from psi to life in the universe

Paul Werbos

Feb 2, 2018, 9:26:07 AM2/2/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com, Rajendra Bajpai

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 5:43 AM, Stephen Jarosek <sjar...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

KASHYAP >”Earth is just a little tiny planet in a universe with billions of galaxies each with billions of stars and planets. We do not know if there is life elsewhere…

I’m not sure why the question of whether there is life elsewhere is such a mystery. I’m going to stick my neck out and suggest that it’s almost a certainty, and that it is scientific to accept this as the null hypothesis.

I agree strongly with you, Stephen, as does Hawkings and many others. But let me not invoke authority here (not a good argument), but explain a bit more and provide some pointers to things I hope people would find interesting.

Until a few years ago, we did not even have the technology to see whether earth-like planets existed much in the universe. Many people arguing against life in the universe argued that "we have no basis for believing suitable planets exist." A quick google search on exoplanets and SETI should clarify that aspect, and why thinking has changed.

I highly recommend reading David Brin's concise novel, Existence, which reviews the vast literature on "the Fermi paradox". (Brin and I have had arguments even sharper than Roman and I, on other issues, but his work in this book is still important.) Fermi asked years ago: "If life is common in the universe (as common sense suggests), if intelligence evolves naturally and allows civilization, and if interstellar travel is ultimately possible (even if slow), WHY HAVEN'T WE SEEN THE ALIENS YET?" Hundreds of possible explanations have been discussed, but at the end of the day we do not really know.

Myself, I am deeply impressed by new scientific results, even more recent than finding exoplanets. At
I posted two of the recent images of the distribution of dark matter in our universe. In my view, since I believe in evolution, I consider it highly unlikely that such a vast connected ocean of matter pulsing with energy, connected to the galaxies, would not evolve its own form of life. And that feeds into my own explanation to Fermi's question: namely, "WE are the aliens," more precisely that we are a symbiosis of the kind of life which has evolved in the ocean of dark matter and of the kind which has evolved locally (in the shadow of that other life).

But of course, that does not rule out the existence AS WELL of other forms of life in the universe.

The most popular book of science fiction  in China ( a fifth Great Classic by now?) is The Three Body Problem trilogy. I enjoyed discussing what we make of THAT viewpoint, and the Fermi question, late last year in Beijing in the key lab which leads all their work on intelligent systems. Are we on earth a single lonely village surrounded by vast hungry tigers and death, as in that novel? Or are we more like a more mature China of 1400 AD, still a tiny village, but with connections to the larger world, which offers us a mixture of threats and possibilities -- to earth as a whole, and to us as individuals (if we study hard for national exams)? They too seemed to enjoy that discussion.

Best regards,

   Paul

Vasavada, Kashyap V

Feb 2, 2018, 12:22:31 PM2/2/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Paul and Stephen,

May be there was misunderstanding of my short statement. I pretty much agree with both of  you. My main point was  that  because of complete lack of knowledge of life or consciousness in the rest of the universe, assumption by some  that consciousness must come from an organic stuff like human brain is probably wrong. It may very well be that the basic constituents of universe have some rudimentary consciousness. Task of science is to find that!

Best Regards.

Kashyap

--
----------------------------
Fifth International Conference

Send a Donation to Support Our Services: http://scienceandscientist.org/donate
(All Indian residents are eligible for tax benefits for their contributions under section 80G of the Income Tax Act)

Report Archives: http://bviscs.org/reports

Why Biology is Beyond Physical Sciences?: http://dx.doi.org/10.5923/j.als.20160601.03

Life and consciousness – The Vedāntic view: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19420889.2015.1085138

Harmonizer: http://scienceandscientist.org/harmonizer

Darwin Under Siege: http://scienceandscientist.org/Darwin

Princeton Bhakti Vedanta Institute: http://bviscs.org

Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Institute: http://scsiscs.org

Sadhu-Sanga Blog: http://mahaprabhu.net/satsanga

Contact Us: http://scsiscs.org/contact
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D." group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/Online_Sadhu_Sanga.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Online_Sadhu_Sanga/CACLqmgfAta-dyAHHb6cCAuRmq%2B9hHty9ufHHcO3DSGzOgvqcjg%40mail.gmail.com.

Paul Werbos

Feb 2, 2018, 4:25:42 PM2/2/18
On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Vasavada, Kashyap V <vasa...@iupui.edu> wrote:

Paul and Stephen,

May be there was misunderstanding of my short statement. I pretty much agree with both of  you.

Thanks, Kashyap!

Of course, my intention in my post was not to disagree with your statement, but to express agreement with Stephen's definite statement about life in the universe.

My main point was  that  because of complete lack of knowledge of life or consciousness in the rest of the universe, assumption by some  that consciousness must come from an organic stuff like human brain is probably wrong. It may very well be that the basic constituents of universe have some rudimentary consciousness.

Since my plenary talk at the first international conference on consciousness, I have been repeating the theme that consciousness is NOT an "either-or" property,
but a matter of LEVELS. Ah, if only I had the skills of Chalmers in propagating a few basic themes!

I would claim that mundane human brains do possess a certain LEVEL of consciousness, but that noospheres possess a higher LEVEL.

As it is a SYSTEMS property, not a component property, I doubt that constituents have it, but there is a possibility that the cosmos as a whole obeys mathematical laws which fit the perfect-information version of the mathematics we use to describe the kinds of intelligence/brains we are much more familiar with (all imperfect).

Best regards,

   Paul

----------------------------
[...]

Stephen Jarosek

Feb 8, 2018, 8:54:25 AM2/8/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com, Rajendra Bajpai

PAUL WERBOS>” I highly recommend reading David Brin's concise novel, Existence, which reviews the vast literature on "the Fermi paradox". (Brin and I have had arguments even sharper than Roman and I, on other issues, but his work in this book is still important.) Fermi asked years ago: "If life is common in the universe (as common sense suggests), if intelligence evolves naturally and allows civilization, and if interstellar travel is ultimately possible (even if slow), WHY HAVEN'T WE SEEN THE ALIENS YET?" Hundreds of possible explanations have been discussed, but at the end of the day we do not really know.

Paul, I commented on the Fermi paradox in my book, Transcending Scientism. I don’t believe that there is any Fermi paradox… or at least not in the context that Enrico Fermi framed it. Two particularly salient points relate to the physics of space travel, and return on investment (ROI). From Transcending Scientism (2016):

I contend that there is NO Fermi paradox. The universe looks to us precisely as it should look even with advanced civilizations thriving throughout the universe as the given. Here are the reasons:

·         Thompson (2015) [1] takes a close look at the physics, to explain why space travel at even a fraction of light speed would be injurious to aliens’ health, in her NewStatesman article, Near-light speed travel increasingly impossible, according to maths;

·         Space travel AND interstellar communications are expensive. Unless alien societies can accomplish a realistic return on investment (ROI), there is no incentive for them to reach us. Curiosity is not enough of an incentive to justify the enormous expense, and societies too stupid to realize this will be prime candidates for the Darwin awards;

·          [Etc, etc, etc… as per my previous references to “dumb dirt” and the reconciliation of physics with entropy]

[1]  Thompson, T. (2015, April 13). Near-light speed travel increasingly impossible, according to maths. New Statesman. Retrieved May 1, 2016m from http://www.newstatesman.com/sci-tech/2015/04/near-light-speed-travel-increasingly-impossible-according-maths

Us Earthlings seem to have trouble placing ourselves in the shoes of others, to imagine their motivations and reservations. The limitations of the physics (Thompson) are nontrivial. As far as radio communications are concerned, the Arecibo message in 1974 to globular star cluster M13 was expensive. And to what end? Earthbound investors are not going to enjoy a substantial ROI for a good 50,000 years (25,000 times 2). Governments formulating fiscal policy, and businesses making investment decisions, within this context, will have limited prospects for success and re-election… and rightly so. And regarding closer stars… I seem to recall that the maximum range for radio signals from our most powerful radio/television transmitters would be considerably less than 4 light-years. The nearest 25 stars to us are between 4-to-12 light-years away (for comparison, the Milky Way galaxy is 100,000 light-years across). Even if we were able to establish radio communications with any one of them… what might the practical returns be of such an investment? We should anticipate that aliens in advanced civilizations will, similar to our most astute Earthbound investors, have realistic concerns about ROI, before they would venture throwing money at projects to communicate with a remote, blue planet that they can’t even see, much less be able to mine or conquer.

Of course our experiences and inferences might be very different, were our solar system part of a densely populated globular cluster of stars… but that’s not us, we’re not there, and further conjecture is therefore pointless.

Let’s place this 25,000 years to M13 into a more realistic context. How many thousand years has European civilization existed? And closer stars within the 4-to-12 light-years from us? Governments get re-elected every four years or so, wars and social unrest take place every few decades or so. What realistic ROI can one hope to see within an 8-to-24 year return message cycle, before one can even hope to mine or to communicate anything meaningful? Investing in Hubble and space stations and satellites yields realistic returns on investment… but attempts to communicate with alien civilizations? Not so much. Even with bold and imaginative entrepreneurs like Elon Musk, I wouldn’t be holding my breath. Even bold and imaginative investors, like Elon Musk, hold genuine fears about the likely success or failure of their projects (Musk was genuinely relieved at the successful launch of Falcon Heavy). The reason that smart people don’t go throwing money at dumb projects, despite all the hype, is ROI.

Bottom line… I really don’t think that there is any Fermi paradox, at least not as defined within the context of his established parameters. The universe looks to us pretty much as it should look, were life in any of the habitable zones throughout the universe the norm. The Fermi paradox is asking the wrong questions (of course it is… its null hypothesis is based in dumb-luck, sterile materialism). But of course there still remains that interesting question… where are they? I’d rather rephrase this question, because commonsense already tells us that they’re out there. Rather, WHY are they not visiting or trying to communicate with us? This approach reframes what we should be asking:

1.       The constraints as per Thompson (2015) are nontrivial. Within the context of Newtonian physics and ROI, actual space travel, beyond the confines of any one star’s solar system, may not be an option. Evidence suggests that nobody has visited us, and nobody is ever likely to visit us. As we are not living within a densely populated globular cluster, we should get over it, and accept our isolation in a sparsely populated stretch of the Milky Way galaxy as a given;

2.       Given 1, that interstellar space travel is pretty much not an option, are there alternative communication technologies that might enable alien civilizations to connect? This, I believe, is the only viable option that merits exploring. We can, however, fairly safely rule out radio communications, given that SETI has not yielded anything positive thus far. So… are there alternative communication technologies that we should be looking for? Perhaps a technology that implements the quantum mechanics of entanglement?

3.       And what if even interstellar communications are beyond the scope of physics? There exists one final bridge across the vast expanses of space… reincarnation;

4.       And this fourth conjecture I throw in at the last minute… maybe they are visiting/communicating with us… but not on our terms.

Now before we depart from the depressing realization that there is no Fermi paradox, just one further word regarding the likely pervasiveness of life throughout the universe… out of curiosity, I’ve just googled the terms [mars soil analysis]. This lends further support to our thesis regarding the pervasiveness of life-critical dumb dirt. The following link is self-explanatory:
https://www.space.com/16895-what-is-mars-made-of.html
The chemistries and compounds contained in dumb dirt, whether Earthbound or Marsbound, are critical to life (for example, refer to Inner Life of the Cell that I posted some time ago to this forum). And anyone who insists that mechanical dumb luck is sufficient to account for this rich complexity, with its predisposition to life, despite the reality of entropy, I have trouble taking seriously (I’m looking at you, Neo-Darwinians).

Regards

Thanks much for your thoughtful post, Stephen, which fully lives up to the subject line.

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 8:48 AM, Stephen Jarosek <sjar...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

PAUL WERBOS>” I highly recommend reading David Brin's concise novel, Existence, which reviews the vast literature on "the Fermi paradox". (Brin and I have had arguments even sharper than Roman and I, on other issues, but his work in this book is still important.) Fermi asked years ago: "If life is common in the universe (as common sense suggests), if intelligence evolves naturally and allows civilization, and if interstellar travel is ultimately possible (even if slow), WHY HAVEN'T WE SEEN THE ALIENS YET?" Hundreds of possible explanations have been discussed, but at the end of the day we do not really know.

Paul, I commented on the Fermi paradox in my book, Transcending Scientism. I don’t believe that there is any Fermi paradox… or at least not in the context that Enrico Fermi framed it.

Brin looked into this issue much more formally and systematically than I have -- and his novels were mostly extremely entertaining and readable.  My fuzzy memory is that he located more than 100 "explanations" of the Fermi paradox(es), each of which said "there is no paradox when you look at it my way." But there were more than 100, and which was right? Also, he was much less interested in the history, and more in the VARIATIONS of the basic issue -- such as "why haven't we seen aliens in SETI?" versus "why haven't we seen aliens on earth?"

All are a stretch, perhaps mine too, but there are other, related data points which make it more likely (I think, my subjective probability estimate).

Two particularly salient points relate to the physics of space travel,

That refers specifically to the "why not on earth?" VERSION, ONE of the legitimate versions.

and return on investment (ROI). From Transcending Scientism (2016):

I contend that there is NO Fermi paradox. The universe looks to us precisely as it should look even with advanced civilizations thriving throughout the universe as the given. Here are the reasons:

·         Thompson (2015) [1] takes a close look at the physics, to explain why space travel at even a fraction of light speed would be injurious to aliens’ health, in her NewStatesman article, Near-light speed travel increasingly impossible, according to maths;

By now it is almost ten years since TWO groups in NASA (one in Ohio, one JPL/Caltech) asked me to be NSF liaison in their research aimed at interstellar travel, long-term. One, under Marc Millis, was more into high risk efforts to learn new science; the other, at JPL, was very solidly within the realm of the known. Both worked very hard, pulling together the best of what was known at that time, and both basically gave a clear "Go" signal -- the main barriers being politics, which are by now a barrier even to short-term survival.

I doubt that a 2015 paper would reflect the implications of new knowledge beyond what these groups knew about.
Also, it's clear that physics of earth today has not yet caught on to lots of things.

·         Space travel AND interstellar communications are expensive. Unless alien societies can accomplish a realistic return on investment (ROI), there is no incentive for them to reach us. Curiosity is not enough of an incentive to justify the enormous expense, and societies too stupid to realize this will be prime candidates for the Darwin awards;

The old SETI folks did not assume special efforts to communicate to us, but merely the kind of stuff we were moving to for our own purposes. Wireless is not decreasing on earth even as technology progresses.

But at the end of the day, even Brin admitted all he could do is guess. His novel combines a few of the possibilities. It struck me as being driven IN PART by a powerful intuition, but I suppose he is more like your stereotype of scientism (he would say progressivism), which tends to be blind in more than one area. He really blew up when I said something nice (however qualified) about Orson Scott Card.

Best of luck,

   Paul

na...@dutertre.com

Feb 8, 2018, 6:40:13 PM2/8/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com

Stephen and Paul,

Regarding the Fermi paradox:

1.       Stephen: And this fourth conjecture I throw in at the last minute… maybe they are visiting/communicating with us… but not on our terms. “

2.      Paul: “And that feeds into my own explanation to Fermi's question: namely, "WE are the aliens," more precisely that we are a symbiosis of the kind of life which has evolved in the ocean of dark matter and of the kind which has evolved locally (in the shadow of that other life).”

Yes, this is correct.  They are visiting but not on our “normal” terms.

I am giving a presentation next week at the International UFO Congress and my topic is “Remote Viewing the Extraterrestrials.”  I am proposing new ways of finding corroborative evidence of ETs given the fact that their physical manifestations are either hidden or involve various alternate mind states.  I wrote a book called “How To Talk an Alien” in which I explored the issue of alien communications using comparative linguistics.  Certainly, Arecibo was an attempt based on primitive assumptions about alien communication, not mention, as you say, not very helpful in our timeframe.

Besides, I have my own personal experience(s).  I have received “alien communications” along with my daughter, after we jointly witnessed, on June 19, 2011,  at close range in Parsippany, New Jersey, a boomerang sized UFO/UAP 500-1,000 feet in the air, a half mile away, clear visibility, covered with 20-30 orange lights, the size of a football field, hovering without movement, from which emerged a strange 20 foot diameter white luminescent orb that traveled circuitously around the craft as though intelligently guided, disappeared behind it, then re-docked on the wing and telescoped closed, before the entire craft either disappeared or dematerialized in three phases as you switch off a TV set.

At the time, 2011, I did not “believe” in UFOs or ETs.  So I was very confused by what I saw.  My daughter was terrified.  Long story-very short, for the next year and a half, my daughter and I began to receive very strange interruptions in our phone calls.  A strange, metallic-sounding electronic voice, sounding male, would cut in, we could both hear it but could no longer hear each other, and it would speak as if through tremendous sound-wave distortion in an unknown language.  Once it said my daughter’s name.  Then when it was finished it would hang up both of our lines simultaneously and we would be unable to call each other back for about 10 minutes.  It didn’t matter what combination of landlines or cell phones we used.  Eventually, it began to cut into conversations between her and her friends, and me and a client, a famous psychologist (who exclaimed immediately that whatever she had heard it was “not of this earth.”).

Then the calls stopped.  My daughter and I did not discuss it again over the intervening five years.  Then in October, 2017, I “heard” this voice telepathically.  It woke me up in the middle of the night and was clearly identifiable as the same voice.  I don’t know what it said.  I called my daughter the next morning and told her.  She said she had heard the same voice again, for the first time in five years, just two days earlier when she tried to leave a phone message for a friend and the voice cut in on her phone line.  At any rate, my experience is not the only one.  This has occurred with many other “experiencers” – and I only learned afterwards.

My point is:  They are communicating with us.  It is not by generally accepted means.  Much of it is in this strange realm of quasi-“mental” space.  That is also how they manifest their presence, play mind control games (erasing memories, creating screen memories, inducing suspended animation, time distortion), and travel.  It is under a wholly different set of rules.  It is not a matter of radio waves.. ..

And yes, I believe we are, in fact, the “aliens” to many of these species.  Many military remote viewers caught “spying” on these beings have felt like they may have been the “frightening ghost spirits” to these beings…  I think that’s what happens when you have radically different configurations of matter and consciousness colliding…

Best,

Nancy du Tertre

“The Skeptical Psychic”

www.theskepticalpsychic.com

George Weissmann

Feb 8, 2018, 6:40:13 PM2/8/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Extraterrestrial intelligence not only exists but they are constantly in contact, and have been observed by millions, many governments (e. g. France, Mexico, Canada) have disclosed this fact, and even the US which has been completely secretive in the past (as they have about their psi research and it’s applications) has recently begun to cautiously and indirectly disclose this. So the “paradox” is no paradox.

Sent from my iPhone

georg...@aol.com

Feb 9, 2018, 4:12:16 AM2/9/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nancy, sangha

most interesting, thanks for sharing. Now that you have :come out: as a ET experiencer, I will do my own coming out in this matter. The reason I was so confident in my last communication on this post that there is no Fermi paradox, that we are being visited and under constant surveillance, is that i myself experienced it too.

I have the whole diary in meticulous detail, noted down shorty after I experienced it, in the Sangre de Cristo mountains in Colorado in 1989. I will not go into detail here, as not everyone may be interested, but I am willing to share with those interested. Suffice it to say that I too was somewhat skeptical or at least agnostic about UFO's and ET's at the time. I went into the mountains one night with a companion I only knew superficially, and she told me that ET's had come to her at her request. She said we could do a little ritual to request a "visit". I though the idea was utterly preposterous, but decided to humor her. It was at night. About 20 minutes or so after our little ritual, a light zigzagged across the sky, the object grew larger and larger, and finally hovered about 100 meters above our heads: it was circular (disk-shaped) and had colored lights flashing; it must have been about 30 meters wide (but it could have been higher and proportionally larger). I was terrified and dove for cover in a bush, my companion accompanied me though she later said that she was not afraid; the beam from the object followed us and shone onto the bush; I stayed in the bush for what seemed 3 minutes, while the UFO continued to hover there, noiselessly. Then suddenly it accelerated away so fast that it disappeared from sight in less than second; I rushed out and towards a ledge in the direction it had disappeared, but it was gone.  The next morning we heard on the local news that a UFO had been sighted in the neighborhood. I never discussed that experience with a living soul for 15 years (afraid of not being believed, ridiculed etc). But then I reconnected with my companion of that night, a school principal in Boston, and we recalled our experience, and found that our recollections were very similar. After that I gradually told a few people about it.

This experience showed me first hand not only that UFO's were real, but that they were in "telepathic" connection with us (for how would they otherwise have appeared after our ritual, and never otherwise?). More than 20 years after that first experience, i had another encounter that was witnessed by two members of my family, where 5 UFO's in a "w" formation followed us in the Mojave desert for more than 25 miles, and then again whizzed away extremely fast so they practically disappeared in an instant. But this time they were farther away, we didn't see any details of their shape.

Since then I have studied the literature extensively, including by numerous military and security personnel, caught on military radar, recovered a crashed UFO. a friend who observed antigravity equipment operating that had been retro-engineered by the defense company he was working for, encountered psychologists who had researched (with hypnotic recall) people who had been abducted by UFO and examined, spoken with many "experiencers" who have had encounters with aliens, and much much else that is too bizarre for me to talk about. Although there are flakes and enthusiasts among the UFO community, many of the people are extremely serious and reliable.

So yes, we are being visited, contacted. There is no Fermi paradox.

I would like to add that the alien experience is not of one kind. Some are definitely physical, in craft that can travel without traversing the space in between (so they are not bound by the speed of light). Others seem to be "interdimensional", not necessarily physical in our sense. It is all pretty mind-blowing. enough for today :-)

I would love to talk to you more about all this, Nancy.

george
------------------------

Bruce Smith

Feb 9, 2018, 6:24:14 AM2/9/18
to georgeweis via Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D.

I'd love to hear more along this line of exploration. I think it dovetails neatly with the discussion on consciousness. I have had my own "experiencer" experiences, but nothing as visceral as these recent accounts seem to be. Mine are more in the vein of "lucid dream states." But I have spent a fair amount of time attempting to contact my "contacters" via mediation. I have also done a fair amount of Remote Viewing to assist my investigatory efforts as a journalist and author, especially in the DB Cooper case.

Bruce A. Smith
Eatonville, WA
bruce...@rainierconnect.com

georg...@aol.com

Feb 12, 2018, 4:50:35 AM2/12/18
to Online_Sa...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Bruce. I would be interested if you could touch some more your experiments,a nd experiences hinted at in your last sentence

Bruce Smith

Feb 13, 2018, 8:09:05 PM2/13/18
to georgeweis via Sadhu-Sanga Under the holy association of Spd. B.M. Puri Maharaja, Ph.D.

Greetings George,

I am both an investigative journalist and a student of Ramtha the Enlightened One. In the latter's school I've learned some of the fundamentals of remote viewing, and I've applied my knowledge to seek more answers from the beings who have participated with me in the "abduction" phenomena. In addition and more recently, I have used RV to further my understanding of the DB Cooper case, and I've attached the chapter on RV that I included in my book: DB Cooper and the FBI - A Case Study of America's Only Unsolved Skyjacking.

This discussion is getting very interesting! Thanks for reaching out to me.

Bruce A. Smith
The Mountain News-WA
Eatonville, WA
360. 832. 6248
Chapter 34, remote viewing, 2. 13. 18.odt