could solipsism destroy the human species?

Paul Werbos

Feb 10, 2018, 9:16:25 AM2/10/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Does that sound like a bit of an overstatement, an exercise in alarmism or exaggeration? Be careful what you assume. Since a time five years ago, many things have happened which seemed impossible, to those who assume nothing can change.

But what can REALLY cause the human species to become extinction? That is an important question, to us, and I am glad that there are groups like the Lifeboat Foundation and assorted futurists who really try to remember that question and address it in a serious way. High on the list of things which really threaten the very survival of the species, in a direct and concrete way are still nuclear war (and its aftermath, and perhaps biological warfare as well), but the possibilities for climate change at the fatal level are far greater than most people know as yet, and the Tderminator AI threat is also real. (See www.werbos.com/IT_big_picture.pdf and the loinks at the end to back it up.)

But at the end of the day, whether these horrid, ever more likely disasters will actually happen depends on how humans respond to the challenges and the threats. That in turn depends on what kinds of assumptions they hard wire both in the symbolic reasoning part of their brains, and in IT systems. We all know already that there are many varieties of solipsism out there -- the belief that there is not objective reality, or that we can safely make it go away by ignoring it. But this morning, a particular form of it comes to mind.

Many people believe that high level decisions all over the world have been made less constructive and intelligent because of a deterioration in the quality of information sources, such as "fake news". The naive, solipsistic approach to that is to build government agencies which stamp out views which are not the truth AS SEEN by political authorities. An objective viewpoint would admit that all of us are fallible, and try to come up with better systems, and make that real. As IT takes over the world .. NOT JUST Terminator robots, but the Internet of Things which has been moving very very quickly... naive solipsistic policies and designs really could kill us, simply because of the lack of real intelligence in the system in the face of complex challenges.

Easier to say than to fix. Systems design when humans play a central role is not trivial. We now know how to build consciousness, but human survival is a more difficult challenge.

David Marjanovic

Feb 11, 2018, 4:29:33 PM2/11/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Solipsism* is the view that only I exist, or only my mind exists, and everything else is a figment of my imagination. Well, whether inside or outside my imagination, few if any people claim to be solipsists, so I have a hard time seeing how it could destroy anything.

Of course Trump is the next "best" thing to a solipsist: he's a narcissistic "psychopath"/"sociopath" who understands full well that other people exist, but doesn't care what emotions they have – he only takes himself, his desires, his goals as important, and other people are either means to these ends, or obstacles that need to be removed, or irrelevant. That is, obviously, dangerous.

* Latin: solus ipse = only male-singular-self (myself, yourself, himself), sola ipsa = only female-singular-self (myself, yourself, herself).

Paul Werbos

Feb 11, 2018, 4:46:37 PM2/11/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, David!

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 2:41 PM, David Marjanovic <david.ma...@gmx.at> wrote:
Solipsism* is the view that only I exist, or only my mind exists, and everything else is a figment of my imagination. Well, whether inside or outside my imagination, few if any people claim to be solipsists, so I have a hard time seeing how it could destroy anything.

Few people CLAIM to be solipsists. If we did a poll asking how many people know what the word means, I suppose it would be far less than the number who qualify.

But to deny the existence of objective reality, either explicitly or (more common) in the way one tries to understand the universe or make policy, the phenomenon is all around us in many, many forms. To fully grasp the concept of objective reality, not only at a surface level but at a deeper level, seems to be a bit of a challenge for our species.

A key point of my post was the example of how policy is being made all over the world on "fake news," not only by the obvious case (Trump) but in many other cases ...

--
----------------------------
Fifth International Conference

Send a Donation to Support Our Services: http://scienceandscientist.org/donate
(All Indian residents are eligible for tax benefits for their contributions under section 80G of the Income Tax Act)

Report Archives: http://bviscs.org/reports

Why Biology is Beyond Physical Sciences?: http://dx.doi.org/10.5923/j.als.20160601.03

Life and consciousness – The Vedāntic view: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19420889.2015.1085138

Harmonizer: http://scienceandscientist.org/harmonizer

Darwin Under Siege: http://scienceandscientist.org/Darwin

Princeton Bhakti Vedanta Institute: http://bviscs.org

Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Institute: http://scsiscs.org

Sadhu-Sanga Blog: http://mahaprabhu.net/satsanga

Contact Us: http://scsiscs.org/contact
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D." group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/Online_Sadhu_Sanga.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Online_Sadhu_Sanga/trinity-f11220b6-5f85-4ad1-94af-0ce1b6a61ec9-1518378113090%403c-app-gmx-bs17.

Kushal Shah

Feb 11, 2018, 8:56:51 PM2/11/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 12, 2018 3:15 AM, "Paul Werbos"

But to deny the existence of objective reality, either explicitly or (more common) in the way one tries to understand the universe or make policy, the phenomenon is all around us in many, many forms. To fully grasp the concept of objective reality, not only at a surface level but at a deeper level, seems to be a bit of a challenge for our species.

A strong assertion of objective reality is as naive as its outright rejection. All theories and concepts operate only within a certain domain. If scientists can be stubborn in their assertion, others can also be stubborn in their rejection. As Newton said, every action has an equal an opposite reaction. In my opinion, this is the most important law of this universe.

Best,
Kushal.

Kushal Shah @ EECS Dept, IISER Bhopal
http://home.iiserb.ac.in/~kushals

Alex Hankey

Feb 12, 2018, 4:50:35 AM2/12/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Well said, Kushal.

The nature of the reality of one's experience is something that changes as consciousness evolves.
As Maharishi Mahesh Yogi put it, 'Knowledge is Different in Different States of Consciousness'.

At the highest level comes the realisation that 'All is One' - in some very subtle and quite hard to define sense.
The realisation of this 'Unity behind All Things', or 'Unity in Diversity', is the essence of Advaita Vedanta, and
the teachings and practices that lead up to that state.

Interestingly, Bernard D'Espagnat, clearly demonstrated that quantum theory is incompatible with Naive Objective Reality,
in which every object is assumed to have an independent existence, independent on anything else. He showed that the quantum correlations which so displeased Einstein mean that what we see and consider as independent 'objects' cannot necessarily be considered to be truly independent.

The most beautiful, and to me perfect, expression of realisation of the Ultimate Unity
is contained in a poem by Thomas Traherne, a 17th century English country parson.
The sixth stanza of his poem 'My Spirit', which you can obtain in full off the internet

'My Spirit' Stanza 6 Lines 1 to 7
A strange extended orb of Joy,
Proceeding from within,
Which did on every side, convey
Itself, and being nigh of kin
To God did every way
Dilate itself even in an instant, and
Like an indivisible centre stand,
At once surrounding all eternity.

Note the 'indivisible centre' - the Centre of his Being remains One, undivided.
It cannot be divided, it is 'indivisible'. This is the Ultimate Realisation that
drives out the prime cause of spiritual problems - Avidya,
or ignorance of Unity. (No help to James Randi & co.!!!)

The 7th Stanza that follows this one is an ecstatic statement of realisation
 that one would normally only expect to find in the Upanishads.
In fact the whole poem has the quality of an Upanishad!
Best wishes,

Alex Hankey

--
----------------------------
[...]

Alex Hankey M.A. (Cantab.) PhD (M.I.T.)
Distinguished Professor of Yoga and Physical Science,
SVYASA, Eknath Bhavan, 19 Gavipuram Circle
Bangalore 560019, Karnataka, India
Mobile (Intn'l): +44 7710 534195
Mobile (India) +91 900 800 8789

John Jay Kineman

Feb 12, 2018, 4:50:35 AM2/12/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
If nobody else is a solipsist, then maybe its true?
John
--
----------------------------
http://secure-web.cisco.com/1PSSm0w4WpUqdg-nJFMsmZ_KYJTLlb5JOKoZg2ZPD42t2-UxrI1hcsljlr-_XQxZsecPwNFMoldPAZAGJ1byECwjUMq1ASNmI7LPTrAMGHTSY8cJNB1pQXn6Q6_YlqsHRlYh-glLhvKzfBsIvi-t_Bz4--UAN4xjTw8C45yP19rlm--sMwjsFIv6-d2BFMoVFlLos1hm2oIJWvMgzmR6s5YdVP3Xll1Txwhl7bDQKlsMMRdNuN6EClLrMtwH4IO-uFGNeq8dbJHFAsKR_WTODu3BEs6MDtGwrSvtm6SDryDM-850GAoyZi3TroqDBVJE8dDsQTahg1kwRj5nGhW4AbA03iE3B00Cl8WGVciBIS8QmwkOaH7TomBxk4sgzzYZn17Z_bFy_Bp0J6YDHQAyAoosRjF1Fx_Pboptc4uVb9mEMLpGdRLhI6gXr1U-EtqZR_n--qnwi6Bli6VmkTfiwCg/http%3A%2F%2Fscsiscs.org%2Fconference%2Fscienceandscientist%2F2017

Send a Donation to Support Our Services: http://secure-web.cisco.com/1MS2oTlgNsZPYwzQ6ai36r6loqNu-PEmRHSvMLBRDrf6nm8P9nWEuqof3ImKOQPobUYusqaArHFnJHhwFR5xV5WUxz7dovsAyekfV7Xz6vxx3KMFTe796cE6TC0N7aa7rUwlUMm1BIYbrAxsclxxsrh-vF_knTucEN7YUDR3KZaFzhNMLu3-EygjHw-9KuP6mxfLsS4xl0n9l3BEZKtGBXUOxVYVqZUWnP-XnsZYcH1cff4VlzRuuTXdd_OSy0dR_vbc7kjlpI3DDiXFsVuXN4846IqHdn7EzobcQlAqcXJ6lqutS-n7kCyMQ8klUpGz4wM66zU2eOTK3X4K1Ri8kqvMhCZTp3z3X9V8gnYExVsetQ3ktI_FP8pE8-Hs2DvyOLxAf1vBdMogeevSDQ5uSDg1o3bVPA9Rvi_QcQ6U42r8mU9IFbgvqal6_GDGBNJlev_dN_Vd19Y9nZHXLYSFWag/http%3A%2F%2Fscienceandscientist.org%2Fdonate

(All Indian residents are eligible for tax benefits for their contributions under section 80G of the Income Tax Act)

Why Biology is Beyond Physical Sciences?: http://dx.doi.org/10.5923/j.als.20160601.03

Life and consciousness – The Vedāntic view: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19420889.2015.1085138

Harmonizer: http://secure-web.cisco.com/1DJEGXXW2lFYGWwbX4qAd24qHGHqx0LOxA3rnmRQqg_r60zSaXuUswR3q5zUCLn8dFcXdhWy5_jS8SRKZcygAfBONnf0i5IRyx9__UPT2S0Ss1ztx4uXlMm-VA5LaWl9UQxULjx-aVmD_dgUhFwMXiFTw766bBIHbppfbo7MNFCfsM_pU44ceUyrirOOU5T42-daB2DPZ4puP_kz3TCm8Wpj11QC7at15FAXovKsEFJydH4aAcXcp5VaqZGv0ljlQ1ZWwMlAE46MC7K-tXvTdwuWZSWhRA4Pn2I9WZ5tDywlBkIHSzNhbbF3Y7LnDfhCok_UaaWPdrsvEL2HhqevM-A0ND1bEMxY2ON1OZJSqaPtwdG-pWC0rCJbHyRWyyJAqGikQesy18toFvb_-bWieao3CWjUsUKeAL2l_sUGjbvpp0VDW4_1QFzHrIr3K2SjeAKyWe2hmM2IfTu-oztbMDA/http%3A%2F%2Fscienceandscientist.org%2Fharmonizer

Darwin Under Siege: http://secure-web.cisco.com/1xnarzMAoZJybrqDuYlENBX1ZKuyLz1-EMvt45bNarCydJJZdLDswWR38O49B7m7G8wjF9IRZEKyamcOK3JlOCTxBw9pFKbdyhWwy7xBC8hQKmxcx9A0OvsmtmnHHCj9Z1QCw6F4X6LASKuF_XoaSqQtJmu1oqgiwaNEJ1h4GnfdpdWS7ICrkPd4nDrs__ZTlBhZLwFEyhrT8a1xNdDxnwbmosy4AY_686JWe_AFhJoPJ56aesXzeNztQrGMRdC0sELkp2KFsBcPTB0NMZOONorweMdeRHehyUkLsG94WxaXxcT9tMF4hhld543daCzVQchnaySzIFF0fICaI8GB6_SyzCvxMeDWKaKyAuu-6_LIHa1MB0Ll7pfzo9WIrG0mXJj96_rxjyGipbEzTjO0Q-g_P7LOtl3HCBWYhm6uz9rgBFo7xcjLbTLxVD9mYT45IgmXzVoelJLvF6blN_-XpUw/http%3A%2F%2Fscienceandscientist.org%2FDarwin

Princeton Bhakti Vedanta Institute: http://secure-web.cisco.com/1-yJxlBXF_7BbYELf3ATJoujH3_vB0K1RixdqxXktgHFdoyBAficFZHaN-WSehawwoa2VkiJZP0QAUBycsGvTudxd-7U5XPq9MgU6zoHjVPCceBNw-F6VUcmFodDpmNOQsjiAP0ghMAKLYR-BsN6lIqOfIZbYgq5kqwzque1-vNhDyyH6Aa9hqODPRNsfo_4gJyjdTisbXpYFezButZopCMMENST5Wu5rGIhMO1TzviT1cXPjI1sus1A1dX14gDzYSDTC_Q87cTwSihtZKq_DWw9tP9sw3TLON7t7gJDy--UJjETOuP3mpOaapJLQ6Csg5M4XYRsPkSQLcNSF5xujGrn9URFd6MwhpTrKvpIwwJcXtfZoCeFO-jGL3cGAPBLBBLfrUJkyL1n-H8z0Nkfu-22-a4lPvzGZc-FGaOmK_dhws3lQBkAlDT32kV3EtVfAx9TeUs115CjYYOOODqFxag/http%3A%2F%2Fbviscs.org

Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Institute: http://secure-web.cisco.com/1bWDrseCeg265XrxZ4vQtI-oxVWXj3KDSbrpdS0cguEjdXooQAGhLDMvBBfC4sx-4b-C9llpjffcFIvWLKyJynk09Lpxwb3pDXklCaPazAIDxV5OBdPlOXjJNqnxHFK0BLtCY0WoqA37ZutKXWEWLGiMBtZVDEwgrU6TOYK6eDRsOT3FkB9aPcOliTWYpUr-LLddGHD3HQLyoLmrcpoMABbEy4hh4ZV7Gyec3kkTj5RQiwBAYg9ENkM4xNwx4-gClEJzl156t5L_InJyGQzZBjjPSfMRbrmUAVE1ryoLc0HztdFGsBg9qMLXvLl0V0S9aAS5jvv_nG_KTaD4WW4cmKrfaAfPaVnFLLIIPsCEjfw0WX-fWZo5WbybWUI9TWHRF6J1RjT2CLWQBVJB5vyQ2fpq_Wb7X6kuBzQSdZP8u2IyWCbxELYX0tiNVxTFz7XK0CYXtaOX1Wk4vcfhcUUmOPw/http%3A%2F%2Fscsiscs.org

Sadhu-Sanga Blog: http://secure-web.cisco.com/1hGDRLafRfrbFOJJOiO2KxSwlPvgtR3tnjCLHD9f4CwpH2W2M_DShBJjIcbsDQcJUr5KMYoWKUdWPYiaYMGWsaPWeLCAjdwTFvpXn_IDRxBbyVj-3eFuYBxKVM7qvigh1HTF8WYqlZ1IvyRfQP90MEtskHsh6NqQbuSMA1T1F7LJKrB8Rcjot6YE34QpAyink8Il-ePSn9pOflTdN7bZlPqrgYLjzpOCGKX45mRhtLGH5JXxTUskHlwPskuBnkBMt-O75tbI6TwFRtSIIOtaU972tmrLEdyABjhRQQmpfiLhyFYSe-UR1jDRe0zMdQGrf8VVU3rtD4G4zv5g_gKbMuA9s33D-1SYVWYNc_x-FDTPSiTyls4NEa7EmHjpUJr94y1oqzBONGMHJLBUQK353REgxyNBRux4ykW97pmIYEcW7P5AwOL1BTaf7EEaMK0--RBHx2evQmyEoYvT9ezzE7g/http%3A%2F%2Fmahaprabhu.net%2Fsatsanga

Contact Us: http://secure-web.cisco.com/1OexVU_kpNXGRbiZ8-k0li4DIsMKFMcdXQHdSJidLXXVXGjbbSma5Iyxp4w-KbrARpnIJpv3eoIIXU2JkHpPBlGdL3PI68btlGEA07ws0bVCDNrxxsSezdEicse_MjxapGeFYIhOQs0jNHyD8zgjahheqvxOh3nMSoORxUlQw7TEe1DAznQriKAMCyiUecQtLsD0smhjvO7rdTJY_aLIcLaIBNzjgO_6Yyk-BLvXgJW-8TMQlGmCj_aFiedKIMzdn4rYaXQd1EhT2_K9TPufey1DpT3WP0gOoM5saPi-JQtsBOsxhBMqBTjA8jfNT5c-Fuai4hw7RBhvxmqF37Kr0iEu266YjrKv47QZ7JHjJ1sU7WdahTmDM8VouMONboyBZwlCDi8zKrqe-7VIMclV93hDtOhqrWGvmXeuym5hTgvDp5MsTCrXtfsQQYwsLYEOclMgJJW3Uamf4p2zTS4-K-A/http%3A%2F%2Fscsiscs.org%2Fcontact

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D." group.

David Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2018, 9:45:13 AM2/12/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
> As Newton said, every action has an equal an opposite reaction.

But Newton meant, and physicists today mean, this _literally_, not as some kind of metaphor. It cannot be extended to "if you hate me, I'll hate you back" or suchlike.

It's actually related to relativity. There is no preferred place and no preferred direction. Therefore, if you push an object away from you, you're also pushing yourself away from the object. You and the object will receive the same kinetic energy with opposite directions. Or consider a gas in an enclosed space. As many particles collide with the front wall as with the back wall. If you remove a wall, you get a rocket: the push on the opposite wall is no longer compensated, so the wall moves in the opposite direction from the jet.

Paul Werbos

Feb 12, 2018, 10:15:21 AM2/12/18
On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 8:18 PM, Kushal Shah <atma...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Feb 12, 2018 3:15 AM, "Paul Werbos"

But to deny the existence of objective reality, either explicitly or (more common) in the way one tries to understand the universe or make policy, the phenomenon is all around us in many, many forms. To fully grasp the concept of objective reality, not only at a surface level but at a deeper level, seems to be a bit of a challenge for our species.

A strong assertion of objective reality is as naive as its outright rejection. All theories and concepts operate only within a certain domain. If scientists can be stubborn in their assertion, others can also be stubborn in their rejection. As Newton said, every action has an equal an opposite reaction. In my opinion, this is the most important law of this universe.

Certainly Trump has made similar points, and the energy of the many backreactions against reality all over the world are real and overwhelming.

Kushal Shah

Feb 12, 2018, 11:07:58 AM2/12/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Alex, thanks for sharing the beautiful poem!

David, in the good old days much before Mermin came up with famous assertion “Shut up and calculate!”, most or all physicists used to be philosophers. So it's not unreasonable to assume that Newton was inspired by the metaphorical meanings of action-reaction. And even if Newton was not, there is nothing that prevents us from extending physical laws to metaphorical domains. If A hates B, it's natural for B to hate A, unless B has worked on his inner well-being.

Paul, it's not a backlash against reality but a certain version of reality which the current world order considers supreme. I cant really comment on Trump and his followers, but in India, it's very annoying when academicians look down upon and try to block attempts to introduce Yoga into the school and college curriculum. Patanjali deserves the same respect as Socrates, if not more. How many humanities depts in India have a single course on Indian philosophy? We are just forcing our kids to think in a certain narrow direction. That's not education but mere slave training.

[...]

Whit Blauvelt

Feb 12, 2018, 11:07:58 AM2/12/18
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:07:09AM -0500, Paul Werbos wrote:

> Certainly Trump has made similar points, and the energy of the many
> backreactions against reality all over the world are real and overwhelming.

It seems to often take the form of "I don't want to imagine that I live in a
reality where ______. So I won't."

In that blank insert variously:

- "my tribe is not superior to all other human beings"
- "my tribe's gods are not superior to all"
- "my tribe's leader tells constant lies"
- "our opponents include a number of people reasoning in good faith"

A number of things come to mind which are not tribal, and fit the blank,
including things which, even realistically, are better not believed. Yet the
solipsism of tribal identity seems the particular danger now -- not the
individual per se, but the individual self-identified with a tribe. This
generally is accompanied with paranoia about the tribe's being "repressed,"
even in situations where the tribe-in-question dominates.

Best,
Whit

Stephen Jarosek

Feb 14, 2018, 5:09:17 AM2/14/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Dear members,

The important points being raised by Alex and Kushal, below, and others in the solipsism thread, inspired me to introduce a brief outline on the relevance of semiotic theory. As I introduced in my accompanying post, just now, replying to Paul Werbos, the men’s rights movement provided the seeds of cultural change. The because genes narrative of Neo-Darwinism lies behind the myth of pre-programmed instincts to account for men’s and women’s motivations. This is complete nonsense. Peircean biosemiotics provides a much more compelling interpretation for how men and women make choices from culture. Let’s take a look.

So how might semiotic theory relate to gender politics? Here are the essential elements of gender roles, within the context of Peircean semiotics:

1)      Gender roles are habits;

2)      Gender roles are chosen (association, conditioning);

3)      Men and women “like” the roles to which they have been assigned.

A couple of essential points to note:

1)      Genes do not determine anything. While genes are still important, within a biosemiotic context, they do not “explain” complexity. If anything, they are better understood in the context of resistance to change, rather than the determination of change… you know, a kind of momentum of form, rather than a blueprint for form;

2)      The above three points are simply restatements of Peirce’s three categories… namely, thirdness (gender roles are habits); secondness (gender roles relate to associative learning… the associations that are chosen/ experienced); and firstness (gender roles as they relate to motivation);

3)      Neural plasticity relates to habituation, associative learning and motivation in neurons… yup, the Peircean categories apply to single cells, too (I discuss this in my 2001 Semiotica article, The law of association of habits);

4)      Imitation as an important dimension of Peirce’s pragmatism (or pragmatacism). Perhaps a new word needs to be invented… imitation, as I intend it, is much more than blind copying… the notion of knowing how to be provides a richer context that is consistent with semiosis and pragmatism;

5)      Culture as a thought. This is consistent with Peirce’s the man is the thought. The notion of culture as a thought is an expression of the realization that each choice we make has a specific meaning with reference to its cultural context;

6)      Biosemiotics is a more general interpretation of the semiotics of C.S. Peirce. It takes the anthropocentric priority of semiotics, and extends it to a more general context for all living entities.

I make a brief reference to neural plasticity above. Yup, it has a direct part to play, too, in gender politics. Why? Professor Jill Stamm (specializing in infant brain development) of Arizona State University has guesstimated that 90% of a human brain’s wiring is accomplished within the first four years of life. Guess what looms large in the first four years of any infant’s life… it is the primary nurturer. It is the primary nurturer that first defines the things that matter (Peirce, pragmatism). In other words, if human cultures are being “oppressed” by anyone, it is the primary nurturer that has a primary role in inculcating those nasty, oppressive, “patriarchal” values that supposedly oppress women. Last time I checked, the primary nurturer has tended to be female.

Now regarding this notion of culture as a thought: Every object in a culture is a cultural artifact that has meaning within a cultural context. The beer upon which I sip in Prague is established in a very different context to the beer that I sip in Munich, or Sydney, or San Francisco, or Budapest. In each context in which I make a choice is the cultural thought, or narrative, that informs it. In other words, the historical context, and whether you clink your beers, the words you use, the conversations you engage in… and whether you are male or female. What might sipping a beer in Prague have in common with a lion stalking a gazelle, bees swarming, a car mechanic fixing a car, a fish in a net, a ballet dancer dancing, leukocytes rolling slowly on endothelial cells, and P-selectins on endothelial cells interacting with PSGL1? Seemingly disparate, unrelated events, they are united under one set of universal laws. Each is a player in a context, and as such, each is a sign that has a meaning within that context. And this is why Peircean biosemiotic theory and the three categories, understood in the context of motivation, association and habituation, are so important.

Regards

Stephen Jarosek

Feb 14, 2018, 5:09:17 AM2/14/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

PAUL WERBOS >”Since a time five years ago, many things have happened which seemed impossible, to those who assume nothing can change.

The changes we’ve seen in the past few years are amazing… certainly exceeding anything that I had anticipated. The seed for that change, I contend, was the men’s rights movement. How has this come to pass that gender politics might lie at the heart of cultural change? Let’s take a look.

Very briefly… the core problem of the Occident currently expresses itself in the form of Neo-Darwinian genetic determinism (genocentrism). Genocentrism is the not-God reply to the because-God of anthropocentric Judeo-Christian Creationism. From the perspective of not-God, because there is no god, a vacuum is created that demands an explanation. The dumb luck of sterile materialism has to be sufficient to explain life confined to a lone, average planet, within a universe comprised of trillions of galaxies and trillions of billions of planets (such innocent naïveté would be endearing, were the implications not so devastating). This contrasts with eastern religions, such as Hinduism and Buddhism, which never externalized and anthropomorphized their interpretation of god. In contrast to the Occidental god, the Hindu/Buddhist god never stood outside of nature as an external meddler that created stuff to alleviate his loneliness/boredom. Hinduism/Buddhism, from what I’ve seen, has little difficulty with the notion of life throughout the cosmos.

Gender roles have been especially problematic, within the context of genocentrism. You know, the idea that genes determine the motivations of men and women. This brings us to feminism and liberalism. Cultural relativism is one important expression of this dysfunction. Cultural relativists have an important point to make with reference to the choices that we make… but their cultural relativism is naively formulated, because Occidental epistemology never laid the foundations upon which to build a solid paradigm. You can’t just wake up one morning and decide that you are the wrong gender, and that society has to accommodate your self-indulgent interpretation of LGBTW…XYZ. The cognitive dissonance of the left, for whom anti-white racism is not racism and anti-male sexism is not sexism, is staggering. And now that liberalism, in the wake of Trump, is mockingly discrediting itself, we are seeing an apparent resurgence of the because-genes baloney. This is unfortunate… it needs to be nipped in the bud. It is imperative, at this critical point in history, for the Occident to get their paradigm right, to stave off the resurging because-genes nonsense of Neo-Darwinism.

Ultimately, the broken narratives of a broken paradigm eventually had to come to a head. And they expressed themselves most sharply in that inevitable response to liberal-feminism’s dysfunctional narratives… the men’s rights movement. What is now called the right, or alt-right, or alt-lite (for those seeking to distance themselves from the extremists), has its origins in the men’s rights movement. In 2004, my article The wage gap myth is hazardous to men's health was among the first to challenge the wage gap myth, and the wage gap controversy took off from around that time. Because my thinking was never constrained by the because-genes of Neo-Darwinism, I was able to focus on the basis of men’s and women’s motivations, and therefore, on how men and women made choices… as, for example, When one side has an escape hatch.

These days, mercifully, the challenges to liberal totalitarianism and feminist orthodoxy are everywhere. From Professor Jordan Peterson on the wage gap to former feminist Cassie Jaye now turning her back on feminism, there is a powerful awakening that ensures the world will never be quite the same again. If we know something, then we each have a duty to speak out… to run from that obligation because we fear being called mean words, like “racist” or “sexist”, is an abdication of responsibility. None of us can change the world on our own, but speaking truth to groupthink plants the seeds of change. Sure solipsism might still stand to destroy us… but I think there’s hope on the horizon.

Regards

--

NYIKOS, PETER

Feb 18, 2018, 4:42:48 PM2/18/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
David, I was hoping to see something about solipsism that was relevant to this group's interests. Instead you posted a political harangue. I hope nobody else picks up your ball. There's no end of politicians who could serve your description just as well as Trump does, and there are even some scientists in "top" universities who could be scrutinized in the same way. And so this kind of talk could easily crowd out the posts on what this group is all about. I've seen it happen in Usenet newsgroups, and I want no part of it.

Peter Nyikos