Extracting Meta Networks from BEND Reports

Lynnette Ng

Sep 4, 2020, 8:38:37 PM9/4/20
to ORA Google Group
Hello!

Two questions:

1. How might I be able to extract the full network from BEND reports? Currently, selecting topic groups and selecting Extract Meta Networks extracts a network with only Topic Groups and Agent nodesets. How could I manipulate the existing meta networks to get the other nodesets like Tweets?

2. In the second tab in BEND reports, on selecting agents, how can I extract those particular agents and associated nodesets into another meta network? Also, how can I grab the Top Concepts column as an additional attribute for each agent?

Kathleen Carley

Sep 5, 2020, 9:52:26 AM9/5/20
to ORA List
currently those are not possible

for the second one
do you mean a set of attributes one for each of top n concepts and then the value is 1 if they use it and 0 otherwise?
or do you mean a list of the top concepts they use
They latter would be an awkward attribute and would take up a lot of space and you can just see it by looking at the agent x knowledge network.

You can add as an attribute to knowledge that is its degree in the agent x knowledge network - which shows how often it is used

--
Computational Analysis of Social and Organizational Systems (CASOS)
The Institute for Software Research, Department of Computer Science

Jeff Reminga

Sep 5, 2020, 4:53:23 PM9/5/20
to ORA-goog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lynnette,

There is a new version of ORA to be released soon that supports #1, that is, when you Extract Meta Networks the documents (tweets, in your example) are now exported as well.

For #2, the BEND report is designed to analyze Topic Oriented Communities (TOC), formerly known as Topic Groups. The TOCs for the selected agents can certainly be exported.
If you would like to extract the meta-network associated with the tweets of a particular agent, then I would use the Sphere of Influence tool (or the Ego Networks report) to extract that meta-network. If this is twitter data, then you should also use Data Management \ Meta-Network Derived Data to recompute "derived" networks from the "base" networks extracted.

Thanks,
Jeff

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 8:38 PM Lynnette Ng <totally...@gmail.com> wrote:

Lynnette Ng

Sep 5, 2020, 9:05:11 PM9/5/20
to ORA Google Group
Hi Dr Carley and Jeff,

I've understood now, thank you for answering my questions and pointing me to amazing ORA functions!