Re: Diamat is unscientific and the eDAM is fully scientific

Ram Lakhan Pandey Vimal

Jan 6, 2018, 8:30:06 AM1/6/18
to BT APJ, From the Chief Editor, J. Integr. Neurosci., IMR Press, VINOD KUMAR SEHGAL, Leuvy Cacha, Robert Boyer, Vivekanand Pandey Vimal, BVKSastry(Gmail), Stanley A. KLEIN, sisir roy, Murty Hari, Joseph McCard, G Srinivasan, Prateek Budhwar, Paul Werbos, Asingh2384, Online Sadhu Sanga, Kashyap V. Vasavada

Poznanski 1/5/18

For qualia to emerge there needs to be large number of nonlocal functional interactions that can be integrated. From this emerge qualia as a teleofunctionality vector potential (cf. magnetic vector potential in homogenous matter, like semi-conductors). It is a kind of 'quantum' force that causally interacts through energy exchange with quantum solitons as phonons and this gets transmitted via electro-solitons along protein elements.  At this step information of the real world is tainted by intrinsic or active information from the quantum realm or I prefer to call it sub-molecular since it is not pure quantum state but a quantum-like macro state. Consciousness is the endogenous EM field at the sub-molecular level. At the classical realm the electric field dominates and subjectivity does not exist. What exists is the epistemological object that has been tainted by subjectivity. Again there is no pure subjectivity nor is there a pure quantum state in the brain since there is a nonreductive physicalist ontology in place. Ordered water surrounding the molecular protein ions is where this quantum-like state forms and subjectivity emerges from the integration of active information through teleosemantics. Bohm did mention the classical/non-classical divide as representing the objectivity/subjectivity dichotomy in his work with Hiley.

I hope I didn't claim that qualia are related to quantum theory. What I thought I said is that qualia and quantum theory are the two great mysteries.   I guess maybe I implied that maybe they are connected. That is wishful thinking." Qualia are a phenomenological term and should not be used in science.  Quantum theory? Can you give us a heads up on what particular theory you mean? What is related is not a quantum theory but the sub molecular level to the molecular level. If we use reductionist materialism then sub-molecular is atomic level which is physics. But this is the problem!!! We need to have an integrative model of brain functioning. The sub-molecular level is not classical it is quantum-like and therefore I see no issues with the claim that subjectivity correlates with the sub-molecular level in the brain's hierarchy. This is the essence!!!  It is a nonreductive materialist framework based on reality not theory.

Qualia are NOT the endogenous EM field.  Consciousness is. Mechanization of consciousness requires the integration of nonlocal functions in heterogeneous matter (cf animate) between non-classical and classical worlds. Silicon chips or semi-conductors will not yield sentience because there are no nonlocal interactions. They are all local.

[Pereira?: "However, even if 'qualia' find a quantum theoretical explanation, the emerging theory is still a representation of reality, not a lived experience (presentation). I have proposed a theory of consciousness based on feelings, not on representations; but many of my colleagues claim that consciousness is based on representations, and attempt to reproduce it artificially by means of symbolic operations in machines, etc.etc  - you are not alone!"]

You are moving subjectivity to sainthood and purity. All these are wrong notions of priests and gurus. Yes, subjectivity is a mental representation which we define as teleosemantics.

[Pereira?: “Quantum mechanics is a mathematical representation of micro reality, not a lived experience of reality. This is quite obvious, since we do not see, hear, smell, taste, etc. the particles. Or forces or Schrodinger cats? If we choose not to try to understand first person experience, we weaken ourselves in that realm.”]

This is your mistake. The particles at the atomic level are integrated in brain functioning. They play a major role in deciding why you like chocolate and not vanilla ice cream. It is because you are not aware of this non-classical world you seem oblivious to why you are having such raw subjectivity experiences. It has a lot to do with Freud's theory placed on an integrative physiological/biophysical plate. We are moving in the right direction. Diamat rules!

Pereira 1/5/18

When interpreting qualia as an EM field, you are assuming reductive materialism. For most non-reductive philosophers, qualia are lived experiences in the domain of interaction of brain, body and environment, generating the "what it is like to be" (or feeling) experienced in the first-person perspective (in other words, qualia require an experiencer; they are not the physical-chemical quality alone). As Maturana said, "all that is said is said by someone". I paraphrase it as "all that is experienced is experienced by someone". In this case a theory of consciousness cannot be limited to the quality that is experienced, but must also cover the mechanism by which this quality is felt by the experiencer. All too complicated!

Vimal

Roman’s emergence is voodoo-ism because it is just a jargon and its needs unpacking as done in  (Vimal, 2013). He does not elaborate if his emergence is weak, medium, or strong one.

I do not see that he uses the Yājñavalkya-Bādarāyaņa-Aristotle’s concept of matter, where matter has the potentiality for subjective experiences (SEs). Therefore, I assume he uses science’s definition of matter (by default), i.e., the Kaāda-Democritus’ concept of matter, which implies that matter is non-experiential and non-mental. If this is correct, then the e-gap remains.

On the other hand, if he uses the non-scientific definition (matter has potentiality of SEs), then his framework is not materialism anymore; instead, it is a version of dual-aspect monism (implicitly), which he claims bogus, meaning his framework is bogus. Now he must decide which concept of matter he wants to use: scientific or non-scientific.

I agree with Alfredo and Maturana; we need SEs as well as experiencer; both are irreducible and fundamental; Roman rejects that they are fundmental.

To sum up, Roman’s framework either has e-gap or is bogus (his word)!! In addition, his framework is unscientific unless he clearly proposes a testable experiment which has ability to reject it.

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Rām

Rām Lakhan Pāndey Vimal, Ph.D.

Amarāvati-Hīrāmai Professor (Research)

Vision Research Institute, Physics, Neuroscience, & Consciousness Research Dept.

25 Rita Street, Lowell, MA 01854 USA

Ph: +1 978 954 7522; eFAX: +1 440 388 7907

rlpv...@yahoo.co.inhttp://sites.google.com/site/rlpvimal/Home

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ram_Lakhan_Pandey_Vimal

Researched at University of Chicago and Harvard Medical Schools

On Friday 5 January 2018, 5:32:42 PM GMT-5, BT APJ <alfredo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Alfredo

Dear Alfredo,

Thanks. I have one query.

Pereira

The hydro-ionic wave is related to sentience, a basic modality of consciousness that appears in all multicellular organisms, beginning with plants. A brain is not needed for sentience. Of course TAM is different from Roman's Diamat, but we agree on the physiological substrate. Feelings cannot exist without matter because they are the effect (or affect) of information on matter.

Vimal

As per Wikipedia (as of 12 Dec. 2017 with minor modification), “Sentience is the capacity to feelperceive or experienc e subjectively. Eighteenth- century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience). In modern Western philosophy, sentience is the ability to experience sensations (known in philosophy of mind as "qualia"). In Eastern philosophy, sentience is a metaphysical quality of all things that require respect and care. The concept is central to the philosophy of animal rights because sentience is necessary for the ability to suffer, and thus is held to confer certain rights. […] In the philosophy of consciousnesssentience  can refer to the ability of any entity to have subjective perceptual experiences, or as some philosophers refer to them, "qualia". This is distinct from other aspects of the mind and consciousness, such as creativityintelligences apienceself-awareness, and intentionality (the ability to have thoughts about something). Sentience is a minimalistic way of defining consciousness, which otherwise commonly and collectively describes sentience plus other characteristics of the mind. Some philosophers, notably Colin McGinn, believe that sentience will never be understood, a position known as "new mysterianism". They do not deny that most other aspects of consciousness are subject to scientific investigation but they argue that subjective experiences will never be explained; i.e., sentience is the only aspect of consciousness that can't be explained. Other philosophers (such as Daniel Dennett, who also argues that non-human animals are not sentient) disagree, arguing that all aspects of consciousness will eventually be explained by science. […] According to the theory of ideasthesia, a sentient system has to have the capability to categorise and to create concepts. Empirical evidence suggests that sentience about stimuli is closely related to the process of extracting the meaning of the stimuli. How one understands the stimuli determines how one experiences them. […] Eastern religions including HinduismBuddhismSikhism, and Jainism recognise non- humans as sentient beings. In Jainism and Hinduism, this is closely related to the concept of ahimsa, nonviolence toward other beings.”

However, I guess, by the term ‘consciousness’ Roman means SE without impurity, whereas by ‘sentience’, he means SE with impurity. Impurity = contamination in pure consciousness with the matter.  In other words, sentience = SE emerges from or is identical with matter (such as a brain) as materialism proposes.

What is the definition of your use of the term “sentience” and how does it differ from SEs?

Do you mean to say that a brain is not needed for sentience, but a brain is needed for feelings (SEs, consciousness)? If this is true, then self-aware, self-referral, and self-conscious CC (cosmic consciousness) or Sehgal’s manifested consciousness (Purusha, OOO-God) (who are brainless) from very beginning must be rejected. The potentiality of SEs in the primal entity to actuality of a specific SE in us is the reality. What is your comment on this?

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Rām

------------------------------ ----------------------------

Rām Lakhan Pāndey Vimal, Ph.D.

Amarāvati-Hīrāmai Professor (Research)

Vision Research Institute, Physics, Neuroscience, & Consciousness Research Dept.

25 Rita Street, Lowell, MA 01854 USA

Ph: +1 978 954 7522; eFAX: +1 440 388 7907

rlpv...@yahoo.co.inhttp:// sites.google.com/site/ rlpvimal/Home

https://www.researchgate.net/ profile/Ram_Lakhan_Pandey_ Vimal

Researched at University of Chicago and Harvard Medical Schools

On Friday 5 January 2018, 1:31:22 PM GMT-5, Ram Lakhan Pandey Vimal <rlpv...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

Thanks Kashyap.

Vasavada

Dear Ram and Roman,

I have been reading your debates, furious (!!) at times. Without weighing in who is right, let me add something.

Roman, if you want to be taken out of this list then write to the editors. None of us has the power to take you off the list. Otherwise do just as most of us do for junk mail. Delete without reading them!

Now about science: If I understand,  Ram’s framework is quite general. He may be taking support from Indian spiritual  Scriptures, but he uses quantum mechanical ideas of states and expansion in eigenstates etc.. In that case his formalism may be compatible with any molecular basis (Roman’s, Penrose-Hameroff’s, Morrison’s , Stapp’s and dozens of others).  He also may not mind the process, electromagnetic or otherwise. Ram, please correct me if I am wrong.

On the other hand Roman insists that only his mechanism , bound water molecules (ions) and electromagnetic pathways is correct. That may be correct. But scientists would want an experimental confirmation.

Also quoting from the other e-mail I recently wrote” On the other hand controversy is always good for science in general in the long run. One would hope that the discussions would be civil and not  like cats and dogs' fight!!

Vimal

I agree with you that the final judge to reject a framework is the empirical subjective and objective evidence. We cannot reject any framework; rather evidence rejects or maintains a specific framework. Therefore, we must provide testable experiments that have ability to reject our own frameworks; this is the main requirement for practicing good real science; otherwise, a framework selection is very hard just based on logic, which can be considered as pseudo-science.

I have provided such experiments for the eDAM in Section 3.2 of (Vimal, 2015g), which I like to make better so critical comments are most welcome. Similarly, Roman should provide such type of experiment, but he is unable to do so and still want his DiaMat scientific by talking loudly and by force, which is an irrational behaviour.

Of course, I do not mind the process, electromagnetic field such CEMI, hydro-ionic field, or otherwise. I think materialistic models are good for physical aspect. To link and address structure and function, there are many neuroscience models: (i) the classical axonal-dendritic sub-pathway for neuro-computation (Crick & Koch, 1998; Damasio, 1999; Litt, Eliasmith, Kroona, Weinstein, & Thagarda, 2006; Steriade, McCormick, & Sejnowski, 1993) and neural Darwinism (Edelman, 1993, 2003) and the classical sub-pathway related to consciousness electromagnetic information field (Cemi field) theory (McFadden, 2002a, 2002b, 2006),  (ii) the quantum dendritic-dendritic sub-pathway for quantum-computation (Hameroff & Penrose, 1998), (iii) astro-glia-neuronal transmission (Pereira Jr., 2007), (iv) (a) the sub-pathway related to extracellular field, gaseous diffusion (Poznanski, 2002), or global volume transmission in the gray matter as fields of neural activity (Poznanski, 2009) and (b) the sub-pathway related to local extrasynaptic signaling between fine distal dendrites of cortical neurons (Poznanski, 2009), and (v) the sub-pathway related to information transmission via soliton propagation (Davia, 2006; Vimal & Davia, 2008).

However, creating SEs out of non-experiential matter (the Kaāda-Democritus’ concept) has well-known Levine’s explanatory gap (e-gap). If we assume that matter has potential for SEs (Yājñavalkya-Bādarāyaņa- Aristotle’s concept) then it is no more materialism; it is a version of dual-aspect monism; but we need to understand where they originally come from.

Roman accepts the latter but proposes SEs originate at molecular level. I (and perhaps also Alfredo) propose they are potentially inherent in the primal entity and then actualize in living entities with various degrees, but in us the manifestation is much higher at wakeful conscious state and highest at Samādhi state (in my view).

Our (Roman vs. mine plus Alfredo) main difference is that at what level SEs are inherent. Roman thinks that potentially of SEs inherent at all levels including primal level is incorrect, but then question remains where from SEs come from at molecular level (the major problem, raised by Vinod ji).

Another difference is that he misleads that DiaMat is still materialism while accepting potentiality of SEs in matter. In my view, if DiaMat accepts the potentiality of SEs in matter then it is a version of dual-aspect monism, not materialism. He tricks the materialists by hiding this fact so that he can publish his article in materialism based scientific journals. In other words, he is practicing a version of dual-aspect monism (because of our (Alfredo and mine) teaching of multi-aspect monism over 2 years), but calling it bogus; instead he claims that his framework is based on materialism (where matter inherently has no potential for SEs, i.e., Kaāda-Democritus’ concept of matter used by modern science). In this sense, he is not an honest researcher. However, I consider it a minor problem, which he can fix it easily.

In my view, Roman is irrational in this sense because he is unable to address these questions and uses objectionable and stressful language. He must STOP using such words and behave properly in a group discussion to make it pleasant. We discuss for pleasure, not for pain and stress. Therefore, humility and compassion towards each other are necessary and rudeness should be avoided.

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Rām

------------------------------ ----------------------------

Rām Lakhan Pāndey Vimal, Ph.D.

Amarāvati-Hīrāmai Professor (Research)

Vision Research Institute, Physics, Neuroscience, & Consciousness Research Dept.

25 Rita Street, Lowell, MA 01854 USA

Ph: +1 978 954 7522; eFAX: +1 440 388 7907

rlpv...@yahoo.co.inhttp:// sites.google.com/site/ rlpvimal/Home

https://www.researchgate.net/ profile/Ram_Lakhan_Pandey_ Vimal

Researched at University of Chicago and Harvard Medical Schools

On Friday 5 January 2018, 12:54:42 PM GMT-5, Paul Werbos <paul....@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 12:38 PM, BT APJ <alfredo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Paul and Roman,

Any knowledge starts from the first-person perspective (FPP), but science moves beyond this perspective into a an intersubjective testable representation of reality.
Yes. I hope I have not said anything which gives an impression of disagreeing with that, though I think of it more as science BUILDING on the first person consciousness, not moving away exactly. It is like adding a floor to the building. Poetry and music do the same.

While in the FPP we have "presentations" (lived experiences) of reality, in science we have "representations" of reality (using symbols, numbers, images, etc.).

Here I disagree. In understanding our first person experience, we certainly can use words and mathematics.

Quantum mechanics is a mathematical representation of micro reality, not a lived experience of reality. This is quite obvious, since we do not see, hear, smell, taste, etc. the particles.

Or forces or Schrodinger cats? If we choose not to try to understand first person experience, we weaken ourselves in that realm.

University of Ireland

Jan 7, 2018, 5:03:43 PM1/7/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com, BT APJ, From the Chief Editor, J. Integr. Neurosci., IMR Press, VINOD KUMAR SEHGAL, Leuvy Cacha, Robert Boyer, Vivekanand Pandey Vimal, BVKSastry(Gmail), Stanley A. KLEIN, sisir roy, Murty Hari, Joseph McCard, G Srinivasan, Prateek Budhwar, Paul Werbos, Asingh2384, Kashyap V. Vasavada
There is continual reference on this list to J. Integr. Neurosci.,
which many of us published with

Yet we find this at http://www.worldscientific.com/worldscinet/jin ;

"Announcement
Commencing Volume 16, World Scientific Publishing has ceased the
publication of this journal."

This is bad news, if true. Is Roman looking for a new publisher and can we help?

On 1/5/18, 'Ram Lakhan Pandey Vimal' via Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy
association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D.
<Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Send a Donation to Support Our Services:
> http://scienceandscientist.org/donate
> (All Indian residents are eligible for tax benefits for their contributions
> under section 80G of the Income Tax Act)
>
> Report Archives: http://bviscs.org/reports
>
> Why Biology is Beyond Physical Sciences?:
> http://dx.doi.org/10.5923/j.als.20160601.03
>
> Life and consciousness – The Vedāntic view:
> http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19420889.2015.1085138
>
> Harmonizer: http://scienceandscientist.org/harmonizer
>
> Darwin Under Siege: http://scienceandscientist.org/Darwin
>
> Princeton Bhakti Vedanta Institute: http://bviscs.org
>
> Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Institute: http://scsiscs.org
>
> Sadhu-Sanga Blog: http://mahaprabhu.net/satsanga
>
> Contact Us: http://scsiscs.org/contact
> ---
> "Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D."

Ram Lakhan Pandey Vimal

Jan 8, 2018, 4:04:40 AM1/8/18
to From the Chief Editor, J. Integr. Neurosci., IMR Press, BT APJ, VINOD KUMAR SEHGAL, Robert Boyer, Vivekanand Pandey Vimal, BVKSastry(Gmail), Stanley A. KLEIN, sisir roy, Murty Hari, Joseph McCard, G Srinivasan, Prateek Budhwar, Paul Werbos, Asingh2384, Kashyap V. Vasavada, Online Sadhu Sanga

1. Sehgal: Consciousness at the mind and brain level is not an emergent phenomenon. Consciousness at the mind and brain levels manifests from the primordial CC level. Whatever hydro-ionic waves are observed in the brain are due to the mediation by the brain in the process of the manifestation of consciousness at the brain from CC.

Poznanski: This is cosmic consciousness at its best. What satisfaction do priests and gurus get at misleading the layperson or the population?  If you look at the Catholic Church in Europe one would say that keeping people in darkness was part of their sick agenda to the masses. Those that have given light have been the scientists e.g. Pasteur, Copernicus. Yes the darkness remains in this field of consciousness. These people prey on the ignorance of the masses keeping them in the dark. Well, not for much longer! Alfredo, I have read again your paper in quantum biosystems on the "quantum-like conscious protectorate"  You give a good definition of what is a protectorate and how to test the hypothesis with lasers. Very good. However in the last part of the paper your demons are showing Alfredo. Who are you Alfredo? A scientist or a bogus maverick?  This is what Alfredo wrote: "I disagree with those who understand that consciousness has a biological nature, since biological constraints are necessary to establish the right kind of initial and boundary conditions  for consciousness to merge from an inorganic medium". Alfredo, who are you? Explain yourself!  I trusted you and you are a "cosmic consciousness" freak?

Vimal: Poznanski must understand that there are four groups of metaphysical foundational frameworks, which, in my view, partially elaborate different aspects of the fundamental truth, in analogy to the parable of the blind men and an elephant. In this sense, all frameworks are respectable and opponents should not be bullied until empirical evidence are available.

The cosmic consciousness (CC), in my view, can be considered as a part of 3 metaphysics:

(I) Sehgal’s theist eastern non-interactive dualistic SAnkhya, which has two independent non-interacting primal entities: (a) manifested cosmic consciousness (OOO-God, Purusha) and (b) Moola Prakriti (physical bodies, astral bodies, and causal bodies). This is in analogy to western Catesian Interactive Substance Dualism (ISD).

(II) The CC in Advaita (in anlogy to Idealism) is the fundamental attributeless aspectless Brahman (primal entity) from which Purusha and Moola Prakriti are derived; it is close to Neutral Monism. Stapp calls it Global Mind and claims that it is dual-aspect idealism.

(III) The extended Dual-Aspect Monism (eDAM)’s (a) atheist Universal Potential Consciousness as the mental aspect of the unmanifested state of Unfied Information Field with information (UIF: primal entity/field, dual-aspect Brahman) and (b) Physical Unified Field (PUF) as its inseparable physical aspect.

In the Triple Aspect Monism (TAM) framework, it is primal energy field (PEF) that has 3 aspects: matter, information, and consciousness. Perhaps, TAM’s PEF = eDAM’s UIF. They are middle way between idealism/dualism and materialism.

GS’ SAnkhya is an atheist framework and is a scientific mathematical interpretation of original atheist Kapilamuni’s SAnkhya, where unitless ratio method is used in its mathematical derivation. Purusha (experiencer) surrounds Prakriti as if one could interpret it close to a version of dual-aspect monism or one could also interpret it as materialism.

(IV) Materialism is the 4th metaphysics, in which non-experiential non-mental matter is the only fundamental field from which somehow mind and subjective experiences (SEs) arise. Poznanski’s DiaMat (Dilectical Materialism) framework is a version of materialism. Here, matter does not have potentiality for SEs, therefore, (Levine, 1983)’s explanatory gap remains. Dennett’s view is that SEs are illusion. On the other hand, as per idealism, matter-in-itself is illusion (Kastrup, 2016).

Levine, J. (1983). Materialism and qualia: The explanatory gap. Pac Philos Quart, 64, 354–361.

2. (a) Vimal: You need to read Levine(1983) article for e-gap. This is well-known gap, which all materialists must address. There is no escape.

Poznanaski: Garbage in garbage out!

Vimal: Levine’s e-gap is not garbage; it is well-respected in scientific community especially in philosophy; see Chalmers’ work.

(b) Vimal: Alternatively, limit yourself to structure and function.

Poznanaski: Have not seen my abstract on teleological function. This is an immature reply, Wasting my time responding!

Vimal: Teleology is non-scientific; science’s evolution has no purpose; it is based on randomness, adaptation, and natural selection (“fittest survive”; since religions fits well in society it is still significant; personally I am agnostic). However, I like teleology and anthropic principle even it is unscientific; I have used it in the eDAM. In any case, the e-gap remains because of science’s definition of matter, which is non-mental and non-experiential. The e-gap is: how can you create subjective experiences (SEs) from the non-experiential matter that does not even have a trace of potentiality of SE? Here, teleological function is not going to help you. The fact is that matter, such as brain, has potentiality of SEs; that is why we have SEs; but then it is a version of dual-aspect monism, which you reject it as “bogus”.

(c) Vimal: If want to do research on SEs then eDAM or TAM is the best. Koch and Tononi and many materialists (including me) started considering DAM.

Poznanaski: Koch and Tononi don't have the mathematical prowess to look at the sub-molecular terrain.

Vimal: Mathematics is not going to create SEs; the e-gap will still remain.

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Rām

Rām Lakhan Pāndey Vimal, Ph.D.

Amarāvati-Hīrāmai Professor (Research)

Vision Research Institute, Physics, Neuroscience, & Consciousness Research Dept.

25 Rita Street, Lowell, MA 01854 USA

Ph: +1 978 954 7522; eFAX: +1 440 388 7907

rlpv...@yahoo.co.inhttp://sites.google.com/site/rlpvimal/Home

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ram_Lakhan_Pandey_Vimal

Researched at University of Chicago and Harvard Medical Schools

On Saturday 6 January 2018, 6:49:16 AM GMT-5, From the Chief Editor, J. Integr. Neurosci., IMR Press <pozn...@biomedical.utm.my> wrote:

You need to read Levine(1983) article for e-gap. This is well-known gap, which all materialists must address. There is no escape.----> Garbage in garbage out!

Alternatively, limit yourself to structure and function.--->  Have not seen my abstract on teleological function. this is an immature reply , Wasting my time responding!

If want to do research on SEs then eDAM or TAM is the best. Koch and Tononi and many materialists (including me) started considering DAM.--->  Koch and Tononi don't have the mathematical prowess to look at the sub-molecular terrain.

Now Ram,  do us all a favor and remove me from this list. It is a broken record. I use to enjoy it but given the obstinacy of some I don't think I can contribute anything more.

-------

Prof Roman R. Poznanski,

Director of Artificial  Consciousness Laboratory

Department of Clinical Sciences

Faculty of Bioscience and Medical Engineering (FBME)
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Building V01, Block A, 4th Floor, Room 04-50-01
81310 UTM, Skudai, Johor, Malaysia
Tel:  +607-555-8496
Mobile:
+60-14-2347351
Email: p
ozna...@biomedical.utm.my
Websites: http://romanpoznanski.blogspot.com

and

Chief-Editor,
Journal of Integrative Neuroscience

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 5:39 AM, Ram Lakhan Pandey Vimal <rlpv...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
Roman,

You need to read Levine(1983) article for e-gap. This is well-known gap, which all materialists must address. There is no escape.

Alternatively, limit yourself to structure and function.

If want to do research on SEs then eDAM or TAM is the best. Koch and Tononi and many materialists (including me) started considering DAM.

Yes, you should learn TM ; it has helped millions. Bob (Boyer) is expert on TM (transcendental meditation). Bernie (Baars) also practices meditation. He can help you as well. You badly need it, Roman!

You can also visit Hare Rama Hare Krishna temple  or TM center
nearest you.

All the best in your meditation!

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 5, 2018, at 11:54 PM, From the Chief Editor, J. Integr. Neurosci., IMR Press <pozn...@biomedical.utm.my> wrote:

​Ram, I am starting to think less of Levine's e-gap. If Levine assumes some sort of nonphysical vs physical dualism then there is no e-gap. As previously I mentioned 100 times in circlesssssssssssss mentalism is physical and there is no pure subjective experiences.

Stop this time wasting exercise and start doing yoga...your time will be better spent then trying to act scientifically.

-------

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 10:01 PM, Ram Lakhan Pandey Vimal <rlpv...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

[...]

Paul Werbos

Jan 8, 2018, 9:32:42 AM1/8/18
to Ram Lakhan Pandey Vimal, BT APJ, From the Chief Editor, J. Integr. Neurosci., IOS Press, VINOD KUMAR SEHGAL, Leuvy Cacha, Robert Boyer, Vivekanand Pandey Vimal, BVKSastry(Gmail), Stanley A. KLEIN, sisir roy, Murty Hari, Joseph McCard, G Srinivasan, Prateek Budhwar, Asingh2384, Online Sadhu Sanga, Kashyap V. Vasavada
Should we be considering putting a third alternative, neither eDAM nor Diamat on the table? I am in no position to put in so much effort myself today. So please forgive a smaller aspect.

On Jan 5, 2018 11:02 PM, "Ram Lakhan Pandey Vimal" <rlpv...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

Poznanski 1/5/18

For qualia to emerge there needs to be large number of nonlocal functional interactions that can be integrated.

I agree with Roman's comment elsewhere about purity.. but since this sentence is concrete, I respond more concretely to it.

I see no justification for believing that fundamental nonlocal physical interactions are necessary for qualia to emerge.
Caveat: local dynamics can result in nonlocal entropy functions and statistics at a higher aggregafe level, and nonlocality of entropy functions is important to interesting patterns evolving.

I suppose bohm himself was a bit like Wittgenstein, taking opposite viewpoints fiercely at different times in his life. The later Bohm did try to make lemonade out of the lemons of the multiparticle Q potential. But it is not necessary.

Sergio Basbaum

Jan 8, 2018, 11:19:05 AM1/8/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Am I being too naive, or all this is much too internalist?

Shouldn't we understand "consciousness" as a "in between" phenomena? A relational phenomena, just like gravity is a phenomena between masses? Don't we live, after all, in an intersubjective "world"?

After all, there's no consciousness without world.

best from Brazil

--
----------------------------
[...]

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D." group.

Livre de vírus. www.avast.com.

Paul Werbos

Jan 8, 2018, 7:41:41 PM1/8/18
to From the Chief Editor, J. Integr. Neurosci., IOS Press, Ram Lakhan Pandey Vimal, BT APJ, VINOD KUMAR SEHGAL, Leuvy Cacha, Robert Boyer, Vivekanand Pandey Vimal, BVKSastry(Gmail), Stanley A. KLEIN, sisir roy, Murty Hari, Joseph McCard, G Srinivasan, Prateek Budhwar, Asingh2384, Online Sadhu Sanga, Kashyap V. Vasavada
Roman wrote:

​Hi Paul. did we wake you from sleep?

Am not sure how to construe this. Are you saying that enough snoring here might be enough to wake up Ouroboros? Or just that I have not paid 100% attention to all threads on this list? Actually I was surprised to have any internet access at all this week.

Roman: For qualia to emerge there needs to be large number of nonlocal functional interactions that can be integrated.

PW: I see no justification for believing that fundamental nonlocal physical interactions are necessary for qualia to emerge.  Caveat: local dynamics can result in nonlocal entropy functions and statistics at a higher aggregate level, and nonlocality of entropy functions is important to interesting patterns evolving.

Roman: Ok this is physics. I don't disagree. diamat considers teleological functions .

Actually, I should have said a bit more about Bohm II, the Bohm who gave up use of the Q potential as a path to restore Dinsteinian realism after some of use pointed out that Q becomes a function of many dimensions (Fock space) when we try to adapt it directly to QED. He tried to adapt by viewing Q as a kind of nonlocal interaction over Einsteinian space. But that doesn't work because Q itself is variable, just like ψ in ordinary (Deutschian) QED. It is just a backdoor to the multiverse paradigm, a complexity which must be faced up to, unless one has a raducally different approach available.

I also view qualia as we know them (in mundane or spiritual world) at attributes of configurations of "physical" brains -- bearing in mind that dark matter is also physical.

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Jan 9, 2018, 4:38:02 AM1/9/18
to Menas Kafatos, Ram Lakhan Pandey Vimal, Asingh2384, pozn...@biomedical.utm.my, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

Yes we are going in circles!! The confusion about meaning of the words locality and non-locality may be due to a historical accident. Unfortunately Bell in his original paper on entanglement used the word “non-locality” instead of non-factorizability. I agree with Ram and Kafatos.  Currently most physicists agree that in entanglement experiment there is no question of faster than light signals. If the two detectors are at space like separation, you cannot and do not send faster than light (FTL)  signals for getting correlations. As Kafatos says both the observers will get random (though correlated) results when they make measurements. So  you cannot use the correlations to send any signal. Hence there is no violation of SR! The explanation of correlations is not FTL signals. Rather the two systems are described by a joint wave function, psi (r(1), r(2)) which gives correlations. There is no requirement for r(1) and r(2)   to be connected by light signals.

Most  physicists now agree that the word locality should be used for agreement with SR ( no FTL signals). If you use the word non-locality in the context of a joint wave function, it creates confusion as here. The current quantum field theory is called local field theory precisely for that reason. If Avatar Singh wants to have a different theory for light and quantum mechanics that is a different issue. But it has nothing to do with the words local and non-local.

Best Regards.

Kashyap

Jan 9, 2018, 10:53:31 AM1/9/18
to From the Chief Editor, J. Integr. Neurosci., IMR Press, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Roman,

I was referring to Bell type experiments using electrons or photons in inert systems. After extensive experiments and debates over decades, it is clear to most physicists that the observed correlation does not require any FTL signals or for that matter any light signals exchanged between the two systems. Most people mean by the word “local” , agreement with SR (no FTL) as in local field theory. The word non locality has been used by some but one has to be careful. It gives rise to confusion as in the present case. Entanglement is  just correlation, a joint wave function between the two systems.

About consciousness and brain processes, there are hundreds of models. I do not have a pet model. Honestly, I do not know what is going on in the brain about consciousness. My guess is that science has to go a long, long, long way before it understands consciousness. If your model is right , it will win and scientists will surely give you credit for that. In science, the best model has always won. So I do not worry about it. At this point, I do not want to weigh in in your dispute with Ram. I am reading your debates. I hope the debates will be in the civilized form! Whatever model is successful has to agree with the established physics. If your model requires non FTL signals between correlated systems then you will have to prove by experimental means. Bell type experiments have been done by separating systems which were in contact once or by swapping entanglements with a third system. Presently they do not require any electrodynamic signals. I  do not know what is happening in brain.

Best Regards.

Kashyap

Jan 9, 2018, 12:22:09 PM1/9/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com, pozn...@biomedical.utm.my
Dear Kashyap/Roman:

Consciousness is fundamentally a universal not biological phenomenon. Any local model  of biologically brain-induced consciousness is bound to be incomplete and bound to fail the same way universally as the standard cosmology model failing to predict 96% (dark energy/dark matter) of the universe.

A fundamental model of consciousness must be built as a wholesome universe model wherein the dark energy/dark matter problems are fully resolved withot any inconsistencies and paradoxes.

The above is based on my personal experice with the Universal Relativity Model integratng the missing fundamental physics of spontaneous decay into a cosmology model depicting a wholesome continuum of matter/mind/consciousness. Such model is vindicated by empirical observations of the universe and it also provides testable and falsifiable predictions for future vindication.

A local brain-induced consciousness model is like the model of a well trying to depict the ocean or model of a cloud trying to depict the vast space of the universe. It is also like showing candle to the sun.

Best Regards
Avtar

--
----------------------------
[...]

Asingh2384

Jan 9, 2018, 12:22:18 PM1/9/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com, me...@kafatos.com, rlpv...@yahoo.co.in, pozn...@biomedical.utm.my
Hi Kashyap/Menas/Ram:

I fully agree with you and Menas's statement - "The v > c condition cannot occur in space time. However, the Switzerland Nicolas Gisin team experiments (cf. for example Quantum Nonlocality with Arbitrary Limited Detection Efficiency) indicated some time back an equivalent speed of propagation of greater than 20 c. This is not a physical speed, it is an equivalent speed of correlations, this is the whole point of nonlocality!"

But you become inconsistent when you state that you agree with Ram who claims locality at V=C, and non-locality only at V>C violating Special Relativity. At V=C, space-time vanishes dilating to zero. Beyond V=C or V>C does not exist since there is no space-time and no physical speed V. Hence, V>C has no meaning, but a mere misinterpretation of non-existent "Spooky Action At A Distance".

Do you agree?

Best Regards
Avtar

Asingh2384

Jan 9, 2018, 3:43:07 PM1/9/18
to rlpv...@yahoo.co.in, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com, me...@kafatos.com, pozn...@biomedical.utm.my, vinodse...@gmail.com, joseph....@gmail.com, alfredo...@gmail.com, vvima...@gmail.com, rw.b...@yahoo.com, paul....@gmail.com, vasa...@iupui.edu, skl...@berkeley.edu, sisir.s...@gmail.com, sastr...@gmail.com, gsva...@gmail.com, georg...@aol.com, murty...@yahoo.com, hst...@mindspring.com
Dear Ram:
I agree with your statement: “…QM-nonlocality and FTL-IT are controversial and unclear."

The above inconsistencies and controversies are artefacts of the missing physics in current quantum theories that Einstein also pointed out. The following is a possible Special Relativity based explanation to resolve the dilemma:

Physical information constitutes non-zero mass-energy. Hence, a photon of light carrying and transferring information has a non-zero mass and cannot travel at the speed of light. Its V is very slightly less than C, but so close to C that difference from C is practically non-measurable or discernible via normal measurements. Hence, all information is transferred at V<C.

There exist an uncountable number of zero-mass photons or Zero-point energy in V=C state of fully dilated space-time (eternal). However, this energy is unmeasurable as it exists in zero space-time state. We, human observers, and our senses or instruments can only perceive/measure non-zero mass photons carrying information from stars and galaxies completely missing on the zero point energy or photons.

Hence, your statement –“…. Since there is a transfer of physical information at v<=c, it is local at v=c as well. Physical information is transferred from sun to earth by light at v=c, but it takes time.” is in violation of special relativity as no information (non-zero mass can be physically transferred at V=C. We, human beings assume that sunlight photons have zero mass and V=C for practical purposes as we are unable to measure a velocity very very slightly less than but terriibly close to the speed of light. V=C assumption for sunlight photon is acceptable only as a FAPP (for all practical purposes) principle but theoretically (SR) incorrect. V>C (FTL-IT) is physical impossible since there is no space-time at or beyond V=C. Information can only exist and be transferred at V<C. Further, in biological systems of bodily fluids the speed of light would be substantially smaller than C. Those who propagate FTL-IT have given in to the fundamental deficiency of QM.

A philosophical interpretation of V=C could be Cosmic Consciousness or eternal existence in the absolute Zero-point state that is purely kinetic, everywhere and all the time but unmeasurable in the implicate state (this is not far from common Brahma or God definition).

Best Regards
Avtar

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Jan 9, 2018, 3:43:07 PM1/9/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com, me...@kafatos.com, rlpv...@yahoo.co.in, pozn...@biomedical.utm.my, asing...@aol.com

Hi Avtar,

As I mentioned in my previous e-mail, calling correlation coming from a joint wave function between two systems,

non-locality is a confusing language. This has been discussed on physics blogs. Most physicists now would like to reserve the word  “locality” as implying consistency with SR as in local quantum field theory. Other than this we are in agreement that in Bell type experiments, not only there is no FTL, it does not need any electromagnetic communication between the two systems.

The statements in the second paragraph come from your new theory about photons. I think, it is not only in conflict with SR and the whole of modern physics developed and verified during last 100 years, but also in conflict with classical  theory of electromagnetism by  Maxwell. As you know, Maxwell proved that electromagnetic waves always travel with velocity c. Concept of photon as a particle aspect of electromagnetic waves has to agree with this. Otherwise wave-particle duality will break down. True, there are unsolved problems in modern physics. But with your model, you will have to explain the whole modern physics of last 100 years. It is a tall order since literally hundreds of experiments have established beliefs in photonic picture.

Best Regards.

kashyap

Asingh2384

Jan 9, 2018, 3:43:07 PM1/9/18
to vasa...@iupui.edu, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com, me...@kafatos.com, rlpv...@yahoo.co.in, pozn...@biomedical.utm.my
Dear Kashyap:

Exscellent comments.
Yes, and agree as you say – “. It is a tall order since literally hundreds of experiments have established beliefs in photonic picture.”

Established beliefs in science are as difficult to overcome as in religion. But one can always try. I am working on a paper below and send it to the group soon when ready:

“What is Fundamental” – Missing Physics of Anti-gravity
Avtar Singh, Sc. D.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Alumni
Center for Horizons Research, avs...@alum.mit.edu

ABSTRACT
A fundamental concept or law represents the underlying foundation on which the next level or a comprehensive physical theory is built upon and without which a coherent and consistent description of empirical observations at all scales is impossible. The widely-accepted current mainstream theories – General Relativity (GR), Quantum Field Theory (QFT), Maxwell’s Theory, and Standard Big Bang Model (BBM), although vindicated by multiple worldly experiments, are known to exhibit inconsistencies and paradoxical results at universal scale pointing to possible missing fundamental physics. “What is fundamental” is exemplified in this paper via identifying a potential missing fundamental phenomenon of anti-gravity or spontaneous mass-energy conversion leading to spontaneous expansion as evidenced in the observed accelerated expansion of the universe. Relativistic formulations of this fundamental phenomenon provide a new photon dynamics model that eliminates inconsistencies in the current photon model of Maxwell’s theory. Integrating gravity into this model further provides a fundamental universe model that is shown to predict the observed universe behavior and resolves the current paradoxes (black hole singularity, dark energy, dark matter, inflation). It also explains the apparent weirdness of the inner workings of quantum mechanics (quantum gravity, parallel universes, observer’s paradox, and nonlocality) eliminating known inconsistencies of current theories. The model also provides testable predictions for falsification via future observations. The proposed model provides a new fundamental universal understanding of key concepts of physics, cosmology, and universal reality.

Serge Patlavskiy

Jan 9, 2018, 3:43:07 PM1/9/18
to Asingh2384, Online Sadhu Sanga, C. S. Morrison
-
Avtar Singh <asing...@aol.com> on Jan 9, 2018 wrote:
>Hence, V>C has no meaning

[S.P.] In my reply to Colin Morisson on Jan 4, 2018 I wrote:

"If the front of e-m wave moves away from the source with speed c, then the speed with which the front of e-m wave which moves to the right will be equal 2c in reference to the front of this same e-m wave which moves to the left from the source. If it is not relational, then it is not a movement, and it cannot be described by such a factor as "speed". If we deal with "speed" and "movement", we cannot simultaneously deal with "limitedness". If the speed would be limited to c, this would make the propagation of e-m wave impossible in principle."

(for details, see the attached txt-file). So, where I am wrong in my reasoning?

Thanks for your reply in advance,
Serge Patlavskiy

[...]

Вірусів немає. www.avast.com
Sadhu_Sanga-post2_4-01-2018.txt

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Jan 9, 2018, 3:43:07 PM1/9/18
to From the Chief Editor, J. Integr. Neurosci., IMR Press, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Roman,

A good question. Honestly, I do not know the answer. Most of the experiments I have heard about are done by producing entangled pairs in crystals or other solid state media. In this case it becomes easy to verify entanglement. However I saw the following in Wikipedia article:

“The electron shell of multi-electron atoms always consists of entangled electrons. The correct ionization energy can be calculated only by consideration of electron entanglement.[78]

It has been shown by femtosecond transition spectroscopy, that in the photosynthesis of plants, entangled photons exist. An efficient conversion of the photon energy into chemical energy is possible only due to this entanglement.[79][80]

You may want to look this up.

For producing entanglement, the two objects, electrons or photons have to interact, lot of times just by coming together. So, although I am not sure, I do not see why they may not be entangled in fluidic environment.

Best Regards.

Kashyap

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Jan 10, 2018, 12:05:31 PM1/10/18
to VINOD KUMAR SEHGAL, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Vinodji,

Experimentally you can run a beam of incident particles like electrons, photons or whatever onto a target consisting of particles you want to do experiment on such as atoms, molecules etc. Technically this is called scattering. Sometime two beams are made to run into each other. The outgoing particles will be entangled  to a certain extent. But more commonly, photons are passed  through crystals or even an ordinary plate called beam splitter to produce two beams which are entangled. Entanglement is produced by the usual quantum mechanical forces, expressed as Hamiltonian or Lagrangian.  These are spin dependent forces. The particles should be within range of interaction, not outside. This is different for each case.

The interesting thing is that what started as a mostly philosophical inquiry by Einstein about reality has become a big field of experimental physics! Entanglement is more common than we used to think. It may very well be  that particles run into each other naturally and get entangled. It is very likely that nature uses entanglement at many places. Stay tuned!

Best Regards.

kashyap

Jan 10, 2018, 12:05:37 PM1/10/18
to From the Chief Editor, J. Integr. Neurosci., IMR Press, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Hi Roman,

Interesting question. I will look into it. Seems to me that not much work has been done in entanglement in brain and in general in fluid systems. But if by scattering photons and electrons (most likely bound in atoms) off each other, one can produce entangled pairs, these particles surely get entangled when they run into each other because of fluid motion in the body or electrodynamic movements. At any rate this may be worth looking into. I understand Penrose and Hameroff use entanglement and subsequent collapse of wave function to suggest consciousness experience. Perhaps in your model of hydronic ions , similar thing can happen.

It is very interesting to note that what started out as a mostly philosophical inquiry on reality by Einstein has become a big experimental field in physics! Now we know that entanglement is more common than we used to think. It is quite likely that nature is using this phenomenon for some purpose.

Best Regards.

Kashyap

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Jan 11, 2018, 11:49:28 AM1/11/18
to VINOD KUMAR SEHGAL, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Vinodji,

Good questions! In QM, Sch. Eq. says that the wave function does not change in time unless the Hamiltonian is changed. So unless some environmental disturbance causes some different Hamiltonian to act, magnitude of the two particle wave function will remain same as a function of time. This disturbance could be deliberate act of measurement. There is no need for the parts r(1) and r(2) to exchange signals, with v<c , v=c or  v>c! This is the main conclusion of QM, mysterious if you want to call it. It has been verified to a fantastic amount. Correlations have been verified between two previously correlated photons at a distance of hundreds of kilometers when they are sent through carefully prepared fiber optics tubes. In a recent Chinese satellite experiment, they  sent two correlated photons from a satellite to two Chinese cities some 1200 KM apart and they remained correlated after travelling through atmosphere! So entanglement is an established fact. People trying to develop quantum computers are working on how to maintain entanglement between a number of atoms until calculations are over, which take some time. The difficulties they are facing are due to environmental disturbances called decoherence. Also degree of decoherence or percentage of correlation would depend on size of disturbance.

Yes . Some people believe that everything in the universe ( including all of us on this Google group!!)  is correlated to some extent since the big bang!. It may be outside the limit of our present day technology to detect. But it may be there!

So again, the correlations remain until they are wiped out completely by decoherence. There is no need to  exchange any kind of signals with any speed. This idea removes all the paradoxes of entanglement.

Best Regards.

Kashyap

Jan 11, 2018, 1:13:52 PM1/11/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com, vinodse...@gmail.com, vasa...@iupui.edu
Dear Vinod/Kasyap:
The observed photon correlation and entanglement are explained by SR via space-time dilation at V close to C. The two apparently miles apart photons experience dilated space to zero hence remain correlated and appear entangled acting as the ONE and same photon.

Please also see my previous post - Speed V is ALWAYS < C; Even Photon of light moves at V<C  for more details.

Thanks
Avtar

Siegfried Bleher

Jan 13, 2018, 9:58:31 PM1/13/18
to VINOD KUMAR SEHGAL, online_sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Vinod and Kashyap,

A remark about entanglement that may be relevant for the current discussion is that entanglement does not happen instantaneously, nor does decoherence ('disentanglement').  If we consider, as Kashyap mentions, a particle that is scattering off a target particle, and they are assumed initially uncorrelated, then the scattering event can be described as a time dependent process: each particle may be represented as a coherent wave packet (e.g. Glauber coherent state, but something else if the target particle is in a collective state with other particles).  As the source particle approaches the target particle, they each enter into the range where the interaction potential (Hamiltonian) is significant and wave functions of the particles begin to overlap and interfere.  Now, as they interfere, they become entangled, which means the wave function for the two particles cannot be represented as a product of single particle wave functions. If the projectile particle is not captured by the target, it will continue to travel to a large enough distance away from the target particle that the interaction potential between them is insignificant.  But, as long as each particle does not interact with any other particle, the coupled ('non-product') wave function does not change in time, as Kashyap points out (if they each move, then the wave function does exhibit a time dependence that reflects the translation of each particle, but the correlation of the two parts does not change).  So far what I have described is not too hard to understand from a semiclassical perspective that tracks each particle wave packet with a corresponding classical trajectory--the fact that the interference between them remains even out of reach of the interaction potential is the mysterious part.  Now, as to the process of disentanglement: suppose the two entangled particles, say A and B, have moved apart.  If one of them, let's say A, begins to interact with a third particle C--its wave function overlaps with that of particle C, but both of these are out of range of B, then particle A becomes entangled with C.  Is B now entangled with both A and C?  Well the mutual Hamiltonian affects both A and C, but not B.  On the other hand, the new wave function describing A and C is influenced partly by the Hamiltonian, which affects the spatial part of the wave function. If the Hamiltonian contains a coupling to spin, then the spin part of wave function is also affected, which implies coupling to the spin part of B as well.  All three particles become entangled through the spin component of the wave function.  If A is interacting with a measuring instrument or the environment, then a mixed state with ‘mixed state entanglement’ forms in that interaction (of A, B and the environment).  The phases of the wave functions are always evolving, and if the environment has random phases, then coupling to the environment will ‘randomize’ the phases of the initial wave function of particle A (i.e. decoherence, although in principle I would expect some entanglement to persist, if we could track it).  This has implications for Vinod’s question about global entanglement, although measuring the degree of entanglement in a many body system, and its implications, is not trivial.

Best wishes,

Siegfried

Sent from Outlook

Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:26 AM
To: VINOD KUMAR SEHGAL

--

----------------------------
[...]

Bruno Marchal

Jan 14, 2018, 7:18:11 AM1/14/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kashiap,

On 10 Jan 2018, at 17:40, Vasavada, Kashyap V <vasa...@iupui.edu> wrote:

[...]

I would say that there is entanglement for each interaction, and that the superpositions never disappear. I read that some people try to explain the origin of space from quantum entanglement.

My own conclusion, from the study of the EPR paper, Bohr's answer, Bell, and Aspect is that:

1) in all interpretation of QM, the violation of Bell’s inequality never allow to transfer information at a distance.

2) in all collapse interpretation, but also in Bohm-De Broglie type of theory, despite there is not transfer of information at a distance, there is a physical action at a distance. That is why the hidden variable theory are said to be non local.

3) in non-collapse interpretation (like Everett, Many-worlds), there is neither transfer of information at a distance possible, but there is also no need of any action at a distance at all. QM without collapse is a purely local and deterministic theory, explaining well the “illusion” of some non locality. Note that many disagree with this, but when asked to explain, they always use the collapse at some point, or they use a naive view of the MWI of the singlet state.

I can add that only “3)” makes sense with the computationalist hypothesis in the cognitive science.

Best Regards,

Bruno

Best Regards.

kashyap

--
----------------------------
[...]

Paul Werbos

Jan 14, 2018, 8:32:54 AM1/14/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com, VINOD KUMAR SEHGAL
Many thanks, Siegfried, both for taking care of this task, and for showing that there might be real hope here of some serious discussion of physics, as ONE of the important threads of discussion.

Since you seem to have real knowledge of quantum optics, extending even to the Glauber-Shudarshan "P" method for describing coherent states, I can't help asking whether you have access to an actual laboratory, or, if not, whether you have an interest in the mathematical details of making sense of experiments or technologies in this space?

This past month, as I have made more time for relaxing and going with the flow, the flow has taken me to a number of interesting places, including three major labs where curious questions have started to emerge.

For example -- many of the folks on this list make assertions about entanglement and information which seem to be echoes of the famous quality popularization by J.S. Bell, The Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics. It explains the "Bell's Theorem" formulated by Clauser, Holt, Shimony and Horne (CHSH), and the very specific definition of "nonlocality" assumed in that Theorem. But it does not mention how the very first experiment to test the predictions of that theorem, by Richard Holt, disagreed with quantum mechanics. I had tea with Richard on the day when he had his first results, and will never forget the look on his face, and what he said then and later. The propaganda types try hard not to mention this, but the classic reviews by d'Espagnat and by Clauser and Shimony do clearly report it. The results are a mystery unexplained to this day. Was it just a result of imprecision much worse than Harvard could figure out? Was it like what Joe loves,  a kind of parapsychology event? Or could there be a more satisfying and clear explanation in physics? In fact, his source of entangled photons was a thermal source (two-photon emission from thermally excited mercury),  like the recent work of Yanhua Shih discussed in the new book Optical Tests of Foundations of Quantum Theory. (His chapter is visible in google scholar, with link to the chaper.)That work also saw anomalies for triple entanglement, for GHZ states, and it seems there is a need to revisit more carefully how predictions are made, especially when thermal sources are involved.

If you are interested, we should do it in a new thread,  just a better subject line.

Best regards,  Paul

On Jan 13, 2018 9:58 PM, "Siegfried Bleher" <SBl...@msn.com> wrote:

[...]

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Jan 14, 2018, 4:58:14 PM1/14/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Bruno,

“I would say that there is entanglement for each interaction, and that the superpositions never disappear. I read that some people try to explain the origin of space from quantum entanglement.”

I agree with this.

(1)    Is ok with me.

(2)  I prefer not use the word non locality because to many physicists it smell like violation of SR! I do not agree with (2). The whole point was that once a joint wave function between the two systems is formed and Hamiltonian is not changed, the wave function keeps on propagating, thousands of kilometers or light years. There is no need for any communication, physical action at a distance or hidden variables. Everything is built into the wave function. The only requirement is no decoherence from environment i.e.  other significant Hamiltonian.

(3) I personally do not believe in many worlds or even many minds description. It introduces metaphysically arbitrary universes, from actions of human beings like measurement etc.(!)  and do not solve any problems. I understand from various surveys  many physicists do not care for it also. Of course, arguments on interpretation of QM are going on for 90 years! So with all the problems, majority of physicists still prefer Bohr’s collapse in knowledge of the observer model . I like that!

Best Regards.

Kashyap

Jan 15, 2018, 4:07:09 AM1/15/18
to Syamala Hari, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear Syamala,

You have an interesting model of tachyons in brain. One comment I have is that there are many particles which were not found in high energy physics, but were found as quasiparticles in condensed matter physics. So they could very well be like that! After all brain is more like condensed matter than an accelerator.

Best Regards.

Kashyap

From: "From the Chief Editor, J. Integr. Neurosci., IMR Press" <pozn...@biomedical.utm.my>

To: VINOD KUMAR SEHGAL <vinodse...@gmail.com>

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Jan 15, 2018, 5:39:22 PM1/15/18
to Syamala Hari, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Shyamala,

Thanks. In general, I would be interested in any wave or particle mechanism inside the brain. But my knowledge of tachyons is minuscule!  When I typed tachyons in condensed matter in google, it showed large number of articles. You may already be familiar with those or you may  want to look at them.

Best.

kashyap

Jan 16, 2018, 1:55:00 PM1/16/18
to From the Chief Editor, J. Integr. Neurosci., IMR Press, Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Roman,

My mention of looking at condensed matter physics was just casual since brain is closer to condensed matter physics than anything else in physics and chemistry.  I am not working on consciousness , although I am quite interested in keeping up with various efforts.  Syamala mentions work of Nobel laureate Eccles, which talks about quasi particles in cells. Models based on quasi particles are quite common in condensed matter physics. I  would just say that all mechanisms like electromagnetic waves, photons, phonons, atoms and molecules in neurons may be worth looking. I understand Ram is interested in how to relate feelings to QM , without committing to any specific atomic or molecular process, while you and several others are looking for a specific process. More power to both of you! Thanks,

Best Regards.

Kashyap

Jan 16, 2018, 2:54:03 PM1/16/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kashiap,

On 14 Jan 2018, at 21:07, Vasavada, Kashyap V <vasa...@iupui.edu> wrote:

Dear Bruno,

[...]

I am not sure I understand this. The advantage of having non-collapse seems to me that all interaction can be seen as relative measurement. Then, there is no need to introduce metaphysically arbitrary universe, which in the Digital Mechanist frame are only first person plural sharable computations (which exists in arithmetic in a sense similar to the existence of the prime numbers).

With mechanism, we have many histories (perhaps too many, and that is made testable) and zero “universe”, in some sense, but there is still something like an appearance of a quantum multiverse, but it is a view of arithmetic from inside arithmetic.

and do not solve any problems.

I think that the “quantum multiverse” is deducible from the assumption of Einstein realism, 3p determinacy and 3p locality, + a finite set of well chosen results of Stern-Gerlach device experiment, and some Occam Razor (of course).

I understand from various surveys  many physicists do not care for it also.

That makes it more plausibly true to me :)

Of course, arguments on interpretation of QM are going on for 90 years! So with all the problems, majority of physicists still prefer Bohr’s collapse in knowledge of the observer model . I like that!

I work on the mind-body problem, and show that with the hypothesis that the brain is a physical machine emulable at some substitution level by a Digital Universal physical machine (a computer), then it is emulated in infinitely many computations emulated themselves mathematically in virtue of true arithmetical relations. The mind-body problem is reduced into deriving the body appearances (physics) from a statistic on all consistent computational extensions as seen from some self-referential points of view. Gödel incompleteness imposes 8 key modes of self-reference, including some which the machine cannot define, but can know very well. We get here means to distinguish the sharable quanta and the private qualia.

Aristotle’s materialism is not compatible with digital mechanism in the cognitive science. We need to come back to Plato (assuming Mechanism correct).

Unfortunately this relies on some results in theoretical computer science and mathematical logic, which are not so well known and ask for some work. Since we have separated science and religion in Occident (1500 years ago), metaphysics and theology keep reifying concept (an error in “serious” metaphysics) and humans get easily dogmatic on the issue. The scientific attitude in theology requires some amount of modesty, which is mainly an ability to not impose an answer at the start of a debate.

Kind regards,

Bruno

Kashyap