly wrong and physicists kept on going with or without Einstein!. Even now physicists are constantly looking for some failure of theory of relativity, though much of it seems to be right. Again the problem lies in non-availability of empirical testing for the claims made by yogis. That is why there is a movement to examine brains of meditators by fMRI etc. Whether that gives any useful result or not remains to be seen. We want to break the logjam, status quo  which has been going on for thousands of years!

KS: “But consciousness can also exercise control over matter and that is what these siddhis are about.”

KV: Verification of this statement is the whole issue. We need believable proof of these!

Best.

kashyap

Jul 23, 2018, 6:21:27 AM7/23/18
to Ph.D. Sadhu-Sanga Under the Holy Association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja
Dear Kashyap,

There are several statements in your email that require a deeper analysis from a slightly different perspective. I have taken related statements from different paragraphs of your email and put them together.

KV: Some people believe and some do not, There is no way to settle truth except trust in Maharishi Patanjali.
KV: Verification of this statement is the whole issue. We need believable proof of these!
KV: It is true that if someone has established high credentials in some scientific area, other scientists do pay attention to his/her statements in some different areas. This is as it should be. But this does not result in automatic uncritical acceptance.

In my opinion, the three most important words in the statements above are "truth", "belief" and "verification". How do we know that the statements in PYS are true? How can we verify them? How can we believe them without verifying? I fully agree with you that we can't be sure about the truth value of PYS statements without verifying them ourselves. And that is what Yoga also demands from all its aspirants: Do not fully believe in anything unless you have verified it yourself. The last phrase yourself is very important here! Unlike science, Yoga requires all its aspirants to verify its claims on their own without actually taking anyone else's verification. A scientist in one university may believe in the correctness of Quantum Mechanics or any other theory if 10 reputed labs of other universities have verified it experimentally. But Yoga would say that it does not matter even if a million other individuals have verified these statements in ancient or modern times. If you want to properly know the Yogic truths, you must verify all of them yourself. Hence, there is no need to apriori believe in the siddhis, but we should not discard them either (as you now agree with). Those who are interested in understanding them better need to undertake the appropriate sadhana under proper guidance.

This issue of verification you have raised is actually becoming problematic in science also these days, as you know very well. There is lot of emphasis on "reproducible research" since many labs these days come under publication pressure and end up reporting data without proper verification. And with the coming decades, it will become all the more problematic since more advanced theories will require that much more advanced equipment which will not be readily available everywhere. Yoga does not face this problem since all its theories and predictions can be verified by an individual without needing any advanced equipment except the body-mind complex. But of course, this does not mean that Yoga is easy. It requires many decades or even lifetimes of intense sadhana under proper guidance. So the main point I am making is that the issue of verification you have raised is extremely important, but it cannot be settled without undergoing the required sadhana. And asking for empirical verification of PYS statements is totally meaningless, since they are about interaction of consciousness with matter and not of matter with itself.

Hence, instead of discussing how to empirically verify the PYS statements, we should discuss the methods proposed in PYS. I would certainly be very much interested in discussing them one by one!

KV: Whatever we know about electrons or photons is enough most of the time to understand empirical results.
KV: Typically science is  interested in understanding “how” rather than “why”.

All that we have in science are theories for how an electron/photon interacts with other particles. There is no scientific theory of an electron or photon itself! These two are very different things. Interestingly, Yoga is also mainly interested in "how" and the "why" questions are dealt with in Advaita/Sankhya/etc. The primary difference between Science and Yoga is of the kind of interactions being studied. Science studies Matter-Matter interactions, whereas Yoga studies Consciousness-Matter and Consciousness-Consciousness interactions. So obviously, the tools that are useful in one domain are unlikely to be useful in the other.

Best,
Kushal.

David Marjanovic

Jul 23, 2018, 11:10:05 AM7/23/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Gesendet: Sonntag, 22. Juli 2018 um 22:41 Uhr
Von: "Vasavada, Kashyap V" <vasa...@iupui.edu>

> [...]
>
> KV: As you very well, typically science is  interested in understanding “how” rather than “why” The latter leads to philosophical debates.

This is a very widespread misunderstanding (among scientists themselves, too). In reality, all "why" questions are in fact "how" or even "what" questions.

"Why does this happen" is the same as "how does this process work", "what influenced this process", "what are the limits on this process", "what causes the limits", "what prevents other things from happening instead" and so on.

How? Why? Advaita.

> KS: “You are again right in saying that neither me nor anyone else on this group, as far as we know, actually has the capability to demonstrate any of the siddhis mentioned in PYS. But does that mean that we should not believe in these siddhis? No! Whether we believe in a person or not largely depends on that person's character and integrity (and not which university s/he is affiliated with and how many degrees s/he has). This is true in science also. We would hardly make any progress if all scientists had to personally verify all experiments.”
> KV: This is not right.

Indeed it isn't. If we esteem a person's character and integrity highly, we will accord a low probability to the hypothesis that that person is lying or is saying random stuff that seems to sound good at the moment, and conversely a high probability to the hypothesis that that person is telling us their experiences/observations honestly. This has _no_ influence on the probability that that person is simply honestly mistaken.

I just spent ten years on finding and correcting 4,200 mistakes – unsystematic, accidental mistakes – in a dataset compiled by two colleagues whom I esteem greatly. I already have two papers on the same kinds of mistakes made by several other esteemed colleagues, and now I'm working on the next. In the course of all this, I've also found mistakes in my own work. Humans make mistakes, that's just how it is.

> Again the problem lies in non-availability of empirical testing for the claims made by yogis. That is why there is a movement to examine brains of meditators by fMRI etc. Whether that gives any useful result or not remains to be seen. We want to break the logjam, status quo  which has been going on for thousands of years!

I agree. Test everything, and test it again.

Kushal Shah

Jul 24, 2018, 4:46:55 AM7/24/18
On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 8:39 PM David Marjanovic <david.ma...@gmx.at> wrote:
If we esteem a person's character and integrity highly, we will accord a low probability to the hypothesis that that person is lying or is saying random stuff that seems to sound good at the moment, and conversely a high probability to the hypothesis that that person is telling us their experiences/observations honestly. This has _no_ influence on the probability that that person is simply honestly mistaken.

The last assertion above could be true in general, but not with respect to the field of expertise of that person. So if a physicist says something about chemistry, s/he could be honestly mistaken with the same probability as an economist. But a physicist is likely to have a very low probability of being honestly mistaken about physics itself. Similarly, it is possible for a Yogi to be honestly mistaken about physics with a high probability, but not about Yoga itself.

Best,
Kushal.

NYIKOS, PETER

Jul 24, 2018, 10:58:06 AM7/24/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kashyap,

That Christian physicist could hardly have said anything else about the Resurrection and still been speaking *qua* Christian. He might have personal doubts, but the official view of many denominations, including the Roman Catholic Church and the various Orthodox Churches is that, indeed, God performed a miracle that violated the known laws of physics.

It is quite true, of course, that all reports of miracles need to be verified empirically, otherwise they are simply matters of belief. In canonizing saints, the Roman Catholic Church requires at least one miracle -- usually one of healing a disease believed to be incurable -- to be attributed to the intercession of that saint to God.

In fact, until Pope Francis waived the requirement of a second miracle in the case of the late Pope John XXIII, it was the universal requirement for centuries to have two miracles, not just one. That is why the canonization of Father Damien of Molokai was delayed for so long after his death, despite widespread belief that he deserved to be a saint just on the basis of the heroic sacrifices he made for the leper colony at Molokai.

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Dept. of Mathematics
University of South Carolina
http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

Jul 24, 2018, 10:58:06 AM7/24/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Kushal, physicists advance hypotheses, about which they could easily be mistaken. But an honest physicist will acknowledge that these are hypotheses, while a dishonest one might not.

Of course, physics is a highly varied field, and a physicist specializing in optics need not have a lower probability than a chemist of being mistaken about a matter concerning fluid dynamics. Is Yoga not divided into specialties?

Peter Nyikos

Kushal Shah

Jul 24, 2018, 11:50:56 AM7/24/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Peter, it's true that Yoga is also divided into specialities. In this discussion. I was specifically referring to Kriya/Raja Yoga and it's practitioners.

Best,
Kushal.

Kushal Shah @ EECS Dept, IISER Bhopal
http://home.iiserb.ac.in/~kushals

John Jay Kineman

Jul 24, 2018, 12:15:20 PM7/24/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Indeed it is the standard of western modern science to doubt a claim without empirical testing. However people are conditioned to ignore the fact that experience is empirical evidence... the issue centers on method and frequency, sometimes insisting on repeatability and independent or blind confirmation. The problem is that the strictest criteria eliminate all but mechanical behavior. Novel occurrences, which characterize mental experiences, are characteristically unique. Does that mean they didnt happen?  No. It means they are not entailed with the general ambiance but rather with a subSet...they are system dependent.  Such phenomena are what we want to study.  So much more careful and conditional testing is required to recreate conditions, which may include the belief conditions of participants.

John

John Jay Kineman

Jul 24, 2018, 5:19:36 PM7/24/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
For example, if you test for the effect on health of going to a Catholic Mass, it could be that devout Christians will show a positive effect and others will not. So the result is conditional, not general, and dependent on prior belief. But it may be real and empirically confirmed. Life is all about establishing contextual dependencies.

John